"Mid-Core" May Be the New "Casual"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

"Mid-Core" May Be the New "Casual"

Spending trends indicate that social players are gravitating towards more traditional titles.

There are two types of gamers according to conventional internet wisdom. The "core" gamer, who is beautiful and just, and the iPhone-wielding "casual," who if the forums I frequent are to be believed, resembles a Morlock in khaki pants. Some fringe lunatics posit the idea that getting more people into gaming is always a good thing, and that even the most casual gamer can, with a little bit of guidance, learn to appreciate the finer things in life. Like Dark Souls. Current spending trends seem to indicate that this is indeed the case.

A report from market research firm, SuperData, suggests that the revenue brought in from the average social gamer has dropped from $45.58 to $37.59 in the span of the year. However, while gamers are spending less in certain games, they're actually buying more games overall, particularly in the shooter and strategy genre. Less interactive games, like Farmville, have been hit hardest by the reduction in revenue.

The so-called "Mid-Core" are driving social game growth, with the total percentage of paying players rising from 1.4% to 2.5% in the space of a year.

"Mid-core social games are clearly driving the current momentum," said Analyst, Janelle Benjamin. "This emerging genre represents a different gaming demographic that spends substantially more."

And that's how we do it folks. You introduce granny to Farmville, then Jetpack Joyride, then before you know it she starts, beasting as Magneto.

Source: Gameindustry.biz

Grey Carter:

And that's how we do it folks. You introduce granny to Farmville, then Jetpack Joyride, then before you know it she starts, beasting as Magneto.

Or scarier yet, griefing players in Dark Souls in between knitting you more embarrassing holiday sweaters. Just wait til she one-shots you repeatedly with cheapshot backstabs the day before Christmas.

I don't have time to be a hardcore gamer. I need to study.

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait.... wait. Casual and social gaming isn't an infectious disease on gaming proper? Dear mind, consider yourself blown.

Dafuq is a 'Mid-Core' game? Aaron Eckhart and Hilary Swank playing Go Fish while waiting for the shock-wave to hit?

I can just picture it now. Grandma is such a boss:

Define "Mid-Core" because I've never heard the term before.

Personally, I've always considered "hardcore" and "casual" as the extremes of gaming culture. "Casual" as the more fringe players... Facebook games, Big Fish downloadable titles, etc... and "hardcore" as just the "everything gotta be tough; ALWAYS go for platinum on Impossible difficulty" nutballs who consider you a pussy if you dislike Demons/Dark Souls.

Kimarous:
Define "Mid-Core" because I've never heard the term before.

Personally, I've always considered "hardcore" and "casual" as the extremes of gaming culture. "Casual" as the more fringe players... Facebook games, Big Fish downloadable titles, etc... and "hardcore" as just the "everything gotta be tough; ALWAYS go for platinum on Impossible difficulty" nutballs who consider you a pussy if you dislike Demons/Dark Souls.

As I understand it: Hardcore gamers are different from "core" gamers. Core gamers are just gamers into traditional titles on traditional consoles.

Assimilation Successful.

>.>

yay?

so this means casuals are moving on to big and better things,
>.> <.<
did any one not see this coming? its kinda how gaming works -.-

Lunar Templar:
>.>

yay?

>.> <.<

Thank you. Jeez, I wasn't wrecking people in Smash Bros and getting all A's in Sonic Adventure 2 from the friggin' get go. I played simpler stuff like solitare or Mario Bros or frogger. You play the simpler stuff, and then if you like gaming enough as a hobby, you dive deeper into it. Sunrise, sunset.

P.S. Shit, man, I accidently reported you! How do I cancel/change it?!

BX3:

Lunar Templar:
>.>

yay?

>.> <.<

Thank you. Jeez, I wasn't wrecking people in Smash Bros and getting all A's in Sonic Adventure 2 from the friggin' get go. I played simpler stuff like solitare or Mario Bros or frogger. You play the simpler stuff, and then if you like gaming enough as a hobby, you dive deeper into it. Sunrise, sunset.

P.S. Shit, man, I accidently reported you! How do I cancel/change it?!

Don't worry about it, mods will see it and just ignore it.

BX3:

Lunar Templar:
>.>

yay?

>.> <.<

P.S. Shit, man, I accidentally reported you! How do I cancel/change it?!

talk to a mod? or I'll handle it if anything comes of it, there is a repeal clause for just such occasions :3

Grey Carter:
Don't worry about it, mods will see it and just ignore it.

Lunar Templar:
talk to a mod? or I'll handle it if anything comes of it, there is a repeal clause for just such occasions :3

*Wipes brow*

Alrighty then. That's a relief.

There needs to be a better way to label social-only gamers and the rest of us gamers. I'm pretty sure my mom doesn't know what the fuck a RTS is.
Or a RPG.
Or a JRPG
Or a FPS.
Or an IP.
Or a dev.
Or how to hold a controller.
Or how to plug in a PS3.
Or what the fuck Steam is.

But shit, she sure plays a lot of Farmville. GAMERS FOR LIFE!!!

Well that would explain why my Uncle and Aunt became Mario Kart Gods over night... that or some sort of new nerdy super powers

Flailing Escapist:
There needs to be a better way to label social-only gamers and the rest of us gamers. I'm pretty sure my mom doesn't know what the fuck a RTS is.
Or a RPG.
Or a JRPG
Or a FPS.
Or an IP.
Or a dev.
Or how to hold a controller.
Or how to plug in a PS3.

