E3: Nintendo Reveals Wii U Details

E3: Nintendo Reveals Wii U Details

Nintendo's pre-E3 address lays down a pile of details about the Wii U.

We already know that the Wii U is coming and it's bringing with it a funky, handheld controller that makes the original Xbox gamepad look positively petite, but what's all that hot new hardware actually going to do for us? Much of what it brings to the party is fairly conventional stuff: the final production design of the creatively-named Wii U GamePad is slightly different from the prototype that was displayed at the last E3, and now boasts two thumbsticks with integrated buttons as well as a few cosmetic changes designed to make it more comfortable for long stretches of gaming. It also sports a touch screen, is motion-sensing and features a near field communication reader/writer and a universal remote control. For gamers who prefer the tried-and-true, the Wii U will also support all previous Wii controllers, including the Wii Remote, the Nunchuk and the Balance Board, as well as the new Wii U Pro Controller, which looks identical to a standard current-gen gamepad.

Greater innovations are to be found in how the GamePad integrates with the rest of the system. The two-screen design allows for what Iwata referred to as "asymmetric diversity in gameplay," which essentially means that the small GamePad screen will display content and perspectives different from what's on the television. As an example, Nintendo showed the GamePad screen being used to pitch and catch a baseball, while the big screen displayed a field-level view of the game. In a similar vein, content like videos and pictures can be viewed on the GamePad screen independently of the television, but can easily be served to the television when desired.

Nintendo appears to be banking on integrated connectivity as the console's big selling feature. The start-up menu will actually display a gang of real-world Miis milling around your screen; they'll cluster around tiles representing the game they're playing and speech bubbles will pop up displaying their actual communications. The purpose of this "MiiVerse" is to "add not only information, but also a new degree of empathy between players," Iwata explained, adding that it can be accessed at any time, from any Wii U title, without having to exit the game. Text messaging will be supported, as will handwritten messages and even teleconferencing using the GamePad as a camera. It won't be ready at launch, but the long-term plan is to make the MiiVerse available away from the console, via the 3DS, PC or any web-enabled mobile device.

The one thing Iwata didn't touch on is how it will actually play games. The broadened social tools look very cool and if Nintendo is able to tap into the zeitgeist that made the original Wii so huge with casual gamers, the Wii U could turn out to be another big hit. But if it misses that mark - or worse, if that mark is simply no longer there to be hit - there's nothing on display here that makes this console look like it will be able to punch with whatever comes next from Sony and Microsoft. There's no doubt that it will do what it does very well; the only question is, will anyone care?

See all our coverage directly from the E3 2012 show floor.

Ya know if you're gonna do a half hour presentation about your new gaming system actually addressing how it plays games might be something to think about.

Honestly, I think seeing that they focused on everything but actual gameplay tells me quite a bit about this thing. I think it will likely end up being a PS3/360 level console that has a gimmicky controller.

I just can't see this thing catching on like the Wii did. The Wii caught lightning in a bottle and got a shit ton of the non gaming audience to put down money. I don't see that happening here.

Finally about the actual presentation, having someone with more charisma than an eggplant do the presentation would do wonders. Hell, maybe even getting someone who speaks "the english" a bit more fluently would be novel. Ole Iwata might be a cut up in doing presentations in his native language but listening to him struggle giving a 30 minute presentation in English was just painful

The subtext here: "We're still trying to get developers on board with this before we can speak in any real way to third-party offerings."

I'm partly relieved and partly dismayed to hear that they'll continue support for older controllers. As a customer, I was writing this console off entirely based on the price of console + 2 gamepads. I figured it would either be prohibitively expensive... or, if they were able to keep costs down, shoddy beyond belief.

The dismay comes in the aforementioned third-party offerings. If you make the big gimmick optional, most developers will opt out. Why spend my precious budget developing for a feature that only a small part of my audience will use? (See also: Wii motion controls, Kinect, PS Move) The only games that will use it will be games designed specifically to exploit its capabilities -- which is to say "mostly first-party games, or casual third-party experimental titles."

It's a Catch-22 -- Make it affordable and third-party friendly by making the gimmick optional, and you'll ensure the gimmick dies a quiet death, thus draining the appeal from the new console. Make the gimmick the Big Star, and you drive up the baseline buy-in for your customers as well as potentially alienating many of those third-party developers, thus draining the appeal from the new console.

