Server Issues Mar Diablo III's Launch

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Server Issues Mar Diablo III's Launch

Forget the Prime Evils, players have yet to defeat the log-in screen.

Most major releases have at least a few issues on launch day, whether it's the need for a large patch to fix last minute problems, or just a long line to connect to a multiplayer server. As it turns out, Diablo III is no exception, as players are unfortunately encountering a host of issues, including full servers, performance problems, and the infamous "Error 37", which forces players to repeatedly login to their accounts.

"Please note that due to a high volume of traffic, login and character creation may be slower than normal," stated a message on the Diablo III login screen. "If you're unable to login to the game or create characters, please wait and try again. We've temporarily taken our Battle.net website offline and launched more servers to accommodate for the traffic. We hope to resolve these issues as soon as possible and appreciate your patience."

Blizzard had previously warned players they could experience delays when logging in, but appears to have slightly underestimated Diablo III's launch day demand. Blizzard's requirement that players always be connected to the internet, even for single player, has more than likely exacerbated the problem.

Currently, Blizzard has offered no ETA as to when they expect to have everything sorted out.

Source: Game Politics

They wouldn't give an accurate ETA anyway.

Good thing you can just play singl---oh... wait...

Never understand how companies constantly underestimate the amount of players who will want to play games like this on launch day. Blizzard should have expected this to happen.

And you can't even play the single player because you have to be constantly connected to the internet for playing what should be an "offline" mode.

Just more examples of how companies underestimate the amount of players that will log in to their games and how DRM simply doesn't work.

They should have run an open beta weekend to estimate general performance so they could ensure they were ready at release for the massive influx of players..

oh.. wait...

Another perfect example of why I don't buy games on day 1 anymore. I want to see just how little effort the company puts into the game over the next few months. They knew there was going to be a big launch, it WAS possible to prevent all of this. But that costs more money. Nickle and diming the customer strikes again. And I can't say I'm suprised. As much as Blizzard would like to say its the golden child of Activision, they can't avoid the corporate ideals that are directly opposed to the industry they are involved in.

Did they put up a few extra servers, ya. But that doesn't change the fact that the internet connection attached to the building can only handle so much. And changing that contract would cost them more money than your suffering and bitching is worth.

Unless you stop buying.

I feel excessive glee at this. I just...wow. Words can describe how my jollies have been rustled.

Problem with forced online play (for single player too) is..... you have to SUPPORT IT!

eh... I'm already in act III. playing with around 50-100 ms in latency, no problems whatsoever.

Breaking News: Popular game is popular.

And wow, we're about 9 posts in and already the stuck-up anti-DRM cretins have crawled out of the woodwork to whine.

DTH1337:
Never understand how companies constantly underestimate the amount of players who will want to play games like this on launch day. Blizzard should have expected this to happen.

And you can't even play the single player because you have to be constantly connected to the internet for playing what should be an "offline" mode.

Just more examples of how companies underestimate the amount of players that will log in to their games and how DRM simply doesn't work.

I doubt they really underestimate it, I think its more they just are planning ahead for when not as many people are logging on, they don't want to pay extra to be able to handle the huge initial influx of players and then end up not needing it a few weeks later.

Aeshi:

And wow, we're about 9 posts in and already the stuck-up indie worshipers have crawled out of the woodwork to whine.

The funny thing is that your the first person to mention anything indie so far in this thread.

Aeshi:

And wow, we're about 9 posts in and already the stuck-up indie worshipers have crawled out of the woodwork to whine.

Incase you missed EA's foray into the Indie market a little while ago. Indie isn't indie anymore. Its just the latest buzz word large corporations have taken to sticking on themselves.

Well at least it wont effect the single player any.

Oh wait, it will because it was designed by meddling dipshits who cant leave well enough alone, dammit.

Of course they are having problems. They have made the game an "always on DRM" game. It'll be a long while before I play this one, if I do. I still have managed to barely play SC2 and I have no interest in the game at all. I played that open beta weekend, and the game was just kinda boring I thought. I played through it with a couple of different classes, but nothing was that much fun, it certainly didn't feel like it would be worth $60.

I'm not knocking the game, it's fine if people are really enjoying it. I wish I could. My only point is that of course the launch is marred by server issues. It was a mistake in a lot of ways to have a single player game be server bound. There is no way companies can ever be prepared for this type of thing.

I have spent some time on the forums with some popcorn prepared to listen to the QQ and boy was I not disappointed. So many people complaining about constant internet connection required to play when they apparently ignored the box cover that said it and also did not read Blizzard mentioning that there will be an internet connection required.

People on the forums say the internet requirement is to help shake off hackers and any other kind of annoyances that were around in D2.

I have not played D2 (never really got into the franchise TBH) so I cannot tell how annoying those people were but after Starcraft 2 needed a constant internet connection to play should this have surprised anyone?

Also today is the launch day; I can not really recall any game, that had such a huge fanbase, that ran without a hitch so to speak.

Antari:
Incase you missed EA's foray into the Indie market a little while ago. Indie isn't indie anymore. Its just the latest buzz word large corporations have taken to sticking on themselves.

Indie still means indie, even if EA is not using the term correctly. It is a buzz word, but most development houses still use the word correctly. EA uses it in the terms of the games being low budget, non-triple-A titles. This is an element of indie games, but we all know it means independent of publishers. EA is stupid, but the meaning of indie hasn't changed and is still used properly by most games that are listed as "indie".

What's the chances there will be a crack so you can play it without a internet connection by the end of this month?

Xannidel:
I have spent some time on the forums with some popcorn prepared to listen to the QQ and boy was I not disappointed. So many people complaining about constant internet connection required to play when they apparently ignored the box cover that said it and also did not read Blizzard mentioning that there will be an internet connection required.

