Wii U Miiverse Will Use Human Screening

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Wii U Miiverse Will Use Human Screening

Nintendo employees will be on hand to make sure you don't write ****, **** or *********.

Gamers are, in my experience, prone to the desultory expletive, the occasional racial slur and the odd crudely-drawn phallus et scrotum combo. Their admirable determination to be base and awful to one another over the internet, no matter how hard service providers try to stop them, is legendary. So how does Nintendo intend to keep its Miiverse social network, which allows players to post drawings and scribbles they create on the Wii U's touch screen controller, clean and family friendly? According to Nintendo's chief executive, Satoru Iwata, Nintendo is going to use three separate systems.

First, all the content on the service will be fed through traditional content filtering software, which searches out all those unpleasant words kids hear in the schoolyard every day, and replaces them with harmless asterisks. Nothing your average teenager with a little bit of imagination and access to the odd mathematical symbol can't find his way around.

Then the posted content will be passed on to a human employee - one who can quite rightly claim to have the worst job in the world - who scans it for unpleasantness. Naturally using fallible, bathroom-break-taking flesh bags to check the content means there's going to be some delay between the content being submitted and it actually going up on the Miiverse feed. That'll likely depend on how many users are using the service (and presumably, on the suicide rate amongst the people Nintendo hires to check these messages), but according to Iwata anything up to a 30 minute wait would be "acceptable."

"The attraction of a social network is the immediacy of the feedback," he said. "On the other hand, it's absolutely essential that parents need to feel comfortable with Miiverse as a safe place for their children."

Finally, users can flag inappropriate content, should it make it past Nintendo's screening.

Personally, I'm not surprised. In the age of online consoles, Nintendo's family-friendly image relies on the company protecting its customer's darling offspring from the various horrors that inhabit the internet. The company hasn't been shy about reducing user convenience to achieve that goal: the unwieldy friend codes that hamstrung the Wii's multiplayer experience, being the most obvious example.

See all our coverage directly from the E3 2012 show floor.

Source: LA Times

it's kinda sad how gamers' immaturity has become so infamous and prevalent that Nintendo is forced to do this.

Nintendo wants everyone to be able to use this service...so they need to keep it PG...

...and i'm OK with that...

Carry on, Nintendo

We have noone to blame but ourselves.

What is with the insecurity guys? It is not a gamer exclusive habit. If some jerk have some kind of power, he will exploit it. I doubt Nintendo's policy will change much.

I'll just repeat what I said on another site...

You know, a small part of me somewhat applauds the effort. You'll never find a more wretched cesspool of humanity than gamers online.

But you can't fight it. You just can't. You can't fight the dicks. The dicks shall overwhelm all. The dicks shall consume everything! THE DICKS CANNOT BE STOPPED!

Plus, if they also monitor private messages, this will go from "futile" to "suicidal".

Those seven dirty words you can't say on TV or WiiU.
Meh, Some people can be real *****, and I don't have a problem with censoring curse words.

I was prepared for people to be outraged at this. I was pleasantly surprised. If Nintendo also has the guys doing this submit a list of common expletive replacements that they encounter it should also cut down on the time it takes to do all this.

Nintendo: Babysitting your kids so you don't have to.

DVS BSTrD:
Those seven dirty words you can't say on TV or WiiU.
Meh, Some people can be real *****, and I don't have a problem with censoring curse words.

**** yeah, you're **** right!

If they can actually manage to keep up with something like this, they deserve a medal of the highest honor. Good luck, Nintendo. It sounds like thankless work, but I'm happy someone is going to try this.

...Won't they just ending-up using Facebook? I'm sorry but it's just like saying that Steam users will use Origin instead.

So basically if you're over 16 the Wii-u is not for u. Nintendo, since you're still new to dealing with people online I'll let this slide in the hopes you learn something, people are dicks online.

Lol the post had me fooled... thinking that i might have turned on the language filter myself.

OTT: really ? I dont think the manual screening method they want to use is going to work in the long run. I doubt it will work if one day people ran some sort of protest by sending copious amount of offensive drawings... and one day im sure someone will start screamig OH NOES ITS SENSORSHIP...

Cookies for those who can guess what will happen next and who.

So there are going to be legions of Nintendo employees chained to rows of desks in a gigantic warehouse, all trying to keep me from saying naughty things?

I graciously accept their challenge.

I'm okay with this. Not a single person likes a 12-year-old who does nothing but swear online "because it's cool", except other like-minded 12-year-olds. Adults don't want to put up with overly vulgar kids, and parents don't want their kids to be exposed to vulgarity, so the only people I see suffering from this are the social status-obsessed (pre-)teens who are likely to dismiss Nintendo anyway. If I really wanted to make dirty jokes about a game, I have the rest of the internet to do it. I seriously don't mind if the only updates I can make are sfw on my console.

