Dishonored Gets a Date

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Dishonored Gets a Date

The steampunk stealth-action game Dishonored is coming in October.

Once, you were the most trusted bodyguard of the Empress. But framed for her murder, you were forced to become something else entirely: an assassin of almost legendary ability, blessed or cursed with supernatural abilities by an unknown force. And now, you're after revenge.

That's the setup in Dishonored, the new stealth-action game from Dark Messiah studio Arkane that takes place in the steampunk-inspired "industrial whaling city" of Dunwall. The setting alone has me pretty wound up, but it's the promise of "Choose Your Own Homicide" gameplay that really does it for me. Do you stealth this guy? Yell and scream and chop him up into little pieces with a battleax? Or maybe use some of that hoodoo-voodoo stuff on him? You decide!

Of course, we won't know how well it actually plays for awhile, because the game won't be out until October - October 9 in North America, to be precise, and October 12 in Europe. In the meantime, have a look at the official box art, which I think can best be described as "okay" but not much more. It's a nice rendering of the lead character's groovy murder mask and I suppose that funky clock tower in the background is there to remind everyone that this is a steampunk joint, but all in all it's pretty flat. Hope the game shows a little more inspiration.

So remember: October 9, or October 12 if you're on the wrong side of the wet fantastic, for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. To find out more about Dishonored, check out www.dishonored.com.

All I know about this is it could be the next Deus Ex.

Hopefully it's decent, I await the reviews with cautious optimism.

Sounds interesting , sounds like a sort of spiritual successor to thief. I hope the PC version is not just a shitty port.

This will likely be the next Dead Island "trailer raises expectations too high for game to match" case, but I'm still looking forward to see how it turns out.

Andy of Comix Inc:
This will likely be the next Dead Island "trailer raises expectations too high for game to match" case, but I'm still looking forward to see how it turns out.

As opposed to Dead Island, they raised expectations during numerous interviews and the announcement of the talent behind it.

Matthew94:
next Deus Ex.

Zipa:
spiritual successor to thief.

Did you even watch the videos?

The guy runs into a room, throws magic around, and just kills everyone and the main baddie.
No sneaking, no stealth, no dialogue.

It wants to be more Assassin's Creed with magic in Half Life 2's world than anything else.

It's insulting that you think so lowly of the Deus Ex and Thief franchises.

Absolutionis:

Matthew94:
next Deus Ex.

Zipa:

The guy runs into a room, throws magic around, and just kills everyone and the main baddie.

It wants to be more Assassin's Creed with magic in Half Life 2's world than anything else.

All I have seen is the preview from PC gamer a few months back and it sounded quite Deus Ex'y to me.

Even though the promo trailer set-up the ruling class as almost stupidly evil, I'm otherwise En-Raptured by the whole steampunk set-up

Absolutionis:

Matthew94:
next Deus Ex.

Zipa:

Honestly, it's more like Hitman with magic rather than Deus Ex/Thief with magic since you can make your victim's deaths look like accidents. The developers promised the the player will not forced to kill anyone except the targets. Also, chill dude it was just a CG trailer, not actual gameplay.

It was already almost uninteresting from what I've read, though I was remaining cautiously optimistic that I would start to see something that would bring me to the game and make me want to play it. But an October release date eliminates that completely. Holiday season releases are so obnoxious. Gamers want something for the summer months where there is very little competition. Low and behold, it's still available for the holiday season. Stupid.

Sounds great, I was looking for something else to buy since Bioshock decided not to show up this year. :)

Aww I was hoping for a summer release.

I'm getting my hopes up for this, all the previews are making comparisons with Thief, Hitman and Deus ex so I'm hoping that it does live up to what we've seen so far.

Oh well, toss it into the "great games coming out in Fall or Winter" Catagory, what the hell is wrong with summer?

Anyway hope it turns out well.

Calling it now, we won't see it till MAYBE March of 2013

Absolutionis:

Matthew94:
next Deus Ex.

Zipa:

Inorite? So stealthy.

