E3 Exclusive: Activision Confirms Angry Birds HD on Consoles

Pages 1 2 NEXT

E3 Exclusive: Activision Confirms Angry Birds HD on Consoles

The publishing giant just snatched up a cash cow, erm, bird.

Activision has shown multiple big titles this year, including Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, Skylanders: Giants and, of course, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. but the news sleuths of the Escapist just stumbled upon another, much more secretive reveal nested between some unrelated promotional videos on its gigantic public booth screen. Somewhere between an ad for Call of Duty and some footage of The Amazing Spiderman we caught sight of an eerily familiar, tiny red bird soaring kamikaze-style into the Activision logo's giant "A."

Angry Birds? Activision? We quickly cornered the nearest company spokesperson on the thoroughly unexpected avian invasion.

"We'll have some news for you in about two weeks," Activision said. "Wait until you see Angry Birds on consoles in HD."

Despite the clever tease inserted into its E3 demo reel, Activision has made no other official announcement regarding the game's imminent migration to core consoles. We'll be reporting on currently unannounced details, such as level-themes, missile-types, and other relevant bird-demolition information when Activision is ready for a full reveal later this month.

See all our coverage directly from the E3 2012 show floor.

No amount of facepalm will show the disapproval I feel... But I shall try!

Hell I always feel disapproval and/or hatred when it comes to Activision so I think I MAY be biased against them a bit...

Be interesting to see how they work in the chest high walls.

Mike Kayatta:

The new Angry Cows: Udder Devastation DLC pack coming soon to X-box Live

But I already have it on PS3...

In other news: Bear will shit in woods. More at 11...

Seriously, this is breaking news in the same way that a CoD will be released in 2013 is breaking news. We all knew it was coming. It was just a matter of when...

On a side note: congrats on the scoop...

DVS BSTrD:

Mike Kayatta:

The new Angry Cows: Utter Devastation DLC pack coming soon to X-box Live

Oh God... AB Launchers in Blops 2... the new noobtube...

Solo-Wing:

Hell I always feel disapproval and/or hatred when it comes to Activision so I think I MAY be biased against them a bit...

Okay, you're just being unreasonable. Angry Birds is amazing!

Mike Kayatta:
"Wait until you see Angry Birds on consoles in HD."

Yes, because every time I have played Angry Birds I have longed for that sharper, more defined visual quality that only High Definition can bring... Seriously, WTF?

The only console I want Angry Birds on is the 3DS, simply because it has the right interface for the style of play and I will then be able to enjoy this annoyingly addictive game any time I want!

Mumorpuger:

Solo-Wing:

Okay, you're just being unreasonable. Angry Birds is amazing!

Yes but they were bought out by the publisher known for Buying out Guitar Hero, Tony Hawks Skateboarding, and many more IP's that proved to make some coin, Milking them to death, then leaving them to rot in the gutter.

I also Hate Activision because of their mutilation of Spyro.

Oooh, great, more angry birds, just what I was hoping for. [/sarcasm]

Really, though, we need console versions of flash games? The hell is that nonsense? How much will it sell for, $10? Oh, no, this is Activision, they enjoy selling 5 hour games for $60.

Mike Kayatta:

We quickly cornered the nearest company spokesperson on the thoroughly unexpected avian invasion.

Can one of you corner a Nintendo rep about the Arwing that snuck in during the Nintendoland showoff?

Ugh, the point of a game like angry birds is something you can play on your phone for a few minutes depending.
It wouldn't be a good game on console at all, because it's not a game that's entertaining for consecutive hours (For most people that is)
Heh, can't wait to see it with the usual Activision price mark up

I'm not paying $5-$20 dollars for any amount of Angry Birds. On top of that, I only want to play a game as simple as Angry Birds when I'm out and about and didn't think ahead to pack my 3DS. The idea that I would willingly fire it up on a console that has dozens of more interesting games is outrageous.

Worst idea I've seen out of this year's E3.

This one trick pony is getting really old.

...Isn't angry birds already on the PSN? I could've sworn it was. I could've also sworn it looked like arse due to sloppy upscaling and was a bit of a rip off since it was about 4 for the stuff you got for 1 on any given app store.

Calumon: Whenever Jack sees an Angry Bird, he usually comes home in bruises. Is Jack a pig?

Jack: Some say that.

Will it ever end? Will Rovio not stop until the entire world is drowning in bloody Angry Birds?

I'm not really an Angry Birds hater (the game is okay, but it's popularity is undeserved) but I really hope this game fails. For all the hate "hardcore" gamers spew for this game this is when they need to prove their point and not buy this game on consoles. Show Rovio that they actually can fail and there are some people who don't want this game no matter how hard they try to shove it in our faces.

So Activision is shelling out to bring a flash game to PSN (again) and XBLA?

This will probably not end well for either side.

gigastar:

There is a precedent for this. Super Meat boy started out as a flash game and that was awesome.

That said..... ugh, no more angry birds. I was annoyed at the Kinect 3-d version shown during the microsoft conference. Can't image what can be done to vanilla AB that would make it appealing.

If they toss this on the Wii, my mother will be happy.

:P

Wow, those folks at Microsoft really know what a killer-announcement looks like. I can hardly contain myself. Angry Birds on a console! Just imagine.

I can't wait for next year when they announce that I can now play Angry Birds on my microwave oven.

...isn't the entire point of playing Angry Birds to be able to do so whilst on the toilet?

Ne1butme:

gigastar:

There is a precedent for this. Super Meat boy started out as a flash game and that was awesome.

That said..... ugh, no more angry birds. I was annoyed at the Kinect 3-d version shown during the microsoft conference. Can't image what can be done to vanilla AB that would make it appealing.

Flash Games =/= IOS games
The bar for the quality of IOS games is much lower (IMO), because most people who have access to it aren't picky about what games they play. Where as if you are looking up flash games to play you're gonna' gravitate towards the highest quality games. In addition you don't have to pay for flash games (usually).

also...

NO! Angry Birds 3D is where I draw the line... again.
*cough*catapultforhire*cough*

Rovio really is a one hit wonder company, aren't they? It's starting to look like one of those mock game series you'd sometimes see in cartoons or in other games, that just aim to take the piss out of something by being the same thing released over and over with only minor changes.

Snake Boxer 6: Now The Snakes Have Fists Too!

It's a release strategy that kind of fits with what Activision is doing anyway, but even Nintendo has a better idea about extending game series than Rovio seems to. Wonder what happens when people forget about Angry Birds. Does Rovio fade into obscurity because no-one could take two minutes to care about what they try to do next, just like no-one's really cared much about any of the nearly three dozen other games they've made?

five dead pigs rewards you with helicopter support.

SERIOUSLY? I... I... *makes noises out of frustration*........... Here... Here's a video to tell you my opinion and what I want to do to activision.

Right, so Activision got its hands on a easily milk-able game. Why am I not surprised?

Here's my wild speculations:
In one corner, we have the Minecraft console adaptation.
It was cheaper than the PC version, is in HD, contains unique local server hosting & splitscreen, and comes with free content updates to get it up to scratch!

...and in the other corner, we have Angry birds console adaptation.
Will it cost 59p ($1)? Hell no! They made it HD! That's at least worth $10 flat! Will it get get free content updates? Are you insane? Are the iOS versions giving out free content? if each expansion is 59p, then Angry Birds on console will at least have to match $5! It's in HD!
The only thing I think I can make a valid assumption of, is the fact that it will have local multiplayer.

I say that all in jest, it will probably be great. that's just the light I see Activision in, and I hope for the sake of gaming they prove me wrong and actually make it $5 for the lot, and $2-3 per instalment. That's what I would call fair and even then that's pushing it for me.

Clearly, Activision expects to make money ham over fist with this deal.

w-w...wha??

But why?!

I no understand

Just what we've all been waiting for.

Nice to see the xbox get another hardcore, deep gaming experience...

DVS BSTrD:

Mike Kayatta:

The new Angry Cows: Utter Devastation DLC pack coming soon to X-box Live

Don't you mean... Udder Devastation?

Greg Tito:
Clearly, Activision expects to make money ham over fist with this deal.

Guess they really made a pigs ear of this deal.

Puns are all I'm good for :(

I've nothing against Angry Birds, in fact, I play and enjoy it, but that's because I can bring it up in the blink of an eye on a device I always have with me, play a few games to pass a few minutes, then put it away. And that's just not how consoles work, it's not what they're best at.

But, you know, if ever Microsoft implemented a game-in-game system (like picture-in-picture) with which I could pause the game I'm playing and quickly whip up Angry Birds or one of its ilk for a few minutes, then unpause and return to my game - all without having to save, return to the dashboard etc - then I'd be all for it. I often find it helpful, in certain games with difficult fights or baffling puzzles, to stop playing and do something else for a few minutes to give my brain a rest. Angry Birds and other such games would be perfect for that.

I already have Angry Birds on two different handheld systems lol

neither of which is a graphing calculator tho

I wonder how that HD would work... I mean, it's Angry Birds! What could possibly improve with HD, and could Activision please explain what do they mean with HD? It's like the time I heard, and later see Minecraft in Xbox 360... So pointless.

I mean, I'm all up for releases like Minecraft and Angry Birds on consoles, but why announce AB on HD? ARGH!

...Why?

I mean to ask, why would they give Activision the rights to publish this as opposed to publishing it themselves?

I see no financial reason for the developers (stupid as they may be) to side with a company as horrible as Activision.

Hmm....

I think I will stick to the free versions I've played everywhere including my browser. I'm not paying for a free game. That would be foolish.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here