Kickstarter Video Project Attracts Misogynist Horde

Pages PREV 1 . . . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . . . 35 NEXT

I really don't get what there is to be upset about. I mean she's just making some videos about gender in video games, hasn't the Extra Credits team done that dozens of times? I'm not sure why that merits a kickstarter but if people are willing to give their money to it that's their business.

People need to relax and stop being dicks on the internet.

Yeah, the "documentary" (it's not really going to be one) is fucking stupid.

"HEY GUYS LOOK THERES STEREOTYPES IN MEDIA LETS FOCUS ON THE ONES ABOUT WOMEN GIMME MONEY PLS AHUEHUEHUEHUE"

No. Fuck off. Take your bullshit elsewhere, until you learn how to make an actual documentary. Thank you.

As for the people commenting, well, it happens. I don't see why the Escapist is running an article on it - white knight syndrome, perhaps.

It's not nice, but it's hardly an uncommon thing, and I don't see why this one should stick out from the millions of videos on Youtube that got the user insults and threats.

Also, one more thing - can you guys please stop talking about gamers as though they are some collective? "Omg dis totally shows this and that about us gamers" - no. There is no "us" or "we". This is a bunch of stupid cunts who have to much time on their hands writing stupid shit on the internet. I have nothing to do with them. I am not one of them just because I play games, and neither is anyone else.

It's like saying the reputation of vegetarians and pet owners was massively harmed by Hitler. (There, Godwinned this bitch. Let's let it die now.)

Sonic Doctor:

Kahunaburger:

Sonic Doctor:
snip

Once again, there isn't any actual evidence to support the conclusions you are jumping to. Out of curiosity, on a scale of 1-10 (1 being "strongly disagree" and 10 being "agree,") where do you fall re: Feminist Frequency videos?

Five. There have always bee things when it comes to feminism that I think are a good point, and things I think are just overreactions.

But the discussion is about such things in video games.

I really don't see over-sexualized females in games as problem, it is just marketing to a real demographic. The problem is that there aren't a lot of normal, down to earth stylizations of women in games, but I'm not going to take someone seriously if they say there aren't any, or that the ones there are aren't to exact prefect standards for a proper representation of women(because, having encountered many everyday women, there really is no exact perfect representation, or ones that will be admitted to).

I think that's where much of the hatred come from. You first have the Feminist right on the channel, and a lot of men have stgymitized Femenist=Anti-men. It's not true that all Feminist are anti-male, but there have been enough loud women to make a trope of it.

The second I feel is that a lot of these men feel threatened that their supply of eyecandy is going to be cut off. Any form of change like that, and a lot of boys are going to get pissed. I'm more concerned is what part of males are doing this?

Extreme Anti-Feminist for certain. But Traditionalist would not be against such a move. I'm thinking it may just be douchebags, and sadly enough of them to make a horde. It's good to ignore douchebags, it's bad to ignore it when there are enough of them on the same wave length.

Phasmal:

Rakor:

Phasmal:

That is probably one of the most nonsensical things I've read recently.
What strangled thread of logic links those things together?

The most nonsensical? You don't read very interesting things then. I do tend to ramble from one point to the next a bit too easily admittedly.

Well, firstly the fingernails and hoop earrings aren't the major reason for potential hissy fitting. They just seem to stick out somehow and are kinda prime examples of stuff that are in line with the feminine stereotype. Not saying makeup and jewelry are bad, just the large earrings and frikkin green fingernails are not particularly subtle. Maybe I rather dislike oddly colored fingernails, hmm. Really kind of a minor jab I had about it.

I can sort of perhaps see that but not really.
Just because you're against stereotyping and lazy tropes in games doesn't mean you have to be like: `People want women to be pretty?! FUCK THAT I WILL COVER MYSELF IN SHIT!`.

Reminds me of the time some guy tried to tell me I couldn't be a feminist and wear heels.

Whoa, simmer down Nancy. It just kind of sticks out a bit especially when there's a closeup on the controller. I apparently also find the fingernails a bit gaudy, I guess. Now, as all you've done is mock a side point I made, I don't know which side of the fence you are on in this issue. But, you are making the assertion that the existence of elements of a stereotype does not proclaim acceptance of said stereotype. So what's wrong with video game characters exhibiting them. Princess Peach is not a portrayal of women, she is a portrayal of one fictional woman, named Princess Peach. Why is it an issue that she wears heels (among other things but you get what I mean).