Just hurry up with it Nintendo, you already got my money. I also wonder what excuses devs mind end up making in order to convince themselves that the Wii U isn't worth developing for. At least Gearbox and Pitchford seem to love the damn thing. Luckily Nintendo can still rely on their old war horses to self-sustain is devs get lazy or cowardly.

So the MiiVerse is basically Xbox Live with a few vestigial bells and whistles?

I sometimes like to think what would happen if Nintendo went software only. A Zelda or Mario taking advantage of hardware that wasn't archaic three years before it was released. Or a pokemon game for Android/iOS for people who want to play on the go, but not enough to fork over 200 bucks and sacrifice pocket space for something outclassed by most smart phones.

It'd be so nice to be able to try their quality games without having to buy their shitty hardware.

Every time I hear him talk I can only think of the South Park Japanese stereotype voice. It makes me giggle.

Pro controller looks decent. No idea why they put the buttons below the right thumbstick though. I guess if they didn't it would just be a blatant ripoff of the 360 pad. I mean, not that it isn't a blatant ripoff of the 360 pad already.

Still not interested in lolNintendo products. I was fooled by the Wii, I will not be fooled again.

Dastardly:
It's a Catch-22 -- Make it affordable and third-party friendly by making the gimmick optional, and you'll ensure the gimmick dies a quiet death, thus draining the appeal from the new console. Make the gimmick the Big Star, and you drive up the baseline buy-in for your customers as well as potentially alienating many of those third-party developers, thus draining the appeal from the new console.

There's also option 3: Ignore gimmicks and make a solid, affordable console. See: Xbox 360

Gimmicks are the reason the Wii was so damn popular, but it's also the reason it has no good games and has been cast aside ENTIRELY by hardcore gamers. The Wii might be the biggest failure in the history of consoles as far as core gamers are concerned. I know it is for me. That didn't stop it from selling like a triple-cunted hooker, but it did hurt their reputation with their target audience a great deal.

Xanthious:
Ya know if you're gonna do a half hour presentation about your new gaming system actually addressing how it plays games might be something to think about.

Honestly, I think seeing that they focused on everything but actual gameplay tells me quite a bit about this thing. I think it will likely end up being a PS3/360 level console that has a gimmicky controller.

Couldn't agree more. There is nothing worse than sitting through a product demonstration for any measurable amount of time and have no idea as to what said product can actually can do.

Still not interested in a WiiU but I really want a nonspecific action figure.

So did they actually mention any tech specs for the console? Ram, CPUs, videocard, anything that's actually important? I mean, they keep saying that it's powerful enough to compete with the PS3 and the Xbox 360, but exactly what does that mean?! We need specifics here.

Dirty Hipsters:
So did they actually mention any tech specs for the console? Ram, CPUs, videocard, anything that's actually important? I mean, they keep saying that it's powerful enough to compete with the PS3 and the Xbox 360, but exactly what does that mean?! We need specifics here.

No, because that's just fluff that 90% of customers are to go "derp?" over. It would just waste time to talk about it. Like Reggie said last year the console is a BOX, and its specs are means to an end.

Consider me hopeful for Nintendo this time around. Connectivity and player interaction is a good thing, even if the trolls will abuse this like crazy. Still, I hope Nintendo's experiment works well.

I cant freaking wait for the WiiU it looks great!

MetallicaRulez0:
Every time I hear him talk I can only think of the South Park Japanese stereotype voice. It makes me giggle.

Pro controller looks decent. No idea why they put the buttons below the right thumbstick though. I guess if they didn't it would just be a blatant ripoff of the 360 pad. I mean, not that it isn't a blatant ripoff of the 360 pad already.

Still not interested in lolNintendo products. I was fooled by the Wii, I will not be fooled again.

Dastardly:

There's also option 3: Ignore gimmicks and make a solid, affordable console. See: Xbox 360

Gimmicks are the reason the Wii was so damn popular, but it's also the reason it has no good games and has been cast aside ENTIRELY by hardcore gamers. The Wii might be the biggest failure in the history of consoles as far as core gamers are concerned. I know it is for me. That didn't stop it from selling like a triple-cunted hooker, but it did hurt their reputation with their target audience a great deal.

HAHAHAAHAHAHA! "no good games" what are you smoking? The Wii had the best exclusive titles this entire generation. "a solid reliable console. See: Xbox 360" that's a freaking riot! The last thing I would describe the Xbox 360 with is "reliable" the thing breaks down if so much as a light breeze touches it! Hell and the biggest failure in the history of consoles would have to be the Sega 32x by far, I like my xbox 360 (Great for fighting games) but I would put it as a bigger disappointment for the industry by propelling the popularity of brown-grey shooters and 12 year olds playing online. All the Wii ever did was make motion controllers WHICH MICROSOFT IMMEDIATELY ATTEMPTED TO COPY THE SUCCESS OF! See: Kinect.

