Doom 3 BFG Edition Bringing Hell to the PS3

Pages PREV 1 2

thats all nice, but damn, i still have the retail version i bought on the day it came out, i got my self even all old doom games for windows as a retail version, just on the newer systems it somehow had color problems and was therefor unplayable so i got it on steam when it was on special, i dint like the add on of doom 3, quake 4 i got on steam later on because my retail version always asks me for the dvd when i want to play it, even when the damn thing is inside my drive.
and now, we get this. so this means i have to re buy the whole game??? if the price is really good, i might as well.

Useless ressurecting, as always.

JPArbiter:
I hope there is an option to turn the armor flashlight off. the duct tape mod was for pussies

Kapol:
I actually liked the fact you couldn't use a flashlight and a gun at the same time. Though Resurection of Evil's light-pistol wasn't bad. Still, if it's not a horrible price (I'm thinking about $30 would be good) I might pick it up.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
I actually quite liked the fact that you had to use the flashlight and guns separately.

Yeah, in this cynical age, it's easy to point "Oh, do they not have duck-tape in the future?" But from a gameplay perspective, it was a pretty neat idea on using trade-offs. You could either use the light to see where you're going, at the risk of being weak and unprepared if something suddenly appears. Or you could have your guns at the ready, but struggle much more to see if and where any enemies appear.

I thought it was a pretty decent game. Could have been better, sure, but amidst the predictable zombie-scares, there were some legitimately good scares as well. The first time Pinky appeared I nearly shat myself, if only because the developers completely played with my expectations of what was going to happens. And some of the monsters were just deranged to look at...

Anyways, hope the game benefits from a bit of spit-polish.

Kapol:
I actually liked the fact you couldn't use a flashlight and a gun at the same time. Though Resurection of Evil's light-pistol wasn't bad. Still, if it's not a horrible price (I'm thinking about $30 would be good) I might pick it up.

These people feel the same as me, thus validating my opinions.

I actually liked the separate flashlight thing, and was part of the minority who seemed to understand why it was designed like that.

How many times are they going to include Doom and Doom 2? The two games came with the limited edition of Doom 3 and the expansion Resurrection of evil. Not to mention, you can get them off a Xbox Live.

Whatever, I'll get it if it's cheap.

This is utter bullshit. The best part of that game was having to decide when the best time to carry your flashlight or your gun was. Holy shit, there will be absolutely no tension in the game anymore.
Gonna pass, I'll just go play my original PC release of DOOM3 with a texture addon. Fuck this version.

(Yigitta Yigitta)- REALLY?

Um, why? They're releasing an eight year old game- not as a retro offering or a bonus, but as a regular retail offering (albeit with a few new goodies)? I mean, don't get me wrong, it was a pretty visually impressive game for the time, and I wouldn't be surprised to find the graphics (if not necessarily the game play) have held up fairly well, but still...

The only explanation that comes to mind is that Rage left such a bad taste in everyone's mouth that they're hoping for a better stepping stone towards offering Doom 4...

to some extent i do agree, that the flashlight thing in doom 3 was abit over kill, but removing the flashlight all together, and duck taping it to your chest seems to kill the original experience... why not still have the flashlight, but also have the ability to have your pistol out at the same time

These better be free addons on PC or I'm going to throw a brick at somebody's house. John Carmack's probably. Actually, no, I like John Carmack. American McGee, he worked on DOOM.

Fuck you American McGee for no adequate reason!!

thebobmaster:

darksakul:
Can we get the Xbox 360 version canceled.
Because everyone knows Xbox 360 fans aren't people they are cattle.

As an Xbox 360 owner...you better be joking.

As an Xbox 360 owner, he's right.

Moo.

JPArbiter:
I hope there is an option to turn the armor flashlight off. the duct tape mod was for pussies

This!

I loved the fact that you couldn't hold a flashlight AND weapon at the same time. It really added to the overall tension. Creeping around while scanning dark corners in the knowledge that you weren't ready with a weapon should the beam of light reveal something horrible was awesome. Why you would want to remove that aspect of the game is beyond me.

Some_weirdGuy:

JPArbiter:

Kapol:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
I actually quite liked the fact that you had to use the flashlight and guns separately.

Yeah, in this cynical age, it's easy to point "Oh, do they not have duck-tape in the future?" But from a gameplay perspective, it was a pretty neat idea on using trade-offs. You could either use the light to see where you're going, at the risk of being weak and unprepared if something suddenly appears. Or you could have your guns at the ready, but struggle much more to see if and where any enemies appear.

