More Unskippable Piracy Warnings for DVDs

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

>many blu ray movie prices still in the 30-80 dollar range because of market monopoly
>anti-terrorism department used by cororations to take down websites without due process
>still inconvenience paying customers

Yeeeea, fuck the entertainment executives. I don't have any sympathy for those companies nor do I care how much they're pirated. They can cry me a river of golden tears.

We all got computers, I watch all my dvds on my laptop now anyway, my parents still use their ps3, I don't know if they can skip the ads on it since I never watch the movies they watch. DVD players have become obsolete, they're so inconvenient compared to our other options now, but until the day we're charged to use our CD drives. (Which I believe is gonna happen with windows 8...) Then I'll continue to buy movies and have my good ol' laptop to skip this garbage. The ads they play are all of movies I don't give two shits about anyway and I never buy those.

captcha: well done

Thanks captcha?

Yes the usual thinking "we can not seem to stop piracy so we will see if the public will do it for us"

Spygon:
Yes the usual thinking "we can not seem to stop piracy so we will see if the public will do it for us"

More like the usual thinking "let's punish paying customers".

dafuq, HOW DOES THIS HELP ANYONE?!?!

(rhetorical question, the answer is it doesn't) >_<

*captain obvious leaves*

Would you?

Tipsy Giant:
No, it's your poor distribution methods and pricing model that causes piracy, not a lack of information about what a crime is.

This. This a thousand times, then a couple more until your eyes bleed.

I think if they wanted people to really care, and they still thought the only way to go about getting people to care was with ads and warnings, at least make them interesting. instead of walls of text and stupid eagles, maybe actually try to make them funny? or silly? or show a well known video game/movie character getting pissed off, losing his house because "the pirates make him lose money?"

All im saying is, if I thought I was getting Link kicked out of his tree house, I'd buy all the DVD's.

All. The. DVD's.

thereverend7:

Tipsy Giant:
No, it's your poor distribution methods and pricing model that causes piracy, not a lack of information about what a crime is.

I think if they wanted people to really care, and they still thought the only way to go about getting people to care was with ads and warnings, at least make them interesting. instead of walls of text and stupid eagles, maybe actually try to make them funny? or silly? or show a well known video game/movie character getting pissed off, losing his house because "the pirates make him lose money?"

All im saying is, if I thought I was getting Link kicked out of his tree house, I'd buy all the DVD's.

All. The. DVD's.

So instead of 10 second static images, you want 30 second ads. No thank you.

Crono1973:

thereverend7:

Tipsy Giant:

All. The. DVD's.

The whole point is that this is ANOTHER 10 seconds adding on to the already several warnings we have. so it's already over 30 seconds of wait time, and its just boring, stupid text.

My point was, it might get people to actually care if they just said "Ok, the warnings aren't working" and just have one commercial that might actually make someone laugh/care as opposed to just rolling their eyes or leaving the room, as it is currently.

thereverend7:

Crono1973:

thereverend7:

All. The. DVD's.

The whole point is that this is ANOTHER 10 seconds adding on to the already several warnings we have. so it's already over 30 seconds of wait time, and its just boring, stupid text.

My point was, it might get people to actually care if they just said "Ok, the warnings aren't working" and just have one commercial that might actually make someone laugh/care as opposed to just rolling their eyes or leaving the room, as it is currently.

Don't encourage them to annoy people even more with live action propaganda. People don't give a shit because they finally realize they have been getting ripped off for years by Hollywood and the music industry. iTunes saved the music industry, what will save Hollywood? Not annoying ads.

Crono1973:

thereverend7:

Crono1973:

Don't encourage them to annoy people even more with live action propaganda. People don't give a shit because realize they have been getting ripped off for years by Hollywood and the music industry. iTunes saved the music industry, what will save Hollywood? Not annoying ads.

...I, uh, wasn't saying they need to use propaganda. But I see your point. I was trying to offer a solution in a way that they would probably use (AKA the tried and true method of ads) but your absolutely right, it would do nothing to "save" Hollywood.

