Avengers Cost NYC $160 Billion in Damages

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Avengers Cost NYC $160 Billion in Damages

A super showdown would cost NYC twice as much as 9/11.

As much as most of us would love to have superpowers, it's times like this that we should thank our lucky stars that we don't. Flying around vanquishing evil sounds like a pretty good deal until you realize that for every superhero, there must always be an equal but opposite supervillain, like a karmic version of Newton's third law. For example, Loki, Norse god Thor's arch-nemesis, ended up proving a formidable match for the entire Avengers team in last week's mega-blockbuster film. Had Loki's alien invasion of Manhattan happened in real life, the damages would have topped $160 billion, far exceeding those of 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, and even the Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami.

The estimate comes by way of Kinetic Analysis Corporation, a disaster preparation analytics company centered in Silver Spring, MD. By measuring the relative amount of private and public property, vehicular damage, infrastructure collapse (particularly around Grand Central Station), and cleanup costs, the KAC came up with a staggering $60-70 billion figure. However, the real economic impact would be from the productivity costs, price gouging, and expensive litigation over the course of the next few years, which could top $90 billion. Compare this with the $83 billion cost of 9/11, or the $90 billion of Hurricane Katrina.

Worst of all, most insurance policies do not cover alien invasion. This means that the damages could end up classified as acts of war or terrorism, which the U.S. government has granted insurance companies until 2014 to address. While the Chitauri invasion under Loki's direction may count as a literal "Act of God," the KAC believes "that designation would be subject to strenuous theological and legal debate." The responsibility breakdown between clients, insurers, and government agencies would take years to iron out in and of itself.

Then again, this is all a make-believe thought experiment, so maybe it's just as well that the Avengers and their villains are confined to page and screen. Next time, maybe the Avengers could politely talk down whatever cosmic threat is about to engulf Earth - or at least engage it in an open field somewhere.

Source: Kinetic Analysis Corporation via The Hollywood Reporter

And I bet that Dam communist Obama would still bail them out. :P

Aww... I read the title expecting to read something about how the movie itself cost NYC $160 billion in damages. I would have loved to hear that story.

Marshall Honorof:
While the Chitauri invasion under Loki's direction may count as a literal "Act of God," the KAC believes "that designation would be subject to strenuous theological and legal debate."

Pretty sure Hulk put that argument to rest in a hurry.

why is Loki Thors nemesis? Liko was jsut a trickster int he mythology wasnt he?

in fact I think loki came up with the Idea to get thor to dress in drag to trick a bunch of goblins who stole thors hammer......mythology, not the comics

DVS BSTrD:
And I bet that Dam communist Obama would still bail them out.

it looks like to me the damn did "bail out" after all...

*troll bait on troll first post*

OT: I would love for them to calculate damages in a single power rangers episode, Angel grove must have limitless dollars with all the buildings they rebuild in between episodes.

Am I the only one who thinks that sounds really really low?

During 9/11, how many buildings were actually destroyed? About a dozen destroyed and another dozen badly damaged or so, correct?

The Alien Invasion seems like it had completely demolished and trashed way more buildings than 25, not to mention cleanup of the giant flying worms that have armor that can just shrug off most attacks...

Fantastic. I was wondering about this, actually. When the giant carrier/shark thing falls on top of the building, I was moaning about "ugh, it's gonna take ages to get that down!" Poor NYC, always getting the shaft.

Vault101:

in fact I think loki came up with the Idea to get thor to dress in drag to trick a bunch of goblins who stole thors hammer......mythology, not the comics

Yeah but he was also just an all around dick, remember he tricked Baldlr's own brother to kill him with mistletoe. Plus he's also the the father (AND mother) of a lot nasty creatures.

In the Marvel universe Thor is Loki's older brother by adoption so there is the ol' sibling rivalry, plus all the other Asgardians weren't shy about reminding Loki he wasn't a true Aesir. This inevitably leads Loki to become very jealous of Thor.

DVS BSTrD:

Vault101:

Yeah but he was also just an all around dick, remember he tricked Baldlr's own brother to kill him with mistletoe. Plus he's also the the father (AND mother) of a lot nasty creatures.

In the Marvel universe Thor is Loki's older brother by adoption so there is the ol' sibling rivalry, plus all the other Asgardians weren't shy about reminding Loki he wasn't a true Aesir. This inevitably leads Loki to become very jealous of Thor.

ah Isee....though in the story I mentioned Loki is helping thor

...I'm now imagining a Trigun-esque situation with insurance girls following around the Avengers.

Vault101:

DVS BSTrD:

Vault101:

Well Thor and Loki weren't brothers in the original mythology, and Loki used up his good will among the gods when he killed Baldur. As punishment Loki is bound to the tree by the gods with the entrails of one of his sons. The goddess Skaši placed a serpent above his head that drips venom that Loki's wife Sigyn collects into a bowl. She must empty the bowl when it is full, and when the venom drips on Loki he writhes in pain, causing earthquakes. With the onset of Ragnarök, Loki is foretold to slip free from his bonds and to fight against the gods among the forces of the jötnar, and he will fight the god Heimdallr and the two will slay each other.

