Abe's Oddysee Remake Becomes a Reboot

Abe's Oddysee Remake Becomes a Reboot

The upcoming re-release of Abe's Oddysee is getting more than a HD facelift.

Developer, Just Add Water, has been working on an HD version of Abe's Oddysee since the release of Stranger's Wrath HD, last year. It was assumed the update would be a relatively straightforward affair - a simple switch to 3D in a similar manner to Grin's excellent Bionic Commando Rearmed . According to a Facebook update from Oddworld Inhabitants, the original developers of the game, there's more to it than that.

The developers have decided to "reboot" the title. It won't just be an HD update of the original PS1 classic, but a new game built from scratch that uses the original title as a "blueprint." All the better, in my opinion. While Abe's Oddysee and its sequel, Abe's Exoddus, still hold up graphically, thanks to some excellent FMV and sprite work, the titles' twitchy controls occasionally pushed them from "punishing" to "infuriating." If you're a stickler for authenticity, however, the original versions of both games are available on PSN and PC.

The game is due for release in the Summer of 2013. No news on a target platform.

Source: Facebook

Have to say the color contrast is very nice and I hope they keep a similar pallet for the remake, I really like the way that Mudokon Pops out from the scenery.

Wow really?! That pretty awesome. I didn't think there would ever be a new one.

Looking forward to something New & Tasty!

I look forward to making everyone angry by farting constantly.
...In HD.

Don't bother getting the originals on PC, it's miserable. And I look forward to this, I just hope it doesn't sit in my collection for 6 years before I finish it.

DVS BSTrD:
Have to say the color contrast is very nice and I hope they keep a similar pallet for the remake, I really like the way that Mudokon Pops out from the scenery.

Indeed. Then again, we don't want people to think we're being too Glukkonous for wanting more of this now do we?

....I'll see myself out.

Vita?

Eh?

Savvy?

*sad face

This should be interesting. I have always been a big fan of the Oddworld series. Hell way back when, the original reason I wanted a PS1 was for Oddworld. I don't know what this reboot will do, or how the story will be different. I assume mostly the same. As long as they can keep the original feel of the game I'll gladly shell out my cash for it.

Abe's Exodus = favourite game ever.
More Oddworld stuff = OHMYGODYESYESYES *climax*

Hmm, well pickle me curious Batman...

ODDWORLD LIVES! IT LIIIIIIIVES!

New Oddworld game? :O

Never got to try strangers wrath, only played the games on the ps1.

So does this mean we have a high profile platformer to watch out for? Goody!

I am very excited by this! I am a big fan of the Oddworld games!

Oddysee and Exoddus are the only games in the series I've played, because the others look like they don't have much of what I liked about the first two, so a new game in the style of the originals sound great. Hoping this gets a PC release as well.

Also, I've been trying to find the PC version of Exoddus for years now, but no luck. A physical copy, because I'm cool like that. If anyone knows where to find one (other than ebay), then please, give me a hint.

fanklok:
Don't bother getting the originals on PC, it's miserable.

How so? I've played both the PC and the PS1 versions, and I didn't see much difference at all between them.

Shrykull in HD. Just think about that for a second. Also I hope they keep some of the old elements, such as Abe narrating in rhyme.

Great news! Beautiful games that fully deserve to be re-appreciated by a modern audience. I often wonder about straight HD re-makes. Shiny new graphicalisms are fine but if you're not bringing anything new to the table it does seem to be a lot of effort for not much reward.

I'm pretty happy re-playing the old games as they are but a re-imagining of the originals is something I shall definitely be looking forward to.

Abe "Hello"
Me "Hello"
Abe "Follow me"
Me "ok"
Abe "Buy game"
me "ok"

Great news I look forward to returning to Oddworld.

captcha: my beating heart. Looks like the captcha's heart also skipped a beat when it heard the news.

As long as the reboot keeps the platformer style and doesn't become like Munch's Oddyssey I'm fine.

Love this game and really looking forward to this.

I don't mind this. Oddysee's level design frequently enters "how the hell was I supposed to guess that without a walkthrough!?!?!" terrain.

P.S. Thanks

Anyone else think Abe was super, super cute when they played it all those years ago? I may or may not have had a crush on him as a child.

>_>

<_<

I love Oddworld! This is good news for once. Gah, too bad the release is until next year.

Llil:
Also, I've been trying to find the PC version of Exoddus for years now, but no luck. A physical copy, because I'm cool like that. If anyone knows where to find one (other than ebay), then please, give me a hint.

Steam

OMG! I loved that game as a kid (although the sligs scared me a bit), be nice to have it refreshed a bit for the present.

I got about 1/3 of the way through the game on PSN and successfully glitched it out to the point where I couldn't continue. I liked it, sort of, but I was a little thankful I didn't have to play it anymore. Even saving was such a chore.

Llil:
Oddysee and Exoddus are the only games in the series I've played, because the others look like they don't have much of what I liked about the first two, so a new game in the style of the originals sound great. Hoping this gets a PC release as well.

fanklok:
Don't bother getting the originals on PC, it's miserable.

How so? I've played both the PC and the PS1 versions, and I didn't see much difference at all between them.

The controls don't translate to a keyboard very well, the only thing that was improved was each gamespeak command having it's own button.

You forgot to mention that you can fart. At any time. Whenever you want.

Awesome news, one of my favourite games from when I was young, and hopefully they'll add a quicksave to oddyssey because that made Exoddus way more enjoyable (not having to repeat the samet thing time over time to get to the part youre stuck at).

Colour me not impressed until they actually give us news on what's going on with Stranger's Wrath HD for PC. That still has yet to come and a LOT of people bought the Oddbox on Steam ith Stranger's Wrath being non functional.

heh, my first game i ever played as a small child was munch's Odyssey which came with my xbox, wasn't till another 5 years i played the original 2 games on the computer...

indeed, munch was the single reason i would later quit the football team and became the full on nerd i was...

Hmmm... I think in the situation, there is only one thing I can say... And it's not even a word:

c|:¬¦D

This is great news, and I am excited!

I quite liked Abes Oddysee but I cant see myself buying it again I would much rather they continue the Oddworld series than reboot it Strangers Wrath was absolutely amazing easily my favourite game on the xbox I just wanted to see what they would come up with next.

Right in the childhood! I was 7 when Abe's Oddysee was released and I still don't know who bought it for me or why but even then I knew that there was no other game like it. A stealth/puzzle/platformer with a dark and juvenile sense of humor. Luring mudokons into meat grinders was as hilarious as it was disturbing. It took me ten years of lost memory cards, thinning patience, and the occasional leap of faith to finally beat it. Then I found out about Abe's Exoddus.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here