New Maya Discovery Casts Doubt on World's Imminent Demise

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

New Maya Discovery Casts Doubt on World's Imminent Demise

A scribe's notations predict planetary movements beyond 2012 - way beyond.

Though anyone who believes that the Maya have accurately foretold the end of the world are unlikely to be swayed, new evidence has been uncovered that suggests we have another 7,000 years ahead of us.

Working at Xultun, a site just 5 miles south of San Bartolo, Guatemala, archeologists have uncovered the unspoiled workroom of Maya scribes, National Geographic News' Erik Vance reports. The discovery of anything unspoiled at Xultun is miraculous in itself considering heavy looting decimated the site in the 1970s, but even more stunning is what archeologist Franco Rossi found under a 1,200-year-old layer of mud.

Despite nature's efforts to hide it, the Ph.D. student noticed traces of paint against the building's wall. When the mud was removed, Rossi and the team under excavation leader William Saturno found an extremely well-kept mural depicting several images. One image is of a scribe adorned with white disks who can be seen holding a brush in his hand. Another shows a king in an elaborate blue headdress.

The art is very interesting, but archeologists are more excited by calculation tables that the scribes working in the room scribbled onto the walls. One is a lunar table, charting the phases of the moon. The next is a "ring number," which were used by the Maya to "establish a base date for planetary cycles," according to the National Geographic article. Using these, the scribes wrote dates on the wall that coincide with these lunar and planetary schedules, calculating some 7,000 years into the future.

While it doesn't definitively prove when the Maya thought the world might end, the discovery casts further doubt on the already doubtful theory that the Maya accurately predicted the world would end this year. Let's just hope that 7,000 years from now there aren't people around thinking the world's going to end because this particular scribe didn't go any farther. Whether the world ends or not, there's one thing that we can take away from this for certain: Rossi's eagle eyes have given him an amazing dissertation.

Source: National Geographic

Image: National Nuclear Security Administration / Nevada Site Office

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I knew it, I knew this was all a big crap storm. I knew a dude that stopped working and is living on his savings now because he thinks the world will end, I told him he is nuts, but no one ever listens to me about this stuff anyway, In your face Steve, Ya paranoid silly man you.

You mean the world really isn't going to end?

When did we start trusting the predictions of ancient civilisations anyway?

Yeah but what idiot would even believe the Mayan prediction in the first place? Did we really need a scientist to find proof that it was all bullshit? Really?

SonOfVoorhees:
Yeah but what idiot would even believe the Mayan prediction in the first place? Did we really need a scientist to find proof that it was all bullshit? Really?

You're talking about a race that honestly believed the rapture was nigh and sold all of their belongings because a mad man told them to.

*Maya 2000 years ago*

Mayan: Hey uh...can we talk?

Calendar maker: Yeah, what up?

Mayan: It's about your calendar. It's great, and you do a great job, but you're 2000 years ahead. Think you can just, you know....stop for now?

Calendar maker: But if I do, people may misinterpret it and get hysterical about the end of the world! We can't have that!

Mayan: We'll deal with that when the time comes...

*Present day*
Hysterical moron: OH MY GAWD! END OF THE WORLD BECAUSE THE MAYAN CALENDAR ENDS!!

Me: *Facepalm*

The fact that some people need evidence to put the end of the 2012 world into doubt is, in itself, horrifying.

Waaghpowa:
*Maya 2000 years ago*

Mayan: It's about your calendar. It's great, and you do a great job, but you're 2000 years ahead. Think you can just, you know....stop for now?

Calendar maker: But if I do, people may misinterpret it and get hysterical about the end of the world! We can't have that!

*Present day*
Hysterical moron: OH MY GAWD! END OF THE WORLD BECAUSE THE MAYAN CALENDAR ENDS!!

The fact that some people need evidence to put the end of the 2012 world into doubt is, in itself, horrifying.

Kind of makes you wish that you guys hadn't stopped my evil plans of deploying a huge moon laser, huh.

The end of a calendar doesn't predict the end of the world? Color me shocked, my word a day calendar ends early in the year 2013, I was getting all set to be ready for the end by then...

Daystar Clarion:

Waaghpowa:
*Maya 2000 years ago*

*Present day*

Kind of makes you wish that you guys hadn't stopped my evil plans of deploying a huge moon laser, huh.

Just because you were stopped, doesn't mean I was as well.

Aww well no shit.

Wasn't the world supposed to end a few months ago or something since the Mayans never accounted for leap year? Or the Gregorian calendar in general?

EDIT: WAIT! You guys, I totally get it now. Look at your calenders, they all go up to December 2012... BUT NOT TO 2013!

