My Little Diablo: The Secret Level Is Magic

Pages 1 2 NEXT

My Little Diablo: The Secret Level Is Magic

Don't click here if you don't want Diablo III spoilers.

Back in the day, before questions of server crashes or permanent online requirements, the biggest controversy about Diablo III was its art style. Fans called it cartoonish "WoW gayness," and claimed that it didn't represent Diablo. The developers, of course, disagreed, though series creator Bill Roper thought the fans had a point.

Either way, Blizzard was never above poking fun at the controversy, whether in claims that there would be sparkle-farting unicorns as enemies, the double-rainbow (all the way!) that marked the end of the BlizzCon 2010 demo, or this magnificent T-shirt that is sadly sold out in my size. But if you're going to make fun of something, you should go all the way.

In this case, "all the way" means "making it a playable level in the final game."

Enter "Whimsyshire," the Diablo III version of Diablo II's infamous "Secret Cow Level." Like the Diablo II secret, Whimsyshire pits players up against hordes of four-hooved farm animals in search of loot. Unlike the Secret Cow Level, Whimsyshire's enemies come straight out of My Little Pony.

That's not an exaggeration, either - with names like "Rainbow Western," "Midnight Sparkle," "Nightmarity" and "Nightmare is Magic," it's more an explicit reference than anything else. Not that Blizzard is any stranger to pop culture references in its games, of course.

How does one get to Whimsyshire, anyway? It involves the acquisition of otherwise useless-seeming items, for one. You can read more about it here, and I'm sure there are walkthroughs all around the internet, but part of the fun is figuring it out on your own, right?

All I know is that Whimsyshire is the best ending to the silly "art controversy" that anyone could have ever imagined. Well played.

Source: Battle.net

Reminds me a bit of the "Notched" pick-axe you find in Skyrim. I love a good in-game joke. Borderlands is good for that, too.

Unicorns make everything better.
And as for the soundtrack, you just can't beat dis chord.

OMFG BLIZZ Y U NO GRIMDARK? Y U RAINBOW? WHAT'S NEXT BLIZZ? BUFF DOUBLE RAINBOWS? AND THEN TRIPLE RAINBOWS?!??? OMFG BLIZZARD Y U NO TAKE DIABLO SRS!? NO JOKES NEEDED. THIS IS SERIOUS GAME, I AM SERIOUS GAMER.

*cough*

All done. I've found the whole MLP pony thing kinda weird, but I'm more than accepting of it if it means poking copious amounts of fun at all the guys crying over the rainbow thing. I have a few friends in my guild who'll be more than overjoyed to see this.

One of them read a letter to Princess Celestia over Mumble after we got him his Dragonwrath. It was nerdy and adorable.

well, I'm sure the pony haters will love this.

i'm just having a hard time getting the joke. shock value at the radically different tones, i guess. ether way i see it as kinda dumb

The music choice made it all the more awesome.

Fappy:
The music choice made it all the more awesome.

I'd say it's about... 20% cooler.

Nasrin:
Reminds me a bit of the "Notched" pick-axe you find in Skyrim. I love a good in-game joke. Borderlands is good for that, too.

I was under the impression that it was a big coincidence.

Since we're talking about in game jokes/references, there's a Psycho reference early in Diablo. Hitchcock's Psycho that is.

Waaghpowa:

Nasrin:

I was under the impression that it was a big coincidence.

Since we're talking about in game jokes/references, there's a Psycho reference early in Diablo. Hitchcock's Psycho that is.

I'm sure some are coincidence and some are intentional. Regardless, still fun and funny :)

I had several conflicting responses to this. Rather than just pick one, I will post them all.

This goes against the entire tone of the rest of the game and contradicts what we loyal fans are expecting! Retake Diablo! Change the secret level! HOLD THA LIIIINE!(/sarcasm)

EES SO ADOWABLE! :3

A nice little treat, Blizzard. Shame nobody can actually play your game to get to it.

Gotta love a good sense of humor.

My god... the Herd is spreading... TAKE SHELTER!

If that link guide is correct then I am in the right direction so far at the moment (I have picked out two black murshoon among my five characters).
While it is funny but it does make a refreshing change (why does it got to be nighttime all the time? And yes I'm new to the game series before you asked).

I wonder what would happen if a Hasbro employee was caught playing this at work.

Th-those clouds....those ":D" clouds....THOSE GRINNING CLOUDS!!!

I WANT ONE! They look hilarious and awesome! XD

Magnificently done, Blizzard. I was laughing and applauding the whole way through the video. Totally awesome counter-troll. XD

Captcha: Oh yes.

Wow. Even Captcha agrees!

Amnestic:
OMFG BLIZZ Y U NO GRIMDARK? Y U RAINBOW? WHAT'S NEXT BLIZZ? BUFF DOUBLE RAINBOWS? AND THEN TRIPLE RAINBOWS?!??? OMFG BLIZZARD Y U NO TAKE DIABLO SRS!? NO JOKES NEEDED. THIS IS SERIOUS GAME, I AM SERIOUS GAMER.

*cough*

All done. I've found the whole MLP pony thing kinda weird, but I'm more than accepting of it if it means poking copious amounts of fun at all the guys crying over the rainbow thing. I have a few friends in my guild who'll be more than overjoyed to see this.