If I'm not summoning a heroic spirit in this I'm going to be very disappointed.

Good thing it's in October, after the delay of BioShock I was upset about the fall.

Absolutionis:

Matthew94:
next Deus Ex.

Zipa:

In the gameplay commentary video the developers were quite clear about the player being able to play very stealthily.

I expect this to be late, but I will hold off on purchase until I see some reviews and gameplay. God I want it to be good.

Matthew94:

You get Deus Ex is praised because it was innovative and unique, right? While I've got really high hopes for this - it seems to be taking all it's design from pieces of other games. So therefore it wont be the next Deus Ex.

Absolutionis:

Matthew94:
next Deus Ex.

Zipa:

That's a 5 minute CG trailer to show off the powers. DX and Thief are Immersive Sims, Dishonored is too.

And continuing in the vein of a DX-style Immersive Sim (as it's being made by Harvey Smith), that means you get to play how you want. Like Deus Ex.

Cry Wolf:

Matthew94:

You get Deus Ex is praised because it was innovative and unique, right? While I've got really high hopes for this - it seems to be taking all it's design from pieces of other games. So therefore it wont be the next Deus Ex.

You could argue that DE took a lot from System Shock especially as they shared a lot of the same staff.

October ninth? It is coming out earlier than I expected. I was expecting a late December or early January release.

I will definitively wait to read some reviews first. Yes, the trailer looked nice, but as we've seen before, that does NOT mean the game will be good. And the box art is pretty crap, which does not bode well...

So Bioshock Infinite gets a major delay, then suddenly we get a release date for Dishonored the next day... And it just so happens to fall around the same time that Infinite's was... Coincidence?

Such things aside, I'm very excited for Dishonored, and it definitely got bumped up from a "very interested" to a "must-buy" when Infinite got delayed. Well played, sir Dishonored.

Oh. Look the guys in Europe get screwed over for no reason again XP

What is it with the three day gap in every game release ever? It better be for fixing the fucking spelling of "Dishonoured

/irrational rage

Yep, it's a must buy for me. As long as I can run around rooftops making about 50 oneliners per minute i'll be ok.

And i'll have to think up an anime-esque attack name for the magic steampunky awesomeness...

Richardplex:

The "Funky clock tower" in the background must be the Great Holy Grail. There is no other explanation.

OT: I'm pretty excited for this game, sound really cool to me. Hope it can fill the void that BioShock left behind :'(

ZehMadScientist:

Richardplex:

The "Funky clock tower" in the background must be the Great Holy Grail. There is no other explanation.

OT: I'm pretty excited for this game, sound really cool to me. Hope it can fill the void that BioShock left behind :'(

The mask even looks likes Hassan Sabbah's, blatantly a similar case to what Caster did.
can't believe someone actually got that reference...

stay classy guys.
-----------------
Tell me more, tell me more. Like does it have a car?

i bet it will feel a lot like bioshock and it will contain one 'pick up that can' scenario.
also it borrows some elements from cancelled games like reich (the time stop ability)

Oh wow, that's sooner than I thought. I'm pretty excited to see how this plays out.

Also:

rhizhim:

Holy catchphrase, Batman, that game looks really cool. I'm crying right now, seeing that it's cancelled.

Too bad the PC version will make use of 'Games for Windows Live platform." I was going to get it on PC, but now it looks as if I'll be getting the Xbox version. GG. People who buy it on PC; enjoy losing your save-files etc..

Richardplex:

Archer would be my pick...Everybody is gar for archer.

OT: It got a release date. Awesome. Didn't think it would be released so fast.

Evilsanta:

Richardplex:

Archer would be my pick...Everybody is gar for archer.

OT: It got a release date. Awesome. Didn't think it would be released so fast.

Of course. Everyone comes out of Fate/Stay Night with a crush on Saber and totally gar for Archer. And they'd fit the theme.

Also, actually had a look at the trailer. I am now interested.

oh made by the guys who made dark messiah. awesome i might get it.. ah bethesda game so a crappy xbox port i thik ill skip it at least until i read some reviews

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here