Shigeru Miyamoto Wants to Make an FPS

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

i know that feeling.

i also don't have the 'time' to build my giant death ray.

Tanis:
IMAGINE a FPS where it's using actual COLOR and not about killing the 'ethnic baddie of the week'.

Bioshock 1, 2.
Borderlands
Fallout New Vegas
Left 4 Dead 2
Portal 1, 2
Star Wars Republic Commando
Tean Fortress 2
Tribes Ascend

need more? i can go old school if you want.

...I'd play it simply to see what happens when you get Miyamoto building a FPS. FPS games are not evil, they're just overdone.

You know what, I'm okay with this. I just read a long diatribe about how Japanese social constructs are damaging their games and making them unprofitable in the West. Perhaps Miyamoto's FPS will change up the notions of what is profitable and what is not.

So, I hear Quentin Tarantino is playing with the thought of making a new film, that doesn't revolve around violence.

He doesn't have enough time though, so he won't actually even begin with the massive project anytime soon.

Didn't he already helm Metroid Prime back in 2002?

You guys do know that Miyamoto had a hand in Metroid Prime, right? The visor system was his idea.

VinLAURiA:
You guys do know that Miyamoto had a hand in Metroid Prime, right? The visor system was his idea.

Viewing from a first person with a visor design for the HUD? Old, Rainbow six Take-Down thought of it before.

Gordon_4:
You know what, I'm okay with this. I just read a long diatribe about how Japanese social constructs are damaging their games and making them unprofitable in the West. Perhaps Miyamoto's FPS will change up the notions of what is profitable and what is not.

Oh! You went to that thread to?

RaNDM G:
Metroid Prime with co-op.

C'mon Nintendo. Make it happen.

Multiplayer in metroid Prime 2 was really awesome with the 4 different modes on your cannon etc, a shame they took it away from Corruption.
But hell yeah for Samus + partner!

So, are we getting a news article for every word this man spits out randomly?

I'm very tired of FPSs, but this I believe could give the genre the innovation it needs. I guess it could be a Metroid or Kid Icarus game, but Nintendo really needs some new first party IPs, especially more "mature" ones, and even more especially one made by Miyamoto. I really hope he gets the time to make this, I think it could be a lot of fun.

JPH330:
This is hilarious. I wonder what all the Nintendo fanboys who say "Yeah, Nintendo is awesome, they're not making a bunch of DUMB FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS LIKE EVERYONE ELSE" are thinking right now.

Hey Moviebob! See this here?

You obviously don't understand what the Nintendo "fanboys" are saying.
The problem isn't the FPS, but the dumb part.

I doubt Miyamoto would make a classic, "dumb" shooter. Look at all his games. What do you see? Yes, colors. Something you don't see in the classic FPS.

FelixG:
a new IP from Nintendo? ill believe it when they release it.

Well, it's already confirmed that Miyamoto is working on a completely new, secret project.
And I really liked how Iwata "hinted" that they can't say much about it because the competition likes to copy them. ^^

Wait, if only he had the time he says? What, his busy schedule of re-releasing the same games is getting in the way of releasing something possibly new and innovative? Gosh dern it Nintendo...

If nintendo wants a good FPS hire the original Rare team that made Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for N64. Then just let them run wild with the new technology.

Was something wrong with the Metroid Prime saga. It wasn't an FPS in the strictest sense, but they took it in the best direction I had ever seen.

Scarim Coral:
So would his version of a FPS game would simple have the enemy simple vanish when get shot? The idea of a Nintendo game that actually "kill" the bad guys is something I cannot grasp or it simply be no blood like Timesplitter?

Someone hasn't played Legend of Zelda or Star Fox.

Scow2:

Scarim Coral:
So would his version of a FPS game would simple have the enemy simple vanish when get shot? The idea of a Nintendo game that actually "kill" the bad guys is something I cannot grasp or it simply be no blood like Timesplitter?

In every mario game ever you systematically murder legions of the koopa troop armies, including dozens of different races

who,

according to the RPGs, tv shows, sports titles, party games, and the more modern main series titles,

are ALL sapient creatures capable of communication.

