Microsoft Offers Refunds To Low-Def Minecraft Users

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Microsoft Offers Refunds To Low-Def Minecraft Users

Minecraft's Xbox 360 description has been amended to show that split-screen is only available on HD TVs.

Gamers stuck with standard definition televisions have had a rough time with this console generation. Usually, the problem is tiny text which simply isn't readable on older televisions, but the Xbox 360 version of Minecraft has a more serious ailment: One of the advertised game features, split-screen play, simply doesn't work on SD TVs.

In response to irate customers making a stink about the issue, Microsoft has revised its listing for the game, and is offering a full refund to SD TV-owning gamers for whom the lack of split-screen is a deal-breaker.

"We updated our pre-sale notification to inform customers that an HD screen is required for the split-screen multiplayer feature onMinecraft: Xbox 360 Edition," a Microsoft rep told Kotaku. "If a player does not have an HD screen and purchased this game prior to the notification update, they are eligible for a full refund through customer support."

Now it's easy, and kind of satisfying, to brand SD TV-owners as stubborn Luddites clutching at hilariously outdated technology, but according to a recent survey by the Leichtman Research Group, around 30% of US households are still using SD TVs. Also, not all consoles are hooked up to the house's main television, and many younger gamers find themselves using hand-me-down SD TVs for their gaming. The same data indicates that close to 60% of the TVs currently in use in the US are not HD-capable.

Source: Kotaku

Hehe, playing Minecraft somehow requires HD. Ah what a superficial and shallow age we live in.

Boy! Good thing I have a HD TV...

Don't have a HD TV at all, was disappointed when I hooked it up to play with my brother and I couldn't read a thing ;_;

EDIT: Im having a brain mess.
How exactly do I go for a refund?
Is it over my xbox, or can I do it online?
If so, how?
Cant find a specific link to message anyone, or any premade Microsoft link.

Minecraft and HD shouldnt be in the same sentence.

DVS BSTrD:
Hehe, playing Minecraft somehow requires HD. Ah what a superficial and shallow age we live in.

The irony is delicious, to be honest.

JaceArveduin:

DVS BSTrD:

The irony is delicious, to be honest.

Irony is always delicious.

draythefingerless:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/127377-16x-32x-64x-128x-256x12-lb-photo-realism-124-update-3292012/
Problem?
That's not even close to being as HD as it gets. There's 2048x2048 somewhere, but I can't be arsed to find it.

Wow! I can honestly say I'm astonished by how many people still use SDTV's, I mean you could pick up a HDTV for only about 80 now right? Maybe less if you get it used.

.No.:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/127377-16x-32x-64x-128x-256x12-lb-photo-realism-124-update-3292012/

That texture pack makes Minecraft look like Dear Esther to me.

I shouldn't be on the internet while half asleep. I believe I misunderstood some of this. Ignore this comment.

CardinalPiggles:
Wow! I can honestly say I'm astonished by how many people still use SDTV's, I mean you could pick up a HDTV for only about 80 now right? Maybe less if you get it used.

When money is bad and your nice, large, SDTV works perfectly I can't see why. Wouldn't a nice bigger hard drive be more worth the money? Or food? Bills? Another video game? Frankly, the SDTV has served me and many other just find I can't say I give a fuck about the idea of upping the quality a bit.

Yeah... this happened to me. Sucked really. I personally could care less if it makes some text near unreadable, I never read the text in the game in the first place. I'd rather they give me the option of playing it and having it look bad instead of forcing me not to play the way I want.

.No.:

draythefingerless:

Problem?
That's not even close to being as HD as it gets. There's 2048x2048 somewhere, but I can't be arsed to find it.

Its funny cause youre telling a veteran alpha minecraft player with extensive mod history about this. :). Yes i know these, and you missed the point of what i said. Or youre just making a joke yourself. Btw, even with the mod, i wouldnt call the game HD...

DVS BSTrD:

My mind has been blown.

Good of microsoft to give refunds though. Now there is something I thought I'd never say.

MagmaMan:

CardinalPiggles:

When money is bad and your nice, large, SDTV works perfectly I can't see why. Wouldn't a nice bigger hard drive be more worth the money? Or food? Bills? Another video game? Frankly, the SDTV has served me and many other just find I can't say I give a fuck about the idea of upping the quality a bit.

A bit? A bit? The difference is amazing

I get that money is an issue for some people, but seriously, if you can afford to buy a PC/console plus games plus internet connection then it shouldn't be that hard to get a HDTV. And seeing as they do tend to last a good few years, as opposed to games, it sounds like a good investment (in terms of useless crap) to me.

And by the way, I never said there is no reason for anyone to still be using an SDTV, I just said the number of people who did baffled me a bit.

CardinalPiggles:

MagmaMan:

CardinalPiggles:

I get that money is an issue for some people, but seriously, if you can afford to buy a PC/console plus games plus internet connection then it shouldn't be that hard to get a HDTV. And seeing as they do tend to last a good few years, as opposed to games, it sounds like a good investment (in terms of useless crap) to me.

And by the way, I never said there is no reason for anyone to still be using an SDTV, I just said the number of people who did baffled me a bit.

Hmm... how bad was your SDTV? Because mine is quite nice and I can even read the text in games such as Mass Effect 2 without too much problem. Same with Homefront. In fact the only game I still can not read some of the text no matter how hard I try is an indie game called CastleMiner Z, that thanks to Minecraft and it's tendency to corrupt saves I've spent months on, I don't play anymore. I've seen HDTVs and can't say I was impressed enough to want to fork over the money.

Here's A crazy thought maybe people cant afford a HD TV.

