EA Aims to "Broaden" Dead Space Audience

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Stemer:
How is this even possible.
People in the thread are saying that the first 2 Dead Space games sold about 2 million copies each, but Human Revolution also sold about 2 million copies and it made massive profits.
Are EA just really bad at accounting?

blame EA spending more on marketing than anything else

I coulda sworn that multiplayer and horror don't mix?

Am I wrong?

Because the best way to improve a franchise built on survival horror is to introduce co-op into the mix.

Does anyone have the sales figures of the Resident Evil series up to 5? This is pretty much the same genre jumping activity. (Yes I did enjoy Resident Evil 4's jump to a more action-focused game play, but not really so much Dead Space 2's aping it).

The Pinray:
I coulda sworn that multiplayer and horror don't mix?

Am I wrong?

Not sure. Why don't we ask the people who played System Shock 2's multiplayer mode first before the single player game?

So in other words:

"We need to make this a cover-based action shooter."

Gottesstrafe:
Because the best way to improve a franchise built on survival horror is to introduce co-op into the mix.

Does anyone have the sales figures of the Resident Evil series up to 5? This is pretty much the same genre jumping activity. (Yes I did enjoy Resident Evil 4's jump to a more action-focused game play, but not really so much Dead Space 2's aping it).

Yeah.

Biohazard was created by Shinji Mikami as a survival horror game series that was initiated with the eponymous PlayStation title Resident Evil in 1996. Since then, the game series has branched out to include action games, and has sold 49 million units as of March 2012.

With 4.96 million copies sold, the PlayStation version of Resident Evil 2 was a commercial success, and is the franchise's best-selling game on a single platform. Another 810,000 copies of the Dual Shock Ver. were shipped by March 1999.

As of March 2008, Resident Evil 3 had sold 3.5 million copies worldwide.

As of July 2011, Resident Evil 4 has sold 7.03 million units across all formats, making it the best-selling Resident Evil title and for which it holds the record for "Best-Selling Survival Horror Game" in the 2012 Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition.

As of June 30, 2011, Resident Evil 5 has sold 5.8 million copies worldwide since launch, becoming the best selling single release in the series.

This doesn't really surprise me. They failed to turn Battlefield into Call of Duty: EA Edition, so now they're hoping to turn Dead Space into Call of Duty: Undead Alien Edition. I wonder how much longer EA will last. It seems like they've become so greedy that they're forgotten where the real money is and have been grasping at the massive bucks that everyone realises are mere shadows.

Proverbial Jon:

Andy Chalk:
"In general we're thinking about how we make this a more broadly appealing franchise..."

Oh god... here we go again.

So to make a game have a "broad appeal" is really just PR speak for: Just make it a shooter.

Or rather a CO-OP shooter, which is even worse for a horror game. Just look at FEAR 3.

Hopefully he was just making that number off the top of his head, because if your company needs to sell 5 million units (at presumably full $60 retail price) in order to consider a franchise worth continuing then A)Your business model is completely FUBAR and B)Whoever is making business decisions like that needs to be fired immediately because they are butt **** insane!

Even when the economy wasn't totally F'ed in the A, even AAA titles like Halo and Gears of War were lucky to make even close to that amount, let alone lesser titles like Dead Space. And even if that number is counting used and discount sales that goal is just ridiculous. If this is really is the mindset of EA (or worse the industry in general) then there is likely gonna be another game market crash likes of which hasn't been seen since ET for the Atari.

First why is everyone saying Dead Space 2 was bad? it improved everything in first game though it was less scary then the first. Second EA NOT EVERYONE LIKES CO OP this is what I don't understand there are games that are tense and maybe a bit scary (example RE4,FEAR,and Dead Space) then in the next game they add co op it is entirely pointless to add a feature that game does not even need honestly i think this is a way for someone to buy two copies instead of 1.

