Kingdoms of Amalur 2 Was In Pre-Production

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Kingdoms of Amalur 2 Was In Pre-Production

EA wouldn't fund a sequel to Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

But Big Huge Games began work on it anyway.

Or so several sources have told Joystiq. 38 Studios was in advanced talks with a publisher - EA apparently passed on the project - when the developer began to implode.

"We had a good base to work from, and it was going to be all about improving everything," said an anonymous source. "We listened carefully to fans and critics and were going to implement everything we possibly could."

While there's still a remote chance that 38 Studios and Big Huge Games can be pulled from the fire, it seems unlikely that Amalur 2 or the MMO-spinoff, Project Copernicus, will ever be released. While 38 Studios currently owns the IP, tech and code for Kingdoms of Amalur, it's only a few missed payments from having to surrender those assets to its main creditor. Namely, the State of Rhode Island.

What's to stop another company from picking up the assets from the state? Well according to sources "close to the discussion," the state's asking price is simply too high, though they didn't release a solid number. Market analyst, Michael Pachter, theorizes that the Amalur IP is worth around $20 million at most. That's less than half the amount 38 Studios owes the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation.

The fact that there was a sequel to Reckoning already in per-production doesn't surprise me. Though Rhode Island Governor, Lincoln Chafee, labeled the title a "failure," it really sold incredibly well for a new IP. Despite being linked to 38 Studios' debt and downfall, the project was actually produced using EA's money. The $50 million 38 Studios borrowed, was actually spent on the Project Copernicus project. In the end, the only thing Reckoning failed to do was earn enough to recoup the costs of an MMO that began development in 2006.

Source: Joystiq

I wonder is someone gonna step in and take this project and its debts over. It would suck to see all the work and money put into it over the years trashed.

This is so sad, I really wanted this IP to go somewhere, it was looking really interesting.

I smell a kickstarter to get this off the ground

huh?....I thourght they were just going to do the MMO

Rainboq:
This is so sad, I really wanted this IP to go somewhere, it was looking really interesting.

Ditto. I was hoping they'd get the chance to (as they claim they were doing) take the feedback they'd gotten and polish their IP. I hope they still do, somehow.

Never played the first one. Heard it was pretty good. Kinda sucks this'll most likely never get anywhere. Although maybe with kickstarter.

it'd suck if the ip goes to the state who would sit on it till hell froze over.

I suppose it's a shame the first game was forced to compete with Skyrim..

At least developers will learn something important from this. Don't fund a project entirely on state money and expect to pay it back later.

Wait, NONE of the money borrowed from rhode island went to reckoning? They blew ALL OF IT on the stupid mmo?

I quit.

They were making an MMO and an Amalur sequel? No wonder they went bankrupt.

tony2077:

The article clearly says that they're in talks to sell it first thing, just that their price is overblown.

HobbesMkii:

tony2077:

The article clearly says that they're in talks to sell it first thing, just that their price is overblown.

i still think the ip is going to sat on till hell freezes over

There was going to be a KoA 2? Wow... That makes me damn sad; I enjoyed KoA and the world wasn't that bad either. It's a bit strange how a mayor says the game is unsuccessful even though it sold 1.2 million copies considering it was both an unknown IP and an unknown studio...

Well, chances are the Mayor doesn't know the video-game industry... Or the people selling it.

wyrmslayer1991:
Wait, NONE of the money borrowed from rhode island went to reckoning? They blew ALL OF IT on the stupid mmo?

I quit.

Yeah, if I remember correctly it was Rhode Island that offered a low interest rate load in exchange that all the money must be spent in Rhode Island (Rent and Employment) or something; KoA was a different studio of the same company.

The game was killed by something that was barely even associated with it.

yeah, i think it's most likely that the state will sell it to try to recoup a small part of the money, given that sitting on it would not do anything for the price, and that they're not going to bother trying to make anything of it in the future

Gather:
There was going to be a KoA 2? Wow... That makes me damn sad; I enjoyed KoA and the world wasn't that bad either. It's a bit strange how a mayor says the game is unsuccessful even though it sold 1.2 million copies considering it was both an unknown IP and an unknown studio...

Well, chances are the Mayor doesn't know the video-game industry... Or the people selling it.

Governor. Not Mayor. Two different levels of state government. Also, his adviser for making that statement was Providence Equity Partners, one of the largest investment firms in the world, with a focus on entertainment and technology. So, yeah, you're right, he's probably not very well versed on videogames, but PEP does know what it's about.

A small group made an overrated, albeit adequate, action adventure game with role playing elements after the planned MMO based off an unknown lore with no fanbase to speak of, failed to take off or even receive funding at all, seeing their way into insurmountable debt and ultimately bankruptcy. They spent so much creating a product that it would have to sell more than one could ever reasonably expect, just to break even.

They were either painfully naive or hilariously overconfident.

The moment I heard they were making an MMO I knew this would happen. MMOs kill companies.

Rainboq:

It's mechanics and gameplay were solid and kind of promising but that's all. The IP was, well, I refer you once more to the video above. Hopefully some developer will be 'inspired' by it and make a more interesting game.

This is why they should not have tried to make an MMO. The IP was interesting but for the most part it was a standerd fantasy game that would have had to compete with things like WoW or GW2. Even if it was made, it would have failed. They definatly should not have tried making at the same time as KoA 2.

It's too bad, I was starting to get into and enjoy KoA and wouldn't have minded seeing a sequel, especially if it wasn't made by EA.

