Injustice: Gods Among Us Shows the Brutal Side of Superheroes

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Injustice: Gods Among Us Shows the Brutal Side of Superheroes

The team behind Mortal Kombat takes on the Justice League.

Comic book fans may finally be able to put to rest that age old question, "Who would win in a fight: Batman or Superman?" with the upcoming Injustice: Gods Among Us, a superhero-themed fighter set in the DC universe.

Being developed by NetherRealm Studios, the team behind Mortal Kombat, Injustice will feature a large cast of DC heroes and villains, including Batman, Superman, Harley Quinn, and others as they punch, kick and/or laser the crap out of each other. Details so far are rather slim, but Warner Bros. promises "epic battles on a massive scale."

"We are creating an all-new franchise with incredible battles set in the DC Comics Universe," stated Martin Tremblay, President of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. "NetherRealm Studios is the extremely talented team behind the latest Mortal Kombat hit and it is developing a game unlike any other in the fighting genre."

Injustice is scheduled to arrive for the Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii U sometime in 2013.

So, Superman will have to fight with a chunk of Kryptonite tid around his neck or what? :p

This means we will finally know who wins in a fight: Batman or Superman

Aw, it's a fighter.

For a few glorious moments I was imagining an interesting story where a bunch of superheroes say "Fuck this" and set about installing themselves as modern god-kings.

Gabanuka:

Wait, people actually debate that?

'Cause my money would be on the one that can move faster than light and push planets around. Seems like a pretty safe bet.

Zhukov:

Gabanuka:

'Cause my money would be on the one that can move faster than light and push planets around. Seems like a pretty safe bet.

One word. Preptime.

Also Sups gave Batman a kryptonite ring just incase he went crazy

Okay, Netherrealm, you've got my attention.

Don't squander it.

So Mortal Kombat 9 but with DC characters? Well I'm buying this.

Gabanuka:

Zhukov:

Gabanuka:

One word. Preptime.

Well, it depends on the writers to be honest. In most cases where they match up those characters Batman wins because he's the obvious seeming underdog... though I've always disputed that because he's a genius and has a very similar set of capabilities to Superman's own arch enemy: Lex Luthor, a man who has won rounds against Supes before (though usually something else intervenes to turn the tables).

If Superman was being written at his full capacity, Batman would have no prayer, Superman despite portrayals in such conflicts is not stupid, and capable of preparing himself. Classicaly he's been building robots and such himself since he was a kid as Superboy, and I'm pretty sure he's used armor and such to avoid Kryptonite in the past. If he prepped and say showed up with a few superbot stand inds of himself (with a similar level of power, but a bit weaker) and a Kryptonian Radiation suit... well there ARE guys who could potentially beat him in DC, but Batman isn't one of them.

Batman with prep can beat Superman, Superman also with prep... well, no.

That's just my opinion though.

That said it looks like an interesting game, fighting games being my second favorite genere after RPGs even if I'm pants at them.

I feel sorry for Aquaman... Him and the Batman villains, because if Batman can beat them (and he has no powers) God knows what Superman could do.

Meh. Not a terrible premise but the actual combat looks like the stiff, uninvolving wannabe fighter content typical of Netherrealms.

Jandau:
So, Superman will have to fight with a chunk of Kryptonite tid around his neck or what? :p

To be fair, in a straight up fight Wonder Woman could probably curbstomp him. Martian Manhunter is also pretty much his equal in powers, along with various other DC characters out there. Supes is not as much the alpha and omega of the DC universe as some people like to think he is. There's his amazingly easily exploited weakness for one thing.

As to the game itself, colour me interested, I used to be real skeptical of anything Ed Boon did, but he and his team really pulled together for MK9 and made that a really enjoyable little game, so even if it's only as good as MK9, I'll be amused.

Also, just for the sake of a total mood whiplash, can we get Brave & The Bold Aquaman in this? It'd be... OUTRAGEOUS!

This is going to have a story. A really terrible story. Why can't we just make a fighter without a story?

OT Looks interesting... threat of a story aside.

Ok... I'm interested. But please, tell me there's not a block button? I can't stand MK9's defiance of standard fighter conventions. What's a fighter without the cross ups?

And the oversimplified controls for Specials in MK9 made them impossible to pull off half the time. What's wrong with the good old fashioned quarter circles?

Now my money is on everyone playing Batman online because, well, he's Batman

I hope Batman is the new Wesker. I wouldn't mind losing to him countless fucking times.