I am putting far more thought into this thread than I expected to.

I mean really my offense to this whole deal is her convincing people to give her $49,000 to rant about caricatures.

And another thing, why is someone a feminist and not a humanist if they want equality.

Now, just to be clear, I did not go off on a tangent directed at my quotee. Just stemmed off to a tangent from her point. I tend to do that.

Jiggy:

Eamar:

Wow, just... wow. You're saying that including some female characters who aren't sexist stereotypes might alienate the existing audience? I think a large number of male gamers might want a word with you if that's your honest opinion of them.

You mean the one's that pretend it isn't so? I think I can cope. I've yet to hear back from the guy stating that the risk totally isn't there on why they wouldn't already be doing it.

I have the good fortune of being friends IRL with plenty of male gamers who don't think this way. By which I mean sure, they enjoy the odd bit of eye candy (as do I, I am by no means saying there's no place for that, please don't get me wrong), but they are also capable of functioning in society without reducing every female to a sex object. They don't run screaming from a game, film or book because they felt alienated by a believable female character, or because there aren't enough boobs.

If you honestly think like that then you sir sound either very young, very inexperienced, or just plain misanthropic. Sorry, but that's how it comes across.

Also, I've also yet to hear a description of what constitutes this non-stereotypical female character, go ahead, give it a shot, I'm seriously interested in how many people will agree with you.

A few examples already exist, we'd just like to see more of them. Alyx Vance (Half-Life 2), original Samus (Metroid series), Kat (Halo Reach), Wynne (DA:O. Bonus points for also being an exceptionally rare example of an older woman who's not just a background NPC). That's about all I've got, but there's some variety in there. A case could be made for FemShep since she's whatever you want her to be and they don't add in any obnoxious "girly" stuff for her.

1: It makes no sense that in a medium that is absolutely chock full of projects that ask for zero funding yet deliver similar products, someone asks for money to produce their show.

2: It's not misogyny, it's the typical internet response to anything they don't like. They will literally grab onto anything. It doesn't help that she manages to contradict herself repeatedly. And there's the part of intellectual property theft. Sorry, but Photoshopping the head off one character and placing it on a torso from that same IP is still IP theft. It's also actually favoring a character trope that she herself said was bad- the female that's really just a man with boobs and different plumbing.

3: She's actually sexist herself. Yes, women are shoved into caricatures in video games. As are men. Granted, there's room for both to move around, but you find it in every medium that when content creators try to build product for a mainstream audience they have to use very narrow character tropes. Video games introduced the silent protagonist, but even then there's a very narrow set of expectations. We can call it the Link or Gordon Freeman effect.

You know, I seriously hope a chunk of the money pledged came as a direct or indirect result of the fame of those dumb bastards' flaming. Just unbelievable.

acosn:

3: She's actually sexist herself. Yes, women are shoved into caricatures in video games. As are men. Granted, there's room for both to move around, but you find it in every medium that when content creators try to build product for a mainstream audience they have to use very narrow character tropes. Video games introduced the silent protagonist, but even then there's a very narrow set of expectations. We can call it the Link or Gordon Freeman effect.

Focusing on one set of issues more than another does not make you sexist. Would you call LGBT campaigners "heterophobic" because they don't mention all the problems straight people have?

Sonic Doctor:

Kahunaburger:

Sonic Doctor:
snip

Once again, there isn't any actual evidence to support the conclusions you are jumping to. Out of curiosity, on a scale of 1-10 (1 being "strongly disagree" and 10 being "agree,") where do you fall re: Feminist Frequency videos?

Five. There have always bee things when it comes to feminism that I think are a good point, and things I think are just overreactions.

But the discussion is about such things in video games.

I really don't see over-sexualized females in games as problem, it is just marketing to a real demographic. The problem is that there aren't a lot of normal, down to earth stylizations of women in games, but I'm not going to take someone seriously if they say there aren't any, or that the ones there are aren't to exact prefect standards for a proper representation of women(because, having encountered many everyday women, there really is no exact perfect representation, or ones that will be admitted to).

