Nintendo Backpedals on Mario Kart 7 Glitches

Nintendo Backpedals on Mario Kart 7 Glitches

A mandatory update will remove three glitchy shortcuts from Mario Kart 7.

Heh. "Backpedals." That was kind of clever.

Back when it became apparent that unscrupulous players could use Mario Kart 7's dodgy respawn mechanics to circumvent vast portions of three of the game's tracks, Nintendo flat out refused to fix the issue, "as doing so would create an unfair advantage for the users of the original release of the game."

Most speculated this was down to Nintendo's inability or refusal to allow to downloadable game patches for the 3DS. Nintendo finally got around to implementing a patch system for the handheld last month, and they've now announced a mandatory update that will remove the glitches from the online portion of Mario Kart 7. Filthy online cheaters will now find that the shortcuts on Wuhu Island Loop, Wuhu Mountain Loop and Bowser's Castle 1 no longer work.

Players who attempt to play Mario Kart 7 online will be prompted to quit the game and download the latest patch, Ver 1.1, from the eShop. The patch won't affect the single player content, so you can cheat your robot friends out of victories until their tears rust their tiny robot hearts.

Source: Nintendo via Wired

"unfair advantage" or lazy bug department? YOU DECIDE!

Nintendo seem to be including game-breaking bugs as standard in first-party titles lately. Yet they still refuse to implement a proper patching system -_-

I remember the glitches in mario kart 64... but man were they hard to pull off.

I wouldn't mind having them if they take a lot of skill to perform :p

Finally... it took me ages to work out why I always lost on a few particular courses.

**Slow Clap** Surely this is the bleeding edge of gaming. Tell me more about these mysterious 'patches'.

Well done Nintendo. You have offically reached 2001 **Clap... Clap... Clap***. Next you might tell me they have invented a way to play gamnes online without an IP adres- i mean 'friend code'. Nintendo is such a backward-ass place at this point it dosen't even amuse me any more. I know you think you own all our childhoods but in the cold light of day you have become pretty sucky.

This just set back gaming 20 years and killed all artistic integrity.

Grey Carter:
Nintendo Backpedals On Mario Kart 7 Glitches

...And pisses Fire.

Oh Nintendo, you'll catch up eventually.

"The patch won't effect the single player content, so you can cheat your robot friends out of victories until their tears rust their tiny robot hearts."

I'm sure you meant to say, "The patch won't AFFECT the single player content...."

Grey Carter:
The patch won't effect the single player content, so you can cheat your robot friends out of victories until their tears rust their tiny robot hearts.

Affect, innit?

Anyway, is this really backpedaling? Their prior option was to effectively release two different versions. Now that they can patch, there's no unfairness.

Scrumpmonkey:
**Slow Clap** Surely this is the bleeding edge of gaming. Tell me more about these mysterious 'patches'.

Well done Nintendo. You have offically reached 2001 **Clap... Clap... Clap***. Next you might tell me they have invented a way to play gamnes online without an IP adres- i mean 'friend code'.

Maybe someday, when people actually want online gaming, they will do this.

Grey Carter:

Would you say they're drifting from their original stance?

Next thing you know... Yahtzee will actually REVIEW this game!

If Nintendo back peddle enough they might go back to a time when they made games worth buying.

Scrumpmonkey:
Next you might tell me they have invented a way to play gamnes online without an IP adres- i mean 'friend code'.

Don't forget that little kids play these games too, and the last thing Nintendo wants is the parental shitstorm that follows little Billy joining a random Mario Kart 7 race and getting cussed at by a stranger online.

DVS BSTrD:

Grey Carter:

Would you say they're drifting from their original stance?

Next thing you know... Yahtzee will actually REVIEW this game!

Do we really need the forums to go into another downward spiral of "Yatzhee hates Nintendo!!"?
We're barely done with the Kid Icarus Uprising cryfest.

Buretsu:

Scrumpmonkey:
Next you might tell me they have invented a way to play gamnes online without an IP adres- i mean 'friend code'.

Don't forget that little kids play these games too, and the last thing Nintendo wants is the parental shitstorm that follows little Billy joining a random Mario Kart 7 race and getting cussed at by a stranger online.

Not very likely on a portable game that lacks voice chat (on a side note portable games that require any kind of sound input are a dumb idea).

Their voice chat in general is also another issue. Even on the Wii "Wii speak" was brought in with a great deal of fanfare. Really it was just a low quality proprietary speaker/mic peripheral with VERY limited support. If you are going to do something at all at least have in in the same league as your competitors. Wii speak is a prime example of how backward-ass Nintendo were/are doing things. It felt like it belonged in the gamecube era.

I suppose it would feel compfortable back there as their general online support, graphical prowess, multimedia capbilities and 90% of their lineup feels like it dates from 2001.

I didn't mind the glitches, everyone knew it, those who didn't could check on youtube how to do it, thus making the game fair to everyone.

This news is just more wood to throw to the anti nintendo fire among The Escapist community.

Anoni Mus:
I didn't mind the glitches, everyone knew it, those who didn't could check on youtube how to do it, thus making the game fair to everyone.

This news is just more wood to throw to the anti nintendo fire among The Escapist community.

And now nobody will be able to do it, thus making the game fair to everyone.

And it's a story about Nintendo, but it's a positive one (despite the implications in the title of the article), so it only adds to the anti-Nintendo fire of stupid people.

No patch? Nintendo is lazy and behind the times.

A patch is released? They're backpedaling.

Nintendo: Always wrong, because, um, reasons.

Grey Carter:

Not really? In the literal sense isn't that a bicycling term?

Buretsu:

Anoni Mus:

And now nobody will be able to do it, thus making the game fair to everyone.

And it's a story about Nintendo, but it's a positive one (despite the implications in the title of the article), so it only adds to the anti-Nintendo fire of stupid people.

True, I don't think this is bad, it's better this way, but the glithces weren't that big of a deal for me.

It only adds to the anti nintendo fire because everything about Nintendo even if it's good will be transformed into bad by this community.

Well better late then never I guess, but their reasons of delaying it seems very odd.

i think it's mostly because they haven't really made any infrastructure for that kind of thing, and that they didn't want to waste any time on it

also because they believed their games were made well enough to not require it, and that their quality control was designed to maintain those standards

sadly the reality shifts further away from perception with each day, and they struggle to maintain their position

Anoni Mus:

No it's not.

Anyone able to find a hint of negativity in the fact that Ninty did what people have been begging them to since the glitches were found might as well write "check me out, I'm pretty stupid" on their forehead. This is an objectively good thing.

Cool, now I won't have to cheat every time Maka Wuhu comes up to have a chance of being in the top 3. I am glad Nintendo is trying to get better at online things, even if it is taking them a lot longer than it should.

I think I've managed one of those glitches once maybe...and it was by accident. It beat the staff ghost though, so I wasn't too upset

Dryk:
Nintendo seem to be including game-breaking bugs as standard in first-party titles lately. Yet they still refuse to implement a proper patching system -_-

Did Mario Kart 7 have a game breaking bug?

It's not a glitch it's an advanced technique, like snaking.

Icehearted:

So they're removing a feature. DAMN YOU, NINTENDO!

Crono1973:

Dryk:

Did Mario Kart 7 have a game breaking bug?

Kind of. There is an area in a stage called Maka Wuhu where you could entirely skip a section of the stage by driving into the water. I didn't know it was on 2 other stages, though. Hmm....

Icehearted:

Heh, heh. Nice.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
"unfair advantage" or lazy bug department? YOU DECIDE!

Oh, if only the work of twenty-odd could match the effort of thousands.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here