Hitman Studio Apologizes For Nun Massacre

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Hitman Studio Apologizes For Nun Massacre

IO Interactive says it wasn't trying to stir up controversy with last week's Hitman: Absolution trailer.

By now you've no doubt seen and probably formed an opinion about last week's trailer for Hitman: Absolution, but on the off-chance that you've missed it, it goes more or less like this: a group of smokin' hot nun assassins wearing light bondage undergarments attacks Agent 47 and he messes them up badly. Some people thought the video was silly, others found it offensive, and still more were offended by the apparently shabby treatment being given to their beloved Hitman franchise.

But Hitman studio IO Interactive apparently saw none of it coming. "We're sorry that we offended people - that was truly not the intention of the trailer," Game Director Tore Blystad told IGN. "We were surprised that it turned into such a huge topic. Something similar happened with our Sniper Challenge pre-order bonus... We just wanted to make something cool, it wasn't the intention to stir up anything."

The trailer is actually based on a level in the upcoming Hitman: Absolution called "Attack of the Saints," in which the Agency sends a team of female assassins to punch 47's ticket once and for all. As for why they're dressed like nuns, Blystad explained that it's a combination of the game's natural extremism and the influence of film directors like Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez.

"The grindhouse theme is something that we're using throughout the game," he said. "It tends more towards sixties exploitation movies - these were a fascination [for us] because they were so extreme."

I can buy Blystad's story that the trailer wasn't meant to be taken quite so seriously, but his statement that it wasn't intended to "provoke" people is nonsense. The specific purpose of promotional trailers is to inspire a response; otherwise, what's the point? I also have a hard time believing that nobody at IO saw any potential problems with the video. They aren't "real nuns" (or even real people) but given the relative immaturity and insecurity of the videogame industry, surely somebody, somewhere, must have paused for a moment to consider the implications of graphically wiping out a squad of Holy Sisters. Not that I'm suggesting the video shouldn't have been released, but claiming surprise over a not-entirely-positive reaction to it strikes me as just a tad disingenuous.

Hitman: Absolution comes out on November 12 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Source: IGN

Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez's female characters weren't afraid to show off their boobs, but at least they didn't act like them.

Andy Chalk:
Not that I'm suggesting the video shouldn't have been released, but claiming surprise over a not-entirely-positive reaction to it strikes me as just a tad disingenuous.

And to prove my point, I'm going to show that video one more time so it can provoke you some more.

I don't see the issue with the nun outfits. That's a pretty good cover up.

But why they were dressed as strippers or whatever in order to assassinate someone is pretty dumb.

They should have pulled a Neo where they rip off the nun outfits and are just loaded up with weapons - and appropriate clothes for a gun fight.

But whatever.

Andy Chalk:
I also have a hard time believing that nobody at IO saw any potential problems with the video.

I do as well. But if it is indeed true, it might be indicative of an even greater problematic.

well I hope when the game comes out and we play this part it better be fucking awesome.

Oh, they don't have to apologise. They just have to do better next time. I mean it's not like they were the first to do this kind of thing, or even the most offensive. Besides it isn't like they haven't done similar things in the past with nobody getting really mad. They probably did think that it would get some people upset, but I think because of how things have been before now none of them probably thought it was going to be this big.

That said, they should just not do this next time, and everyone will be happy. Well, most everyone anyway.

Wolfram23:

But why they were dressed as strippers or whatever in order to assassinate someone is pretty dumb.

They should have pulled a Neo where they rip off the nun outfits and are just loaded up with weapons - and appropriate clothes for a gun fight.

But whatever.

This is the biggest issue I've had with the whole argument over the video. Everyone seems to be questioning "why were they dressed like that to assassinate someone?" yet no one questions "why is he wearing a formal suit to assassinate someone?". The answer to both questions is the same, but only one is being asked.

Side note: The sexy nun as killers/killers disguised as nuns or priests thing has been done so many damn times in cinema that it really shouldn't have even garnered any attention. This just goes to show how immature the gaming media is.

Wolfram23:

Yeah, that was my reaction. I wasn't offended, I just rolled my eyes at the silliness of it. I didn't see the bondage look thing as anything but a blatant in your face attention grab. In the end I thought it took what could have been a cool, rough, violent scene and turned it into just another desperate look at me trailer...

Although I think it was a bit silly(the undergarments, not the nun outfits), and not really representive of the hitman series, I think this has been way overblown. Way worse things then this are done on a daily basis in the gaming industry and it doesnt recive an ounce of the attention this has gotten. A true example of making a chicken farm out of a feather, and just badly placed priorities.

So... I think nunssassin should be a word now.

Hmmm that trailer was pretty awesome, I don't really see what the fuss is about. So they had nun/stripper outfits on? So what? They clearly weren't actual nuns, some people get far too worked up about things. I could quite happily go through a game shooting real nuns without any problems, just like I went through No Russian shooting everyone and throwing all my grenades in random directions without feeling bad about it, know why? Because it's a game and it shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Obviously, it was self defense, so it's OK...

...and i'm not sure they were real nuns anyways...

mindlesspuppet:

Wolfram23:

But whatever.