Hope Superman is woefully underpowered as well. Fucking lolz

Annnnd talking about fighting games makes me want to go slap some bitches with my new Morrigan team in UMVC3... Don't worry, I play her rushdown no ChrisG shenanigans for me!

I'm interested, but let's all hope it's at least better than the last time they did this.

This looks like a lot of very ridiculous fun. Although I get the feeling The Flash will be shit, because if they made him any good he would be impossible to use.

This looks kind of "eh," to me. Nothing really wowed me.

Jandau:

Or they could just use magic.

OT:
Looks interesting, but after the fiasco of MK vs DC...eh.

coming from NetherRealm Studios I hope this turns to be a great game not like that other one that is collecting dust on my shelf... Mortal Kombat vs DC :S

Don't know why they would remake MK Vs DCU but whatever...

Also, did anyone notice how kinda "Mecha" Superman looked? I think to explain away Out of Character moments, they'll just say "They're just robots." or something.
Proof of this is where Batman goes all Chuck Norris on who ever that was.

Still, MK9 was petty good, hope they don't make all the characters "Feel" the same though like they did then.

That is the New 52 Superman; love the coztume but the :(y kinda made him weaker

Zhukov:
Aw, it's a fighter.

For a few glorious moments I was imagining an interesting story where a bunch of superheroes say "Fuck this" and set about installing themselves as modern god-kings.

You'd think there'd be at least ONE person who'd want to take over the world and NOT be a total bastard about it.

DVS BSTrD:

Zhukov:
Aw, it's a fighter.

You'd think there'd be at least ONE person who'd want to take over the world and NOT be a total bastard about it.

I dunno about that; even for heroes who are not obviously incredibly messed up and psychotic (*cough* Batman), being a super-powered being who has to constantly save the poor, dumb citizens of Earth from their own mistakes, while being villianized by the media who try and hold them to moral standards that seem ludicrous given their capabilites, must get pretty wearing. I'm still waiting for the Superman comic when he says, "No. Fuck this. You want my protection, we're going to do it my way. I'm going to go and rip Lex Luthor's spine out and throw him into the sun, along with anyone who is not going to follow my rules."

Thunderous Cacophony:

DVS BSTrD:

Zhukov:
Aw, it's a fighter.

I dunno about that; even for heroes who are not obviously incredibly messed up and psychotic (*cough* Batman), being a super-powered being who has to constantly save the poor, dumb citizens of Earth from their own mistakes, while being villianized by the media who try and hold them to moral standards that seem ludicrous given their capabilities, must get pretty wearing. I'm still waiting for the Superman comic when he says, "No. Fuck this. You want my protection, we're going to do it my way. I'm going to go and rip Lex Luthor's spine out and throw him into the sun, along with anyone who is not going to follow my rules."

That's exactly what I'm saying! Stop being a Boy Scout and take charge. Getting rid of Lex Luthor for good is downright saintly compared to letting him live and making everyone miserable.

\

Thunderous Cacophony:

DVS BSTrD:

Zhukov:
Aw, it's a fighter.

I dunno about that; even for heroes who are not obviously incredibly messed up and psychotic (*cough* Batman), being a super-powered being who has to constantly save the poor, dumb citizens of Earth from their own mistakes, while being villianized by the media who try and hold them to moral standards that seem ludicrous given their capabilites, must get pretty wearing. I'm still waiting for the Superman comic when he says, "No. Fuck this. You want my protection, we're going to do it my way. I'm going to go and rip Lex Luthor's spine out and throw him into the sun, along with anyone who is not going to follow my rules."

There was a story arc in the Justice League animated series where that happened. It was in a parallel universe though. It didn't end well for them.

DVS BSTrD:

Zhukov:
Aw, it's a fighter.

Sometimes that can be Lex Luthor's thing. He wants to take over the world because he honestly believes he could do a better job of it. The other times he's a crazy bastard who just likes to fuck shit up.

Honestly? This could be pretty good. MK vs DC and the new MK were both good quality fighting games. They had good, fluid controls, combat really flowed, they a decent number of combos and as far as fighters go a pretty damn good story mood tht didn't just take half an hour to beat and got you familiarised with most of the roster. The only problem with MK vs DC was it lacked staying power. Once you completed the story (and got all the arcade mode endings if that's your thing) it didn't offer much besides pretty crappy online play. They need to get their shit together and get decent online this time around.