Huh. No offense, I'm noticing bit of a "jumping to conclusions" theme with your posts on this topic in general - with what the surplus kickstarter money will be used for, why the kickstarter was posted in the first place, and with the content of the documentary itself.

People need to have some tact. It's moments like these where I shy away from wanting to be a part of the "gaming" community. Even if the project is one sided, which I don't think it is from her description, it's not okay to resort to threats and name calling. That sort of thing only makes the male part of the gaming community look like a bunch of neanderthals. Alas, if anything this makes me want to look into the project more. Seems like an interesting and necessary analysis of where we are, where we've come from, and where we're going.

"If the aim of the outrage was to prove that the gaming community doesn't have a lingering problem with women, well ... good job, guys."

It was supposedly to criticize game characters so trolls on youtube (which I can't believe is somehow news), doesn't really help her case.

Eamar:

Jiggy:

Eamar:

Wow, just... wow. You're saying that including some female characters who aren't sexist stereotypes might alienate the existing audience? I think a large number of male gamers might want a word with you if that's your honest opinion of them.

You mean the one's that pretend it isn't so? I think I can cope. I've yet to hear back from the guy stating that the risk totally isn't there on why they wouldn't already be doing it.

I have the good fortune of being friends IRL with plenty of male gamers who don't think this way. By which I mean sure, they enjoy the odd bit of eye candy (as do I, I am by no means saying there's no place for that, please don't get me wrong), but they are also capable of functioning in society without reducing every female to a sex object. They don't run screaming from a game, film or book because they felt alienated by a believable female character, or because there aren't enough boobs.

And you think that's the main problem? Boobs?

If you honestly think like that then you sir sound either very young, very inexperienced, or just plain misanthropic. Sorry, but that's how it comes across.

You are wrong in all cases. I am realistic. Big difference.

A few examples already exist, we'd just like to see more of them. Alyx Vance (Half-Life 2), original Samus (Metroid series), Kat (Halo Reach), Wynne (DA:O. Bonus points for also being an exceptionally rare example of an older woman who's not just a background NPC). That's about all I've got, but there's some variety in there. A case could be made for FemShep since she's whatever you want her to be and they don't add in any obnoxious "girly" stuff for her.

No no no no no no no, you don't just get to name drop, that's not what I asked for, how do you know if I've played any of those games? You don't. And since you are trying to paint me as being misanthropic (I'm not sure how I've implied a hate for humantiy, but oooook) I assume these must be considerable beliefs you have, right? So it isn't asking much that you give a physical description and a character description, you know, considering that you are painting me as a boogeyman?

Eamar:

acosn:

Focusing on one set of issues more than another does not make you sexist. Would you call LGBT campaigners "heterophobic" because they don't mention all the problems straight people have?

Straight people have no problems. Literally none.

Unless you count a handful of gay bigots (yes they exist, but their numbers are incredibly small, and they're not noteworthy).

ExileNZ:
You know, I seriously hope a chunk of the money pledged came as a direct or indirect result of the fame of those dumb bastards' flaming. Just unbelievable.

Almost definitely. Raging at a kickstarter (or similar thing) in a way that publicizes it is essentially giving the kickstarter creator free money. See also the "THIS ARTICLE RUSTLES MY JIMMIES HERE IS A LINK TO IT" thing people do with controversial stuff they're raging about.

Eamar:
So... nothing new here. Love that people immediately started defending this in one way or another.

Phasmal:
Aaaand cue the people defending this sort of shit.

This stuff happens all the time in the gaming community and it needs to be pointed out and heckled as much as possible.

Hopefully, the gaming community will be dragged kicking and screaming towards a point where this kind of crap is at least frowned upon. (But I am sure I will be called `extreme` for even thinking there is a problem).

Another "extremist" here. You said everything I wanted to, cheers.

There are nasty vicious trolls on youtube, they don't come out just in gaming videos.

There was a kid who was microwaving stuff and he accidentally set his house on fire. The trolls descended on him fast and viciously mocked him for it.

So I don't see why you can blame 'the gaming community' for it.

Frist off I like this girl's work and it came up a lot when I was doing a sexism in advertising art project. Something I also discovered is a staggeringly high amount of anti feminism. With people cheering people on, calling them geniuses for saying feminism is a communist conspiracy. I tried my best to fit in equal parts in my demonstration of restrictive gender roles on both sides. For the most part though when ever I see some one try to talk about the sexism that men face, it has been in a very angry "us verses them" tone, at a much higher level then what they claim to be fighting against, this is just another example.

