Guy Ties Up 4-Year-Old So He Can Play Videogames

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Guy Ties Up 4-Year-Old So He Can Play Videogames

One man's dumb decision to tie up a four-year-old girl so he could play games was bound to end in tears.

According to a court affidavit, one Heath Howe, a 27-year-old gentleman from Sarasota, was arrested after he tied up a four-year-old girl with rope and left her in the kitchen while he retired to the living room to play games. Howe's relation to the girl is currently unknown.

The girl told police she didn't think she was being punished because Howe didn't say anything to her while he tied her up. She also claimed it wasn't the first time she'd been tied up, though she couldn't provide any details about any other incidents.

It gets better. The girl's mother returned home from the gym accompanied by a friend called Tiffany, and not only did she not freak out when she found her daughter tied up, but she didn't even bother to free her. It was Tiffany who eventually let the girl loose. According to the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office, the girl had noticeable ligature marks on her arms. Howe has been charged with child abuse and is currently being held in jail.

Source: Sarasota Patch

As retribution i propose...

When I'm a father I fully expect to give up gaming at the rate I do right now. I don't think this guy got the memo that children require constant attention even if he is just a babysitter instead of the father. I hope I never get video game addiction to the point where I'd tie up a child to maintain concentration.

I blame the mother just as much as the father for thinking this is acceptable. That girl needs a new home.

Could have been for her own safety, did they say if he was playing on the Kinect?

I really want a license to have children implemented. Right now.

There are limits to freedom. There are plenty of things are that a privilege and not a right, or a "right one must earn". This, quite appears to be one of them.

I question why Video Games was even mentioned at all. I guess it's another intent to paint video games as evil things that cause people to do bad things, which I really wouldn't expect from The Escapist... Shame.

=y:
When I'm a father I fully expect to give up gaming at the rate I do right now. I don't think this guy got the memo that children require constant attention even if he is just a babysitter instead of the father. I hope I never get video game addiction to the point where I'd tie up a child to maintain concentration.

You, my friend, have more common sense than these people. You can still game, as a parent, you just steer clear of multiplayer games (too time-consuming, no "press escape to pause" option, no saving whenever you want to), and wait until the tyke's asleep.

Seriously, I blame the mother as much as this man (father? new boyfriend? who knows...). I would've completely lost it if I'd returned home to see my son tied up to a chair. This is just so sad.
And the other thing that saddens the gamer within me is that people are going to blame video games again, when they should be blaming these people and how irresponsible they are...

Shouldn't this be a "here's another unintelligent human being who should have been a Darwin Award recipient before procreating" thread rather than a "here's another unintelligent human being who should have been a Darwin Award recipient before procreating...and he plays video games" thread?

Buretsu:
I question why Video Games was even mentioned at all. I guess it's another intent to paint video games as evil things that cause people to do bad things, which I really wouldn't expect from The Escapist... Shame.

Neeeeeeeeeever mind.

You know, I've said those who inherit and carry the Y chromosome are the scourge of the universe...but damn the lack of intelligence from those without the Y chromosome in regards to rutting partners makes it difficult to defend that statement at times.

Buretsu:

Because honesty.

And the story is here in the first place because it has to do with video games.

The man clearly has A. an unhealthy obsession with games, B. absolutely no idea how to treat children, or C. both.

Buretsu:

I don't think this is The Escapist or Carter going "Games Are Evil", and more Carter going "People Can Be Monumentally Stupid".

Which totally works, regardless of video games being involved. For all we know, Heath Howe could have been one hardcore Parcheesi player or have been into Chinese Checkers to such a degree that he needed to tie up a four year-old to maintain his concentration.

Yeah, I'm obviously joking here, but what I'm saying is this isn't an attempt to disparage gaming as a habit. It's more an observation of a very sad case of human stupidity.

lacktheknack:

Because honesty.

And the story is here in the first place because it has to do with video games.

The man clearly has A. an unhealthy obsession with games, B. absolutely no idea how to treat children, or C. both.

I think a little of both based on what the story tells us, but leaning heavily towards B. It seems to be more B to me because of the fact that wife seemed to think nothing of it. Which, in of itself, is awful. Honestly this is just a sad story and I really hope that both the parents recieve some kind of punishement. The father for the obvious reasons, and the mother for allowing it to simply happen.

That said... it could have been worse. While this seems strange, I think it's better at least then flat out beating her. It is awful though. I really hope the girl finds a family that will, ya'know, care about her.

And, of course, this is all second hand information. There may be another side to the story... I'm just not sure how one could twist this to not be as bad.

Fuck this guy for tying up the kid, fuck the mom for not giving a shit, and kudos to Tiffany for using her fucking brain.

Yes, I was a bit profane, but this kind of story pisses me off. Gamers are having enough trouble with politicians and media coverage without jack-offs like this giving them ammo.

CrazyCapnMorgan:
You know, I've said those who inherit and carry the Y chromosome are the scourge of the universe...but damn the lack of intelligence from those without the Y chromosome in regards to rutting partners makes it difficult to defend that statement at times.

