Modern Warfare 3's "Face Off" Mode Makes War Personal

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Modern Warfare 3's "Face Off" Mode Makes War Personal

Just you, your enemy, and your gun.

You know those matches of Call of Duty - or any multiplayer game ever, really - where you just get saddled with a terrible team? You could have nine kills for every one death and have captured the flag personally two times, but your numbskull teammates keep throwing grenades at their own feet and trying to everything but claim the objectives. You think one of them might have somehow captured the flag for the enemy team, even.

Well, maybe your team really does suck, but maybe you're just making excuses. If you'd like to put your proverbial money where your proverbial mouth is when it comes to your Modern Warfare 3 skillz, then perhaps the game's new "Face Off" mode will be right up your alley.

Face Off will set players in smaller, close-quarters maps to, uh, face off in intimate 1v1 or 2v2 matchups. You won't have a team to fall back on (other than your partner), but you won't have a team to blame if you're losing, either. It'll all be on you.

Interestingly enough, in this video featuring various folks from Raven, Sledgehammer and Infinity Ward discussing the new gameplay type, they mention that Face Off could potentially work exceptionally well as a split-screen mode, to play against a buddy sitting right next to you on the couch. I'm always a proponent of more real-life split-screen competitive gameplay, so that's pretty cool to hear, but it's a bit surprising given that gaming has steadily been moving away from that sort of thing for the past decade. Also, your friend could totally just look at your half of the screen and cheat.

Face Off will launch as a free update this coming Wednesday, May 16th, with two playable maps. Two more maps will be included in the Collection 2 DLC pack hitting on the 22nd.

This sounds like an interesting idea. It gets infinitely more entertaining if you imagine that the characters you're playing in the 1v1 are John Travolta and Nic Cage.

Did you just say that Activison is giving something for free?

It's just standard Spilt-Screen...
Am I the only one seeing this?...

But it's just 1v1...it was already playable in private matches.

Why are they just now making it a playlist?

Mydogisblue:
But it's just 1v1...it was already playable in private matches.

Why are they just now making it a playlist?

The difference is the maps, I'm guessing. Just think about this for a minute. Maps. For a Call of Duty game. For FREE. I think hell might just have frozen over.

Diablo1099:

I think your a tad confused.
1. It's a new game mode that you can play on Xbox live OR in splitscreen
2. As someone who plays MW3 in splitscreen alot, the smaller maps will be good, because in the current maps, alot of the game is running around trying to find the other player.

And here I was hopping it would be something cool like a knife only map and instead of dog tags it you'd collect scalps or noses or something.

This concept would have been better if you and your partner were set up against multiple co-op teams with random drops based the overall score of the players involved.TM Imagine the desperate fire-fights to acquire a team neutral air-strike.

Call it...

Knife-28:

Diablo1099:

2. As someone who plays MW3 in splitscreen alot, the smaller maps will be good, because in the current maps, alot of the game is running around trying to find the other player.

That part I get but Making a Private Sever gives you basically the same effect, so why all the hype over a mode that already kinda exists?

Sort of ironic, granted their not giving away a whole map pack, but Dice said there would never be paid DLC for Battlefield... But now they say there is only Paid DLC...

1) Basically, these guys looked at "Close Quarters" for Battlefield 3 and said "Not a bad idea."
2) We finally have a first. Call of Duty released a new product that isn't a $60.00 add on. Miracles.
3) Interesting concept for "No excuses, no whining," but when you view the player base (see also: 8 year olds, douche bags, bitchy complainers) there will still be excuses and claims of being a "noob." They seem to have forgotten the main rule of shooters:

If the weapon kills you, it makes it nooby, stupid, and the other player a no-lifing loser.

The people who lose will just blame lag. That's the go-to excuse right after your teammates.

Diablo1099:

Knife-28:

Diablo1099:

That part I get but Making a Private Sever gives you basically the same effect, so why all the hype over a mode that already kinda exists?

The free maps I guess, which is pretty impressive in and of it's self.

cod has a amazing community? ok, i never been on the Cod forums, but i find that statement hard to believe.

and whoa, a mode were you can play one-on-one. such a innovation. don't get me wrong, the mode will probably be good, but i hate it when developers act like that have just thought of the most amazing thing ever, when it is in fact a really common concept.

Knife-28:
The free maps I guess, which is pretty impressive in and of it's self.

Still, can't wrap my head around how much the OP goes on about 1v1 Multi-player, Gaming has that from the start, COD had that from the start, so why the big deal?