Considering that this is a comic book universe, I'm not too worried about property damage on this scale. New York is the site of all sorts of mayhem in that universe and the economy manages to truck on just fine.

in times like this we can only rest our hopes on captain statutory consultee with his super human evaluation and report writing skills

...But we get to keep our planet! Yaaaaay!

Well, I'd assume superheroes would either have to help rebuild or would somehow be blamed for the destruction. Yes, the life of a hero is a tough one.

[Also see: The Incredibles]

Worst of all, most insurance policies do not cover alien invasion.

Looks like a good reason to change insurance agencies if you ask me... What agency covers "alien invasion" anyway?

I always got a kick out of how this large scale super hero destruction problem is handled within Marvel comics. There is actually an insurance/construction corporation called Damage Control which is responsible for fixing up all the damage caused by super beat downs. Damage Control employees are an odd mixture of suit stuffed Bureaucrats, and low-rent (we're talking Z-Level) super heroes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damage_Control_(comics)

but couldn't you make everyone pitch in
"hey china, you are still alive, now please hand over a few billion dollars"
also didn't stark build some kind of super renewable energy source, that should be able to cover a lot of the costs.

Wow, imagine how fucked they'd be if this movie flopped?

Vault101:

DVS BSTrD:

Vault101:

Yes, but if my memory servers...it was Lokis fault Thors hammer was gone in the first place, and Thor threatened to stomp on his face if he didnt get it back. I could be mistaken, I just seem to remember that was what happened.

OT: The cost of the chitauri invading the entire world would probably be more than 90 billion...

Doesn't matter, still waiting for my superpowers to be revealed through some revelation or prophecy and not be disappointed like the time I never got my letter from hogwarts, leaving a mental scar and my power better be something bad-ass like time manipulation and I will wait forever if I have to!

Compare that to the Chitauri invading earth or the nuclear missile hitting the city and it's still an acceptable loss.

DVS BSTrD:

Vault101:

Can you blame Loki? The other gods forced him to betray the giants on multiple occations despite his half giant origin. All of his children have been either exiled or imprisoned and Slepnir is used as a simple mount for Odin. All of the other gods are just as big of dicks as he is or worse.

Real Avengers would cost NYC $160 Billion in Damages.
There, much better. Edit please. *smirk*

Soooooo, never mind, silly title and story.

Now, keeping on the track of silliness, someone should calculate the total damages that would be needed in the film 2012.

As always... its all fun and games until it comes time to foot the bill...

Can we report an Escapist writer for having a misleading title? :3

Anyways, I do think it's a neat little study. Anyone notice that the destruction heroes cause is arguably worse than that of the villain they're facing? You really gotta wonder hypothetically how a city (or hell, even nation) is supposed to recover after such an UNnatural disaster.

Holy shit, I thought they LITERALLY were indebted to NYC 160 billion. I was about to cry.

Vault101:

the mythology is ever so fucked up, it would be near impossible to accommodate every aspect of it especially due its rather graphic and bizar concepts. the birth of slepnir comes to mind. a god getting raped by a horse is not exactly family entertainment.. at least not for americans.

i just remembered that a danish comic called valhalla, which was meant for children to read about the old myths and sagas without falling asleep, and if i remember correctly it was rather explicit with violence and full on nudity........ but still boring yeah i dont know how they managed to do it but the creators of the comic actually made violence and sex boring... as far as i remember of course.

OT: There is something comforting knowing that someone is watching all our science fiction movies and estimating costs. It is also rather disquieting in some way

Y no opportunity cost assessment? With the cost for not having any avengers present being best summed up as "All the money, all the freedom, and most of the lives," the Avengers would actually be a rather cost-effective approach to the problem. (Especially considering the only other solution has all kinds of fallout - literal and figurative.

Hurray for useless analyses. On topic, it's interesting to see that an advanced alien invasion that's supposed to result in the end of the world/enslavement of our entire planet only cost us twice as much as ramming a few planes into buildings, which we're fully capable of doing ourselves. Kinda disappointing as far as bad guys go.

I dunno. There's a Shawarma restaurant that managed to make *some* money out of it... ;)

Bonus points if they quote that figure in the next movie.

The Escapist can't into naming articles. I was extremely happy, hoping some nasty shit happened in New York so that I can laugh my ass off, but as usual, misleading titles to grab attention have tricked me. This seems to be the norm on this website.

Vault101:

I'm not sure how you would define "nemesis"

He's just as much an antagonist in the mythology as he is in the comics, and the comics incorporated most of the business from the mythology as well. The death of balder, birth of fenris, to name a few.

He's Thor's nemesis because he's constantly tricking, killin' and thieving.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here