Then there's pikmen, where you not only kill giant monsters via thousands of mosquito bites but also drag them back to your lair to have their biomass converted into pikmen.

Rect Pola:
Was something wrong with the Metroid Prime saga. It wasn't an FPS in the strictest sense, but they took it in the best direction I had ever seen.

????? The primes took place in a first person perspective, and the main mechanic was shooting.

FPS

First

Person

Shooter

Just don't make it a first-person platformer, Miyamoto, I beg you...

Innegativeion:

In every mario game ever you systematically murder legions of the koopa troop armies, including dozens of different races

who,

according to the RPGs, tv shows, sports titles, party games, and the more modern main series titles,

are ALL sapient creatures capable of communication.

Then there's pikmen, where you not only kill giant monsters via thousands of mosquito bites but also drag them back to your lair to have their biomass converted into pikmen.

Scow2:

Yes I do know Mario does got violence for stomping his enemies and Legend of Zelda did got FPS element with the bow and arrow (Star Fox was more like a shoot them up).
However consider what most FPS are like these days (Halo, Call of Duty, Gear Of War, Left 4 Dead, Serious Sam, Borderland, Fallout 3, Bullet Storm and etc and etc) I cannot grasp the idea of them doing a FPS like those unless it was quite kiddy in a way.

rembrandtqeinstein:
If nintendo wants a good FPS hire the original Rare team that made Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for N64. Then just let them run wild with the new technology.

You mean the guys who made Haze? Thatīll go well...

Tanis:
IMAGINE a FPS where it's using actual COLOR and not about killing the 'ethnic baddie of the week'.

Ever played Far Cry?

Worgen:

JPH330:

Worgen:

Did you even read the story? It sounds like he is more interested in the exploration aspect of what fps games used to be instead of the set pieces they mostly are now.

Still won't work for all the Nintendo fans who say first person shooters are inherently bad.

Hint: MovieBob.

You do realize he never said that, right?

Actually, he has in fact said exactly that. I can direct you to an episode of his Screwattack show "The Game Overthinker" called "Worst Person." I think it was episode 40-something, but I might be wrong. Go watch it, see his full view on the FPS genre, and tell then decide how you feel about his opinion, but he does end it quite inusltingly to people who like fps games (although it was done with comic exaggeration, so it didn't really bother me).

Scarim Coral:

Yes I do know Mario does got violence for stomping his enemies and Legend of Zelda did got FPS element with the bow and arrow (Star Fox was more like a shoot them up).
However consider what most FPS are like these days (Halo, Call of Duty, Gear Of War, Left 4 Dead, Serious Sam, Borderland, Fallout 3, Bullet Storm and etc and etc) I cannot grasp the idea of them doing a FPS like those unless it was quite kiddy in a way.

Well the Metroid Prime series are considered first party titles, and probably some of the best fps'es I've ever played. Right up there with Half-Life. Apparently, Miyamoto also had a hand in those, though not to the extent of mario and zelda of course.

You don't need blood to kill peeps.

The Metroid game actually got pretty graphic, what with all the firing off alien body parts to expose organs gushing with blue or green fluid, the excruciatingly detailed descriptions in scans of how corpses you find died, blowing up a giant womb, fighting possessed corpses, and various other, usually phazon-based, body horrors.

Innegativeion:

Scarim Coral:

Well the Metroid Prime series are considered first party titles, and probably some of the best fps'es I've ever played. Right up there with Half-Life. Apparently, Miyamoto also had a hand in those, though not to the extent of mario and zelda of course.

The Metroid game actually got pretty graphic, what with all the firing off alien body parts to expose organs gushing with blue or green fluid, the excruciatingly detailed descriptions in scans of how corpses you find died, blowing up a giant womb, fighting possessed corpses, and various other, usually phazon-based, body horrors.

True I guess since I have played and loved the Prime series but wouldn't the alien fuild you just shot would consider to be blood will alien blood?
I guess I can't picture Miyamoto, the creator of Mario to consider making a proper FPS game per say as he always seen games to be fun and playful and not violence like most FPS game. I mean I think it would be similar to Timesplitter as that game was fun and playful while you still kill things in that game.

et tu Shigeru? Like we don't have enough FPS's. If he does get to making one, just please don't let it end up being another gritty gun fest.