Also, It says that Raven, Sledgehammer and Infinity Ward think that this Gameplay type would work as Spilt-screen....
Despite the fact it petty much what Spilt-Screen is...

I guess this whole Topic Confuses me, but then again, I don't play COD.

ArcossG:
Did you just say that Activison is giving something for free?

I checked it out, it doesnt seem to be fake either. Activision really is giving away content for free. Given that they charge for less, this is my reaction...

I guess its only a matter of time until Kotick comes out of his dragon palace and starts wrecking careers for not charging for new content. Might be interesting to watch for once.

After looking at EA's catastrophic PR ever since becoming mildly relevant in the modern-shooter genre, Activision-Blizzard seems to be caring about PR.

Good job EA, I knew there was a reason we still kept you around.

DVS BSTrD:

This concept would have been better if you and your partner were set up against multiple co-op teams with random drops based the overall score of the players involved.TM Imagine the desperate fire-fights to acquire a team neutral air-strike.

Call it...

Aw man, I really love this idea, I think it be really awesome if it was worked into regular matches: Have 3 or more teams of around 8 people fighting each other. Imagine it in Battlefields capture the flag multiplayer. You could probably completely eliminate that annoying situation where one team has all the flags and spawncamps the roads the other team comes out of, locking them down, because there would be more entrances than one team alone could block!

The Sledgehammer guy said that the Modern Warfare community is the best online community...

Okay Guys, its over. call off the internet, We have a winner.

Their making it smaller?? Fuck sake, the reason I stopped playing regularly was because the maps were already too small.

Bring out some good maps like Broadcast from MW1's DLC pack.

Oh and who actually gets an urge to play Spec Ops, really.

CardinalPiggles:
Their making it smaller?? Fuck sake, the reason I stopped playing regularly was because the maps were already too small.

I do, Spec Ops is really fun. :/

John Funk:
Also, your friend could totally just look at your half of the screen and cheat.

There's no if there, unless you're somehow completely missing peripheral vision, it's hard not to notice something that's half a length of the screen away from where you're looking at.

Did he just say the Call of Duty community is the best in the industry? I mean, free crap big news for CoD yadda yadda, but really? CoD's community is the best?

the cod community is alright it's just the ones who aren't 8 usually don't play with mics because when u mute everyone in the game there is no one to talk to

It had better be a free update considering it came with CoD 4 five years ago, it's not a new idea.

Korten12:

CardinalPiggles:

Is it?? Why not just play the campaign, it's just snippets of level from that.

Triforceformer:
I mean, free crap big news for CoD yadda yadda

If you felt that way, why even bother reading the article or watching the video?

CoD's community is the best?

Probably just saying that for good PR.

CardinalPiggles:

Korten12:

CardinalPiggles:

Because Spec Ops provides different challenges in thos levels and plus it's always fun to play with a friend.

Korten12:

CardinalPiggles:

Korten12:

Because Spec Ops provides different challenges in thos levels and plus it's always fun to play with a friend.

Ah right, co op. I never liked it myself because I'd rather play multi player, plus there is no checkpoints, I really hate getting to the end and getting killed.

Could be a pretty fun game mode but we all know damn well it'll just end up being used for boosting.

Was I the only one who immediately thought you would get to cut your enemy's face and keep it as a trophy or something? Or maybe you'd swap lives? You know, like in the movie...?

No? Just me?

Okay, maybe I do need help...

It's just Halo 2's duel list.

Except it suffers the same flaws:

1. The atrocious lag, americans always get host so that kid 20m down the block from the server with 512kb/s gets priority over those of us on 8Mb/s (australian average).

2. People love to cheat 1v1.

3. People rush all the 'good weapons' then camp, what's the point? No TDM 'skill' proven, and besides, I prefer the unsung heroes on low points and KDR who perform the vital work on the capture, distracting the enemy, covering the flag bearer when it's tied score on the last 30 seconds from the guy on 1-10 KDR, or the man who steals the good weapons from the opponent's field and/or gives it to their teammates who are better at them, or the one who passes up the good weapons on your own side so their betters can use them effectively.

Not like all you guys who think KILLS AND POINTS ARE EVERYFING!@

A free DLC?
For CoD?

I'm very confused and... Interested.

''Call of Duty has the best community in the industry...''
I just lost all hope after that comment.

jizzytissue:
when u mute everyone in the game there is no one to talk to

The redundancy of your statement here is so baffling I think you gave me cancer.

Andy of Comix Inc:

jizzytissue:
when u mute everyone in the game there is no one to talk to

The redundancy of your statement here is so baffling I think you gave me cancer.

cool ....

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or