This is fucking stupid. Forcing legitimate customers to watch this UNSKIPPABLE shit every time they watch a movie will make them want to get a version that doesn't force them to put up with it, i.e. an mp4 file. Same applies to intrusive DRM.
Being treated as a criminal for legitimately buying stuff is not how you deal with piracy.

Recently in the UK, I've been seeing a lot more DVDs that come up with a great big "THANK YOU", basically providing positive reinforcement. I realise a pat on the back isn't much but it's at least as effective as "You wouldn't steal a handbag!" and it's much nicer.

On the subject of which... I haven't, thank you, and I didn't steal you, so kindly shut up so I can watch Keanu Reeves backflip off a wall :D

So I'm expecting the forum to be filled with people who are angry at this new inconvenience, whilst totally apathetic to piracy and utterly incapable of suggesting a way for the government to magically fix the problem.

Yes, it is annoying. But I'm willing to man up and accept that it is probably a necessary evil when there is no obvious solution to an endemic crime. Pointing out that this new warning will hardly solve piracy is not a good argument. You're saying that if one can't achieve a perfect result, there is no point in trying anything in the first place. That is not helpful.

I liked the I.T Crowd's anti-piracy bit. It was the standard "You wouldn't..." ad, but they added "You wouldn't shoot a cop and steal his hat, take a dump in the hat, mail it to his wife and then steal it back would you?"

Use VLC to watch your DVDs, it skips all the unskippable crap even if the disk says "Make this unskippable."

RJ Dalton:
Forgive me if I personally feel that the people who are victims in this crime are harmful leeches on society who have no right to exist.

Who are you referring to? The industry, the pirates or the consumers?

Pirates are selfish, entitled shits who pee in the pool, the industry are the ones who stick up signs telling people to stop it, and the consumers are the ones who suffer both the piss yellow water and the obnoxious signs. Consumers like to complain about the signs, whilst failing to realize that they should be moaning about the ones who pissed in the pool in the first place.

It's such a great plan to make the original product worse, when battling against illegal copies of it.

Kiardras:
More, unskippable warnings won't do anything except piss people off and drive them to pirate. Same as DRM does.

To be fair 200 million dollars only buys about a weeks worth of producer blow. Then it's out on the streets... and to the beach house for more blow.

maninahat:

RJ Dalton:
Forgive me if I personally feel that the people who are victims in this crime are harmful leeches on society who have no right to exist.

Pirates are selfish, entitled shits who pee in the pool, the industry are the ones who stick up signs telling people to stop it, and the consumers are the ones who suffer both the piss yellow water and the obnoxious signs. Consumers like to complain about the signs, whilst failing to realize that they should be moaning about the ones who pissed in the pool in the first place.

The industry is an exploitative cabal of greedy fucks who take all the profit from the creative endeavors of others, file lawsuits against individuals worth millions of dollars for what amounts to petty larceny, use unethical business practices to avoid paying those who do the real work what they are owed and ultimately contribute nothing at all to society.
The people that piracy generally "hurts" are people who have no right to the money they lost on piracy anyway. I have no sympathy for them and never will.

You know for a website that likes to crack down on piracy advocacy, you really need to stop creating threads that make piracy tantalizing.

theultimateend:

Heimir:

Water is a bad analogy as that you need to live. And even pot will in length have effects on your brain even in moderate use. Water will not. That and water has 0% chance to cause psychosis. Whereas it is low but for some unlucky sods, I think it's like 1 in 1000'ish who gets it, effects vary. So, no it's not effectivley harmless. Pull your head out of your butt ;) What's worse than the anit-pot nazis is the stoner morons who try to make it look like it's completley side effect free.

However I am all for legalizing it as that would make it pharmacy or state run depending on where you live and therefor rip a huge chunk of cash from criminal scumbags income as people would go for the safer, more risk free and less "have to deal with criminal scumbags" way.

I'm sorry, I made the mistake of listening to 4+ years of behavioral neuroscience education.

I'll be sure to take your advice instead.