Active Schizophrenic:

HAHAHAAHAHAHA! "no good games" what are you smoking? The Wii had the best exclusive titles this entire generation. "a solid reliable console. See: Xbox 360" that's a freaking riot! The last thing I would describe the Xbox 360 with is "reliable" the thing breaks down if so much as a light breeze touches it! Hell and the biggest failure in the history of consoles would have to be the Sega 32x by far, I like my xbox 360 (Great for fighting games) but I would put it as a bigger disappointment for the industry by propelling the popularity of brown-grey shooters and 12 year olds playing online. All the Wii ever did was make motion controllers WHICH MICROSOFT IMMEDIATELY ATTEMPTED TO COPY THE SUCCESS OF! See: Kinect.

I wouldn't say that Wii has the best exclusive titles... that's highly subjective. But the rest is kinda close to what I was going to say. Then again...

it has no good games and has been cast aside ENTIRELY by hardcore gamers.

This statement is very stupid and deserves that kind of response. Nice work.

OT: I was wondering when the Escapist was gonna write up on this. The segment at 12:40 is so bad it's hilarious! I really hope Nintendo gets online right with this console.

Actually kind of excited about some of what was revealed and what it means for gameplay, so I await their presentation tomorrow and all the details it will show. Glad to see they finally addressed the long term waggle-free option of an actual controller, though a bit sad that I'll probably have to buy it separate.

I still want that HD Zelda that they previewed it with.

Active Schizophrenic:

HAHAHAAHAHAHA! "no good games" what are you smoking? The Wii had the best exclusive titles this entire generation.

God of War, Uncharted, Gears of War, Journey, Halo, Viva Pinata, Metal Gear Solid and Infamous, among a few others, might argue with you on this one. In terms of exclusives, this generation can go round for round without too many clear winners, until titles like Metroid Other M and Kirby's Epic Yarn come into play. Don't be too hasty to fly the arrogant fanboy flag--it just makes you look silly.

I'm not crazy about the non-gaming additions, but the whole "2nd perspective via gamepad" idea could be great for strategizing against players in the same room - imagine playing a fighting game and not knowing what move the other player is inputting (I could always tell in Street Fighter if my brother was going to throw a Hadoken or something because I could see him pressing the buttons and react accordingly). Hell, maybe it won't even need split-screen mode anymore. And it could add interesting twists to existing franchises: you wouldn't have to switch between perspectives in Metroid - 3rd person and 1st person can happen almost simultaneously. That could be the deciding factor - a system that incorporates the perks of anonymous online play with actual people in the room. For players who don't want the online, Xbox-Live experience, I'd say that fits perfectly with Nintendo's market strategy.

I can't believe so many people don't realize that this is a PRE E3.
Did you really think that they will tell you everything about the console in the half hour of the video? Did you really think you will see all the games announcements?

They will keep the good stuff for tomorrow and the day after. For E3, the reason why they are even there. Only an idiot would pull out the big guns before the main event.

BehattedWanderer:
Actually kind of excited about some of what was revealed and what it means for gameplay, so I await their presentation tomorrow and all the details it will show. Glad to see they finally addressed the long term waggle-free option of an actual controller, though a bit sad that I'll probably have to buy it separate.

Active Schizophrenic:

HAHAHAAHAHAHA! "no good games" what are you smoking? The Wii had the best exclusive titles this entire generation.

God of War, Uncharted, Gears of War, Journey, Halo, Viva Pinata, Metal Gear Solid and Infamous, among a few others, might argue with you on this one. In terms of exclusives, this generation can go round for round without too many clear winners, until titles like Metroid Other M and Kirby's Epic Yarn come into play. Don't be too hasty to fly the arrogant fanboy flag--it just makes you look silly.

The problem with that is that all those games are the exclusives for BOTH the PS3 and the Xbox 360 combined. They are different consoles their exclusives are counted separate. Why would I want to buy an entire console based on 4 games? The systems I own are a P.C. for just about everything, A Wii for the large selection of exclusive titles, and an Xbox 360 for fighting games and to play with my friends. I have nothing against the PS3 but most of the people I know played on Xbox 360 so that was the "hardcore" console I got. Im not any console fanboy at all I was simply responding to the above ridiculous post, If I was any fanboy at all it would be a P.C. fanboy.