That means the world will end when December ends! Since there's nothing after December 2012! I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!

Daystar Clarion:

When did we start trusting the predictions of ancient civilizations anyway?

this, only in a far more dickish tone then implied here, perhaps with a bit of contempt and loathing for being so stupid as to believe that non-sense sprinkled loving on top as well

:3

cause I'm that kind of asshole

Irridium:
Wasn't the world supposed to end a few months ago or something since the Mayans never accounted for leap year? Or the Gregorian calendar in general?

You ninja'd me :(

Yeah, the Mayans didn't anticipate the creation of the "leap year". If you calculate that in the world should have ended quite awhile ago.

Irridium:

EDIT: WAIT! You guys, I totally get it now. Look at your calenders, they all go up to December 2012... BUT NOT TO 2013!

That means the world will end when December ends! Since there's nothing after December 2012! I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!

Best bury the calender, so that future generations are warned...

Irridium:

But... my academic year calender goes on till next year! Which one is lying?!

rosac:

Irridium:

They're both lying. Mine goes all the way to 2014.

Well, just because the Earth will continue orbiting the Sun doesn't mean the world won't end, does it? :)

Daystar Clarion:

The same day we started trusting idiots using some random numbers out of a 1500 year old book who took those numbers and warped them with arbitary math until they got a number that could fit into a date thats less than a decade from now.

Not about to stop them from trying though. Which is a shame.

gigastar:

Daystar Clarion:

The same day we started trusting idiots using some random numbers out of a 1500 year old book who took those numbers and warped them with arbitary math until they got a number that could fit into a date thats less than a decade from now.

Not about to stop them from trying though. Which is a shame.

We live in a time where I can communicate instantly with people on the opposite side of the planet, where I can store hundreds of hours of music and video on a device no larger than my hand, and where we can physically leave our planet.

And people still believe this stuff over actual science.

Irridium:

The Mayan calander was based off of astrological tracking thus it didn't follow any of our standards of record keeping and things like the "leap year" from miscalculations weren't an issue. The date of the world ending is based on their tracking and the position of celestrial bodies apparently. Or so I have read.

That said (on the subject in general), all conjecture aside the proedictions and mayan beliefs still hold weight. This doesn't mean what they said is going to happen, just that what they thought was going to happen is as per the popular version. Given that the odds of it happening are minimal and the date is approaching there is plenty of effort being made to debunk this so people can say "I told you so".

All this painting really proves is that either the Mayans felt "the world" was simply our world and the solar system would continue, or that there was dissent on the subject, which is not suprising because being humans there was doubtlessly some people saying something differant from the societal consensus and recording their thoughts.

Incidently some interpetations of what the Mayans said are that our "cycle" ends, the world as we know it, not the world as a whole. This interpetation lead to a number of fantasy stories where magic returns to the world or whatever.

It should also be noted that the predictions coincide with some other prophecies which is part of why they are so infamous. Part of the mystique of the Mayan/Aztec ruins is the occurance of similar ruins throughout the world, along with the discovery that the indiginous people associated with them did not build these ruins, but found them... which is an entirely differant discussion, but somewhat relevent to understanding the "weight" thrown behind this paticular prophecy compared to someone on the Psychic Hotline saying the same thing. Such ruins being pointed to as signs of an ancient pre-culture (such as Atlantis) or alien vistitation or whatever else. It ties into the Crystal Skulls (the real ones) and similar things. Apparently some people have done things like tracked things like those Quartz discs in South American deposits from the other side of the planet, and so on. Tons of TV shows on ancient mysteries and prophecies have covered this in detail.

If some of the prophecies are correct and the "visions" of the end of the world involve warfare, plagues, or similar things, that would just kill humanity or the planet, not the solar system or all of reality.

Personally I think it will be just another day, but if I had to pick a crackpot theory to embrace I'd go for "return of the ancient aliens" because there is at least some circulstantial evidence, if weak circumstantial evidence. 12/21/12 being the day the aliens that seeded humanity or whatever, check back. Though knowing our luck it won't be to uplift us once we reached the current level of progress, but them going "Crap, it's been several thousand years and these monkeys we put here to dig gold for us, didn't do it right and built this crappy eyesore of "civlization" scortch the place and re-seed, leave better directions and a more durable strain of overseer". :)

Why would Mayans be able to predict the end f the world in the first place?
Because they could calculate the movement of the planets?
Well, so can we. Much better, at that.
So the world ends when our calendar ends?
Which is pretty much never.