Water is not a bad analogy because the point was that even things we need to live can kill us in large doses.

There is absolutely no evidence that moderate use of marijuana will lead to you being retarded. Similarly many of the most successful people in human history have been drug users of one kind or another.

Again, speaking as someone who doesn't go harder than Tylenol (which I'll admit is quite hefty).

Kinda off topic but this gets under my skin too when people blatantly misinform about things. First it's impossible for something to cause psychosis. Psychosis is a blanket term that can mean any number of things. Saying it causes psychosis is like saying something causes disease it sounds scary because it is so ill defined but it prevents any and all critical thinking. In this case the psychosis most falsely associated with pot is schizophrenia.

Here's the problem few studies show this link and when they do it is fairly weak. The main causes of schizophrenia that we know as well as science can tell is a large genetic component found using twin studies and a high stress environment. In other words some people are genetically more susceptible to developing schizophrenia in a high stress environment then others. Most develop the condition in mid to late teens. The connection between schizophrenia and pot is only corollary meaning that there is no proven cause and effect between the two only that the use of one increases with the probability of the other occurring (at a very minor rate). The problem with correlation studies is that one can not rule out a possible third factor that may be related to both.

In this case I have already stated the third link between the two; stress. Stress increases the likelihood of schizophrenia and also teens in many high stress situations (bad home, disabilities at home, poverty, just being a anxiety riddled teen) all increase the likelihood to experiment with drugs; the first and foremost of which they would be most likely to try would be marijuana. So the correlation is small and has an easily explainable alternative and so is most likely bunk. The problem is that those on the anti pot side come across this and blow it out of proportion and insinuate that it really is a horrible horrible thing despite it being completely flawed and framed to be a blatant lie. God I hate bad science.

And the pirates continue to watch their movies online without any problems due to this all being cut out and all this does is annoy real customers.

I was going to talk about how this is counter productive because it only harms consumers and not pirates but since others have already done so here's another reason it's counter productive:

Speaking as a non-pirate, these things are not only whiny, but useless. I saw this ad on a DVD once that smugly informed my that not only would I not steal a purse, but I wouldn't download a car. I'm currently debating which of these is more annoying.

Eleuthera:
Good idea, the three warnings we get at the moment never really managed to convince me... but this one will surely do the job...

more or less what I see happening.

I don't really think many people are going to be swayed by this. I'd be surprised if even one person was.

Heimir:

Water is a bad analogy as that you need to live. And even pot will in length have effects on your brain even in moderate use. Water will not. That and water has 0% chance to cause psychosis. Whereas it is low but for some unlucky sods, I think it's like 1 in 1000'ish who gets it, effects vary. So, no it's not effectivley harmless. Pull your head out of your butt ;) What's worse than the anit-pot nazis is the stoner morons who try to make it look like it's completley side effect free.

However I am all for legalizing it as that would make it pharmacy or state run depending on where you live and therefor rip a huge chunk of cash from criminal scumbags income as people would go for the safer, more risk free and less "have to deal with criminal scumbags" way.

You can overdose, and die, from drinking too much water.
You can't die from marijuana.

ohsnap.

Marijuana has less harmful side effects than most over the counter drugs, like aspirin. In fact its more healthy than most things you ingest on a daily basis, it's been used as medicin for a very long time.

Lobbying is what has made it illegal, not the effects.

I don't smoke weed by the way, but I do keep myself informed. You should try the same.

RJ Dalton:

maninahat:

RJ Dalton:

The industry is an exploitative cabal of greedy fucks who take all the profit from the creative endeavors of others, file lawsuits against individuals worth millions of dollars for what amounts to petty larceny, use unethical business practices to avoid paying those who do the real work what they are owed and ultimately contribute nothing at all to society.
The people that piracy generally "hurts" are people who have no right to the money they lost on piracy anyway. I have no sympathy for them and never will.

Yes, the industry is exploitative, greedy and unethical. But it is not an invulnerable, faceless monolith. It is mostly made up of minimum wage workers and struggling artists - the first to feel the pinch when profits drop, the first victims of piracy, and the least deserving of your condemnation. They are the industry - not just some suits at the top.