It's absolutely delicious how her point regarding institutionalised sexism in gaming culture was so wholly proven by the clueless halfwits who went after her.

Very much looking forward to this documentary project. A more informed discourse on matters pertaining sex and gender politics in media is something from which everyone can benefit, so I really can't comprehend why even people decrying the manner in which she's been treated should be so skeptical with regards to the kickstarter.

Rakor:

Whoa, simmer down Nancy. It just kind of sticks out a bit especially when there's a closeup on the controller. I apparently also find the fingernails a bit gaudy, I guess. Now, as all you've done is mock a side point I made, I don't know which side of the fence you are on in this issue. But, you are making the assertion that the existence of elements of a stereotype does not proclaim acceptance of said stereotype. So what's wrong with video game characters exhibiting them. Princess Peach is not a portrayal of women, she is a portrayal of one fictional woman, named Princess Peach. Why is it an issue that she wears heels (among other things but you get what I mean).

Lol, I did get a bit hyperbolic. Pardon me, I've been bored senseless all day.

The problem isn't that these tropes exist at all, it's that female characters contribution to gaming can be pretty much summed up in one word (`Boing`). Real people are more complicated than that. Hardly anyone really conforms to one stereotype.
Female characters with a bit more depth and variety really is what I'm pushing for. Moviebob's Gender Games episode did a good job of addressing that.

Breaking News: YouTube Comments still a retched hive of scum and villainy.

The only thing I have a problem with is that she needs 40,000$ to do a short video series? The one in the article looks fine in itself, I don't think she really needs it.

Beyond that, it's a worthy subject and I'm not sure why there's so much controversy. I've seen this issue discussed before many times already, but there's nothing wrong with another voice.

For the record; I think games are getting better. Liara in Mass Effect for one, is very interesting without being overly sexualized. Alyx from Half-Life is another example.

Phasmal:

Tipsy Giant:

I think the problem with the gaming community is the adults assume the kids posting vile things are adults too.
They are 13 year old idiots, a vocal minority. I hope the real adult gaming community has passed the immaturity these youtubers are displaying

To quote the Extra Credits video on harrassment:
` the people at fatuglyorslutty.com have provided us with hours of audio recordings have shown us these are grown men who should know better`.

It's not just `13 year old idiots`, it shouldn't be dismissed as such.
I know a lot of it is younger people, but we need to look at why its so rampant.
I've never been called a slut for reading a book or going to see a film.

OK I forgot that EC episode, I gave it a re-watch.

It's inexcusable for adults to behave this way, regardless of anonymity, Guess it just confirms that there are a lot of asshats in the world and opening up communications like the internet has, increases the amount you encounter them.
I guess the trick is to inform the community and to rely on each other to exclude these people from activity, if people can't behave online they should have that privilege taken away, much the same as we do when people can't behave in public.

I still don't get why they send these horrible messages..... they take so long to type on xbox controllers....jk :)

Jiggy:

Eamar:

And you think that's the main problem? Boobs?

That's not what I said, and you know it.

You are wrong in all cases. I am realistic. Big difference.

I never said you were any of those things, I said that's how you sound. How you came across to me in that post. That's all.

No no no no no no no, you don't just get to name drop, that's not what I asked for, how do you know if I've played any of those games? You don't.

Because Google is so challenging to use... But fine, if you want to be difficult (pictures spoilered for space):

You'll notice that none of these characters is wholly defined by their gender, and none of them is there as eye candy. They have different personalities, none of them is "the girl." That's what I was getting at.

And since you are trying to paint me as being misanthropic (I'm not sure how I've implied a hate for humantiy, but oooook) I assume these must be considerable beliefs you have, right? So it isn't asking much that you give a physical description and a character description, you know, considering that you are painting me as a boogeyman?

I am doing no such thing, as pointed out above. Please quit playing the victim. I have no problem with you personally, I just disagree with some of the things you've said.

I think she should kickstart her own game and game studio portraying women how she deems fit. It would make more of a difference than that documentary.

what annoys me the most about all this is, looking past all the feminist stuff, how much content is there to really present? other than developers saying they present women this way to appeal to a 14-25 male audience, what else is there to discuss?