I thought it was a pretty decent game. Could have been better, sure, but amidst the predictable zombie-scares, there were some legitimately good scares as well. The first time Pinky appeared I nearly shat myself, if only because the developers completely played with my expectations of what was going to happens. And some of the monsters were just deranged to look at...

Anyways, hope the game benefits from a bit of spit-polish.

Kapol:

These people feel the same as me, thus validating my opinions.

I actually liked the separate flashlight thing, and was part of the minority who seemed to understand why it was designed like that.

Gah! Ninja'd like 5 times!

Callate:

The only explanation that comes to mind is that Rage left such a bad taste in everyone's mouth that they're hoping for a better stepping stone towards offering Doom 4...

F*ck that, RAGE was awesome, and i was sad to see it did not do as well as i'd hoped.
Loved the vibe, controls and the enemy AI was better than any COD out there.
But alas, the casual gamer decides the market now, and we get COD,COD,COD....

RAGE made me feel positive about DOOM4, still does, and it will be awesome.

As fot this collection: HEELLLLLLYEAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

The thing that interests me most - if they release it on Steam, do I have to buy it again for full price or do I get a lower price if I own the base-game and even less (if not even for free but I doubt that) if I own RoE.

It is possible that I at least get a lower price on Steam if I already own Doom 3 there.
Only issue I see there is that german players might not be able to buy it due RoE which was never released here. Not on the index, just plain no release. Original Doom 1 and 2 are off the index since last year, so THOSE won't be a problem...

asherdeus:
that will see new levels and a myriad of modern features added to the game.

Oh well. At least they picked the bad game to further ruin with the regenerating health and cover bollocks that it never needed. At least they didn't besmirch the stellar bit of history that was Doom 1 and Doom 2. *sigh*

thebobmaster:

darksakul:

Don't worry, I believe they are. Sometimes the best way to look at the arguments in console wars are to blow them into hyperbole and see how silly they are.

EDIT:

Andy of Comix Inc:

As an Xbox 360 owner, he's right.

Moo.

If you CAN turn the flashlight off then you can run around with fists with the flashlight on and it would be essentially the same as the original Doom 3 game. This looks great because I have Doom 3 limited edition for the original Xbox and I do not have my Xbox with me so getting it for the PS3 would be nice plus I can play the original Doom games (I cannot stand the controls on the PC anymore) so I look forward to this.

I am so going to get this unless of course they decide not to release the PC version.

not really a fan of doom 3, i prefered the first two and their expansions.

Xannidel:
plus I can play the original Doom games (I cannot stand the controls on the PC anymore)

There are lots of source ports for the PC version that add vast amounts of modern features and better controls for the original Doom games. Like Skulltag: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UtcMrQxd-Y

thebobmaster:

darksakul:

Yeah you got me, I am trying to be funny

ohhhh shiiiittt!

Doom is probably the only franchise I'm super fanboy for and as a PS3/PC owner this has me so effin giddy even :D

darksakul:

Lol, its funny cuz its (mostly) true

Hmmm wtf does bfg stand for cuz i keep reading " big fucking gun edtion".

Whatever the price is, I will be getting this because I love Doom. Oh how I played the shareware version back on my first PC.

So now I don't need to put my torch away to pull out my gun? That was my biggest hate in the expansion! I loved having to choose whether to take on a with my melee torch, or fight them in sporadic flashes of light from firing my gun! The game is scarier and better with more darkness!

Still, now I can finally replay DooM 3, since I no longer have an X-Box 1, and is emulated terribly on the 360.

Why oh why can they not just include final doom? no deal.

Sweeeet. Think I may have to pick this up, depending on the cost at launch. I recall playing straight through the night on a friend's copy back when it came out. With the expansion and bonus stuff on top, plus not having to deal with that stupid flashlight issue, this should kick ass.

twistedheat15:
Hmmm wtf does bfg stand for cuz i keep reading " big fucking gun edtion".

Probably, what it's supposed to mean in the first place. (or "game"/"gamepack" instead of "gun")

Zeckt:
Why oh why can they not just include final doom?

Because Final Doom was just a huge map pack. How good the actual maps were though is up for debate.

Well, this is going to make my Doom 3: Collectors Edition obsolete. Darn it, it made me feel so special for being one of the few people to own it. :'(

Ok lets get this straight,

Doom3 is shite.

It looks nice,it forced the PC's of the day to die in adulation, but guess what it was a crap game.

It was the game that started the anti-piracy war and why, because people downloaded the game 2 days before release and went MY GOD THIS IS SHITE.

Thats right,shite not ok but shite.

They cancelled their preorders over 200,000 of them and that was caused the anti piracy war.