People on the forums say the internet requirement is to help shake off hackers and any other kind of annoyances that were around in D2.

I have not played D2 (never really got into the franchise TBH) so I cannot tell how annoying those people were but after Starcraft 2 needed a constant internet connection to play should this have surprised anyone?

Also today is the launch day; I can not really recall any game, that had such a huge fanbase, that ran without a hitch so to speak.

While they did say from the first moment that it will have an internet connection required and be always on, did it ever occur to you that it annoys people who buy a game like this and then cannot play it for that reason, especially in light of it not being a necessary part of the actual gameplay? I understand, all the crying and what not is annoying, but crying about crying isn't making leaps and bounds into new territory either. :P

I like how when I click the tab for the most recent articles right now on The Escapist, I get an entire screen filled with Diablo 3 articles. So, uh, what else is out there?

On that note, makes me feel bad for all the people who just want to play a single player game.

Ed130:
What's the chances there will be a crack so you can play it without a internet connection by the end of this month?

Zero. All of the drops, and enemy spawns are server side. Without it there is no game.

And this, in addition to the plethora of tests I have this week, is why I am going to buy Diablo 3 in a week, when the server number has been increased to sustain all the people and I won't fail tests due to entire days being consumed by Diablo.

Ed130:

I'm going with fairly low as a hell of a lot of the game is serverside.

Edit: Fecking ninjas.

its the Apocalypse call the life guards

i remain unsurprised

since you know, this happens every time any thing 'online' launches

Aeshi:

And wow, we're about 9 posts in and already the stuck-up anti-DRM cretins have crawled out of the woodwork to whine.

disappointing isn't it, you'd think they'd have something better to do.

Baresark:

Antari:

Indie still means indie, even if EA is not using the term correctly. It is a buzz word, but most development houses still use the word correctly. EA uses it in the terms of the games being low budget, non-triple-A titles. This is an element of indie games, but we all know it means independent of publishers. EA is stupid, but the meaning of indie hasn't changed and is still used properly by most games that are listed as "indie".

If you take a closer look at development budgets and major contributors to a few of these "indie developers" you might find yourself going back on that statement. A year ago, I could agree with you. But now, not so much. Just because they aren't releasing through a major publisher doesn't mean they aren't being run by one through the wallet. With the exception of a very small handfull of developers using systems like Kickstarter, most indie's aren't indie anymore.

Aeshi:

I saw your post on the other thread, and now you've incredibly stealthily edited this one, I really have to ask you - what good has DRM ever done? Far as I know, there's only one example of it working (Spliner Cell: Chaos Theory, 422 days to crack) and to get to that level it virtually became MalWare.

DRM is not inherently bad - a system which stops anyone from being able to pirate games with no detriment to the consumer would be brilliant. But thus far, all we've had is the paying customer suffering more than the pirate. That is not a good thing, especially when the protection amounts to putting a picture of a scary face in the games' files to deter people.

Server issues? At launch?!

But seriously, as Fappy brought up, thank god for LAN-play and single player.

Baresark:

Ed130:

Zero. All of the drops, and enemy spawns are server side. Without it there is no game.

Which means that if Blizzard decides to take down the servers at some yet to be determined time, there is no game. Oh well, at least I will always have D2.

Anyone who didn't see this coming is a twat. Regardless of DRM issues, a lot of people were still going to buy Diablo III, they were going to get it on launch day, they were going to want to play it on launch day, and a large amount of people were not going to be able to play this on launch day because of servers hitting capacity.

Not that it matters. Once launch day issues are over, people will start playing at different times, relieving the servers, start buying stuff from the online auction store, and Blizzard will call it a great big success. There will be people who can't play because their connection is dodgy, but they don't matter either, in the large scheme of things. And the cycle continues.

Lucky for me I got into the game straight away, no hassle.

My only concern is my internet cutting out as it typically does from time to time, but if that happens I can always play Torchlight 1 until it comes back on, because you know, you can actually play that without a connection.

DTH1337:

Heh, indeed.

Activision/Blizzard - "Diablo 3 will be a huge launch that'll take the gaming world by storm, which is confirmed by the millions of pre-orders!"

Everyone else - "So how many servers have you set up for it?"

Activision/Blizzard - "Um... seven?"

Everyone else - "..."

Scars Unseen:

Baresark:

Ed130:

Which means that if Blizzard decides to take down the servers at some yet to be determined time, there is no game. Oh well, at least I will always have D2.

This is true. I wonder how long certain games will last. For instance, EA has taken to shutting off servers and they are one of the biggest publishers out there (though they are having financial issues). This is a good reason why SP games are still very relevant and very important. Anything that runs this way has a built in expiration date, even if no one knows what it is. Games that I grew up playing on the PC do not. Sure with new OS's and what not it becomes harder to play them and may require some tweaking, but the game isn't dead. This game will one day die, even if it's 20 years from now, and when it does, there will be no resurrecting it.

Soviet Heavy:
Oh goody, another insane launch because they underestimate the demand. Just like TOR trying to limit how many people could play at launch and failing utterly.

I called it. I fucking called it. And does this really surprise anyone at all?

Baresark:

Ed130:

Bets? Within 3 months there will be a offline server setup. Within 6 it will be indistinguishable from blizzard's setup, and within a year the server will be moddable.

Worgen:

DTH1337:

I doubt they really underestimate it, I think its more they just are planning ahead for when not as many people are logging on, they don't want to pay extra to be able to handle the huge initial influx of players and then end up not needing it a few weeks later.

If they'd made sure the release went smoothly they probably wouldn't have to worry about loosing half the userbase within the first couple of months.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here