See Bowser, Zangief, and Robotnik Together in Wreck-It Ralph Trailer

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

See Bowser, Zangief, and Robotnik Together in Wreck-It Ralph Trailer

Disney's upcoming videogame satire sends up the whole medium.

Since it has more money than a good number of developing nations combined, it's easy to see Disney as a corporate badguy, bean-counting behind a pair of plastic mouse ears and a soulless grin. The upside to having so much capital, however, is the ability to take on projects that might bankrupt smaller studios. In Disney's upcoming animated film Wreck-It Ralph, John C. Reilly stars as an 8-bit videogame villain who wishes to be a hero. Fair enough, but in order to accomplish this goal, he finds himself in a support group with Super Mario's Bowser, Sonic's Dr. Robotnik, and Street Fighter's Zangief. At the same time. From Pac-Man to Q-Bert, Wreck-It Ralph must have filled the coffers of a hundred copyright lawyers - and that's only the trailer.

While this is not the first media released about Wreck-It Ralph, it's the first substantial trailer, and it's hard to imagine it not eliciting a smile from anyone who grew up in the late 80s or early 90s. The titular Ralph is the brutish thug to Fix-It Felix's handyman hero, and he's fed up with his villainous lot in life. His odyssey takes him through a support group for 8-bit antagonists (M. Bison and Clyde show up, too, if you were wondering), into a kiddy kart racer Sugar Rush, and even into Hero's Duty, which casts him as a generic space marine under the command of a perfectly cast Jane Lynch barking hyper-masculine orders ("When did videogames become so violent and scary?" laments Ralph).

Stand-up comedienne Sarah Silverman and Jack McBrayer of 30 Rock fame show up as well, and that's only in the two minutes and thirty seconds of trailer footage. Granted, there's plenty that can go wrong in the other 88-118 minutes of this movie, but a good-natured satire that lampoons both classic and modern games is always welcome, especially when it has some blockbuster money behind it. Wreck-It Ralph debuts on November 2, 2012.

Source: Disney

The fact that they got actual video game characters is really great...

Other than that, it's probably the greatest thing i've ever seen in my life...

Definitely seeing this in theaters...

I just hope Emperor Zurg shows up at some point. Then it will be perfect.

The Wreck-It Ralph trailer brings whole new meaning to the phrase "So bad, it's good".

If this has as many cameos as I'm hoping it will, then this will the best movie.

Ever.

This looks like it could be really good. Loving the cameos as well, plus I saw what they did there with the song Levels.

I have to wonder who paied who to get all these cameos into the game. If the game companies paied to get the characters in as sort of advertizement, or Disney to borrow the rights to each character.

Also, this is a movie about video games, made by Disney. if a SINGlE reference to Kingdom Hearts isn't made I'm going to demand my money back.

DVS BSTrD:
I just hope Emperor Zerg shows up at some point. Then it will be perfect.

The Wreck-It Ralph trailer brings whole new meaning to the phrase "So bad, it's good".

Do you mean Zurg from Buzz Lightyear, or the Zerg Swarm of Starcraft?

I hope we see other bad guys from current games. A metroid would be interesting or something like that.

saintdane05:

DVS BSTrD:
I just hope Emperor Zerg shows up at some point. Then it will be perfect.

Do you mean Zurg from Buzz Lightyear, or the Zerg Swarm of Starcraft?

Dammit! That's the second time today!

Check it again and you'll Ursula.

Please, oh please have Mike Pollock voice Eggman. I'm not asking much, one line will do.

Hopefully they don't put a release window on this as well - sure, it'd make the game parody even more effective, but that won't make it any less annoying.

Awesome.

I'm totally looking forward to this movie, if only for the cameos.
Though the actually movie itself looks pretty good too.

If they get Richard Newman to voice M. Bison I'll be there opening night.

I'm just a liiiittle bit wary of this. (Zangief isn't a bad guy for one thing!)
If this was done by Pixar I'd be sleeping soundly, but Disney can be a bit hit & miss. But we'll find out this autumn.

another screen shot has Chun-li:

http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads//2012/06/wreck-it-ralph-plaza.jpg?d58414

I have no clue what the purple woman, the devil guy, and the robot are from though. Might be generic stand-ins.

To be honest, I'd imagine that when offered a place in a huge Disney movie, you don't demand a fat payment for use of your character, you just set some rules in place that they don't abuse the usage of him/her/it, and make sure you get a fair cut of any licensing deals.

The game of the movie had best include the original arcade game as an extra tho!

dragongit:
I have to wonder who paied who to get all these cameos into the game. If the game companies paied to get the characters in as sort of advertizement, or Disney to borrow the rights to each character.

Also, this is a movie about video games, made by Disney. if a SINGlE reference to Kingdom Hearts isn't made I'm going to demand my money back.

It would be pretty awesome to see a Kingdom Hearts reference.

This looks pretty awesome, and the fact that they have actual game characters is both surprising and rather enjoyable. Looking forward to seeing this.

This is gonna be sweet.

MUST. SEE.

"Well, why are you so freakishly annoying?"

Pedro The Hutt:
If this was done by Pixar I'd be sleeping soundly, but Disney can be a bit hit & miss. But we'll find out this autumn.