Also, the industry contributes a great deal. As you're on a video game website, I assume you play video games. Guess who provided the money to produce those games, the resources for the artists, the headquarters for those minds to come together, and the distribution service that allows millions of people like you to play the games. You may not think much of the industry, but without it, there would be no games.*

* Don't even think of trying to counter with some bullshit about indie games. Indie games still rely on the technology developed by big studios, and indie game developers hate piracy even more than any AAA brand.

Dandark:
Clearly this will solve piracy. However could I have not realized that the way to combat piracy is to do the very thing that can help breed piracy. Luckily we had the US goverment to ignore evidence and logic as they are so good at doing.

Would you mind providing me with that evidence? I'd be very interested to see some of it. What's more, how does a ten-second-long warning breed piracy? Personally I don't think the average consumer stands there in the store going: "No, I want to buy this movie, but I won't because it will probably contain an anti-piracy message."

maninahat:

RJ Dalton:

That analogy doesn't work that well. It implies that pirates are directly affecting the paying customers, when in fact all the problems for the paying customers comes form how the industry reacts to them.

In the end dealing with pirates isn't your job. All you should care about is getting a quality product. Keeping the interests in check should be the job of the corporation. All the problems come from the fact that the corporations are trying to build shareholder confidence with flashy but in the end useless fixes instead of trying to satisfy customers.

Piracy isn't a problem. Instead it is an excuse, an excuse to for businesses to employ methods and practices to more tightly control and regulate what the average consumer can do with the technology at their disposal.

Technology that we supposedly own, media that we supposedly own, all of which are increasingly being sold as defective by design. We are sold physical media and told we only bought a license to what it contains. We are sold pieces of technology that have limitations built into them through both the construction of the device and the programming that allows it to function, despite there being no reason for it apart than the deliberate crippling or lobotomy benefits everyone, else, everyone other than the person who bought the device.

How cute

Right then time to prepare something in the kitchen I be back later

How much crap like this they put in it how more sad they look. Seriously!

Sometimes I think that the MPAA does obnoxious shit like this to make more people turn to piracy. And then, when DVD/BluRay sales inevitably drop, they can point to their shrinking bottom lines, turn to their lobbyists with big, tearful doe eyes, and proclaim "SEE?! Piracy is killing our industry!"

maninahat:
So I'm expecting the forum to be filled with people who are angry at this new inconvenience, whilst totally apathetic to piracy and utterly incapable of suggesting a way for the government to magically fix the problem.

Yes, it is annoying. But I'm willing to man up and accept that it is probably a necessary evil when there is no obvious solution to an endemic crime. Pointing out that this new warning will hardly solve piracy is not a good argument. You're saying that if one can't achieve a perfect result, there is no point in trying anything in the first place. That is not helpful.

Man up? You mean bend over.

This is called "punishing your paying customer" and actually encourages piracy. This is another case of the pirate getting the better product.

Oh and the whole "it doesn't have to be perfect" strawman was a nice touch.

Paradoxrifts:
Piracy isn't a problem. Instead it is an excuse, an excuse to for businesses to employ methods and practices to more tightly control and regulate what the average consumer can do with the technology at their disposal.

Technology that we supposedly own, media that we supposedly own, all of which are increasingly being sold as defective by design. We are sold physical media and told we only bought a license to what it contains. We are sold pieces of technology that have limitations built into them through both the construction of the device and the programming that allows it to function, despite there being no reason for it apart than the deliberate crippling or lobotomy benefits everyone, else, everyone other than the person who bought the device.

Absolutely! There is nothing I can add to this but to avoid a low content post let me just say that indeed, piracy and used sales are used as scapegoats to do shit that people would not allow with any other product. Imagine your washing machine refusing to wash socks without an additional fee. Imagine your washing machine having a built in tv screen (that you don't want but is worked into the price) so it can display anti-used appliances propaganda and unskippable ads for new washers.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here