Yeah well, Aliens from the planet Vegeta told me that the sun emits over brute waves at over 2,000,000 xeno and when reflected off the moon it causes a transformation in their tail making them into giant monkeys. And when the Sayijins reach earth in 2012 it'll have a full moon and the earth will be destroyed.

By giant apes. >:L

But, But...But what was on the Disks?

Daystar Clarion:

Since they started writing them down.

theheroofaction:

rosac:

Irridium:

My cellphone goes to 2030!

OT: Not to say I told you so....but I told you so...and so did most of the world.

(I actually know some people who believes the world will stop at the end of 2012.) =/

DVS BSTrD:
But, But...But what was on the Disks?

Daystar Clarion:

Since they started writing them down.

Yeah man!

Fuck science!

What did facts and evidence ever prove?

therandombear:

theheroofaction:

rosac:

Your calenders are all wrong, ya bunch a heathens!

Denamic:
Why would Mayans be able to predict the end f the world in the first place?
Because they could calculate the movement of the planets?
Well, so can we. Much better, at that.
So the world ends when our calendar ends?
Which is pretty much never.

well the mayans are like tony stark.

sure someone else in the future could have build a better suit.

but he did it almost by himself, captive in a cave with materials like paper clips and empty soda cans.

But there was no evidence in the first place. The Mayans where unreliable, not being able to make glass and all, but also due to the fact they don't have leap years. This causes the calendar to be roughly 12 years too late. Also because they never predicted the end of the world, but simply the world renewing. Apocalypse is a derivative from the Greek word Apokolipse, meaning 'Revelation' (Show me a Mayan that knew Greek)which in it's self did not mean the end of the world, but the book of Revelations gave us that due to a Latin/Greek translation error. So...
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2j4au14gq1qdbju2.jpg

Waaghpowa:

Technically, the Mayan calendar didn't actually end.

From what I understand, the Maya believed time was cyclical, and marked by a "galactic cycle", which starts and ends when the progression of the equinoxes makes a complete revolution. In other words, when the Earth, Sun and galactic core are all in perfect alignment, which happens approximately once every 26,000 years.

The Mayan calendar for this cycle ends 12/21/2012, but then it starts right back up again in the new cycle. Basically, the Mayan used the progression of the equinoxes as a (significantly) larger version of a year. All this hysteria about it is functionally equivalent to our descendants finding the gregorian calendar and being convinced Dec 31 of any given year is the last day of all time.

asherdeus:
Let's just hope that 7,000 years from now there aren't people around thinking the world's going to end because this particular scribe didn't go any farther.

:P This has actually been my theory on the matter all along: the poor sucker chiseling out the Mayan calender out of stone got up to the year 2012 and said "FUCK IT! I'm done!"

So, hang on.

Ancient civilisation apparently predicts our imminent demise.
Shortly before we reach this doom-date then an archeology dig that we've had for a while uncovers new evidence that suggests that we might not have to die after all...

I suppose we should be glad that the dig isn't called the Crucible project...

I find it interesting that closing in on this "dooms day" that such a archaeological finding happened. People have been shitting themselves over this for how long and suddenly at the peak of death we get a "Oh we found new rules to go by so don't worry!"

I don't believe we are going to suddenly no longer exist at the end of 2012, but I can easily see where some of the end of days supporters will say this "message" was fabricated to calm the masses before our imminent deaths.

Fun stuff either way.

Still, better safe than sorry, right doomsdayers? Be sure to build those bunkers extra deep and with plenty of locks to keep the inevitable C.H.U.D.s at bay. Lock yourself in tight, and stay extra quiet. We'll let you know when it's safe to come out. But you can't trust us, we might be C.H.U.D.s! So, just keep yourselves underground indefinitely. Preach your fearful ways to your increasingly inbred children! Experiment with eating things you never considered eating when your food runs out!

...Are they gone?

Good. As for the rest of us staying up above, keep those flamethrowers handy. After 2012, I expect every decade or so, a few inbred, doomsday-religious C.H.U.D.s might poke their head out of their bunkers, looking for fresh breeding stock and urine to fertilize their mushroom farms. Burn them once to kill, twice for the remainder. It's the only way to be sure.

Waaghpowa:
*Maya 2000 years ago*

*Present day*

You know, I don't approve of your sarcasm and your idea that the world isn't going to end when the Maya calendar ends. In my lifetime we have thrown out 22 calendars and the world ended each and every time.

Irridium:

therandombear:

theheroofaction:

Your calenders are all wrong, ya bunch a heathens!

My in game calendar for YuGiOh: The Eternal Duelist Soul goes to 2030. I always wondered what would happen if I made it that far.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here