Frictional Rolls Out Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Trailer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Frictional Rolls Out Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Trailer

The first look at the new Amnesia game is not a pleasant one.

Revealed back in February, Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs is the follow-up to the dreadful, harrowing Amnesia: The Dark Descent. A Machine For Pigs isn't a direct sequel - it's set 60 years after Dark Descent in Victorian London, with an entirely new cast of characters - nor is it being created by Frictional Games, the studio responsible for the original. Instead, Frictional is "producing" the game, while development is being handled by thechineseroom of Dear Esther fame.

In spite of that hand-off, the brief snippet of gameplay on display in this trailer looks more than a little like what we had to put up with in The Dark Descent: awful things happening off-screen, desperate cowering in a dark corner and the "woozy effect" that means you've had just about all of this nonsense that you can take. That's not necessarily a bad thing - it's horrific, yes, but that's what we're here for - but what I'm really hoping for is that the new game, with a new developer, will provide a different take on the horror experience.

On the other hand, it's just a few seconds out of what will ultimately be several hours of gameplay, and you can't blame the developers for wanting to drive home the fact that this is an Amnesia game. And as anyone who's played the original will attest, sometimes it's the things you don't see that you really need to worry about.

Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs comes out this fall.

I'm still kinda excited. But I'd consider that a badly made trailer. First 25 seconds look like they were just recording someone doing noclip through the maps, last 15 seconds showing actual gameplay without showing any of the new features that they had mentioned earlier (and they haven't even changed the scared gasping voice from the last game).

I'm not the biggest fan of theChineseRoom, but I will give them a chance at Amnesia.

Dammit, come back here and give me a console release! Us horror fans with crap pcs are starvin' here!

Ah, it looks good. But seriously...why are you genuine horror developers so mean to us!?

I hope the player character doesn't spend the whole game panting like that or it'll really start to rind my ears.

[Obligatory reference to ManBearPig]

EDIT:

DVS BSTrD:
I hope the player character doesn't spend the whole game panting like that or it'll really start to rind my ears.

So no console release planned? Awwwwwww come on guys! Pretty please?!

People really underestimate just how terrible a laptop can be... "Oh it's only an indie game with no complex graphics to speak of so surely you can run it on-" No GTFO it's beyond help.

Weren't there compatibility issues with Amnesia before? Like integrated video cards (like the ones in laptops!) were just plain old bad for running Amnesia? Sure something was like that anyway...

'K Pig Monster... Fucking fuck. I'll end up watching the inevitable 50 billion horror LPers play through this game. Cry, Helloween, maybe even Pewdie... Probably not though.

So, judging by the Video this is essentially Amnesia with a different Map and presumably (but really, it has to involve amnesia and it seems like monsters are following him) a different story.

I can see why you're all so negative about this. However, we must remember that Amnesia's popularity came by word of mouth (i.e. on forums) and through Lets Plays. If anyone remembers the original trailer, you'd know it wasn't that great.
Although, I do hope they add new "horrified gasps" sound effects. I'm sure they're just reusing Daniels for the trailer, though.

The Wykydtron:
'K Pig Monster... Fucking fuck. I'll end up watching the inevitable 50 billion horror LPers play through this game. Cry, Helloween, maybe even Pewdie... Probably not though.

Try Mangaminx/TheRPGminx. She's a bit annoying at first, but her reactions are some of my absolute favorites.

OT: AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

lacktheknack:

The Wykydtron:

Try Mangaminx/TheRPGminx. She's a bit annoying at first, but her reactions are some of my absolute favorites.

OT: AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I loved her Amnesia LP but for some reason I seem to have lost my swearing is funny part of my sense of humour as of late.

Halfway through her Cryostasis LP it all became incredibly tiresome for some reason...

Now what nickname will she give to the Pig Monster? Mr Piggie? Too obvious I think.

a lot of negativity here. for a first trailer it looks pretty good to me. looks like it'll make me take several bathroom breaks in my chair while i play it. it's enough to keep me interested anyway ^^

Squee!

I can only hope it's as good as past Frictional offerings.

So... That looks awesome.

Ourdoory places might not be as scary, if they're more open. But this is Amnesia, so I'll assume the best for now. And I have faith that Frictional will smack 'em into line if they mess anything up.

Doclector:
Dammit, come back here and give me a console release! Us horror fans with crap pcs are starvin' here!

Ah, it looks good. But seriously...why are you genuine horror developers so mean to us!?

Amnesia really doesnt require a very good PC to play well, just so you know.

Trailer could have been better imo.

lotr rocks 0:

Doclector:

Apparently, it disagrees with my particular laptop video card.

Doclector:

lotr rocks 0:

Doclector:

I don't mean to sound like an advertiser here, but SlimDrivers is good for fixing problems like that. Get the free version, update your video / audio drivers with it, and bam! Amnesia worked fine for me afterwards (albeit laggy, since my PC is crap for non-Valve or Indie games).

OT: This game will make a lot of money. You could say that it'll -

*Sunglasses*

Bring home the bacon.

YEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

SteakHeart:

Doclector:

lotr rocks 0:

I don't mean to sound like an advertiser here, but SlimDrivers is good for fixing problems like that. Get the free version, update your video / audio drivers with it, and bam! Amnesia worked fine for me afterwards (albeit laggy, since my PC is crap for non-Valve or Indie games).

