DC Says One Of Its"Iconic" Heroes Is Gay

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Therumancer:

Treblaine:

Therumancer:
snip

Heterosexuality and homosexuality are not mutually exclusive, that's what bisexuality is.

You didn't read my post very well. I myself mentioned that before this article I had been reading that the exactly sexuality was not disclosed and it was going to be LGBT, which lead me to saying my initial assumptions were that Wonder Woman was going to be outed as being Bi. I also mentioned Swift as a DC/Wildstorm character who is Bi already.

That said, this article (as other responses have picked up on) is saying that the statement is that an iconic DC character will be Gay, which means interested only in men. This being opposed to Lesbian or Bi-sexuality. Something that would be hard to reconcile with any of the iconic male characters without some ridiculous amounts of retconning, that in some cases could bring the entire continuity into question given some of the motivations in play.

Even if they went "bi" which I was omitting for a reason, as I explained, understand that DC is a universe where we've had numerous situations where villains have literally learned everythibng about a hero (even if they later forgot it) and then kidnapped their true love to leverage them, likewise we've had characters beat overwhelming odds while saying the name of their loved one and so on. If you were to suddenly say any one of these characters was secretly gay and nobody noticed, using their girlfriends as a beard (as the only way to justify it) up until this point, you'd have to question why they would be saying a girls' name for strength, or why some of these villains didn't kidnap their boyfriend, etc...

As I said it's a stunt, a bad idea being used to get attention, it's not something that could be justified with characters this established. DC is also not a company that really has anything to prove on these grounds to begin with, which is one of the reasons why it's such an obvious stunt. Despite my overall opinions, I have frequently referanced "The Authority" as being one of my favorite comic series of all time (along with things like Gen-13 and other Wildstorm titles). We've even had crossovers from Wildstorm into the DC universe, firmly setting it as an alternate dimension that can bleed into DC. They really don't need to do this to say "prove they are as politically correct, and hip, as marvel" since they arguably did it better than Marvel did when they "outed" Northstar many years ago.

That said, if they did want to do the whole bi- thing, I suppose they could reveal that Superman and Batman had an affair between other things, but that wouldn't be quite what they seem to be going for. This could be justified to an extent by "The Midnighter" and "Apolo" being the Wildstorm analogies to Superman and Batman and they are not only gay but married, so they could argue transdimensional inertia showing those tendencies were always there or whatever else. Of course "had a gay fling" isn't the same as wanting to make a gay character to parade around which seems to be the intent.

Personally if I was in charge of DC right now, given the ups and downs with Wildstorm's success, I'd consider bringing some of the more popular characters like The Midnighter into the DC universe more or less permanantly. Granted that wouldn't be iconic, and characters like that who kill wouldn't fit in with the JLC, but it would acheive a similar effect without having to retcon things. Of course then again the retconning is exactly what is going to get the attention and make them the money... so you know... it isn't really about common sense.

Well it's precisely because almost all of the characters have had to at least some small extent expressed heterosexual interests that they mean gay not in the exclusive sense. But that they have always been bisexual but are now discovering their gays side.

Look, these are not terms set in stone, these are all very colloquial. The term "Exclusively homosexual" exists because of how often homosexual is used to describe their interest in the same sex, not necessarily excluding interest in the opposite sex.

Yeah, not ship, it's a stunt. It's a freaking COMIC BOOK! Do you expect a down-to-earth boring story without any drama? Maybe they aren't trying to necessarily "prove" anything, maybe the writer jsut felt like trying something. Did Clint Eastwood need to "prove" anything directing the Biopic "Hoover" that prevented the director of the FBI as a homosexual? No. It happened to be a possible aspect of his life and it made for a good story. Clint Eastwood has nothing to prove, he is just interested in making good movies.

Consider you may be being a TAD to cynical. Really, bisexuality is far more common than exclusive homosexuality, as you will find in sources such as Kinsey's studies into human sexuality.