Also, What was wrong with Kirby's Epic Yarn? That game was great.

Can it play decent games?
Can I play it without holding a monstrous, awkward etch-a-sketch lookalike?

That's all I really want to know about this console and the only two factors which will really influence my purchase decision. Luckily, the answer to the second question seems to be "yes" based on the info in this post and I still have enough faith in Nintendo's first party titles to assume the first is true as well.

Active Schizophrenic:

BehattedWanderer:

Active Schizophrenic:

The problem with that is that all those games are the exclusives for BOTH the PS3 and the Xbox 360 combined. They are different consoles their exclusives are counted separate. Why would I want to buy an entire console based on 4 games? The systems I own are a P.C. for just about everything, A Wii for the large selection of exclusive titles, and an Xbox 360 for fighting games and to play with my friends. I have nothing against the PS3 but most of the people I know played on Xbox 360 so that was the "hardcore" console I got. Im not any console fanboy at all I was simply responding to the above ridiculous post, If I was any fanboy at all it would be a P.C. fanboy.

So, you argue that exclusives don't matter, after bringing up the argument that the Wii's exclusives mattered more than anything else. Not exactly consistent, are you?

Well, this changed my opinion from "doomed to fail" to "meh" which I guess is a step in the right direction. Well, they still have their E3 conference. Maybe there we will see some freaking GAMES!

BiH-Kira:
Did you really think that they will tell you everything about the console in the half hour of the video? Did you really think you will see all the games announcements?

They will keep the good stuff for tomorrow and the day after. For E3, the reason why they are even there. Only an idiot would pull out the big guns before the main event.

More like they had to show this pre-E3 in order to not confuse the morons who cried about Nintendo not patronizingly explaining every single detail to them last year. Tomorrow's presser is going to be EXCLUSIVELY Wii U titles while Wednesday's is nothing but the 3DS. Looks like Nitnendo's got this one in the bag.

BehattedWanderer:

Active Schizophrenic:

BehattedWanderer:

So, you argue that exclusives don't matter, after bringing up the argument that the Wii's exclusives mattered more than anything else. Not exactly consistent, are you?

Um, I never said that? my statement of "why would I want to buy a console based on 4 games" Was to illustrate the lack of exclusive games on the Xbox 360 and PS3 while emphasizing the point that the Wii has a lot more worthwhile exclusives to buy the system for. You misread my point.

Active Schizophrenic:

BehattedWanderer:

Active Schizophrenic:

Um, I never said that? my statement of "why would I want to buy a console based on 4 games" Was to illustrate the lack of exclusive games on the Xbox 360 and PS3 while emphasizing the point that the Wii has a lot more worthwhile exclusives to buy the system for. You misread my point.

Again, the same argument of your original post--"worthwhile exclusives". All four major platforms have their fair share of excellent exclusives, in both single and series form, to suit all kinds of needs and tastes. And you're not buying a console based on four games, you're buying it on several select exclusives and the plethora of multi-platform titles that might interest you, buying each console on their strengths, like all the thirteen year old children and manchildren on Xbox live to play with, or all the excellently-aging platforming goodness that Nintendo offers alongside it's giant monsters and quirky auteurs. "Best exclusive titles of this generation" speaks of blatantly ignoring the numerous quality titles that are home only to each of the other platforms. I was simply saying that such a statement has no ground, what with it having the weight of Kanye West's egotistical interruption at an award show.

I haven't watched the video so i don't know whether this is adressed or not but all I want to know is if I can use my gamecube controller with it because frankly it's better than anything made for the Wii.

Then again, I don't know that I'll actually be getting it anyway.

If I hear the word "gimmicky" or "casual gamer" tied to Nintendo one more time, I think I may snap...

Reet72:
I haven't watched the video so i don't know whether this is adressed or not but all I want to know is if I can use my gamecube controller with it because frankly it's better than anything made for the Wii.

Then again, I don't know that I'll actually be getting it anyway.

Nope, only Wii accessories, though they are releasing a Pro controller that's very similar to the GC's pad.