This is the biggest issue I've had with the whole argument over the video. Everyone seems to be questioning "why were they dressed like that to assassinate someone?" yet no one questions "why is he wearing a formal suit to assassinate someone?". The answer to both questions is the same, but only one is being asked.

Side note: The sexy nun as killers/killers disguised as nuns or priests thing has been done so many damn times in cinema that it really shouldn't have even garnered any attention. This just goes to show how immature the gaming media is.

I would think the "sexy" nun outfit isn't so much a disguise as a distraction. Taking out a male target, who being male may be susceptible to a pair of tits or bare leg being just enough of a distraction to allow said female assassins to gain an edge over an otherwise deadly foe... That it didn't work and he didn't even bat an eye except to get the fuck out the way of the RPG is a testament to just how inhuman 47 still is. I feel the character didn't see a bunch of strippered up nuns with guns, but just another in a long series of PEOPLE TRYING TO KILL HIM. And he's already shown in the past to not really care one way or another about sexuality, he just does his job.

I swear these days people will go apeshit over anything just to have an issue to bitch about.

amaranth_dru:

mindlesspuppet:

Wolfram23:

But whatever.

I would think the "sexy" nun outfit isn't so much a disguise as a distraction. Taking out a male target, who being male may be susceptible to a pair of tits or bare leg being just enough of a distraction to allow said female assassins to gain an edge over an otherwise deadly foe... That it didn't work and he didn't even bat an eye except to get the fuck out the way of the RPG is a testament to just how inhuman 47 still is. I feel the character didn't see a bunch of strippered up nuns with guns, but just another in a long series of PEOPLE TRYING TO KILL HIM. And he's already shown in the past to not really care one way or another about sexuality, he just does his job.

I swear these days people will go apeshit over anything just to have an issue to bitch about.

I am going to have to agree with you. I personally had no issue with the trailer (I just did not like it) but I really did not see anything sexist or all that shocking for that matter. Coupled with the idea that their garbs were designed to distract a male target made good sense (in a very silly sort of way), it is just pure fantasy.

The main thing I think people are reacting about though is the current portrayl of women in videogames and the perceived difficulty women have being gamers and such because what you saw tends to stray towards the norm instead of the exception and thus people let out a cry of frustration rather than true rage. Others just saw it as an opportunity to get mad. (Jeeze, I hope that makes sense)

When I saw the title "Hitman Studio Apologizes For Nun Massacre" I thought "Oh dear, did he go and kill nuns? I can see why that would upset people".

But then I watched the video. They have nothing to apologize for as no nuns where killed in this video. People are being oversensitive. I think killing strippers stressed as nuns who, after all, where there to kill him is miles away from killing Holy Sisters. I call self-defence.

I don't see why there's a problem.

They weren't nuns obviously... nuns can't be that hot I mean... uh, nuns don't use machine guns, and uh, grenade launchers.

Captcha: nul points

I actually have two problems with this. First of all I think it is degrading to women and if it was supposed to be a parody, it did not come through because it seemed like it was all serious business. Secondly, I find it sacrilegious because having the sisters show up as nuns and take off their clothes to reveal stripper outfits upsets me as a christian. If they revealed that they were carrying appropriate clothing and weaponry for a fight, I wouldn't have as much problem. The sexy nun outfit, I believe, is an insult to my religion because nuns are some of the best human beings on this Earth and to show them as being sex fiends underneath it all shows a great disrespect for what they do. That is why I am angry people.

So what if it pisses people off, who the hell cares. Alot of things in this world that makes people mad and I just shrug my shoulders and move on. Why say your sorry for something you wanted to do in a videogame. You know they should of went all out and made the most offensive trailer they could pull off. Every single nun gets killed and then cut up and placed into body bags. Really funny if Agent 47 dropped off the bags in front of a church with a smile on his face.

I call back-pedalling on this one. Yeah you should apologize for the shitty trailer. Heck it wasn't even an original kind of shit which is even shittier. Now go back to your room. There is no church for you since you clearly lack self control of a decent human being.

capthca:ladies, first

Alright you are grounded too

I have no problem with them being dressed like nuns. My problem begins when they take off the nun outfits. How are those outfits normal or practical in anyway? I don't care that he gunned down a group of women either. Just what they were wearing.

Nothing wrong with being sexy in combat, but that just didn't fit Hitman or anything for Combat. No ammo clips on them, no pouches, nothing to hold a knife. All these things just kinda were in their hands and thats just bad design. NOW GO TO YOUR ROOM, HITMAN TEAM AND THINK OF SEXY, BUT ACTUAL WORKING CLOTHES FOR THE NUNS TO WEAR AND SHOW US AGAIN!

Joking aside, the best way to handle this would be to come up with actual working outfits for combat. The best thing I could think of, if they really wanted to keep the sexy in there is just what Laura Croft wears. One regular shirt, some holsters on arm / arms for gun / guns then shorts with pouches on the belt with ammo or gadgets then more holsters on the legs for more guns then finally combat boots or hiking boots. For extra tactical points, add in a gun thats slung over their shoulder.

I am disappointed, I didn't expect them to backpedal.