There's no problem with this... but I'm interested to see if they can gather the man-power to do it. I actually kind of hope it fails so we can point to it as an example of how manual screening isn't feasible before governments start requesting more of it.

Oh hey Nintendo, how's that whole "attracting a more hardcore audience" thing going for you? Huh? Not so well? Gah, that's a shame.

But seriously, if they ever actually wanted a more traditional gamer consumer fanbase (after seeing Nintendo at E3, I really fucking doubt it) then they kinda needed to sacrifice some of that pleasant family image, just stick with regular language filters, sure dudes will get around it, but at least you can assure snobbish parents that you're doing all you can to protect all the precious children, you might be lying, but no one needs to know that.
Stupid children, they fucking ruin everything...
Oh, and I'm placing a bet right now, that this manual filtering will also remove any derogatory statement aimed at Nintendo or any of their products, jus sayin'.

yeah, so i misread that as Wii U Miiverse Will Use Human Screaming, which i think would be far more interesting

OT:considering how large they seem to be planning on making this there is gunna be a lot of slip ups, or a lot of lag between comment and posting

Aiddon:
it's kinda sad how gamers' immaturity has become so infamous and prevalent that Nintendo is forced to do this.

Welcome to the internet.

I hope Nintendo succeeds in this, but I don't think it's feasible to monitor everything that's posted. I don't think it will work.

Points for the effort though.

ScruffyMcBalls:

Says the guy inserting unnecessary expletives into his posts concerning the unnecessary use of expletives on Nintendo's platform(s).

:P

I'll be surprised if every single file uploaded and shared will be manually screened, however. Must be a logistical nightmare, how long do they intend to keep it up? Surely not for the entire lifespan of the console.

Aiddon:

Nintendo has always been censorship-happy. Whatever though, make excuses for them. What's your excuse for friend codes?

ScruffyMcBalls:
Oh hey Nintendo, how's that whole "attracting a more hardcore audience" thing going for you? Huh? Not so well? Gah, that's a shame.

But seriously, if they ever actually wanted a more traditional gamer consumer fanbase (after seeing Nintendo at E3, I really fucking doubt it) then they kinda needed to sacrifice some of that pleasant family image, just stick with regular language filters, sure dudes will get around it, but at least you can assure snobbish parents that you're doing all you can to protect all the precious children, you might be lying, but no one needs to know that.
Oh, and I'm placing a bet right now, that this manual filtering will also remove any derogatory statement aimed at Nintendo or any of their products, jus sayin'.

So you would rather Nintendo just make Xbox Live: Nintendo Version? Where gamers can be free to call each other faggots, and tell them they fucked their moms! How lovely! If Nintendo didn't do this people like you would then complain about "OMG there are so many dicks why didn't Nintendo do something!"

Crono1973:

Aiddon:

Nintendo has always been censorship-happy. Whatever though, make excuses for them. What's your excuse for friend codes?

They're not putting friend codes into this, ffs. And what's the problem with censoring something like this, it's not supposed to be like Xbox Live. It's supposed to be a thing that gamers can use to discuss GAMES, not to draw dicks and explain how they fucked each other's moms.

ToastiestZombie:

Crono1973:

Aiddon:

They're not putting friend codes into this, ffs. And what's the problem with censoring something like this, it's not supposed to be like Xbox Live. It's supposed to be a thing that gamers can use to discuss GAMES, not to draw dicks and explain how they fucked each other's moms.

Are you going to answer my question, what's your excuse for friend codes? Nintendo censoring religious aspects of games released in NA goes back to the NES.

You go ahead and blame gamers but Nintendo isn't new to censorship.

Crono1973:

ToastiestZombie:

Crono1973:

Are you going to answer my question, what's your excuse for friend codes? Nintendo censoring religious aspects of games released in NA goes back to the NES.

I don't have an excuse for friend codes because even I think they were crap, even though I like the look of the Wii u doesn't mean I have to agree with EVERYTHING Nintendo's put out. And what does Nintendo's silly censorship back in the 80's have anything to do with Nintendo now? Look at games such as Madworld, No More Heroes and Call of Duty: World at War. All of them came out on the Wii, and all of them had blood, guts, swearing, some religious themes and more. It's not like Nintendo's going to be censoring any games, it's going to be keeping the Miiverse service to not be covered in dicks and kids who have fucked our moms.

Wow, I'm positively surprised at this feedback. I was expecting idiots with no idea of how the first amendment is supposed to work bitching about their rights to insult people.

