Ubisoft's "Team Ghost" Gets Some Guns

Pages PREV 1 2

Was... was she a man at some time? Not joking, she has a more masculine jaw than I do.

Susan Arendt:
You know, if they wanted to go this route, they should've picked Michelle Viscusi: http://www.maxim.com/maximtv/top-shots-michelle-viscusi. Not only was she in the National Guard and a Border Patrol officer, she can actually shoot. Oh, and yeah, she's gorgeous.

While I may be giving Ubisoft too much credit and everyone else is most likely right in their assumptions, who's to say that they didn't ask her first and she declined? I mean, it's possible. Yahtzee's the best choice for me to get actual reviewing advice (in my opinion; whoever rocks your boat rocks your boat) but I very much doubt he cares. Of course, I very much doubt anyone cares but let's not get pedantic.

Furthermore, what makes everyone think Ubisoft approached Coco? Jack Black went to Double Fine to get into Brutal Legend because he liked Psychonauts; who's to say this case isn't similar? It's a long shot of an assumption but it's still potentially true. Maybe Coco indeed does like guns and we just call bull just because she's blonde and well-proportioned and we're biased (by the way, I'm taking a Critical Thinking course at University).

The **** did I just watch? My interest and faith that this will be a good game just went down the crapper.

Is silicone in the shape of a woman supposed to make me want to buy the game more?

Slycne:
Why did anyone think this was a good idea? I'm actually less interested in Future Soldier after this, which is the exact opposite of what you want a marketing campaign to do.

Yup, same here. I was tempted to get it at release, but as per usual I've lost all interest. Oh, and one quick question for y'all: what the fuck *was* that... thing?

valkeminator:
My reaction when watching this:

Is it something fundamentally wrong with me for finding the second girl more attractive? :D

Porecomesis:

Susan Arendt:
You know, if they wanted to go this route, they should've picked Michelle Viscusi: http://www.maxim.com/maximtv/top-shots-michelle-viscusi. Not only was she in the National Guard and a Border Patrol officer, she can actually shoot. Oh, and yeah, she's gorgeous.

While I may be giving Ubisoft too much credit and everyone else is most likely right in their assumptions, who's to say that they didn't ask her first and she declined? I mean, it's possible. Yahtzee's the best choice for me to get actual reviewing advice (in my opinion; whoever rocks your boat rocks your boat) but I very much doubt he cares. Of course, I very much doubt anyone cares but let's not get pedantic.

Furthermore, what makes everyone think Ubisoft approached Coco? Jack Black went to Double Fine to get into Brutal Legend because he liked Psychonauts; who's to say this case isn't similar? It's a long shot of an assumption but it's still potentially true. Maybe Coco indeed does like guns and we just call bull just because she's blonde and well-proportioned and we're biased (by the way, I'm taking a Critical Thinking course at University).

To your first point, I very much doubt that happened. To your second point, I'm not sure why that's relevant? Maybe she did approach them, sure, and maybe she genuinely does like guns (actually, I think she likely does). Just because she offered, they didn't have to accept. I still think Michelle would be a better choice, though I will also say that Coco is fantastic in front of the camera, which is a big selling point in her favor.

I'm going to be honest: I was more aroused by the guns in the video than whoever that was.

Sure didn't make me wanna play the game anymore though, which I think isn't good considering this is advertisement

Christ, Ubisoft. You're trying to sell the next GR, not another CoD.

Also: idk where everyone's getting this "d00d she's hawt" from. If I got a boner from plastic women I'd just buy a blow-up doll.

Whelp, methinks it is time to cancel my preorder. If they have so little confidence in the game itself that they have to resort to such blatantly exploitative advertising, then I'm out.

blackdwarf:
what is it with the name "Coco" lately? couples of days ago i never heard of it.

The (nick)name is used every now and then. Never heard of Coco Chanel?

Or the TRS-80? Called CoCo by its fans, the Trash-80 by its detractors.

Chaos Marine:
Was... was she a man at some time? Not joking, she has a more masculine jaw than I do.

How YOU doin'?

Just kidding. But yeah, she's got that look that on some forums would inspire a dozen "That's a man, baby!" image macro posts.

flaviok79:
Yeah. There will be a lot of gun customization going on. And lubricating.

but absolutely no gun calibrations.

OT: yea, kind of dont want to play the game anymore.

sure, Ill still play it, but this isn't the kind of publicity that would make me want to play it.

I miss the Tom Clancy games that were made by Red Storm.....

also

captcha: HOBBY HORSE.