Yep. That's rather sad to me. Zangief isn't a villain now and never really was a villain. M.Bison has always been the big bad of the SF universe and they actually go so far as to put him in the same meeting scene. Then they give the villain speaking role to Zangief.

*sigh*

Sorry. I can respect their willingness to actually go out and source real characters to use, but they can't be bothered to actually determine who's a bad guy and who isn't for a meeting scene explicitly about videogame bad guys? Given that I can't say I have much faith in how they use any other things they're paying for the rights to.

Paragon Fury:
MUST. SEE.

"Well, why are you so freakishly annoying?"

I wonder if being voiced by Sarah Silverman has anything to do with it.

StriderShinryu:

Pedro The Hutt:

Yep. That's rather sad to me. Zangief isn't a villain now and never really was a villain.

From what I've heard, the games are actually one of the few places where he ISN'T a villain of some kind.

Space Jawa:

StriderShinryu:

Pedro The Hutt:

Yep. That's rather sad to me. Zangief isn't a villain now and never really was a villain.

From what I've heard, the games are actually one of the few places where he ISN'T a villain of some kind.

The only place where Zangief has even been a villain is in the terrible live action Street Fighter movie that starred Van Damme. He appeared in the Street Fighter animated movie as well for a quick fight with Blanka but was just in the role of a rather random combatant fighting for money at a party hosted by Balrog/Boxer. In the games he's always been a neutral character who fights for the glory of his country and his no villainous intention what so ever. So, pretty much not a villain. Unless, of course, the simple fact that he fights for Russia makes him a villain.

Eh. It certainly has potential, but I'm not making my final judgement quite yet. That whole "Obnoxious copying" routine at the end did little to impress me.

Hmm. I don't know. Well, its worth keeping an eye on it I think. For now at least.

Also, I may not be up to date on my street fighter mythos but last I checked zangief wasn't a bad guy.

Looks promising to me. The fact that they were able to license actual video game characters to make cameos was a nice touch.

Wow, actual videogame characters in a movie about videogame characters. Damn good job there, Disney.
Really, though, it doesn't look so bad. I'm not sure Zangeif-Zancheif-Zandeif-Bandaid-whatever-is a bad guy or not, but...well, M.Bison. 1/2 correct Street Fighter bad guys isn't bad.

I very much like the concept here. There's a lot of potential comedic awesomeness here.

But there's the niggling details that they wrong. If they are going to have actual characters that we recognize, then they ought to nail the characterizations. Otherwise things don't click right. Zangief was never a villain. They need some kind of videogame plot consultant, or at least a random sampling of their target audience.

I hope they don't miss some of the subtler jokes. It's an easy one that Bowser kidnaps the Princess all the time. It's less obvious (but funnier) that in half the games they are karting or playing tennis and that it's even odds who'd win in a fist fight.

I really hope that the "copying me" gag is not the best they can come up with.

WHOA WHOA, wait a second, I've seen this entire concept before!

I remember this french animation short movie which had the exact same idea and it ended with the final boss (the main character) after trying out roles in other video games ending up in a dance dance revolution type of game.

Can't find it on Youtube and I'm quite mad that the title just won't pop into my head right now, but I'm calling it right here, right now:

Wreck-It Ralph is a *dramatic noise* rip-off!

EDIT: HA! FOUND IT! It was called 'Mauvais Rôle'!

youtube.com/watch?v=oVUDsq7tjEU
kotaku.com/355302/when-the-final-boss-is-sick-of-being-the-final-boss

Oh fuck yes. Mama likes so far.

Definitely on my list of movies to go see.

Don't fuck it up Disney. You have potential here.

Veylon:
But there's the niggling details that they wrong. If they are going to have actual characters that we recognize, then they ought to nail the characterizations. Otherwise things don't click right. Zangief was never a villain. They need some kind of videogame plot consultant, or at least a random sampling of their target audience.

Consider, on the other hand, the details that they've put into some of the characters. Such as the way that Clyde floats back, forth, up, and down in a style that matches up with the way he does in the games. Or how they included the text as part of Q*Berts' language. And then you've got Bison who looks like he's got his arms crossed whenever he's not using them for something. Zangief as a bad guy strikes me as a deliberate choice for some reason rather than just ignorance.

The main characters looks are based on the celebrities that voice them. I like that detail.

I know it's not canon, hell, it's only just a movie, but the live action SF movie casts Zangief as working for Bison, althought it does seem he's so incredibly thick that he doesn't know he's a bad guy :) Of course, Deejay is on Bison's books too, so...

I just hope that A) it's good, and B) it does so well, it launches a franchise, there's a chance of it helping videogames be more accepted by the majority if Disney are doing a movie about it.

Imagine all the Fox watchers seeing the movie and realising there's videogames out there where you're not raping kittens and decapitating orphans.

Aiddon:
another screen shot has Chun-li:

http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads//2012/06/wreck-it-ralph-plaza.jpg?d58414

I have no clue what the purple woman, the devil guy, and the robot are from though. Might be generic stand-ins.

I just saw a bulky Commander Shepard and Agent 47 (possibly) from Hitman in the crowd.

I... yes! Just yes. Do want. Do. Fucking. Want. Now.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here