Instead people are applauding the effort. I think we're evolving into the right direction.

ToastiestZombie:

Crono1973:

ToastiestZombie:

I don't have an excuse for friend codes because even I think they were crap, even though I like the look of the Wii u doesn't mean I have to agree with EVERYTHING Nintendo's put out. And what does Nintendo's silly censorship back in the 80's have anything to do with Nintendo now? Look at games such as Madworld, No More Heroes and Call of Duty: World at War. All of them came out on the Wii, and all of them had blood, guts, swearing, some religious themes and more. It's not like Nintendo's going to be censoring any games, it's going to be keeping the Miiverse service to not be covered in dicks and kids who have fucked our moms.

It shows that Nintendo has a pattern of censorship and that they are going to apply that to the WiiU as well. Blaming gamers for Nintendo's censorship policies is just wrong. Would you be ok with a 30 minute censorship wait on this site or any other site you may post on?

So it took Nintendo 20 years to stop censoring religion in their games? How long before they let gamers communicate with each other without a nanny? Another 20 years!

Crono1973:

ToastiestZombie:

Crono1973:

It shows that Nintendo has a pattern of censorship and that they are going to apply that to the WiiU as well. Blaming gamers for Nintendo's censorship policies is just wrong. Would you be ok with a 30 minute censorship wait on this site or any other site you may post on?

So it took Nintendo 20 years to stop censoring religion in their games? How long before they let gamers communicate with each other without a nanny? Another 20 years!

This is a forum, Miiverse is not. The Miiverse is something that you see whenever you turn on the Wii U, so why would anyone want to see drawings of dicks, drawings of two people fucking eachother and drawings of shit and piss for a service that's aiming to provide a means for gamers to help eachother. Seriously, if you're not going to buy a Wii U then just ignore the fucking thing. You're not fighting for people's rights to free speech, you're fighting for peoples rights to insult each other. I bet if Microsoft did something like this with their next Xbox, they would do the same.

The irony of crying about immaturity while applauding censorship is immense.

I think this is sad, but at the same time, Nintendo is 100% irrelevant to me. So whatever.

ToastiestZombie:

Crono1973:

ToastiestZombie:

This is a forum, Miiverse is not. The Miiverse is something that you see whenever you turn on the Wii U, so why would anyone want to see drawings of dicks, drawings of two people fucking eachother and drawings of shit and piss for a service that's aiming to provide a means for gamers to help eachother. Seriously, if you're not going to buy a Wii U then just ignore the fucking thing. You're not fighting for people's rights to free speech, you're fighting for peoples rights to insult each other. I bet if Microsoft did something like this with their next Xbox, they would do the same.

I am not fighting for free speech or for people to insult each other. I don't even play online but I do think that anyone who blames gamers for Nintendo's censorship isn't looking at Nintendo's history.

Enjoy your Miiverse, it is just a WiiU version of friend codes direct from Nintendo's nanny service.

So, everything that gets posted on the Wii U Miiverse will have been vetted by a Nintendo employee and officially approved by Nintendo?

Nintendo will have to be on the ball 24/7, because if anything unsuitable does manage to get past the censors, that unsuitable content will have been officially approved by Nintendo no matter how unsavoury it may turn out to be.

I can see this being very problematic for Nintendo if they don't pick up on something and allow it to be posted, since they're taking on a lot of responsibility by approving all of the content that gets posted.

While it's not dissimilar to Microsoft's E for Everyone age rating for profiles and bio content, the key difference is that Microsoft isn't accountable for the unsuitable content and only takes action against the user after the fact (i.e. reactive moderation rather than the pre-moderation can-of-worms that Nintendo seem to have opted for).

With Nintendo officially approving all of the Miiverse posts, they're wholly responsible for that content and culpable if something unsuitable gets seen by a child, which could open them up to lawsuits if something nasty gets past their censors.

The fact that users can flag inappropriate content seems irrelevant, as users shouldn't have to flag content that has been through 2 filters and approved by Nintendo employees prior to being posted.

It would make more sense for the Wii U Miiverse feeds to be optional, something that the user has to opt in to and thus take responsibility for what they see, rather than being automatically imposed by Nintendo (who are responsible for the posts).

That up to 30 minute wait time is a sticking point for me, but other then that I don't really have a problem with this.

I doubt I'll ever use it anyway.

ToastiestZombie:

I think about it this way: maybe if gamers hadn't become infamous for willy drawings on the net maybe Nintendo wouldn't have had to resort to this. It's probably for the best.

Why not set an age barrier in the Mii-Verse? The precious kiddies can be segregated from the people who are able to handle reading the word "shit." Everyone can use it, but the kiddies can't come into Teen and Adult-land.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here