Maybe if the game had been really really good they would have sold 200,000 copies more and then piracy would have been a good thing but it was the opposite.

The game looks lovely,plays well and even now can tempt a high end machine to have a little palpitation.

But and here is the big BUT, it plays like the original DOOM and that was not acceptable (see Duke Nukem)

So the PS3 is getting a game that is what 6 years old on the PC whoopee do, it tells you how far behind the consoles are.

Remember 48% of all game sales last year were on the PC.

So the gameboy 1-10,000,PSP and its variations, Xbox,Wii,PS3 only sold between them 4 % more games yeah its dying.

I have very, very fond memories of playing Doom 3. Despite what many say, Doom 3 actually did some good things with psychological horror; the devs packed in lots of moments that would rattle you and this was due to the utterly superb lighting and sound design.

I played through the game not all that long ago, and it has aged gracefully. There's a few sections which hold up fairly well against some modern games. The amount of detail etched into every environment is astounding.

This could be the prelude to a Doom 4 announcement (perhaps over E3), so this is good news either way you cut it. I enjoyed Rage and some of the experiments in game design that id tried could be incorporated into the next Doom game. It's a shame that Rage fell beneath expectations (and such expectations they were), but it was still plenty of fun.

Still Life:
I have very, very fond memories of playing Doom 3. Despite what many say, Doom 3 actually did some good things with psychological horror; the devs packed in lots of moments that would rattle you and this was due to the utterly superb lighting and sound design.

I played through the game not all that long ago, and it has aged gracefully. There's a few sections which hold up fairly well against some modern games. The amount of detail etched into every environment is astounding.

This could be the prelude to a Doom 4 announcement (perhaps over E3), so this is good news either way you cut it. I enjoyed Rage and some of the experiments in game design that id tried could be incorporated into the next Doom game. It's a shame that Rage fell beneath expectations (and such expectations they were), but it was still plenty of fun.

I would probably have liked it if it wasn't called Doom and was a lot less repetitive. I couldn't stand Rage either, that was just a mess. Doesn't mean they did everything wrong, though.

Matthew94:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.376840-Bethesda-announces-Doom-3-BFG-Edition-features-reworked-versions-of-Doom-3-AKA-DOOM-4-is-coming#14686360

Too fast for you guys.

I'll say what I said before. I won't get it unless it's cheap and we can buy the new levels separately.

Adorable.

People'll still pay whatever for this. I for one will be picking up the PC version on release day, price be damned, on the sole condition that I can run it at 1680x1050.

Sansha:

Matthew94:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.376840-Bethesda-announces-Doom-3-BFG-Edition-features-reworked-versions-of-Doom-3-AKA-DOOM-4-is-coming#14686360

Too fast for you guys.

I'll say what I said before. I won't get it unless it's cheap and we can buy the new levels separately.

Adorable.

People'll still pay whatever for this. I for one will be picking up the PC version on release day, price be damned, on the sole condition that I can run it at 1680x1050.

Why not just run the normal version at 1680x1050?

People created hi-rez textures and modded the hell out of Doom 3 a long time ago.

Matthew94:

Sansha:

Matthew94:

Too fast for you guys.

Adorable.

The in-game textures don't match the resolution properly, and it's not a natural resolution anyway. You have to mod it to get it that resolution.

Sansha:

Matthew94:

Sansha:

Adorable.

The in-game textures don't match the resolution properly, and it's not a natural resolution anyway. You have to mod it to get it that resolution.

You don't need to mod it, you just type it into the config file.

Textures don't match the res? What does that even mean?

The HUD does stretch unfortunately but seeing as the FOV and res both change it's mostly fine.

darksakul:

And everyone knows PC gamers are elitists with theirs heads up their asses, I can make sweeping and inaccurate generalizations too.

On topic. I played a bit of Doom 3 at a cousin's place and enjoyed it. Might pick this up for the 360 when it drops a bit in price.

[quote="Blatherscythe" post="7.376851.14742808"}
And everyone knows PC gamers are elitists with theirs heads up their asses, I can make sweeping and inaccurate generalizations too.

On topic. I played a bit of Doom 3 at a cousin's place and enjoyed it. Might pick this up for the 360 when it drops a bit in price.[/quote]

Who said I was a PC gamer?

All I said is people why buy a Microsoft designed Foxcomm built console which red rings of death more than 35% of the time (35% failure rate) are a lower breed of life than those Fan Boy PS3 Owners and Nintendo Nuts. Don't get me started on those PC Elitist.

Anyways take whats written on the internet with a grain of salt, anything else a fallacy of logic.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here