"Of course "had a gay fling" isn't the same as wanting to make a gay character to parade around which seems to be the intent. "

But what if that isn't their intent. What if they just want to explore the sexual dimension of two males or two females who had up till now only had heterosexual relations. Remember, not everything is a PC conspiracy, sometimes characters are gay because it just makes things more interesting.

To really spoil everybody's day, it's Rogue of the X-men, so she's just going to be getting none of a different kind of action. Neener, neener, neener.

Male? Umm ...

No, I don't actually have an equivalent joke answer for a male DC hero.

Ok, this is stupid for 2 reasons:
1- If DC was really about "pushing the envelope" or "shake things up", they would just slip the fact like it wasn't a big deal and carry on. If it needs an announcement as if it is some big event, it is not revolutionary, its tacky.
2- Chances are, if the character is big enough, the change will not hold. Soon after that, he will forget about it or will turn bisexual.

Grey Day for Elcia:

Z of the Na'vi:

Grey Day for Elcia:
Hey, someone who agrees with me. Yay.

*hug*

Most of what you said I agree with, yeah.

Why is this such a big deal?

I have no clue.

Why does anyone care what gender or sex anyone finds attractive? For all we know, Batman is into fish and Superman likes BBW.

People have this weird thing they do where they assume everyone is straight and act like it's a big deal if they aren't. As if being hetero isn't a sexual preference, but a default. Last I checked, there is no default, because everyone is born with their sexuality already set in their brain.

Reminds me of a Star Trek thing, where some fans asked why there wen't any gay crew members onboard the ship. Reply went something like this:

Who says there wasn't? You assumed everyone was straight because we didn't have anyone prance across the screen shouting "I'm gay?"

I tend to agree with that sentiment, though then again while the absence of evidence is not evidence for absence the huge preponderance of hetero (insofar various aliens can be classified as such) relationships and love interests in Trek does point to that as a bit weird. Heck, the requisite buddy pairing (ie Geordi/Data, Paris/Kim, etc) in DS9 Bashir/Garak was at least for Garak's actor intended to be a homosexual pairing. I know Miles/Bashir is the more predominant one but just goes to show how gregarious Bashir was.

Thos reminds me of Marvel replacing Peter Parker with the new mixed race teenager. It shouldn't be a big deal because it's incidental to a character and diversity is good. Yet at the same time everybody threw a fit because "they were only doing it for the publicity and it wasn't just because." So now we have this weird paradox that comes up every so often where it's bad to have just whites or men or heterosexual people because of a lack of diversity but if you put anything else in instead then it's automatically for the sake of having diversity and not just because. Of course if people simply didn't think of male/white/hetero as a default then it wouldn't happen but whatever.

As for the announcement and unrevealed superhero I really don't care. Mostly because I don't keep up with DC as I'm mostly a Marvel fan but also who reads comics for the romance? Sure I'm sure somebody likes them but most relationships are token and it seems to be far outdone by the whole everybody has super amazing power thing.

Atmos Duality:
I'm honestly not sure how this matters at all.
Does being gay convey special powers or privileges now?

No, but it's a significant character change, obviously. These are stories with characters, of course it matters. If they were making one of the characters Hare Krishna or something it'd be an equally important change.

huser:

Furioso:

medv4380:

Aquaman isn't doing as bad as you think. He's at number 12 and only lost a quarter of his audience since the relaunch. Flash on the other hand has lost over half of his audience since reboot. Aquaman might be C list but the number show that what they've been doing with him lately is working.

If you want to verify the number just look here
http://www.comicsbeat.com/2012/05/09/dc-comics-month-to-month-sales-march-2012/

Really? But Aquaman seems like such a lame character... oh well, no matter who it is the fan outrage will be hilarious

But why? What of the character's history, motivations, etc make him "such a lame character?" I mean Grant Morrison's version was pretty much the epitome of badass.

