Mounted Combat Comes to Skyrim

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Mounted Combat Comes to Skyrim

It's time for the Dovahkiin to saddle up and crack some skulls!

I've never had much use for horses in Skyrim. They get you from point A to point B marginally faster than running, but then you have to find a parking spot, and then you have to remember where you parked after spending 20 minutes running around killing everything within a half-mile radius, and odds are that by the time you get back, the stupid thing's already being eaten by a frost troll anyway. Who needs that kind of aggravation?

But soon those equine punching bags will have a little more utility, thanks to the Skyrim 1.6 patch, which fixes a pile of bugs and also adds mounted combat to the game. And unlike a certain other infamous horse upgrade - yes, I'm still tapping that vein - this one will be free.

The mounted combat add-on is another product of the Skyrim Game Jam, an internal Bethesda event in which everyone on the development team was given a week to create whatever sort of Skyrim mod their hearts desired. Todd Howard said in February that he wasn't sure how many of those Game Jam creations would actually make it out the door, but the new kill camera and recently-added Kinect support for the Xbox 360 version of the game spring from the same well, so maybe we'll get to see even more in the future.

The Skyrim 1.6 update is available now to PC users who opt in to the latest Steam Beta Update, while release information for other platforms will be announced when it's ready. And, since this is actually a patch, plenty of bug fixes and optimizations are included as well, although at this late stage most of them are fairly obscure. The full list of fixes can be found at the Bethesda Blog.

Finally....

the lack of mounted combat was a bit of an immersion killer

Still no word on an official "No-Spiders" mod?

*sigh* Oh Bethesda the only thing I want out of your game.

OT: Well mounted combat should be fun so long as it works well.

Finally! Now I won't have to worry about Frost getting in the way of my shouts. I mean come on! I'm the dragon born fool, you shod-a seen that coming!

now, cue the youtube videos of people trying to do mounted combat and accidentally killing their horse.

"About fucking time" will probably represent most of the views on this subject....

Does it include archery and spellplay?

How many of you expect this added feature to be bug-free and requires no outside help (read:user created mods) to work properly?

Well if there's gonna be bugs, let's at least hope it's hilarious.

Like those backward flying dragons.

Honestly...

I'd rather see some of the big bug/glitches get fixed. It's all fine and dandy to have mounted combat, but I have the feeling its going to be ugly as sin to handle with anything but bows.
And if I'm using a bow, I'd rather be sneaking about.

Also, a fix for the entire city of Markarth would be grand... I've got jacked out of more than a few quests (including the House of Horrors Daedric quest) simply because of the Sanguine Rose quest line, and it surprises me that Testing ever managed to avoid that.

Raven's Nest:
"About fucking time" will probably represent most of the views on this subject....

Says ranged combat too on the blog. Would be odd if it didn't cater for Mages as well.

Eh, mounted combat seems horrendously overpowered . . . unless they are added speedy or mounted enemies, in which case horses will practically be a requirement . . . unless spears/polearms are added to the game.

These balancing issues likely continue until you give a mouse a cookie. ;)

Awesome, I can tell this is gonna make horses really fun! I always found they were pretty pointless. Not even enjoyable.

Won't they need to introduce some freaking lances? What's the point of being mounted if you're not able to take the same advantage of it that people took for thousands of years?

Alright Beth now give me the one weapon I been wanting sense I heard Dragons for skyrim

MOTHER FUCKING SPEARS BABY
I want them so much they are the truest of dragon slayer weapons

Wow, nice! Hope it's good, that's one of the major flaws with travelling in the game. Currently, it's actually slower than running because this isn't a part of it.

Agent Larkin:

I'm sure you could make or look/ask for a mod that turns spiders into something else. Someone already replaced them with Spidermen, so it's a fair bet you can remove them/turn them into something else quite easily as well, it's just a model change. Btw, arachnophobia?

OT: Awesome, good to hear, they've been talking about this since the development of Oblivion. Let's hope it doesn't suck (or that if it does, mods will take care of it soon enough). Also, I wonder what works for mounted combat. Is it just melee weapons? Bows too? Or the whole shebang where everything, including magic goes? Hope everything works, personally, I'd love to be able to ride and pick shit off with a bow and arrow, but my next character is set to be a wizard, so hopefully they won't restrict it to just weapons.

edit: captcha asked me to describe some brand crap I never heard off. Apparently, "fuck off" did the trick. Huh.

Hungry Donner:
Eh, mounted combat seems horrendously overpowered . . . unless they are added speedy or mounted enemies, in which case horses will practically be a requirement . . . unless spears/polearms are added to the game.

Balance isn't an issue in non-competitive games. What you mean is difficulty. If you want more of a challenge, don't abuse glitches and/or try handicapping yourself. The game is tailored to a lower level of entry and the ability to ramp up the difficulty in a satisfying way is actually a lot harder to do when the established system is not intended to challenge.

When people abuse refundable trainers in the game or max out enchantment and smithing, and wonder why the game is so piss easy, its their own fault. The game makes it possible to overpower, because some people like to be overpowered.

The game is never going to be (or even meant to be) a challenge. The series has always been like this, but with a little initiative and imagination, you can tailor the games difficulty...

This is literally a case of having a cake and wanting to eat it too. You can't have access to everything in the game, but still be challenged by it... it's just not possible without creating an entire different structure to the game for higher difficulties.