I also love how she isn't even going to touch the concept of men being portrayed poorly in video games, it's not like every male on the planet is a gruff super soldier who bleeds through his eyes and soaks bullets like a sponge.

ThePenguinKnight:
I'm curious as to why she needs money to make a Youtube video. Is she banned from using Google or something? The video's going to contain what? Knowledge that we are already aware of?

What she is using the money for is on the Kickstarter page. If you want those questions answered, I suggest reading the site yourself, but it's basically for several 10-20 minute long videos plus a classroom curriculum, and the costs include common production costs for a professionally made video series, as well as for games and the rights to show the clips of games in the videos (just the rights themselves can be quite costly). (Of course the last clause will have folks believing she's just going to blow the whole wad on games to play, which I seriously doubt.)

Zydrate:
The only thing I have a problem with is that she needs 40,000$ to do a short video series? The one in the article looks fine in itself, I don't think she really needs it.

Her goal was $6,000, which is more than reasonable for video production and clip rights costs, etc. for a series of 10-20 minute professionally made videos.

That the backers' donations are now totaling $68,000+ are of the backers' own volition.

Beyond that, it's a worthy subject and I'm not sure why there's so much controversy. I've seen this issue discussed before many times already, but there's nothing wrong with another voice.

I think honestly the controversy comes from some folks feeling like it's a personal attack on themselves/their beliefs (the rightness or wrongness of their beliefs set aside for the moment). It's irrational, but obviously from the quotes provided, they are not rational people.

ETA:

General to the thread: I keep seeing people post "I don't see what difference this is going to make." Given the amount of buzz this has already generated, it's already made a difference. Just making people talk about the issue is important -- it may not seem like it, but the smallest ripples in the water can make waves eventually. This whole project may be one small ripple but if it's generating discussion and getting people to think about the issues, then it's accomplishing something bigger than is given credit for.

Kahunaburger:

ExileNZ:

Almost definitely. Raging at a kickstarter (or similar thing) in a way that publicizes it is essentially giving the kickstarter creator free money. See also the "THIS ARTICLE RUSTLES MY JIMMIES HERE IS A LINK TO IT" thing people do with controversial stuff they're raging about.

That's why I like MovieBob - not only does he not link to it, he'll actually say "No, seriously, stop typing. Don't even Google it."

If she wants to make a documentary about female stereotypes in games (something that certainty is worthy of analysing) then let her. Why does she HAVE to include men in the debate if women are already a big enough topic to fill hours worth of documentary? This backlash really just illustrates how unbelievable defensive so many gamers can be about their hobby. It sickens me. Whether the documentary will be good, informative and well produced will be an entirely different matter. The topic, however, is worth talking about.

If people are so worked up about how men get the short stick in debates about sexism in videogames, make your own documentary and stop with those short-sighted "but most men are also stereotypes" comments. Most female stereotypes are STILL mostly coming from a male perspective, ergo appeal to men. How many male stereotypes are there that get frequently used in games that appeal to females (and no, most females are not turned on by overly muscular men)?

Seriously, people hear feminism and they flip out fearing that women are coming to take away their pee-pees and rule men with an iron fist.

The problem isn't she being a girl. Or she creating a video blog about something connected to video games/sexism on video games.

The problem is asking money for it (when a thousand people do similar for free) and perpetuating the bad image of feminism, since feminism lost its true purpose years ago.People go as far as call them "feminazis"

Sure, females in video game are almost related to somne kind of sexy trope (Femme fatale/Most Common Super Power/Fan service) but's it's not like most male character aren't.Srs, most character, male marines, are atleast one of the following (or all of those together some times): Tall/Bald/"Badass"/Physically Rip, some times going to extreme levels/White or slightly mulatto)

Since people gonna quote me on this saying that I'm a misogynist, let me say a few things.

I'm a egalitarian. I think both women and men deserves the same rights. Neither deserves more rights, with very few exceptions. Womens should get pregnancy leave, for example. Married men should receive a small pregnancy leave, so the couple can fix the initials problems together. Nothing too huge, maybe a couple of days. Much smaller than a woman leave.