One of them read a letter to Princess Celestia over Mumble after we got him his Dragonwrath. It was nerdy and adorable.

Oh god, dat pic O_o

*adds to lulz folder for future use*

No but seriously, this is all sorts of awesome

Amnestic:

Make this an optional, collector's edition cover art for the game, please?

That would be amazing.

In other news, WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO. Pony meme train doesn't die. I'm loving the infectious nature of this meme and how it is infecting other things. A candy coloured countercurrent to a lot of what's popular and seen as popular in the gaming industry today. If I'm not mistaken, World of Warcraft also has a reference to Nazrin from Touhou. Life always needs to be cuter and more candy coloured.

I'd like to see Blizzard make a My Little Pony game, I'd buy it.

I followed the link to the Diablo III forum post for this, and read a few of the comments. Some people actually really do think this ruins the game, somehow O_o

Honestly, some people just have no sense of humour...

Andronicus:
I followed the link to the Diablo III forum post for this, and read a few of the comments. Some people actually really do think this ruins the game, somehow O_o

Honestly, some people just have no sense of humour...

I've noted that on the blizzard forums any news will have at least a few people complaining.

LilithSlave:
I'd like to see Blizzard make a My Little Pony game, I'd buy it.

Sure. Any game where you can murder ponies is okay in my book. Serve Rarity medium-rare. Dash the Rainbow with spilt blood. Twilight Sparkles off of glistening white pony bones. Stuff an Apple in Jack's mouth, roast her over a spit. A steaming slice of Pinkie pie for dessert. Shredded bits of a Shy pony Fluttering down onto the bloodstained ground.

Make it happen, Blizzard!

Buretsu:
Sure. Any game where you can murder ponies is okay in my book.

I worry about your mental stability.

I know that video games are often about violence. But there's just something about celebrating animal cruelty, even fictional animal cruelty so...

LilithSlave:

Buretsu:
Sure. Any game where you can murder ponies is okay in my book.

I worry about your mental stability.

I know that video games are often about violence. But there's just something about celebrating animal cruelty, even fictional animal cruelty so...

So you're one of those types who has no problem killing human enemies in video games, but will never kill an animal in them?

Buretsu:
So you're one of those types who has no problem killing human enemies in video games, but will never kill an animal in them?

No, you're just creepily excited and specific about it.

LilithSlave:

Buretsu:

I'm not being specific. Blizzard, of course, should be the one to decide how they die. I'm just giving suggestions, is all.

Buretsu:

LilithSlave:

Buretsu:

I'm not being specific. Blizzard, of course, should be the one to decide how they die. I'm just giving suggestions, is all.

Very specific suggestions. And you suggested my two top ponies. Begone with you!

Now if only blizzard had put some Chris Chan style Bronies on the level to explode/fry/eviscerate i could really begin to tickle my jollies.

Yes.
Conquest and destruction of the pony menace?
The emperor will be pleased.

Gigaguy64:
Yes.

We have arrived, and it is now that we perform our charge. In fealty to the God-Emperor (our undying Lord) and by the Grace of the Golden Throne, I declare Exterminatus upon the Imperial World of Equestria. I hereby sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a million souls to oblivion. May Imperial Justice account in all balance. The Emperor Protects.

Edit: I terrify myself knowing i have this on a file for such situations.

Now im gonna look on google and see if anyone has posted a drawing of the MLP cast getting mauled by the Diablo 3 classes...

WanderingFool:
Now im gonna look on google and see if anyone has posted a drawing of the MLP cast getting mauled by the Diablo 3 classes...

Are you kidding? The Ponies would run circles around them.

Versuvius:

Gigaguy64:
Yes.

We have arrived, and it is now that we perform our charge. In fealty to the God-Emperor (our undying Lord) and by the Grace of the Golden Throne, I declare Exterminatus upon the Imperial World of Equestria. I hereby sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a million souls to oblivion. May Imperial Justice account in all balance. The Emperor Protects.

Edit: I terrify myself knowing i have this on a file for such situations.

Populous of Equestria! The hideos invaders may take our magic! They may take our lives! But they will never take, OUR FRIENDSHIP!!!!

CHARGE! FOR ALL OF PONY KIND!!!!

Not really seeing the humor in all this. I would if the whiners actually had no leg to stand on, but this is trying to poke fun at an objective truth, however much some people downplay or overstate it.

...How can you say well played if you were on their side the whole time?

A welcome change to the mood of the game.

"Sunshine lollipops and rainbows..."

Blizzard has made the perfect secret level (still not encouraging me to buy the game and deal with the terrible DRM). Think about it, bronies can play it for the novelty value of having a level set in a place like Equestria in Diablo 3. Then anti bronies can play it and get their sick fantasies of murdering ponies out the way! Neutrals can just play it for the novelty! It's a win all round situation!

Anyone complaining about this, saying Diablo 3 is ruined. Fuck you.

Why are bronies offended by this? I love the show and thought this was hilarious. It's a game and it shows that even if Blizzard is imposing this DRM on us, there is still a little light somewhere in the company.

Hammeroj:
but this is trying to poke fun at an objective truth,

That objective truth being?

Amnestic:

Hammeroj:
but this is trying to poke fun at an objective truth,

That objective truth being?

Oh, I don't know. It had to do with celery as far as I remember[1].

[1] Don't be coy, you know what I'm talking about.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here