I actually just recently got my HDTV. Before that I had a 20 inch SD box television. I did not have the money to upgrade. And frankly, I didn't really want to. I had better things to spend my money on. Only reason I have one now is because my neighbor's broke and they gave it to me and just bought a new one. I popped it open and fixed it up. All that was wrong was a broken transistor. If not for that I would still have that 20 inch SDTV.

DVS BSTrD:

Only playing it in splitscreen requires HD.

On top of this, all my older consoles look better on SD tv. So there's no getting rid of it. In fact, I'm worried about when TVs don't have the AV jacks anymore. It's already starting.

And finally MS does something correct about their refund policy. Glad to see that they're reasonable.

CardinalPiggles:

There are still quite a few people living at home, and it's still quite common to see game systems hooked up to spare TVs in the house and not the main screen in the living room. Kids often get the shaft because they realize an HDTV would help, but they can't convince their parents to get one for their gameing TV.

This kinda response to the community was just the little thing that made me decide to purchase this game (again) for the 360.

It's nice to see the company that everyone hates doing the right thing.

I want to reward this company with my money now.

CHEERS!!!!

MagmaMan:

CardinalPiggles:

MagmaMan:

Hmm... how bad was your SDTV? Because mine is quite nice and I can even read the text in games such as Mass Effect 2 without too much problem. Same with Homefront. In fact the only game I still can not read some of the text no matter how hard I try is an indie game called CastleMiner Z, that thanks to Minecraft and it's tendency to corrupt saves I've spent months on, I don't play anymore. I've seen HDTVs and can't say I was impressed enough to want to fork over the money.

Here's the thing. I'd assume most of these people are in my shoes:

I have a 32in. SDTV that works perfectly fine. Then I got my PS3 and discovered I can't read chiz because everything has a glare, aka, I need an HDTV. Yeah, I have the money to buy at least a modest HDTV. But...my other TV still works fine and all. I don't NEED another TV, so it's not like I can just put the old TV in my room or whatever. And I'm not a big fan of reselling my stuff, especially when I still have some use for it.

However, because of this whole "Durr, PS3 and 360 forces you to get a better TV" chiz, I HAVE to get one now because I'm just tired of guessing what my game is trying to tell me.
Mind you, other than that problem, the SDTV is just fine, especially when...you know, I'm watching TV.
And I don't really care for jaw-dropping graphics. I mean, I like them but it's not like I'm not gonna play games on a TV that doesn't make it look as if I'm next to Mr. Shepherd or Ms. Lightning as opposed to sitting in my living room playing a game.

Just some thoughts.

EDIT: Needless to say, this announcement is for me. I'll look into it.

CardinalPiggles:

Maybe at your place.
The cheapest HD Tv model that I could find in my city was ~500$ (new). There are cheaper, but they aren't HD. Just an LCD TV which they try to sell to unknowing costumer.

Some people would rather save up to buy a game, than save up 10 times more and have a TV at their place which they won't be using since they can't buy games.
Some people have to pick between several things and pick the one they like the most.

OT: Minecraft was advertised to have split screen support, jet they didn't say you need a HDTV. I think it's only fair that they give refund since that was the only reason (IMHO) someone would have to buy MC on the xbox instead of the PC version.

draythefingerless:

.No.:

draythefingerless:

Problem?

Its funny cause youre telling a veteran alpha minecraft player with extensive mod history about this. :). Yes i know these, and you missed the point of what i said. Or youre just making a joke yourself. Btw, even with the mod, i wouldnt call the game HD...

It was purely a joke. As far as I know, HD texture packs are fairly known about. They're the the closest thing Minecraft can be to HD.

My reasoning: Why should I buy an HD TV when my old SD TV works fine, and probably will for years? So it stays. And honestly, when it fails if I happen to find someone getting rid of an SD TV, I'll take it off their hands for free and keep using that. I don't need HD and don't particularly want it.

How is the Def of your TV stop you from playing split screen?

30% of homes don't have an HDTV? That's a lot of Luddites. :p

Darn us people, not going out and buying a new TV every few years

draythefingerless:

depends, i've seen plenty of hd texture packs and shaders for minecraft that make it look amazing
you can even get wind and rain simulators for foliage now..
moders are amazing sometimes!

.No.:

draythefingerless:

Problem?

Above 256x these texture packs make Minecraft run slower than Witcher 2 with Ubersampling. ;_;

I have to say, as stupid as it is for requiring an HDTV for split-screen, it's jolly nice of the big M to offer full refunds.

I'm confused as to how you go about getting the refund. Can't anyone just call them up and say, "Hey, I bought Minecraft and I don't have an HD tv. Where's my money?"

That does kinda suck for the non-HD crowd. I always found split screen worked better on the old SDTV's but that was probably because it was a lot more common to see 50" SD sets than it is to see HDTV's that large even today.

And to the people talking about the amount of non-HDTVs still in use, beyond the whole "times are bad, food is more important than new TV" argument (which is a perfectly valid reason to forego a luxury item like an HDTV), many people will not replace a TV until it breaks. Even if they do buy a new HDTV, if the old SDTV still works it gets moved down to the basement or somewhere else for the kids to watch TV and play games.

Solstrana91:
Don't have a HD TV at all, was disappointed when I hooked it up to play with my brother and I couldn't read a thing ;_;

EDIT: Im having a brain mess.
How exactly do I go for a refund?
Is it over my xbox, or can I do it online?
If so, how?
Cant find a specific link to message anyone, or any premade Microsoft link.

I think that you have to contact customer support and tell them that you bought it, have an SD TV and that you can't play split-screen.

I haven't even seen an SD TV in 3 years.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here