Neither man nor woman should have advantage over another. Much of the sexism in our society is perpetuated, not by what the feminists call "male chauvinism". I share many of my opinions about the subject with TJ Kincaid (Amazing Atheist). "Feminism is the idea that we can make both sexes equal by focusing solely on the issues of one of them". At the current age, women actually have MORE rights than man in USA, for example.

Thanks to many different policies, woman get advantage over man in multiple things. They receive less prison time for equivalent time, they have a HUGE default advantage when it comes to child custody or even who should pay children support. Hell, DISCOVERY CHANNEL had a program showing a guy that was IMPRISIONED because he couldn't pay the children support to his ex. Exactly. He COULDN'T pay. She asked for something around 110% of his income as children support. And the judge accepted it! He pretty much sold everything he had to pay for it, and still didn't managed to do so, and then a law abiding citizen ended up in jail.

Wow, what do you know, somebody actually bothered to put youtube-comments under a microscope and write an article about it!

Time for the writers at Feminist Frequency to step away from the computer. They just smashed through the floor previously assumed to be "the bottom"

In the interest of equal rights for both sexes i'm going to tell you what men are told when we talk about the issue of men being pidgeonholed in popular media.

GTFO

Equal rights, amazing enough, means equality for both parties, it does not mean you get to take the good aspects of being equal and then pick and choose which negative aspects you want to take.

I could name you female characters that aren't sexualized at all, and are taken quite seriously, but why don't you take a moment for me to name me off a couple of gay / transsexual male characters that are not..

*Gay for comedies sake

*Lack any personality other then being gay

*Are a character they stapled gay onto for the sake of generating more media attention. (Green Lantern is a good recent example of this)

Father Time:

Eamar:

acosn:

Straight people have no problems. Literally none.

Unless you count a handful of gay bigots (yes they exist, but their numbers are incredibly small, and they're not noteworthy).

While I get what you're saying, I'm sure some people would disagree. For example, LGBT groups campaigning to help LGBT people in countries where being gay is a crime don't campaign to help straight people in the same countries who, say, have sex before marriage and are punished for it, or are forced into marriage. They almost certainly acknowledge that these things are problems, but it's not the focus of their campaigns. And that's completely understandable.

Similarly, a feminist is going to focus on women's issues. That doesn't mean they deny the existence of or condone men's problems. That's what I was trying to say.

DeathQuaker:

Zydrate:

Her goal was $6,000, which is more than reasonable for video production and clip rights costs, etc. for a series of 10-20 minute professionally made videos.

That the backers' donations are now totaling $68,000+ are of the backers' own volition.

I think honestly the controversy comes from some folks feeling like it's a personal attack on themselves/their beliefs (the rightness or wrongness of their beliefs set aside for the moment). It's irrational, but obviously from the quotes provided, they are not rational people.

Ah, fair enough.

Hate on YT comments is nothing new, but the sheer volume of it was enough to warrant some articles around the internet, and 300+ replies here. (I've observed that anything on this site that nets over 200 replies means something is a fairly big deal)
That's why I'm a little confused at the volume of hatred.

In related news; I've begun watching some of her videos. They're pretty good, if a bit monotone. (Which makes sense, pretty much every video I've ever seen in a classroom had a similar voice. Which has never been a good thing. Get some emotion, people.)

Khazoth:

I could name you female characters that aren't sexualized at all, and are taken quite seriously, but why don't you take a moment for me to name me off a couple of gay / transsexual male characters that are not..

*Gay for comedies sake

*Lack any personality other then being gay

*Are a character they stapled gay onto for the sake of generating more media attention. (Green Lantern is a good recent example of this)

All true, but that's not what's being discussed here. I just posted something to this effect- complaining about an existing issue does not mean you only care about that one issue. As a woman I am not happy with how women are generally portrayed in games. As a gay person I'm also not happy about how LGBT people tend to be represented. As neither a male nor a transgendered person, I am unhappy with how gay/trans males are portrayed. Just as I fall into multiple categories, I am able to acknowledge multiple problems, and I don't think competing to see who has the biggest problems is helpful to anyone.

Why can't we all just be nice to one another?

Stephen Tate:
Why should people pay for propaganda? It's ridiculous. If you have extremist views you want to express, don't expect everyone to rush at you baring their cash in anticipation.

rolfwesselius:
Sure give her money just so she can keep screamabout how all men are sexist.
How about if you want games to be more for you,MAKE THEM YOURSELF!

