GameStop Joins With Valve For Retail Digital

Pages 1 2 NEXT

GameStop Joins With Valve For Retail Digital

GameStop will soon be offering Steam Wallet codes for sale in its U.S. stores.

"East is East and West is West, and never the twain shall meet," except perhaps at GameStop, which has entered into a deal with Valve, parent company of digital distribution behemoth Steam, to offer Steam Wallet codes at all its U.S. locatdions.

"We are thrilled to be partnering with Valve on this new initiative," said Steve "Don't Call Me Stevie" Nix, GameStop's GM of Digital Distribution. "This gives even more options to customers now that they can put money in their Steam Wallet using cash, gift cards or trade credits through our convenient neighborhood locations."

What makes the deal notable is the fact that Steam is the tip of the "kill retail" spear, offering more than 1800 PC games and ridiculously good sales, all accessible from the comfort of your chair. Even retail releases of a lot of PC games these days make use of Steam DRM, which for some people makes a trip to the local store seem like a complete waste of time. So why did GameStop do this deal with the devil?

Necessity, primarily. Steam isn't going anywhere, so instead of trying to beat it, GameStop is joining up, making itself an integral part of the process. True, you don't have to go to the mall to score a Steam Wallet voucher, but for gamers without a credit card [or who don't want to use it online] or people buying gifts without any clue as to what their giftee actually wants, it's a very practical option. It's also another option for trade-ins and GameStop gift cards, both of which can be put toward Steam Wallet purchases.

Steam Wallet codes will be available from GameStop in $20 and $50 denominations. To find out more about how it works, head down to your local store or check out gamestop.com/steamwallet.

And no-one has done this before, why? Seems to me like everyone wins.

Surprising no one has done this before...doesn't make sense to me...

Funny thing is it is so incredibly easy to add funds to your Steam wallet when you are logged into steam as it is. The only reasons I can see this being a benefit is if someone doesnt have a bank account, cc and/or paypal to add from. Or they want to buy this as a gift. That is pretty much it.

It is a smart move on GameStop's part to link up with Steam since gaming is quickly moving to an all digital format.

I see your cunning plan, Gamestop. Offer customers $20 & $50 tokens for games that cost $60, necessitating two token purchases for a new release. It makes one twirl ones mustache just thinking about it.

Cousin_IT:
I see your cunning plan, Gamestop. Offer customers $20 & $50 tokens for games that cost $60, necessitating two token purchases for a new release. It makes one twirl ones mustache just thinking about it.

Almost all pc games on steam cost $50

rolfwesselius:

Cousin_IT:

Agreed, with the exception of CoD and a few other titles that want to rip us for 60 bucks the rest are only $50 or less. Then there are the Steam sales that put the $60 games on sale for 25-33% off bringing the price down to $45-$50.

rolfwesselius:

Cousin_IT:

Unless you want one of the bigger new releases, like Black Ops II or Max Payne 3.

Buretsu:

rolfwesselius:

Cousin_IT:

Unless you want one of the bigger new releases, like Max Payne 3.

MP3 pre-order was on sale a couple weeks back for $48.99 so you just need to watch for their mid-week and weekend madness sales.

This made my day. Now to window shop on Steam for the umpteenth time!

If this just adds money directly to your steam wallet, then you will inevitably end up with odd amounts of change you will never ever be able to spend. Yes I am that obsessive compulsive. Other than that it's a pretty cool.

Finally, I can buy a game off of steam without worrying about my Credit card (I had a distrust of using a credit card online before. Having it stolen and having to get a new card has only made me more paranoid about it.)

Awesome news.

So... why don't they do Impulse cards?

You know, since they own Impulse now.

US only. Yay. I hope this extends to other markets, since I'm not American.

Irridium:
Awesome news.

because Steam is bigger and they'll get more sales that way.

Hadn't even thought of the trade-in --> Steam card idea until I saw the specials box on Steam. In addition to gifting potential, this validates the idea's existence.

I really dont get why this is some sort of big deal. Gamestop sells, XBL point cards, PSN point cards a slew of MMO cash cards, and even some game specific digital distribution cards like say for fat princess of PSN.

So why is it that this feels more like steam being late to the party than Big evil gamestop bowing to their lord god and benevolent benefactor steam?

Fr]anc[is:
If this just adds money directly to your steam wallet, then you will inevitably end up with odd amounts of change you will never ever be able to spend. Yes I am that obsessive compulsive. Other than that it's a pretty cool.

Odd amounts can be applied to purchases. Sure that means that you will eventually have to use a credit card for something, but for the most part that's an inevitability with a retail to digital code.

My interpretation is the conversation went like this:

Steam: We sell games online at cheap prices!

Gamestop: Hey, uh, let's be partners.

Steam: Whatever...

Irridium:
Awesome news.

At the GameStop I frequent people can purchase a code for the game they want and when they get home they can redeem it on Impulse for the game.