Andy Chalk:
I can buy Blystad's story that the trailer wasn't meant to be taken quite so seriously, but his statement that it wasn't intended to "provoke" people is nonsense.

GAEMING JOURLANIZM!

Perhaps they were trying to sell the action and the sexuality of the game, not trying to make controversy a selling point.

Aprilgold:
No ammo clips on them

Might have worked in WWI or WWII. Today our firearms use the more advanced magazines.

NvrPhazed:
First of all I think it is degrading to women

In what part? Several highly trained women in "femdom" costumes were obviously considered powerful enough to take on 47.

Just because they didn't know they were facing a freak created in a lab with the purpose of being a killing machine doesn't mean it's degrading.

That's like saying that it's degrading for men to have soldiers die from IEDs in Afghanistan.

ElPatron:

Aprilgold:
No ammo clips on them

Might have worked in WWI or WWII. Today our firearms use the more advanced magazines.

Ammo Clips are just another name for magazines still or am I that behind the times.

ElPatron:
In what part? Several highly trained women in "femdom" costumes were obviously considered powerful enough to take on 47.

Come on. Everybody knows women can't be sexual AND powerful at the same time.

Aprilgold:
Ammo Clips are just another name for magazines still or am I that behind the times.

Only Hollywood and gangsters think they are synonyms.

The reason they are not the same thing is because a firearm that is reloaded with clips still requires a magazine (with a spring mechanism) inside it otherwise it wouldn't feed. Clips feed magazines, magazines feed the gun.

idarkphoenixi:
A bunch of S&M dominatrix latex wearing nuns get brutally beaten up and killed by a big bald guy.....and they say they wasn't trying to offend anyone? I mean really - How could they not see a reaction like that coming?

Perhaps they assumed that people would not get upset and just let it go instead of trying to create yet another storm in a cup.

Internet Hate Machine assemble!

A bunch of S&M dominatrix latex wearing nuns get brutally beaten up and killed by a big bald guy.....and they say they wasn't trying to offend anyone? I mean really - How could they not see a reaction like that coming?

I'm fine with killing women in a movie/video game if it serves a purpose but when you hyper-sexualize them like that, it just sticks me. That entire trailer made absolutely no sense at all, it just seemed like an excuse to stir up some controversy (after all, ever since the "no Russian" MW2, every game needs controversy otherwise they can't sell enough copies).

ElPatron:

Aprilgold:

Only Hollywood and gangsters think they are synonyms.

The reason they are not the same thing is because a firearm that is reloaded with clips still requires a magazine (with a spring mechanism) inside it otherwise it wouldn't feed. Clips feed magazines, magazines feed the gun.

Building on that, some firearms do use clips, like the M1 Garand, which used a stripper clip with eight rounds. They were less bulky than magazines, but the downside was that you couldn't reload in the middle. When you fired off the last round, the clip ejected with an audible *ping*.

Buretsu:
Building on that, some firearms do use clips, like the M1 Garand, which used a stripper clip with eight rounds. They were less bulky than magazines, but the downside was that you couldn't reload in the middle. When you fired off the last round, the clip ejected with an audible *ping*.

It's an en-bloc clip.

It still needs the internal magazine to work, though. And you can reload in the middle. I remember that Call of Duty and Medal of Honor convinced me that you can't reload a Garand without expending all the ammunition. I was wrong, lol.

Gandanga11:
I mean 47 does wear a suit which is also highly unpractical. I love how people are angry at sexy nuns in a Hitman trailer but were silent when Duke Nukem Forever came out and was infinitely more vulgar.

Suits are not that impractical.

Perhaps a ninja costume would allow him to kick more ass and run faster (and on walls!) but he would stand out in the crowd.

Suits allow for weapons to be somewhat concealed while easy to draw at the same time. Plus, he is able to change outfits all the time.

I mean 47 does wear a suit which is also highly unpractical. I love how people are angry at sexy nuns in a Hitman trailer but were silent when Duke Nukem Forever came out and was infinitely more vulgar.

Pull the other one IO, the trailer was a blatant attention grab, as is this apology.

Assuming the apology isn't all part of a planned PR scheme, there's no real need for it. They just needed to learn from it and not do it next time. Personally, I wasn't offended as such by the trailer, but I did roll my eyes and think "here we go again..." I've accepted that large parts of this industry have yet to grow up, and take comfort in other parts that do seem to have got over the "LOL TITS" stage (incidentally, I'm loving the redesign of Lara Croft).

Wolfram23:

Now this would have been AWESOME :)

mindlesspuppet:

A man in a suit doesn't attract attention. just another face in the crowd. 7 attractive women in s&m gear is the opposite.

People are really making mountains out of molehills.

Helmholtz Watson:

Is that a breast joke?

I can't say anything since I liked it. I though it was cool seeing them come dressed as nun. Good cover then they even uses a rosyery as a weapon. They where shown to be just as much a threat as anything else not just a pair of breast to oogle. Remind me of the hooker in the last hitman who turned out to be an assassin herself. If you got it use it. Then at the end Agent 47 shows respect by closeing the eyes.

Buretsu:

Helmholtz Watson:

Is that a breast joke?

...lol, I guess it is now.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook