Green Lantern is Gay

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Eugh, why'd it have to be a character I had no emotional investment in.

Okay, go on then DC, make me care about him.

I was pulling for Aquaman or Batman. Green Lantern was always up there in my list of likely candidates, but I just thought Aquaman, Batman, or even Flash might have been better. Still, it's DC's game.

So, why are they changing an established heterosexual character into a homosexual one?

There's plenty of room for gay superheroes. There's not room for "changing" existing ones, most especially when they have an established history of, say, a gay son they can't relate to. What's next? Lois catches Superman fucking Jimmy Olsen?

This is like Daniel Craig saying he wanted Bond to do a gay sex scene. It isn't necessary.

I'm certainly not going to agree with OMM here, whose stance is that there shouldn't be any LGBT anything, ever, but this is just pandering.

*sigh* The picture with that article, is so romantic.

I wish hetero love was half that romance really...what a lovely kiss.

RvLeshrac:
established history

You missed the point of the rebooted universe. "History" when dealing with comics and a reboot like DC is known for is to rewrite and change the histories. If you don't change things then why reboot anything.

Guess this means there won't be a Green Lantern 2? Of course you and I know who Alan Scott is but what about the ignorant masses that hate everything that's different and by different, I mean gay....

They should have went all out and made Superman of Earth 2 gay. I guess when they eventually merge both worlds in some major even Crisis style, Gay Supes would be too close to the not gay Supes...

Earth 2...wtf. I thought flashpoint killed all of that nonsense?

RvLeshrac:
There's not room for "changing" existing ones

That made me laugh a little bit. Superhero comics are notorious for rebooting, retconning, and just outright pretending that past stuff never happened. Heck, sexuality is one of the very few aspects of superheroes that doesn't regularly get altered.

MFW it wasn't Wonder Woman.

PS: did they really have to chose the SECOND MOST discredited DC character. I mean at least Aquaman only had the Superfriends to deal with, 50 years for those wounds to heal, but It's been less than a years since... that film.

But maybe they will be rescuing this character who has so much potential.

RvLeshrac:
So, why are they changing an established heterosexual character into a homosexual one? There's plenty of room for gay superheroes.

Indeed. You can tell by the plethora of gay superheroes they already have.

Way to cop out DC. Just slap the tag on someone who hasn't been part of the core lineup in 60 years or so. Classy.

Dang my money was on Martian Manhunter... I mean shoot man it's right there in the name! LoL

RvLeshrac:
What's next? Lois catches Superman fucking Jimmy Olsen?

The genuine cover art for a non-parody in-canon Superman Comic. Oh the innocent times. I am afraid I do not have context.

But seriously, you just made a slippery slope argument, a serious one unlike my joke one. You aren't giving any mechanism for how one can lead to another, only how it is apparently an equal step but to an unacceptable place.

Just because We go from A to B doesn't mean we will go from B to C.

Okay. That works. The Green Lantern Corps is expansive in and of itself, allowing for multiple human mem-I mean...fighters. Anyway, there's easily room in there for a gay character.

Huh, was totally not expecting that, and that's cool, I guess.

I've never liked the Green Lantern so this really does nothing for me to make me care about him more.

Treblaine:

RvLeshrac:

The genuine cover art for a non-parody in-canon Superman Comic. Oh the innocent times. I am afraid I do not have context.

But seriously, you just made a slippery slope argument, a serious one unlike my joke one. You aren't giving any mechanism for how one can lead to another, only how it is apparently an equal step but to an unacceptable place.

Nope. But, in this specific case, you're altering the genetic make-up of a superhero.

If you want a comic analogy, this is akin to removing Cyclops's eye-beams or Wolverine's healing factor.

Sexuality isn't something you can "alter," this is the wrong message.

Diana Kingston-Gabai:

RvLeshrac:
So, why are they changing an established heterosexual character into a homosexual one? There's plenty of room for gay superheroes.

Indeed. You can tell by the plethora of gay superheroes they already have.

The lack of LGBT superheroes is exactly why there's plenty of room for them. You don't walk into a party filled with guys and yell "THIS FEST NEEDS MORE SAUSAGE."

Well, OK, the new Green Lantern might.

RvLeshrac:

Treblaine:

RvLeshrac:

Nope. But, in this specific case, you're altering the genetic make-up of a superhero.

If you want a comic analogy, this is akin to removing Cyclops's eye-beams or Wolverine's healing factor.

Sexuality isn't something you can "alter," this is the wrong message.

You do realise that it's a different character who is taking up the Green Lantern mantle?

This is more akin to Scott Summers dying or retiring and a completely different character adopting the title "Cyclops" who had the same superpowers but also has a preference for macho men.

Sexuality isn't altered.

Kelethor:
huh....thought for sure it was flash.

I knew it wasn't going to be Flash, or Jordan because in the new JL comic books those two argue over who gets to hit on Wonder Woman, so that was a foregone conclusion.

What I want to know, is how are they gonna explain Jade: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade_%28comics%29

If he is not "recently gay" that would imply that he was always out of the closet, so somewhere along the line, either artificial insemination happened, or Thorn ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_and_Thorn ) knowing married a gay man. ( which is weird)

Well, I was half-right (in terms of names), I said it was Green Arrow.

Still, this does feel like kind of a cop-out, since it's not one of their big seven (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern (Hal Jordan), Aquaman, Flash) but this is the kind of thing reboots are supposed to do, re-interpret things and do things differently.

Now that doesn't mean all re-inventions in the relaunch have been good, I mean look at how Starfire's being portrayed post-reboot.

I'm glad that they made it a big (albeit not in the most well-known incarnation) superhero. Also, my favourite general character (Green Lantern, as in not a specific Green Lantern) now has even more diversity in the Corps. Awesome!

Never heard of this Alan Scott guy but otherwise Guy Gardner is clearly the gayest green lantern.

DVS BSTrD:
He's a man who draws power from jewelry, what did you expect?

I laughed sooo hard at this.

Ayjona:

Andy Chalk:
Scott's sexuality will be just one aspect of the character, and it won't define him.

I'm confused. Is this change only acceptable if being gay does not define him?

No, it's just that some people go overboard with making a "gay" character, and so that character only exists to be "gay". He has no personality, no layers, other than just being a "gay guy". They're trying to say that they aren't going to go overboard and make him "A Gay Superhero who's gay, he's super gay, did I mention how gay he is yet?" and instead just make him a "Superhero who also happens to be Gay."

To put it into context they are NOT going to pull a "rawhide kid" on us.

Glad it's not Hal Jordan to undermine the Queen/Jordan friendship.

Glad it's not Kyle Rayner because. Don't know why really.

Glad it's still going to piss off However Many Moms.

Wish it was someone a little more iconic.

Redd the Sock:
Ironic given how pre-reboot he was having issues with his son being out of the closet.

Guess he was just repressed.

OT: insert random "fuck you homophobes" line here.

MorganL4:

Kelethor:
huh....thought for sure it was flash.

I knew it wasn't going to be Flash, or Jordan because in the new JL comic books those two argue over who gets to hit on Wonder Woman, so that was a foregone conclusion.

What I want to know, is how are they gonna explain Jade: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade_%28comics%29

If he is not "recently gay" that would imply that he was always out of the closet, so somewhere along the line, either artificial insemination happened, or Thorn ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_and_Thorn ) knowing married a gay man. ( which is weird)

It's a new timeline so they can do whatever they what to him, even if it means we no longer have one hot green lady, and one broody shadow man. Maybe they'll get new origins (nad parents) if they show up.

Valis88:
*sigh* The picture with that article, is so romantic.

I wish hetero love was half that romance really...what a lovely kiss.

Am I the only one around these parts who thinks that gay romances are most likely pretty much the same as hetero? Not better or worse?

And besides, hetero love has plenty of romance as long as you find a guy/gal that matches you.

Hitchmeister:

DVS BSTrD:

Be fair, there are lots of non-gay Green Lanterns who draw their power from jewelry. It just so happens that this one's weakness is wood...

WAIT... it all makes sense now :P *LOL*

... he's really not an 'iconic superhero.'

Not surprised its the Green Lantern in the slightest. GL is easy to interchange with damn near anyone, regardless of sex, ethnicity, or sexual orientation, as shown here.

DVS BSTrD:

Well, to be fair all superheroes are either spandex-wearing men or super-buff women. I figure you could probably make a gay joke about any of them. But hey, what do you know? Steve Butts called it and was exactly on the dollar, suspiciously so even...

John McGill Conklin:
... he's really not an 'iconic superhero.'

I say he could be iconic as a "Golden Age era, JSA superhero" but definitely not that popular anymore, there's even a big list of other well know and loved Green Lanterns

So what does this mean for his wife, and his kids.

That's the thing about changing the sexuality and/or race of a established character, it creates ripple effects that force the change of other characters. I have no problem with gay characters I just wish they wouldn't change already established characters to add more "diversity". If you need to have a character to be gay create a new character, like Obsidian.

Also look at it from the reverse can you imagine if someone decided to change an established gay character and make them straight?

DVS BSTrD:

Actually Alan Scott doesn't, he carries an actual lantern with a green flame in it. No ring.

Edit: Well damn, my bad. Just did some searching and it turns out he too has a ring now. My apologies.

spectrenihlus:
So what does this mean for his wife, and his kids.

That's the thing about changing the sexuality and/or race of a established character, it creates ripple effects that force the change of other characters. I have no problem with gay characters I just wish they wouldn't change already established characters to add more "diversity". If you need to have a character to be gay create a new character, like Obsidian.

Also look at it from the reverse can you imagine if someone decided to change an established gay character and make them straight?

Well it's a reboot, so he might not have kids anymore. Also there are plenty of grown men (and women) who are married with kids before realizing that they are gay.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here