BehattedWanderer:

Active Schizophrenic:

BehattedWanderer:

Again, the same argument of your original post--"worthwhile exclusives". All four major platforms have their fair share of excellent exclusives, in both single and series form, to suit all kinds of needs and tastes. And you're not buying a console based on four games, you're buying it on several select exclusives and the plethora of multi-platform titles that might interest you, buying each console on their strengths, like all the thirteen year old children and manchildren on Xbox live to play with, or all the excellently-aging platforming goodness that Nintendo offers alongside it's giant monsters and quirky auteurs. "Best exclusive titles of this generation" speaks of blatantly ignoring the numerous quality titles that are home only to each of the other platforms. I was simply saying that such a statement has no ground, what with it having the weight of Kanye West's egotistical interruption at an award show.

Again, anything stated is opinion and I was merely wishing to show the person I was originally responded too (Who stated "The Wii has no good games") with an opinion the opposite of his own. Which was "The Wii has the best exclusives of this generation" which is an opinion I still hold, the logic behind the point was that most of the great games you can get on the Wii you can only get on the Wii while most of the great games on the 360 you can also get on the PS3 and P.C. meaning mathematically the Wii would have many more good exclusive games which makes it entirely viable as a gaming platform. But no I guess I am a Nintendo fanboy and "The Wii has the best exclusives of this generation" is a much more stupid opinion than "The Wii has no good games".

The near field communication sounds interesting, but until someone can do something great with it, the only thing I can see it used for is day one DLC code input so you don't have to type a code in.

The only thing I could see Nintendo doing with it is finding a way to resell pokemon.

I'm curious to see how this will go, but there's little to no chance I'll buy it myself. I bought the Wii but all my favourite games on it (e.g. Xenoblade, Rune Factory, Brawl) work better with a classic controller or aren't enhanced by the Wii's gimmick. Heck, even some of the games that do use motion controls that I enjoy, like No More Heroes, wouldn't be any worse without it. I can't imagine these new gimmicks will enhance my experience in any way and I prefer the social part of my gaming to happen offline on a couch rather than online, so the social stuff doesn't really persuade me either.

Also that zombie bit was offensively cheesy. <.<

Captcha: know your rights

BiH-Kira:

I have to agree with this. This was just the time to get over the console details, so that they could focus on the gameplay on E3 and not have to waste too much time on the console.

At least, that's how it's looking to me. My fingers are crossed.

I think quite a few people here didn't really pay attention to what Iwata was saying....even the OP. In short, E3 Tuesday is going to focus on games and more games while this pre-E3 event was to focus on the WiiU console functions itself.

So if you want to see how gameplay would be effected, maybe expect something from Tuesday.

Active Schizophrenic:

BehattedWanderer:

Active Schizophrenic:

Again, anything stated is opinion and I was merely wishing to show the person I was originally responded too (Who stated "The Wii has no good games") with an opinion the opposite of his own. Which was "The Wii has the best exclusives of this generation" which is an opinion I still hold, the logic behind the point was that most of the great games you can get on the Wii you can only get on the Wii while most of the great games on the 360 you can also get on the PS3 and P.C. meaning mathematically the Wii would have many more good exclusive games which makes it entirely viable as a gaming platform. But no I guess I am a Nintendo fanboy and "The Wii has the best exclusives of this generation" is a much more stupid opinion than "The Wii has no good games".

The Wii has the most exclusives of this generation, and the one's that are good do not use it's gimmick, or work best without it.
Granted, there are several exceptions, but one of the main factors that comes into play is that the Xbox 360 is not used in Japan, and instead the PS3 and Wii are the leaders in that region, leading to not many (japanese) exclusives because they have less of a market to possibly have success in.

I would argue that if the good games that were released on the Wii were instead multi-platform, then the Wii itself have a lack of interesting titles available (the first party franchises that are some of the most stagnant examples in gaming), because no decent developer would limit themselves with such outdated hardware.

Of course, all an opinion :)

Well, that was a pretty inaccurate representation of internet conversations.

There hasn't also been much shared that is all that much of interest to me.

Torrasque:
If I hear the word "gimmicky" or "casual gamer" tied to Nintendo one more time, I think I may snap...

Thank you. I'm getting so sick of this silliness as well.

MetallicaRulez0:
no good games and has been cast aside ENTIRELY by hardcore gamers.

So Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Little King's Story, Xenoblade Chronicles, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Klonoa, Rune Factory Frontier, LostWinds, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, are bad games that hardcore gamers don't like?

Are you in the market for an oversized handheld console whose library of games is 90% shovelwear, and the remaining 10% consists of lower spec versions of games you've already played- but with motion control!?

Then boy has Nintendo got a deal for you.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here