Batman's gonna feel broken and stupid though. No offence to the fans I just think Batman feels more like a character from Vertigo than DC. I mean people can talk about Batman's "preptime" all they want but really at least Superman has a magic off switch. Captain Marvel, Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter should all be able to knock Batman around without breaking a sweat but Deus Ex Machina Bullshit usually lets Batman hold his own. Seriously Batman can come up with a plan if he wants but pretty much every DC character realistically would snap him like a twig long before he could do anything. Superman, Flash and captain Marvel could punch him into the sun in the blink of an eye. Green Lantern could win literally as quick as he can think of how he wants to win. And this is a straight up fighting game, a guy who fights with the strength of a normal guy is going to get turned into a pile of porridge if he goes up against Solomon Grundy in a straight fight.

Spot1990:

DVS BSTrD:

Zhukov:
Aw, it's a fighter.

Sometimes that can be Lex Luthor's thing. He wants to take over the world because he honestly believes he could do a better job of it. The other times he's a crazy bastard who just likes to fuck shit up.

Honestly? This could be pretty good. MK vs DC and the new MK were both good quality fighting games. They had good, fluid controls, combat really flowed, they a decent number of combos and as far as fighters go a pretty damn good story mood tht didn't just take half an hour to beat and got you familiarised with most of the roster. The only problem with MK vs DC was it lacked staying power. Once you completed the story (and got all the arcade mode endings if that's your thing) it didn't offer much besides pretty crappy online play. They need to get their shit together and get decent online this time around.

Batman's gonna feel broken and stupid though. No offence to the fans I just think Batman feels more like a character from Vertigo than DC. I mean people can talk about Batman's "preptime" all they want but really at least Superman has a magic off switch. Captain Marvel, Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter should all be able to knock Batman around without breaking a sweat but Deus Ex Machina Bullshit usually lets Batman hold his own. Seriously Batman can come up with a plan if he wants but pretty much every DC character realistically would snap him like a twig long before he could do anything. Superman, Flash and captain Marvel could punch him into the sun in the blink of an eye. Green Lantern could win literally as quick as he can think of how he wants to win. And this is a straight up fighting game, a guy who fights with the strength of a normal guy is going to get turned into a pile of porridge if he goes up against Solomon Grundy in a straight fight.

Well if he was going up against Green Lantern it wouldn't exactly be a straight fight now would it?

Looks a lot like Mortal Kombat vs DCU only without the Mortal Kombat. Meh.

...dammit, and I JUST thought that I wouldn't need to buy any new fighting games for awhile.

After MK9, it seems like Netherrealm's earned quite a bit of street cred lately. If this is anything like that, then we'll probably be in for a treat.

And personally, I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of story they give us. Say what you will about MK vs DC, but the story mode was probably the best part of that game. Same goes for MK9. Netherrealm seems to have figured out the best way to tell a story in a fighting game, so I'm pretty hopeful in that regard.

I will say one thing though: Does this trailer remind anyone else of the trailers for Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3? I can't be the only one who's thought of that.

canadamus_prime:

That.

Course I don't remember that game selling too well. Huh...

Anyways, comic book heroes being brutal is not really news. They already did that. It was called the 90s. Heroes turning bad has been done before... a lot. I think DC has an alternate Earth entirely devoted to that... and made a few movie about it. We don't know anything about gameplay, except that will probably be a fighting game, which might be interesting. Overall, I'd say that it feels like a weak presentation. Come on guys, you can do better then this.

This looks pretty interesting. I must admit I would love to see fatalities. Perhaps Superman could The Flash in half or something. I wonder if they will get Kevin Conroy to voice Batman.

I wonder if this will pan out exactly the same way as it did last time...Especially since NetherRealm Studio's most famous game was well loved thanks to the gore.

Gabanuka:

Zhukov:

Gabanuka:

One word. Preptime.

A Kryptonite ring won't help Batman much if in the time it takes to put it on his finger Superman could have flown into space and threw the moon at him.

The DC Universe is so overpowered I'm guessing everyone will have their powers nerfed down to standard Mortal Kombat strength, with the only differences being 3 or four special moves per character that are tailored to their power.

canadamus_prime:

I would be sceptical too, but they've made MK9 since then which has pleasantly surprised me, for the first time in over a decade they managed to make a fighting game that is genuinely fun to play. So if they can make Injustice just as good as MK9 was I'll definitely be getting it. NetherRealm have shown they can get their act together, hopefully they can continue with making actually good games.

Hazy992:
So Mortal Kombat 9 but with DC characters? Well I'm buying this.

Yup, this sounds about right. I'm not huge into fighting games but MK9 was pretty fun.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here