These would be valid points if people didnt already pay a LOT of money to see this series (which we dont know is about how all men are sexist or that its extreme).

So what youre saying is you dont want people paying for something that theyre willing to pay for to enjoy personally by giving money to said person who can provide that service via the use of money.

What exactly do you want to happen? No one can pay to hear something YOU dont want to hear? What if THEY want to hear it.

Also if the roles were reversed and no games were made for you id say the chances of YOU making a game for yourself would be less than zero. How much programming knowlegde do you have?

Also for the record i havnt donated. I dont want to pay to see it. Im not going to call it a "money grab" when.

1. The people paying know what they are getting.
2. The asking price is as much/little as YOU want
3. The maker of the content made no demands and simply asked.

Ive opted not to fund it as im not going to enjoy it. How does its existance affect you?

The gaming community is no longer worth defending.

It isn't, it can honestly go fuck itself. Misogynist obnoxious little douchebags who spam and harass an innocent vlogger who has done nothing to harm anyone, apparently enraged by the idea of someone questioning women's treatment in gaming media, decided the best course of action should be misogynist comments and blatant attempts to intimidate her with graphic threats of rape?

Seriously fuck this behavior and anyone who thinks it's acceptable. I'm amazed how many people have made her the villain here or as I saw on the first page believing that she's part of the 'evil PC police' and that therefore e-intimidation is the only way to stop her. What really would happen if she made this video series?
Would people die?
Would the gaming community explode?
Would the economy collapse?

No, there would be a video series that questions video games portrayals of women. One that you don't have to pay attention to, one that won't effect you in any way and that has no bearing on your life. If the thought of that offends you to the point of believing that widespread hate campaigns and rape threats are essential then you seriously need to reconsider your priorities.

As far as the argument 'grah she stealinz monez for her site', a few things:
Anita Sarkessian does these videos for free, she has stated numerously that she doesn't put ads on her videos so she gets no ad revenue money for doing them. Her videos have been used as educational material in women's studies and universities. I myself got a good grade at UNI for referencing her work, she's got a Masters degree in media and social studies and a bachelor in communications. I'd say she's pretty qualified to do her job and I'd hardly say she's greedy either, if she has supporters who want to help her raise the money to get the licensing for video game footage or whatever else that she might need because she, again, refuses to put ads on her work then that's fine with me.
She's qualified to talk about it (for instance she spoke at a conference hosted by Bungie about women's representation in video games) and is being very reasonable, she certainly doesn't deserve rape threats or for her work to be considered 'terrorism'.

Hell you know who IS a E-begging scammer? The Amazing rapethreatening Athiest. He made that site 'free speech vids' demanding $20 0000 in donations and once the site was up it failed within a week because he didn't spend any money on the basic things like bandwidth and file space. So where did all that money go?
More importantly where was the vicious hate campaign against him?

I've watched, and liked, a lot of Anita's videos. She's for the most part very level headed and respectful, I don't know where her reputation of an insane man hater comes from. There were a few times where she goes overboard but her original 'Tropes versus Women' series and the ones about LEGO and 'The Hunger Games' are pretty damn well written and thought out videos. All she has ever done is address issues, she doesn't even actually direct a blame figure. In her recent 'Oscars and the Bechdel test' video she admits that a movie passing the Bechdel test doesn't mean its inherently a good movie or that a movie that doesn't pass it is a bad movie, just that there is an issue to be addressed.

All she is doing here is making a series of videos about some of the harmful stereotypes aimed at women in gaming. That's all and frankly it's not unreasonable to have a video series that addresses this stuff, if we acknowledge problems like harmful stereotypes in our media enough that we can identify them easily it might help game developers in the future avoid those mistakes and move forward.

This outrage never happened when she made the original 'Tropes versus women' series. It never happened when she first asked for donations about gender and toys (specifically LEGO). This is the first time mainstream outrage by mean spirited insecure fat neck bearded virgins happened to her and it was coincidently the first time she decided to tackle video games.

And that is why I reiterate what I said before, if this truly is 'the gaming community' then:

THE GAMING COMMUNITY CAN GO FUCK ITSELF

Because I can't imagine many self respecting women would be about to.

And god bless you Anita, never stop fighting the good fight.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . . . 35 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here