Vrach:

Agent Larkin:

I'm sure you could make or look/ask for a mod that turns spiders into something else. Someone already replaced them with Spidermen, so it's a fair bet you can remove them/turn them into something else quite easily as well, it's just a model change. Btw, arachnophobia?

Yes Arachnaphobic. Quite badly. I have seen the mods for removing them but I would prefer an actual bethesda backed Arachnaphobic friendly mod.

That's great to hear! It'd be nice if companions could ride horses, instead of just jogging along behind you, but at least this is something.

Whoever did the mounted combat mod is clearly a true hero.

I am really pleased with the way they update this game, a few bug fixes sure, but then they add a neat little feature that'll get me back into the game for a few hours.

I bet the guy creating the mounted combat mod is a bit peeved.

I'm glad it's finally going to be in the game. I haven't touched Skyrim in a while now.

I'll just quote myself from another thread on this.

Yeah, my friend was on the beta last night, she took a couple of screenshots and well...

Acrobatics increased to 100.

smearyllama:
That's great to hear! It'd be nice if companions could ride horses, instead of just jogging along behind you, but at least this is something.

If you play on PC there's a mod that lets companions ride horses.

So I opted into the beta... its actually kind of fun.

I totally went into a giant camp and had some fun running circles around giants and mammoths.

However...you cant shout from horseback, cast spells, the horse takes an entire HOLD to turn around it seems, and the arrow does not fire where you aim most of the time.

Hopefully they upgrade it because honestly...its like a tiny step ahead when they heed to take another five at least here.

You need an option to turn your horse in place (I own horses they can do that), 1st person capabilities, foes on horseback, and spells/shouts from horseback to really work.

Its a real cool feature, but in all honesty....its a bit lacking really, and needs some work.
Plus they need to fix horse archery, because its kind of tricky to fire at something and move at the same time. I would prefer having an auto run feature that let me look while the horse moved by itself.

But at least I dont have to get off a horse EVERY time a fight starts.
An A for premise
C for execution.

Oh hell yes! This is awesome, much needed feature!

Well, moving over the awkward terrain of Skyrim is hard enough on a horse without also being in the middle of combat. I'm not sure this feature will be as awesome as it sounds in practice, but heres hoping!

Apparently some NEW Dawngaurd stuff was added in the newest patch

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1376113-dawnguard-and-future-dlc-discussion-thread-30/page__st__60__p__20824846#entry20824846

Animations of crossbows now moved to folder DLC01.
Mounted combat with crossbows.
At least one type of crossbows will be unique with unique animation - Dwarven.
Child Crying.
New dialogue gestures:
Defensive Hand;
Hand on Chin;
Welcome Hand.
Coffin Puzzle.
Reading of the Elder Scroll.
Animation from the trailer of Dawnguard.
Scraping tree bark.
Transformation in a Vampire Lord!
Vampire Lord's kill moves.
"Serana holds Vyrthur". Of course Serana and Vyrthur are in-game NPC's (or something like that), but I have not found any mentions of these names in TES Lore.
Snow Elf Prince ascension burning.
Pour water in a way shrine.
Scooping water in a way shrine.

Also, here is the full list of the DLC entries:

tmande2nd:

Its a real cool feature, but in all honesty....its a bit lacking really, and needs some work.
Plus they need to fix horse archery, because its kind of tricky to fire at something and move at the same time.

While I didn't play the beta, it would seem fair that firing from horse back is inaccurate. You could just run away every time enemies got close and pick them off from far away otherwise.

Also, you try firing a bow while riding a horse, it'll be almost impossible to get a shot off due to the horse shaking while moving and the multitasking of controlling the horse and firing the bow. Even a skilled horse archer would find it difficult to make an accurate shot from a long distance.

My life is now 110% more bearable. I can pretend that Skyrim is Mount and Blade.

Agent Larkin:

Yes Arachnaphobic. Quite badly. I have seen the mods for removing them but I would prefer an actual bethesda backed Arachnaphobic friendly mod.

I went through the whole game being cautious of large areas with webs in them, hoping to avoid that giant spider that was in all the posters before the game was released, only to find in the end that it does not actually exist.

Terratina.:
My life is now 110% more bearable. I can pretend that Skyrim is Mount and Blade.

Meh, without spears it won't be. I hope they take a leaf out of M&B's book when it comes to mounted combat and at least make it practical.

Hungry Donner:

What balancing? Skyrim isn't a multiplayer game and it doesnt take much to be nigh invulnerable.

HobbesMkii:
Won't they need to introduce some freaking lances? What's the point of being mounted if you're not able to take the same advantage of it that people took for thousands of years?

Horseback makes for a pretty damn good sword fighting platform, especially if the footmen have a hard time getting at you on your huge mammal.

Raven's Nest:

spellplay?! Don't be ridiculous man! Everyone knows that making your fire pew pew at someone with one hand and controlling the rails in the other is impossible!
Unlike swinging a giant two-handed sword with one hand while moving the horse around with the other, which is totally fine!

Terratina.:

Without the RTS elements though...

OT: Well, so long as it works, consider me interested.

Hungry Donner:

Balancing issues? Me and my modded 85 million damage fire spell are offended good sir!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here