Chew Your Way Through Tomba! on PSN

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Chew Your Way Through Tomba! on PSN

One the PS1's unsung classics arrives on PSN this summer.

Getting your hands on a copy of Whoopee Camp's excellent swine-chewing sim and platformer, Tomba! (Tombi! if you're European) is currently a bit of a pain in the rear. The lowest priced copy on eBay will set you back $50, while a new copy is selling for a crazy $250. Not only that, but Tomba! was one of the handful of PS1 games that wasn't compatible with the PS2, meaning the game never quite got the following it deserved.

Developed by Mega Man producer and Ghosts 'n Goblins director, Tokuro Fujiwara, Tomba! follows the adventures of the titular pink-haired cave man as he tries to retrieve his grandfather's bracelet from a horde of fascist bracelet-coveting pigs. The game is being released by Monkey Paw games, who also arranged the PSN release of Alundra and the Arc the Lad series. It took the company more than a year to acquire the rights to the title.

"We often have to chase down multiple right holders," said CEO, John Greiner. "In this case, Sony and Whoopee Camp had rights that needed to be negotiated." The deal didn't necessarily include the sequel, however. "Tomba! 2 is a possibility but we need to really sell Tomba! 1 well before we can extend our relationship. It's the first time to work with Fujiwara-san so we're trying to make a good impression. Good sales have a way opening doors a bit wider."

Since, like a lot of gamers, I keep my old consoles, I've never really seen the PSN re-releases of classic PS1 and PS2 games as particularly worthwhile. Nice, yes, but not something I'd consider essential to my gaming habit. Given Tomba!'s unique history, however, I think it may be the most significant classic release to date.

Source: Joystiq

Hell yeah! i still have my original copy, but no PS1. i need to get this when i get a ps3.

I think my original PS1 still works...I'm not sure. It's been years since I've seen the thing, hiding in a box in the garage. Though, having picked up a PS1 at the tail end of it's life, and needing my birthday money for other things, I never really had the extensive library of PS1 titles that I had for the N64. The re-releases on the PSN have actually given me the ability to play a few of the ones I missed.

Maybe I'll check this out. I've never even heard of it until this article. What's it comparable to?

Mother of God...

THEY LISTENED TO HIM!

All hail Jim for influencing the very fabric of the industry!

Calumon: ...So where's Medieval 3? : (

Finally! I've waited so long for this announcement and it's finally come true. This is one of the greatest hidden gems I ever played. I still have an old copy of Tombi, but hopefully this will spread the word of this wonderful title to people who haven't played it yet.

Ladies and gentlemen, my reaction. *cough* YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

That is all.

I've got my original copy of this and a functioning ps2 but I'm glad that others will get the chance to give it a go.

This game was seven shades of awesome :D So looking forward to giving it a replay.

Solid and fun if definitely a game that doesn't quite match up with the praise it often receives. A very worthy buy if you like the genre though, and not just because it's a genre that's not often served these days.

Really excited about this, I remember having the demo and thinking HOW MUCH I WANTED THIS GAME!

Presumably this will work on PSP as well, right?

*Insert Kermit Picture Where He Goes YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY*

"New Copy"? So they're still making this game, for a fifth generation console, and it costs $250?

DVS BSTrD:
"New Copy"? So they're still making this game, for a fifth generation console, and it costs $250?

I think it means its a old game that no-one ever opened hence 'new' I dont think it means there is a a factory somewhere putting out copies of Tomba on PS1

On topic I remember playing this, it had RPG elements right?

Oh my god. I must buy it.

Yes...

Yes...

Yes!

YES!

I fucking love this game, me and my friends often talk about how awesome a PSN release would be, and it's happening! It's actually happening.

I have this, in perfect condition. Bought it new back when it was $75.

I never tested it on my PS2, but it runs perfectly fine on the PS3 (fat and slim).

This game is amazing, and I can't wait to load that up on my PSP.

YES YES YES YES! YES! YES!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED!!! PRAISE RAPTOR JEBUS!!!

You people better buy this. Twice.

Not only that, but Tomba! was one of the handful of PS1 games that wasn't compatible with the PS2...

What are you talking about? I've only ever played Tomba on a PS2, it works fine. So does the sequel.

Regardless, this is an awesome game and it's great more people will have access to it.

I never had the chance to play this and all I can say is YESS YES YES YESsssssssssss. Take all my money!

Nice to hear (looks at mint condition copies of both games) but I think I'll pass.

FINALLY! I remember playing the demos of Tomba! any time I could in stores, but was never able to convince my parents to buy it for me. All the bright colors and silliness that the game had... I would buy a PSN just to play Tomba! like I've been wanting for all this time.

I'm so happy, this brought a single manly tear to my eye.

Yeah, went hunting for a copy of this a while back, and just gave up about 2 minutes later when I saw some guy on ebay trying to sell it for over $250.

Course, it'll only be available on the American PSN though. Sigh. I think I may still have some funds leftover from a while back on my US account...

Holy shit was that an awesome game. Still have my original copy laying around...
Actually, if me head wasn't throbbing like a pulsar, I'd probably binge on the old school awesomeness.

So many good concepts for a platformer...and so few of them actually used in such a manner since.

MrBrightside919:

I assume you mean this (which I believe is from Weezer's Keep Fishin' video) and I heartily agree with your sentiment =D

Andy Shandy:

MrBrightside919:

I assume you mean this (which I believe is from Weezer's Keep Fishin' video) and I heartily agree with your sentiment =D

Nailed it

I remember playing this on a demo disk, i really liked it so now Im glad i will get a chance to play it for real

I'm overflowing with nostalgia-gasms! YES! FOR THE LOVE OF ZUES!

Wonderful news indeed.

Let baconing begin!

DuelLadyS:

Not only that, but Tomba! was one of the handful of PS1 games that wasn't compatible with the PS2...

What are you talking about? I've only ever played Tomba on a PS2, it works fine. So does the sequel.

Wikipedia and my personal experiences seem to disagree with you.

it...is?.......YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!! i was talking about this game with my friends a couple of weeks ago and how much fun it was and how great it would be to see it again....*sniff*...it's so....beautiful....

This game is the best thing ever (if we do not count the racing car sextion)... Replayed it a while ago. God, I adore this game.
I wonder if I could get Medievil on the 360 somehow?

Glad to see they are re-releasing this gem. I played it on an emulator with rom's but it just wasn't the same. Now I wonder if they will re-release Wild9, that was a really fun one.

FUCK. YES. This makes me so happy, I had a damn spasm of joy when I saw this news, I was just looking for this game to see if it was on PSN and now this! Now I just need Klonoa and my childhood has returned!

HOLY FUCKING JESUS H CHRIST ON A DONKEY.

I'm almost weeping with joy.

Also, I'm going to adamantly stand by the fact that this is solely due to my mum's repeated insistent e-mails to Sony demanding they release Tombi! (I'm calling it Tombi. I don't care if you all keep saying Tomba! It's Tombi!).

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here