Hmm, sounds interesting, I'll look into it. Thanks!

thechineseroom did Dear Esther. Nnnnot so happy with that one.
But they (he? she? it?) also made Korsakovia. And that was terrifying and insane, so this might be good yet.

Was there really a need for such a short teaser? Who do they think they are, Blizzard? After watching this, the only things I learned about the game is that it's a horror game and it kinda looks like Thief 2 with an HD mod. Release a proper trailer or fuck off.

SteakHeart:

Doclector:

lotr rocks 0:

First off, I want to thank you, Steak, for pointing me in the direction of SlimDrivers. I've been looking for something like that for my laptop that I didn't have to pay for.

On topic, my feelings towards A:AMFP are pretty simple. If it's basically just Amnesia with new environments and monsters, I'll like it. Not as much as Amnesia: The Dark Descent, but I'll still enjoy it. If, instead, it has improved on Amnesia or if the story manages to be brilliant in some particular fashion--as story can captivate me no matter what (almost) if done right--then I'll love it.

However, the fact that it's the Dear Esther guys doing the development, admittedly, makes me frown. I didn't like Dear Esther and that surprised me; I tried to like it with every fiber of my being and just couldn't do it. Given that I enjoy cryptic, story-focused games and that's what Dear Esther set out to be with its heart and soul, the fact that it left me feeling mildly angry that I'd wasted my time with it was not a good sign. Especially since I'd never felt that way towards ANY game before, ever. Perhaps because no game ever came so close to my heart while still missing by miles.

Still, I don't think it means that this will be bad or that the Dear Esther guys are inherently bad. It's just that their reputation is, in my eyes, stained. Perhaps they'll convince me to forgive and forget if they do this well.

I don't know, but maybe being a smaller indy team they don't have a dedicated media person to put together a great trailer at any time, so they just had a developer whip something together? And/or the game is still in an early enough state that there isn't much good material to put in a trailer?

Landrius:

SteakHeart:

Doclector:

First off, I want to thank you, Steak, for pointing me in the direction of SlimDrivers. I've been looking for something like that for my laptop that I didn't have to pay for.

You're welcome. I exist on this site to do three things: help people in need, make bad puns, and chew bubblegum.

AND I HAPPEN TO HAVE A DECENT AMOUNT OF BUBBLEGUM ON HAND.

I'm still getting used to that subtitle, "A Machine For Pigs." It makes me wish for a playthrough video done by Ms. Piggy. :-P

Why is there so much hate for the trailer? I think it does a good job as a teaser.

The Wykydtron:
So no console release planned? Awwwwwww come on guys! Pretty please?!

People really underestimate just how terrible a laptop can be... "Oh it's only an indie game with no complex graphics to speak of so surely you can run it on-" No GTFO it's beyond help.

Weren't there compatibility issues with Amnesia before? Like integrated video cards (like the ones in laptops!) were just plain old bad for running Amnesia? Sure something was like that anyway...

And yet here I am, capable of running (albeit barely) The Witcher 2 on my laptop. It also only cost me about 650 dollars.

If you look, you can find a decent hybrid graphics card laptop for about the same as what I paid.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246328

that'll do you fine and it's only 500 dollars right now. Processor could certainly be better, but most reqs the minimum is a dual core processor, a lower speed quad core should be fine.

Eh... Gotta say, not entirely sure it'll be as good as the first. I'm a little doubtful of TheChineseRoom; and that trailer just didn't do it for me like Amnesia:TDD's did, and that one was just striaght gameplay footage. When I saw that trailer, I knew that game would be fucking scary. This one, not so much.

Can't stand Amnesia so I won't bother with this one. After all, not being able to defend yourself is just not scary to me at all. Really saw no point in walking in the first game, so I just ran around doing what it told me. None of the monsters had time to really scare me because I was long gone after I solved a puzzle, or collected a bunch of items. I liked the invisible monster that chased you while you were treading water, but thats about it. Very much my opinion, I know the game is good. I just hate when people act all high and mighty on how it's the most scariest game ever. Not only at, but you say Amnesia didn't scare you, people act like your saying it because it's the cool thing to do. Everytime that happens, a doushbag gets his wings.

BWAAAAM... BWAAAM... BWAAAM... I think I just got Incepted.

Looking good and I can't wait to soil my pants in fear! :)

Let's see...

No weapons
No chest high walls
No multiplayer
No co-op
No girlfriend to rescue
No wise cracking sidekick

The list of things this doesn't have just goes on.

How do you expect to ruin a sequel when you are doing everything right?! It's like your trying earn my money by doing a good job or something!

This trailer lacked pig squealing. I will provide.

Somehow that all just fits with this game.

Carnagath:
Was there really a need for such a short teaser? Who do they think they are, Blizzard? After watching this, the only things I learned about the game is that it's a horror game and it kinda looks like Thief 2 with an HD mod. Release a proper trailer or fuck off.

You're telling people to fuck off because you didn't like the trailer they provided to you? Well, that's a bit overzealous.

So... it's Amnesia... with new and different maps... and ManBearPig monsters... I'm sold. Please Frictional, take all of it.

Weirdest game subtitle in relation to game content ever.

I liked Amnesia even though it was short. I'll get this.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here