But shit, she sure plays a lot of Farmville. GAMERS FOR LIFE!!!

Doesn't mean she won't eventually. And if these numbers are any indication, she might in the future. Which is only good for us...

OT: Pretty cool. I suspected this might begin to happen, but I was not sure. But, if more and more people start buying core games, we will get more core games. Which I am perfectly content with. :D

Flailing Escapist:

What? As in, vaporised water?

So they've moved from facebook games to flash games?
Grats casuals! You're where I was 10 years ago! :D

Andronicus:

Flailing Escapist:

What? As in, vaporised water?

Touche. Good one

Sounds good.
So casual is just a gateway genre for the real thing in the future?
I can live with that.

also:

Related to:
johnathan grey carter, farmville, filthy casuals, market, social

I have seen this kind of thing happening, particularly if you frequent some of the popular xbox shooters like battlefield, COD, and gears of war. I've often found people who play little else, but aren't the usual COD obsessed players, rather they don't play games much, as thus tend to go for the most popular ones. Sounds good, especially if it brings more friendly, cooperative people into my games...

To think just a few months ago I was mocked (not here mind you) for insisting that gamers in general could be described as "Hardcore" "Softcore" and "Casual" and there existed a gaming demographics something in between the extremes of hardcore hobbyists and the grandmas who only play Wii Sports and Wii Fit.

I picture it like food. 'Casual' games are like fast food- good for a quick fix when you're in a hurry and don't have time for anything substantial. 'Hardcore' games are like dinner at a fancy restaurant- you set aside a dedicated timeslot to enjoy and savour the consumption. Both have their place, but it sure is nice to know that more people are refining their tastes and not surviving solely on greasy burgers and lukewarm fries.

This is kind of how it works, you can't just jump into any old game and expect to do it right. But it sure as hell can be funny sometimes.

And in a few years, it won't be the twelve year old kids screaming down the microphone you'll have to worry about, it'll be the old ladies..

"BACK IN MY DAY YOU YOUNG-ENS HAD SKILL" she will say with 50/0 K/D...

*shakes head slowly* The internet would call me a "Core" gamer, but the way I see it, unless you are a critic, Designer, or professional tester, you're a casual gamer. Because gaming is something you do in your spare time, no matter how much you have.

We're all casual gamers. And if you don't like those iPhone games, don't buy them. Developers pay attention to money flow. And even if they make money hand-over-fist from those games and don't make the ones you want, then there are still independent developers who want to make games their way. And chances are those desires will be in line with yours.

My captcha is "laser beams." I'm so happy the advertising captchas are gone.

Yes we clearly need more silly labels no one knows what they mean. Thank you.

Flailing Escapist:
Or an IP.

IP isn't a gaming term, it's a blanket copyright term. True, the layman probably doesn't know what it means exactly, but it's not a term that is specific to a videogame player's knowledge. I hate to complain but it seemed weird seeing it snuggled in besides the gaming lingo, when it's not.

loa:

We need at least a dozen more.

Casual, Lower-Mid-Casual, Mid-Casual, Upper-Mid-Casual, Lower-Mid-Core, Upper-Mid-Core, Core, Lower-Hard-Core, Mid-Hard-Core, Upper-Hard-Core, Beat-Dark-Souls-Without-Dying.

As I've gotten older I've come to see less and less difference between the term "demographic" and "stereotype".

Someone wanna point out the meaninful differences to me? Because I don't see it.

"YOU! You are a casual. You like frivolity and shiny colors."

"YOU! You are a hardcore. You like explosions and high def graphics."

"YOU THERE!? What be ye... some kind of half-core?! What mockery is this!?"

-.-

Andy of Comix Inc:

Flailing Escapist:
Or an IP.

IP isn't a gaming term, it's a blanket copyright term. True, the layman probably doesn't know what it means exactly, but it's not a term that is specific to a videogame player's knowledge. I hate to complain but it seemed weird seeing it snuggled in besides the gaming lingo, when it's not.

I use it more often when I'm talking about games than not. Plus it's something most gamers should know about. So they have some idea of what's going where and who's handling what. It just came to mind when I was writing down everything else.

JEBWrench:

loa:

We need at least a dozen more.

Casual, Lower-Mid-Casual, Mid-Casual, Upper-Mid-Casual, Lower-Mid-Core, Upper-Mid-Core, Core, Lower-Hard-Core, Mid-Hard-Core, Upper-Hard-Core, Beat-Dark-Souls-Without-Dying.

All I can see now is a parody of the Frost Reports class sketch done for gamers.

I'd link the sketch but its damned near difficult to find a version of it on youtube.

On topic: Another pointless term that I couldn't give a flying fuck about? AWESOME!

Emiscary:
As I've gotten older I've come to see less and less difference between the term "demographic" and "stereotype".

Someone wanna point out the meaninful differences to me? Because I don't see it.

-.-

Okay, the phrase "some kind of half-core?" is entering my vocabulary.

Grey Carter:

Emiscary:

-.-

Okay, the phrase "some kind of half-core?" is entering my vocabulary.

You're welcome :P

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or