As far as I can figure, he can be dealt with if the criminals just operate somewhere inland

huser:

Furioso:

medv4380:

Aquaman isn't doing as bad as you think. He's at number 12 and only lost a quarter of his audience since the relaunch. Flash on the other hand has lost over half of his audience since reboot. Aquaman might be C list but the number show that what they've been doing with him lately is working.

If you want to verify the number just look here
http://www.comicsbeat.com/2012/05/09/dc-comics-month-to-month-sales-march-2012/

Really? But Aquaman seems like such a lame character... oh well, no matter who it is the fan outrage will be hilarious

But why? What of the character's history, motivations, etc make him "such a lame character?" I mean Grant Morrison's version was pretty much the epitome of badass.

I think it has to do with how others have portrayed the character. Most people know of Aquaman mostly though things like Family Guy, and Robot Chicken. The audience for those two shows dwarfs what most comic audiences have. This is unfortunate since of all the golden age icons out their he's really a family man. I'd more likely believe that the guy who never commits to a girl is gay, but that would make all of them gay except for a few like Aquaman.

huser:

Revolutionaryloser:

Bara_no_Hime:
Oh good, they're finally going to get back to Wonder Woman being bi-se-

... well shit.

Um.

I'm gonna go with the Flash.

I don't believe for a second that DC has the giant brass balls required to make Batman gay. I mean, I'd LOVE it if they did. Batman/Robin would be so cute! But... I just don't see DC being awesome enough for that.

Dude, Robin is a ladies' man. Batman is clearly gay. The thing is it just fits his character much more that he has it totally closeted up. Making a massive announcement about it sort of defeats the point.

Agreed. At least Dick is. Dude has cut a swathe through the ladies of his gen.

So Dick is straight as an arrow, but what about Damian? Did somebody say wincest?

My guess is that it is Wonder Woman. I recall hearing vague mutterings about her not being straight a few months back and her being gay could be the reason why Trevor's declaration of love made things so awkward for them.

Wonder Woman probably maybe that hawk guy

Vault Citizen:
My guess is that it is Wonder Woman. I recall hearing vague mutterings about her not being straight a few months back and her being gay could be the reason why Trevor's declaration of love made things so awkward for them.

The hero has been confirmed to be Male. Besides Wonder Woman? What would ever give you that idea?

him over there:

Vault Citizen:

The hero has been confirmed to be Male. Besides Wonder Woman? What would ever give you that idea?

I didn't see that, my bad. In regards to the second part of your post I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

sorry posted in wrong place, my bad

Vault Citizen:

him over there:

Vault Citizen:

I didn't see that, my bad. In regards to the second part of your post I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Sorry, I know sarcasm is hard to see through the internet but I thought it was fairly obvious with all the "Lol golden lasso innuendo" some people like to joke about. Like this picture here:

Though that in itself is pretty sarcastic and played for laughs.

My money's on either The Flash or Green Arrow...

him over there:

Vault Citizen:

him over there:

Sorry, I know sarcasm is hard to see through the internet but I thought it was fairly obvious with all the "Lol golden lasso innuendo" some people like to joke about. Like this picture here:

I have trouble recongising sarcasm in real life too and I was hesitant to repsond to the sarcasm in case I wind up looking like an idiot.

Vault Citizen:

him over there:

Vault Citizen:

I have trouble recongising sarcasm in real life too and I was hesitant to repsond to the sarcasm in case I wind up looking like an idiot.

No big deal man, I totally understand where you're coming from. I mean if people use like a different tone of voice or something I might get it but if they just say something straight faced and it relies on some sort of knowledge beforehand it usually goes over my head.

Therumancer:

That said, this article (as other responses have picked up on) is saying that the statement is that an iconic DC character will be Gay, which means interested only in men. This being opposed to Lesbian or Bi-sexuality. Something that would be hard to reconcile with any of the iconic male characters without some ridiculous amounts of retconning, that in some cases could bring the entire continuity into question given some of the motivations in play.