ThePS1Fan:
Never played the first one. Heard it was pretty good. Kinda sucks this'll most likely never get anywhere. Although maybe with kickstarter.

If 38 Studios don't pay back the 50 million they owe they wont own the IP. The biggest kickstarter to date raised just over 2 million. They would need a kickstarter to be 25 times bigger the current record just to avoid being bankrupt let alone produce a new game.

Well, if they hadn't been stupid and NOT try make an MMO that would force them into bankruptcy...Kingdoms of Amulur, never got into it but it's sad to see the IP suffer due to it's stupid studio.

Again I say they engineered their own failure. They blew $50million on an MMO sequel to their brand new IP before anyone even heard about it, let alone cared enough to buy it. Horrible business plan.

albino boo:

ThePS1Fan:

If 38 Studios don't pay back the 50 million they owe they wont own the IP. The biggest kickstarter to date raised just over 2 million. They would need a kickstarter to be 25 times bigger the current record just to avoid being bankrupt let alone produce a new game.

The largest kickstarter raised 10.2 million actually. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-e-paper-watch-for-iphone-and-android/

Yes I know it's not a game but still. Even then i'm Double Fines Kickstarter which started this whole craze raised over 3 million.

Not that I think KoA could raise 10 or 3 million, given the fact that the company has went bust already, I think alot of people would be wary of giving them any more money. If KoA was kickstarted I wouldnt be surprised if it was one of the first major failures.

The game itself was decent enough to the point where I still play it every now and again.

I just wanted to see if they'd let my male Dokkalfar Archmage get with Alyn Shir anytime soon.

Ilikemilkshake:

albino boo:

ThePS1Fan:

The largest kickstarter raised 10.2 million actually. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-e-paper-watch-for-iphone-and-android/

Yes I know it's not a game but still. Even then i'm Double Fines Kickstarter which started this whole craze raised over 3 million.

Not that I think KoA could raise 10 or 3 million, given the fact that the company has went bust already, I think alot of people would be wary of giving them any more money. If KoA was kickstarted I wouldnt be surprised if it was one of the first major failures.

Ah the perils of pre work posting. I meant to to say the biggest game kickstarter was 3 million. I should stop posting before going to work.

I entirely agree that no one in their right mind would give to a kickstarter from a company on the verge of bankruptcy. I do worry that a kickstarter could go up but not everyone would know of the financial state of the company.

somonels:

Rainboq:

It's mechanics and gameplay were solid and kind of promising but that's all. The IP was, well, I refer you once more to the video above. Hopefully some developer will be 'inspired' by it and make a more interesting game.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's bad.

I liked it more than Skyrime. 20 times more and I know a lot of people who would agree with me.
The game isn't your thing and now stop acting like your opinion is The Word of God Notch.

Wait, so they spent a ton on this mostly unoriginal but pretty adequate IP, and were already developing for both a sequel AND an MMO? And they're surprised they ended up in debt and unable to pay it off?

You don't start out your studio by spending tons of money (far more than you should have) on an attempt at a stab into the AAA market with a brand new untested IP at full retail price, then plan on making two more stabs at that market before you've even figured out how much the FIRST game made you. They're going under through no one's fault but their own.

Maybe this will start teaching studios to be more fiscally sound with their game development and stop asking us to pay $60 for their brand new untested IPs....but I doubt it.

albino boo:

Ilikemilkshake:

albino boo:

Ah the perils of pre work posting. I meant to to say the biggest game kickstarter was 3 million. I should stop posting before going to work.

I entirely agree that no one in their right mind would give to a kickstarter from a company on the verge of bankruptcy. I do worry that a kickstarter could go up but not everyone would know of the financial state of the company.

Yeah I assumed you meant 3 million :P

As for kickstarter, I still don't think people fully understand it. I've seen quite a few people who literally think they're paying for a copy of a game rather than donating/investing in the project to get a game made and getting a free copy once it's done.

Some people are going to be really pissed when a game ends up not getting made that they donated money towards.

BiH-Kira:

somonels:

Rainboq:

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's bad.

I liked it more than Skyrime. 20 times more and I know a lot of people who would agree with me.
The game isn't your thing and now stop acting like your opinion is The Word of God Notch.

I refer you once more two the video. nah, the humor is gone.
Me laughing about it does not equate to me saying it's bad, it's me saying I find something about it fairly humorous. Namely someone (you) finding the IP 'interesting.'
I didn't dislike it, I just thought it was pointless and bland with some potential in mechanics.

D: I want Reckoning 2! Someone please save them!

tony2077:

HobbesMkii:

tony2077:

i still think the ip is going to sat on till hell freezes over

But that would be so retarded. The whole point of taking a proprietary interest over an asset in these circumstances is as security for a debt owed: in the event of a default they claim the property so that they can sell it and recoup the unpaid monies. In other words, they will be millions of dollars out of pocket if they decide to just sit on it in order to spite you and other fans.

Now, if they flogged it off to a big publisher (likely EA) because they were unable to sell it for a high price, and the publisher then sat on it "till hell froze over" that would make more sense, since there would be the benefit of having no other publisher using the IP. That happens a lot. The idea that the creditor wouldn't sell the asset is dumb, though. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that it would be the worst thing to do in the state's position, so if anyone were to sit on it it will be the people they sell it to.

Buretsu:
I suppose it's a shame the first game was forced to compete with Skyrim..

and compared to the two, I had more fun with KoA than I did with skyrim.

Sucks though, really liked the class spec system of KoA.

albino boo:

Tim Schafer got just over 3 million, but I see what you saying.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here