On Topic: This is a good idea. I am surprised Valve never thought of doing this before till now. At least now I don't need to get a credit card just to use Steam.

Huh. I is a-confuse.

Not that log ago there was all that rigamarole about Gamestop buying Impulse from Stardock to be their spearhead into the digital distribution market. (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109120-Former-Impulse-Boss-Predicts-GameStop-Will-Beat-Steam)

Now they're selling Steam wallet vouchers? So, is this essentially tantamount to Gamestop admitting that Impulse (or whatever they ended up finally calling it) failed to take off?

God I always wanted these to come out. Not because I don't have a credit card, but because I lack will power. There are too many awesome sales on games I will never play that I buy because they are 80% off.

I have like 20 'Rainy Day' Games that I swear I will get into but I know I never will. Getting a twenty dollar card every month or so would force me to think about what I buy and not end up crying in a scolding hot shower trying to wash off my 'Steam Shame' :(

P.S: locatdions made me laugh for some reason :S

Call me when they do it for GoG and Gamersgate.

All shall bow before the awesome power of Steam!

or trade credits through our convenient neighborhood locations.

You know what's more convenient? A home computer...

A smart move, well done GameStop.

To me, this kind of move suggests that GameStop are trying to move with the times which can only be good news. Particularly given how many news stories there have been recently about major chains going out of business (and people loosing their jobs as a result).

I want these for Canada. Unfortunately, we're probably not going to get them unless Steam implements a static price in Canadian dollars for everything on their service, instead of us having to constantly dick around with exchange rates.

And even if they made a Canadian version with the system as it is now, I wouldn't envy the guy that has to field the endless river of customer service calls asking why their $50 card is only getting $46 worth of credit.

WELP, now I can make one list for my birthdays and Christmasses from here to forever.

So this is going to keep GameStop from posting losses and eventually going under then.
*sigh*
This news, while cool, is depressing.

Captcha: That's Enough. Boy is it ever captcha, boy is it ever.

Once again, what is with credit cards? People still use these? Doesn't everyone just have a debit card now? Weird.

I really like this, mainly because I'm only 16 and have no way of purchasing digital content on steam without bugging my parents to buy the things for me.

I also hate bothering them for the information so I can buy something so this is the best of both worlds.

Anyway, I'll be off to buy a twenty dollar card now.

Killing Floor, here I come!

porpoise hork:
Funny thing is it is so incredibly easy to add funds to your Steam wallet when you are logged into steam as it is. The only reasons I can see this being a benefit is if someone doesnt have a bank account, cc and/or paypal to add from. Or they want to buy this as a gift. That is pretty much it.

It is a smart move on GameStop's part to link up with Steam since gaming is quickly moving to an all digital format.

You can now trade in console games and use the money to buy PC games on Steam.

I can't believe this article! I have seen so many bits here on the Escapist telling how Gamestop has screwed over customers and game developers alike with their cheesey, greedy schemes and this article describes Steam as the devil? Maybe the author of this piece is a little console-biased, maybe?
I personally hate that Steam is in bed with these @#&%$ sleeze-bags, especially since Steam has pretty much been single-handedly keeping PC gaming alive, while gamestop's pc game section gets smaller and smaller. What, do people really like standing outside their stores at midnight waiting to buy a game no one has ever reviewed on its release date, just to pay the premium price? Would you like "the collector's edition" with that? Give me digital distribution, and Gamestop can just go $#@&*$%#@!

Geekeric:
I can't believe this article! I have seen so many bits here on the Escapist telling how Gamestop has screwed over customers and game developers alike with their cheesey, greedy schemes and this article describes Steam as the devil? Maybe the author of this piece is a little console-biased, maybe?
I personally hate that Steam is in bed with these @#&%$ sleeze-bags, especially since Steam has pretty much been single-handedly keeping PC gaming alive, while gamestop's pc game section gets smaller and smaller. What, do people really like standing outside their stores at midnight waiting to buy a game no one has ever reviewed on its release date, just to pay the premium price? Would you like "the collector's edition" with that? Give me digital distribution, and Gamestop can just go $#@&*$%#@!

Oh, you make it so easy..

Yes because midnight launches are the only way Gamestop does business. It's not like you can go in there during normal business hours and buy a game, new or used. No, you HAVE to be at midnight launches.

So let's say you hear about this great PS2 title that you missed. Can you run to Steam to get it? Can you run to a big box store like Wal Mart to get it? No, you need to go to a used game store because PS2 games are out of print. Good thing there are used game stores, right? Maybe you would prefer to wait until the game is released on PSN as a PS2 Classic?

This would have been pretty useful to me a couple years ago. I wanted to but I had no way of buying games on Steam.

porpoise hork:

transfering money from my bank account to paypal takes a good few days..this would be quicker/convineint

but yeah...damn shame they couldnt do this sooner

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or