DAMN YOU HOBBY HORSE, WHY WONT YOU LET ME BE!

seriously, this is getting stupid now.

Jesus christ is that woman ugly. She looks like a mutated barbie doll. She's also really stupid, and this video alone killed any chance of me picking up this game. I'm not sure this video could have been worse.

Lumber Barber:
Is silicone in the shape of a woman supposed to make me want to buy the game more?

shes a vital part of the hacking portion of ghost recon with CSI quality technical accuracy.
trying to hack their network but it isnt working
here, ill use my silicon to boost your wifi and find the firewall admin password!!

I wish I could experience the contempt everyone is having towards this but all I feel is apathy. I watched the other two videos and while they're all bad, I can appreciate, Only slightly, the way they chose to handle her video.

Susan Arendt:

Porecomesis:

To your first point, I very much doubt that happened. To your second point, I'm not sure why that's relevant? Maybe she did approach them, sure, and maybe she genuinely does like guns (actually, I think she likely does). Just because she offered, they didn't have to accept. I still think Michelle would be a better choice, though I will also say that Coco is fantastic in front of the camera, which is a big selling point in her favor.

Probably right about the first point.

As for the second, you were implying that THEY went to HER in an effort to drag in sex appeal. I'm saying that that may not be the case; sex appeal may have just simply shown up at their door asking if she could come in and they just said yes as accepting an opportunity that just presents itself like that is just common sense (also very polite). No, they didn't have to accept but they don't have to decline, either.

You're probably right that Michelle would be a better choice. Of course, whether she'd actually accept or not is another story.

She does seem really into it, doesn't she? Her voice is annoying but she at least seems happy to be there. She seems like a kid going into an arcade for the first time.

Urgh.

Meh, the gun customization looks interesting. Not played a Ghost Recon for years.

As for the actual, you know, context which has driven this thread? Meh. I do not think much of this promotional material. It was just a woman who I do not find particularly attractive firing weapons. I found it rather vulgar.

Overall?

Meh.

Buretsu:
Ubisoft?

IBIHARD.

I nearly pissed myself laughing at that statement. I see what you did there... But back onto the original topic. Please Ubisoft, have more focus on the actual weapons then the BUTTstock (see what I did there?)

Looking at all the other advertisements for Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (interviews with Special Forces soldiers talking about future military technology), I must say that this latest one is in extremely poor taste and that someone on the development team needs to tell the marketing department to pull their head out of their ass.

I would expect this kind of thing from Call of Duty, not Ghost Recon, and it has hurt my attitude toward the game which has so far been somewhat positive.

Porecomesis:
snip

It's possible that she went to them, especially if the next member is Ice-T. He got the offer, she wanted in to, they gave her a part so they could get Ice-T. That doesn't mean they had to shoot this ad in this way. They could have put her in an actual uniform, had her do her little vapid spiel (seriously, what the hell was she talking about half the time?) and done, an ad campaign that won't alienate half the people who view it. Even the Youtube community doesn't like it.

Me, I don't dislike the ad itself, I have no problem with half naked women in my advertisements, but it does smack of desperation. The conclusion I draw from this video isn't "that mechanic looks good" or "this game sounds great" but rather "is she there because they don't have anything to do with the game to show, so they're showing her ass instead?" Which is not a good result for an ad campaign, but I'm honestly unsure what else they expected people to think when they saw this.

Plus, like I said above, she really seems a little clueless. The whole "I bring beauty and brains... In all gaming that is key, because women they focus on what they need to do." Good god, what happened to that sentence? "I play with the Kinect, and you've gotta be in shape" as she slowly raises and lowers her arms, looking bored as all hell. So, while I don't get offended or disgusted by the ad, it sure as hell didn't excite me.

brunothepig:
callously snipped. HA!

As far as I know, attra- okay, I know that if I actually use the word 'attractive', I'm going to get pelted by tomatoes. Okay, here we go:

As far as I know, blonde women who... let's say are easy on the eyes (*puts up umbrella*) will almost be universally hated when put in an action role. I remember the Blonde Femshep debacle and I doubt that those memories have gone anywhere. I shall blame this on the dumb blonde stereotype (for the record, if you do not believe in that stereotype, good for you; I'm talking about the norm rather than the exception).

Sex sells, my friend. It's been proven. As Ubisoft is a game publisher, they know this. It's annoying but it's a fact of life. They didn't HAVE to do the ad that way but why not try to get as much money as possible?

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here