Even if they went "bi" which I was omitting for a reason, as I explained, understand that DC is a universe where we've had numerous situations where villains have literally learned everythibng about a hero (even if they later forgot it) and then kidnapped their true love to leverage them, likewise we've had characters beat overwhelming odds while saying the name of their loved one and so on. If you were to suddenly say any one of these characters was secretly gay and nobody noticed, using their girlfriends as a beard (as the only way to justify it) up until this point, you'd have to question why they would be saying a girls' name for strength, or why some of these villains didn't kidnap their boyfriend, etc...

As I said it's a stunt, a bad idea being used to get attention, it's not something that could be justified with characters this established. DC is also not a company that really has anything to prove on these grounds to begin with, which is one of the reasons why it's such an obvious stunt. Despite my overall opinions, I have frequently referanced "The Authority" as being one of my favorite comic series of all time (along with things like Gen-13 and other Wildstorm titles). We've even had crossovers from Wildstorm into the DC universe, firmly setting it as an alternate dimension that can bleed into DC. They really don't need to do this to say "prove they are as politically correct, and hip, as marvel" since they arguably did it better than Marvel did when they "outed" Northstar many years ago.

That said, if they did want to do the whole bi- thing, I suppose they could reveal that Superman and Batman had an affair between other things, but that wouldn't be quite what they seem to be going for. This could be justified to an extent by "The Midnighter" and "Apolo" being the Wildstorm analogies to Superman and Batman and they are not only gay but married, so they could argue transdimensional inertia showing those tendencies were always there or whatever else. Of course "had a gay fling" isn't the same as wanting to make a gay character to parade around which seems to be the intent.

Personally if I was in charge of DC right now, given the ups and downs with Wildstorm's success, I'd consider bringing some of the more popular characters like The Midnighter into the DC universe more or less permanantly. Granted that wouldn't be iconic, and characters like that who kill wouldn't fit in with the JLC, but it would acheive a similar effect without having to retcon things. Of course then again the retconning is exactly what is going to get the attention and make them the money... so you know... it isn't really about common sense.

Buddy, hate to break this to you, but you have no idea what you are talking about. No, seriously, you've gravely misunderstood a few significant things.

1 - I have to refer to your first two paragraphs now... "Call the whole continuity into question"? "Villains who have learned everything about a hero"?
Do you comprehend the idea of a Relaunch? You know that the New 52 is a COMPLETE reset of the DC universe after the events of Flashpoint?

All that history is now rebooted. They have complete free reign to do whatever they want with DC history, save for the last nine issues of each series that has come out. With what we know of Batman, Superman and Flash in this Universe, they could all be gay but not open about it.

Perhaps you should google "New 52" and just get a clear idea of what the reboot is, because you seem to have misunderstood it from what I can tell.

2 - You think it'd be a good idea to bring Midnighter and Apollo in? Here's a plan: Go back in time one year and tell Paul Cornell that. See, Midnighter and Apollo are in the DC Universe. Stormwatch has been running for nine issues now in the New 52. And for the record, Paul Cornell did a fantastic job of re-introducing the couple's romance in a subtle and classy way (You should give that a read, if you liked the old Authority comics)

3 - What's the problem with making changes to established characters? Especially since right now is the IDEAL time to do it considering how everything is set back to a status quo.
I mean, would you rather batman still wore blue and yellow and Dick ran around in briefs?
Would you rather Superman's powers involved random rainbow fingers? Or would you like to see him torture Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen every week for laughs?
Should Wonder Woman still go everywhere in her flying jet?
Should Green Lantern be crippled by the daunting power of the colour yellow? Or anything made of wood?

Characters change over time. We don't see this with a lot of other media of story-telling, but comics or sort of unique in that they have the same characters written by dozens of writers over several decades. These characters have survived way bigger changes in the past and even come out from it looking better.

In short, ONE character becoming gay during a time period where it doesn't conflict with the character's past is NOT a big deal.