Innegativeion:

????? The primes took place in a first person perspective, and the main mechanic was shooting.

FPS

First

Person

Shooter

No, it was a First-person Metroid. All the hallmarks of the series were there. The exploration and the discovery of new weapons and powers to use to discover new areas and get further in the game were still the key focuses to the gameplay. It may have been in first-person, but it was still a Metroidvania in every other respect.

And the main mechanic of the game was as much scanning as it was shooting.

an874:

Worgen:

JPH330:

Still won't work for all the Nintendo fans who say first person shooters are inherently bad.

Hint: MovieBob.

You do realize he never said that, right?

Actually, he has in fact said exactly that. I can direct you to an episode of his Screwattack show "The Game Overthinker" called "Worst Person." I think it was episode 40-something, but I might be wrong. Go watch it, see his full view on the FPS genre, and tell then decide how you feel about his opinion, but he does end it quite inusltingly to people who like fps games (although it was done with comic exaggeration, so it didn't really bother me).

I just watched it. He doesn't say he hates shooters, they just don't interest him, and he doesn't like a lot of the changes in Gaming culture that have come as a result of the genre's dominance.

I do think he will likely have mixed feelings over this, though.

I insist.

People complaining about Nintendo "making the same games over and over again", just look at your shelf of games, heck, just look at the game that's on your disc tray right now and tell me wich one has guns and the classic 3 colors of grey, brown and black?, heck, how many of those games start with a "Call" and ends with "Duty"?. And tell me how many changes has those games had over the span of 4 to 5 years?.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

I actually had a nerdgasm at the very thought of Miyamoto making a first person perspective game himself.
I don't think it'll necessary be a shooter, much less something to remotely do with military forces or generic space marines.

But if it is a shooter, he'd better hire Retro Studios for the job or just tell them to make another Metroid game in first person perspective.

SupahGamuh:
I insist.

People complaining about Nintendo "making the same games over and over again", just look at your shelf of games, heck, just look at the game that's on your disc tray right now and tell me wich one has guns and the classic 3 colors of grey, brown and black?, heck, how many of those games start with a "Call" and ends with "Duty"?. And tell me how many changes has those games had over the span of 4 to 5 years?.

I have two... well, there is also Borderlands...

*enters "Completely Missing the Point" zone*

Tanis:

Sounds like Halo.

SupahGamuh:

Uhh... That adds up to about... four. Out of forty five. Only counting PS3 and Steam.
That what you thought?
Something tells me it isn't.

Dirty Hipsters:

Tanis:

Sounds like Halo.

or Serious Sam
or Tribes Ascend

Innegativeion:

FPS

First

Person

Shooter

I think he meant the whole exploration focus, rather than regular linear level-by-level style
which wasn't all that unique tbh, console Powerslave/Exhumed and even Hexen already had it =P

FPS focus with an emphasis on exploration, use of perspective and immersion? Sounds like it has promise. I like many FPS', even the more generic ones can be fun (CoD, BF etc) but I dunno, I do often feel that they don't make full use of the first person perspective and how immersive that can be, how much it limits your sight too.

Bioshock did use some interesting stuff with it but the emphasis there was more on the aesthetic and getting you to believe than anything else, I'm sure games have tried to use it for other things, I just can't think of any that have succeeded.

I dunno, could be terrible, probably will be if it ever happens. Could be nice.
I doubt they'll let him off the leash to do anything fun though...

Scarim Coral:

Innegativeion:

Scarim Coral:

True I guess since I have played and loved the Prime series but wouldn't the alien fuild you just shot would consider to be blood will alien blood?
I guess I can't picture Miyamoto, the creator of Mario to consider making a proper FPS game per say as he always seen games to be fun and playful and not violence like most FPS game. I mean I think it would be similar to Timesplitter as that game was fun and playful while you still kill things in that game.

Legend of Zelda not violent? Despite the amount of sword-slashing going on?

Honestly, I'd be happy to have interesting enemies to fight, instead of just Dudes with Guns.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here