Stupidity does not discriminate, it would seem!

Eleima:

=y:

You, my friend, have more common sense than these people. You can still game, as a parent, you just steer clear of multiplayer games (too time-consuming, no "press escape to pause" option, no saving whenever you want to), and wait until the tyke's asleep.

And not even. If I was a parent and I was playing, I don't know, Blops in multiplayer and my kid started crying because he's hungry/scared/hit himself/whatever, I would still end up giving up on the game to take care of my kid. Multiplayer matches are endless. I can just quit this one, take care of the kid and go back to it.

Well, that's just me. I've done that before; someone walks in and starts talking about something important. To my annoyance, I have to admit their topic is a bit more relevant than the game at the time, so I either pause it and watch as I become a sitting duck or leave the match. And believe me, I love me some Gotham City Impostors multiplayer. But there are priorities.

PS: I love that "bad idea" seal of approval. I can see it as a car sticker or a pin or something.

The fact that this was not the first time the child had been tied up is all that needs said about this case. Some people just need rendered infertile for the sake of social progress. This guy is one of them. Might I suggest using a spoon to remove the offending members?

CrazyCapnMorgan:

You know, I found this hilarious as hell, and I'm not quite sure why...

I want to think of this fellow as an oddball. But having read through a ton of threads on this site relating to kids, I can't say I don't think a number of people would do the same thing.

-Not wanting kids: Fine. I'm even with you on that one (though I have a nephew I love and am trying to indoctrinate in a few ways: HE MUST LOVE THE YANKEES)

-Hating kids: Errr. That's strong. Too strong.

-Wanting to abuse a kid in any way every time he/she makes a noise: Go to jail and stay there, asshole.

I know i should be enraged at this, but all i am is incredibly confused: Why did he do this? What part of the brain made him think it was a good idea to do this? Why didn't the mother try and free her kid?
All i have are questions! I think my rage is in here somewhere, but I just find myself trying to discover why the hell this even happened to begin with.

That said, if someone could find an appropriate image to reflect confusion and rage on my behalf i would be incredibly grateful.

What. The. Frell?!

This isn't the first time the kid was tied up, and nobody did anything about it until now? Or was something done before, but brushed off as some kind of BDSM thing?

I don't know about you guys, but four years old seems a little early for that kind of stuff.

Or maybe I'm just old fashioned...

Sarah Frazier:
Or was something done before, but brushed off as some kind of BDSM thing?

Yeah, it was just your typical BDSM thing with a 4 year old girl.

Totally happens all the time and doesn't even draw any second looks. You're so old fashioned, seriously, everybody these days is doing it!

.... Sigh.

Beautiful End:
And not even. If I was a parent and I was playing, I don't know, Blops in multiplayer and my kid started crying because he's hungry/scared/hit himself/whatever, I would still end up giving up on the game to take care of my kid. Multiplayer matches are endless. I can just quit this one, take care of the kid and go back to it.
Well, that's just me. I've done that before; someone walks in and starts talking about something important. To my annoyance, I have to admit their topic is a bit more relevant than the game at the time, so I either pause it and watch as I become a sitting duck or leave the match. And believe me, I love me some Gotham City Impostors multiplayer. But there are priorities.
PS: I love that "bad idea" seal of approval. I can see it as a car sticker or a pin or something.

Well, of course, you just quit a match; I was thinking more of raids and the like. I just gave up on MMOs with raids and long quests, because it's just not do-able. I agree wholeheartedly with you, though, there are priorities, and to any sane person's mind, a child's life (especially your own's) will trump any game, any day, any time, no question.

I like how the title ties the story to video-games....even though the mother wasn't playing them but didn't have an issue with the girl being tied up.

I would much rather the headline "Mother returned from gym to find daughter tied up, and does nothing". We are no longer painted as the evil ones. Also I have a daughter and when I am playing games I don't care what part I am at if she needs me the game gets paused or I miss the cut scene. Its simple when you choose to have a child you choose to put them first. Pardon my rant.

LilithSlave:

Sarah Frazier:

Totally happens all the time and doesn't even draw any second looks. You're so old fashioned, seriously, everybody these days is doing it!

.... Sigh.

It always amazes me how many people on the escapist lack a sense of humor.

FelixG:

LilithSlave:

Sarah Frazier:

.... Sigh.

I stopped being amazed by that ages ago, which I find a complete shame to be honest.

Shawn Roberts:
I would much rather the headline "Mother returned from gym to find daughter tied up, and does nothing".

Well, sadly stuff like that - and much much worse - happens all the time all over the world. That the father's (for lack of a better word, let's call it) video game addiction seems to be at least part of the problem is the reason this particular story ended up on the Escapist.