So all in all, you basically claim it's a stunt because if they just wanted gay characters they'd bring in Apollo and Midnighter, or make new ones. Well they've done both of those things. But maybe they'd like to have an Iconic gay character, and a recognizable gay character, and you can't manufacture that.

Also, your logic appears to be that it's a stunt, because they have nothing to prove, thus it's a stunt? If they had nothing to prove then this publicity "stunt" would get them nothing.
Besides, if making the JLA a small bit more diverse is a "stunt", then it's not exactly a bad one. Looking at Bunker, Batwoman (eh, sorta batwoman), Apollo and Midnighter in the New 52, gay characters have been written very cleverly. Plus, if it's a character in one of the flagship books then it will most likely have a very good writer behind it.

You seem to be very poorly informed considering the authoritative tone you assume.

Could be wonder woman, i know they keep refering to men but that could just be there's more male superheroes and it would be too obvious who if they said an iconic heroine was gay.

If Dick Grayson turns out to be gay, no one will be surprised.
Same for Aquaman.

Waaghpowa:
I bet Batman. Him and Robin, Come on guys!

My money is on Icon.

Aquaman is hitched... to a hot woman.

Great, so which franchise are they going to ruin over this retarded over the top "political correctness" excercise?

I'd call Catwoman, maybe Wonder Woman.

I don't really know why, just a hunch :3

I hope that it isn't Martian Manhunter because apart from one time in JLU the guy never seems to date so it would be a waste.

Waaghpowa:
I bet Batman. Him and Robin, Come on guys!

*christian bale voice* what happens in the Batcave stays in the bat cave

Freechoice:

Frontastic:
Didn't Grant Morrison recently say he thinks Batman is probably gay? And if you look at him as a character it makes a lot of sense. Batman being gay really wouldn't bug me, sexuality is really not a big deal. People need to understand that pulling stuff like this doesn't help make sexuality less of a big deal, it makes it a bigger deal.

If it is Bats I just hope they don't make it into his sole character trait. Sexuality is incidental, leave it that way.
Although this would make for some very interesting Joker storylines in the future. Preying on Batman's sexual weakness always makes for Joker's most interesting moments.

Batman's not gay. He's a furry.

He's like 2 steps away from a fursuit.

That doesn't mean he doesn't like himself some sausage every now and again.

OT: Honestly, it'd be hilarious if Deadpool decided to crash the DC party and come out to mock them...

BatmanBatmaBatmanBatmanBatmanBatmanBatman!!!!

I know it's impossible, but c'mon! Gathering boys so he can put 'em in tight shorts? Case closed. :D

So gay is the latest trend? I mean this is what coming up in Marvel Comic

http://www.comicvine.com/news/marvel-announces-landmark-x-men-marriage-spoilers/144737/

Gorilla Gunk:
Come one, we all know it's going to be Aquaman.

I had this exact same thought haha.

I honestly think it's a dumb stunt. Then again reboots are normal for comics so what do I know.

My money's on it being a woman just so DC has a excuse to have 2 busty barely-clothed women making out with each other.

Or they're just going pretend that Batwoman, who's been gay before the reboot, is "iconic".

Edit: Oops, somehow didn't read the part where it was definitely male. Um...I guess Martian Manhunter? He usually not in a relationship anyway so it's not like they're going to be rocking any boats if it's him.

Its fucking batman and you all know it. That's why he runs across rooftops with a young boy in hot pants.

Gorilla Gunk:
Come one, we all know it's going to be Aquaman.

Exactly! So what if he's married? We all know that is just for show people!

Cause down in the deep, you know he likes fishsticks!

Wish they'd just bite the bullet and make Wounder Women a lesbian, I mean her suggested relationship with Batman in JL (cartoon) never really took off and, lets face it, if you can't fall for Batman maybe its time to rethink some things.

My moneys on Aquaman, dudes so camp its funny watching him throw his weight around in JLU. Or maybe the Flash, you know it was all just a show he put on.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here