Also, while certain "mainstream" media tend to twist each and every story into a thing about how unhealthy being a gamer is, I sometimes can see where that comes from. Video games sometimes have an addictive quality. It's quite easy to get a feeling of accomplishment with minimal effort, long-lasting distraction... who of us can honestly say that he hasn't ever used a video game to avoid dealing with stuff, at least for an evening or so?

The point here is that the guy obviously had issues that led to him neglecting and abusing that girl and play videogames in the next room. It's true that it could've been alcohol abuse or any number of other things, but in this case, it was playing video games.

There really are people who can't handle the things that make gaming such a great hobby for you and me.

Somehow I think this will have more of a negative impact on the BDSM community than the gaming one...well, maybe 50-50. Also kind of disturbed about the 4-year-old being tied up before and, the mother not bothering to untie her...are we talking about Darla Crane here?

I'm not even "old", but I know that when I was a kid this wouldn't be labeled "child abuse" and send a person to jail.

Really? It's seems like everything is "jail-time warranting child abuse" today. In one side of the Escapist, people say that murderers and rapist pedophiles shouldn't get the death penalty, but you can remove someone's genitalia because of this incident.

I think that a few years ago this would involve a psychiatric evaluation, the mother and the child would be living separate from the father for a while until there is any conclusive evidence.

Anyone who replies to me saying that I endorse what he did - imagine just I kicked you in the teeth for saying such a thing.

LilithSlave:

.... Sigh.

I can't even think of a reaction image suitable for that post. Wow.

Grey Carter:
Guy Ties Up 4-Year-Old So He Can Play Video Games

One man's dumb decision to tie up a four-year-old girl so he could play games was bound to end in tears.

According to a court affidavit, one Heath Howe, a 27-year-old gentleman from Sarasota was arrested after he tied up a four-year-old girl with rope and left her in the kitchen while he retired to the living room to play games. Howe's relation to the girl is currently unknown.

The girl told police she didn't think she was being punished because Howe didn't say anything to her while he tied her up. She also claimed it wasn't the first time she'd been tied up, though she couldn't provide any details about any other incidents.

It gets better. The girl's mother returned home from the gym, accompanied by a friend called Tiffany, and not only did she not freak out when she found her daughter tied up, but she didn't even bother to free her. It was Tiffany who eventually let the girl loose. According to the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office, the girl had noticeable ligature marks on her arms. Howe has been charged with child abuse and is currently being held in jail.

Source: Sarasota Patch

Do you not understand how to report on suspected crimes and suspected criminals, Grey? Here's a tip: innocent until proven otherwise in a court of law. It doesn't matter what someone tells you they said, what the cops think, how many times they've been arrested or even what they themselves have supposedly stated. Until their trial is complete, they are assumed to be as innocent as you or I. Period. You use phrases and words to imply their guilt based on what? What you've heard they said? That they've been arrested? Because that's always the truth and police are judges now?

Every single report you attempt is filled with trial by media conjecture and a painful readiness to swallow the words of others as fact.

ElPatron:

LilithSlave:

.... Sigh.

I can't even think of a reaction image suitable for that post. Wow.

How about WHOOOOOSH!!! - Didn't you detect the note of sarcasm?, or the .....Sigh. at the end. Clearly the poster was being sarcastic at someones BDSM comment.

FelixG:

LilithSlave:

Sarah Frazier:

.... Sigh.

Humor? From LILITH?
pfffttaahahahahhahhhahaaaa
Don't you know the internet is the most serious place where all serious discussions must always go to?

Buretsu:

Because if there was no vidya, it had no reason to be posted here. This IS a gaming website, after all.

Grey Day for Elcia:

Every single report you attempt is filled with trial by media conjecture and a painful readiness to swallow the words of others as fact.

Man, Grey Carter screws up so much it's just not fun anymore.

surg3n:
How about WHOOOOOSH!!! - Didn't you detect the note of sarcasm?, or the .....Sigh. at the end. Clearly the poster was being sarcastic at someones BDSM comment.

My post
Your head.

I don't care if you are just itching to jump at someone not getting sarcasm, but I did get her post, and I did get the post she was replying to.

She didn't. You are doing exactly what I was doing to her post.

Seems legit.

edit:
Capcha: good job

Even the capcha agrees.

LilithSlave:
I really want a license to have children implemented. Right now.

There are limits to freedom. There are plenty of things are that a privilege and not a right, or a "right one must earn". This, quite appears to be one of them.

I've said similar things before, and typically get a ton of flak for it. Of course then again with me it's an actual belief coming from a lot of incidents like this, as well as a personal belief in population reduction (ie limiting who can have kids would not only prevent this kind of thing but lead to less kids, and eventually less people, which I personally believe would help improve society. All of which is highly debatable but I won't go into it here).

That said, barring any kind of radical situation like that, I think the law needs to be much harsher as a deterrant, especially in holding parents responsible. In this case I'm kind of scandalized by the mother's conduct, and she doesn't appear to be in jail, when she should probably be there right alongside Howe. If that story is accurate the lack of reaction is even more disturbing than the guy tying the kid up to play video games.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here