...Man, EA I really wanna stand by your side and support you guys, but when you make asinine statements, suggestions and demands like this, following the statement that a game's accessibility needs to be improved, I've just got one simple response:

Fuck
You.

The Dead Space franchise has been by far one of the most easily accessible action/horror games out there and if people are doing bad at the game, THEY NEED TO GET BETTER. The game is a god damned cakewalk and I died once, maybe TWO times in the first and 3 or 4 in the second game.

Co-op, I like it, as long as it doesn't ruin the experience of these ungodly monstrous beasts screaming and howling at me with their grotesque designs and appearances, I'll gladly cut them down with a buddy.

But the series is accessible enough and does 'not' need to turn into a carbon copy of Gears or Resident Evil. Dead Space has been about 'strategic dismemberment' of the enemies, resource management by properly planning how to cut down the enemies and in what order...

DON'T FIX WHAT ISN'T BROKEN.

As for the story, it's also great and needs no changing. So seriously EA, don't fuck with the one franchise I love greatly.

Oh and for the rest of us still waiting for an answer, please just announce that Mirror's Edge 2 isn't happening so I can stop hoping and praying for a new title.

bat32391:

Hannibal942:

Rocklobster99:
If there's one thing you can say about EA, it's that they never stop trying, even if it doesn't work.

W
T
F

Please tell me this is fake.

Also, captcha is "time lord" Ha!

Nope! This crap is real.

You cannot be serious. That is hilarious. At one time I would have said they were doing that just to rile people up, but nowadays, I'm left wondering if they are just that stupid that EA did not see a glaring problem with this ad.

chickenhound:
As I said before and when mass effect 3 came out

for the love of talos/celestia/arceus...
FREAKING BOYCOTT EA

If you mean stop buying EA products I haven't bought one since Dragon Age 2.

Laughing at those who got burned by Mass Effect 3 more than made up for it.

Uhh, that's odd.

I recall that inFAMOUS 2 definitely did not sell that much immediately, but got glowing reviews, was obviously Triple A in quality, and - if memory serves - Sucker Punch is alive and doing well.

Sooo, why would EA want more money out of a Dead Space 3 - that, mind you will likely be inferior to inFAMOUS 2 - than humanly possible unless your Mario?

OH WAIT BECAUSE IT'S EA.

DSD12:
First why is everyone saying Dead Space 2 was bad? it improved everything in first game though it was less scary then the first.

Yes, it did improve everything from first game, with exception to being a lot less scary, however look at Bioshock 2. Bioshock 2 did the same thing improving everything from first game but still sucked as a sequel. Now we have the 3rd and they turned Dead Space 3 into Gears of War: Lost Planet. I'm sure Dead Space 3 will be a cool game, but as a sequel it's like when someone tells a person they love, "It's like I don't even know you anymore".

Ya ok EA. You obviously didn't learn from the last "broadening" experiences .. lets go for another.

With the release of Lost Planet 3, I guess the new thing is "third person ice planet alien shooter".

I liked Dead Space. Hell, I bought the Dead Space 2 collector's edition (mainly for the toy plasma cutter...yea..I know) but seriously.

I hope this bites EA in the ass really really hard. I'm positive it will, because it has NEVER worked before. Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3, and now you've come out saying that you're "broadening the demographic" of another game? Its like you don't even care that you're losing money because the idea of having the 1% chance of making 100 bajillion dollars gives you an erection. Its so comically stupid that nobody here is taking it seriously.

Hell it might be a good game, but the publicity is so fucking atrocious that nobody is going to touch it.

EA is running out of IPs though.....the next few years are going to be interesting....

Dear EA, we don't want it to be a viable franchise. We want an ending to a story.

Maybe if they spent less money on adds telling us that our moms will hate their games, they wouldn't have to be batshit insane.

No, wait. They would.

Because they're EA.

Mcoffey:
Ugh. I wondered why I woke up this morning with a chill down my spine and my ass clenched.

Are you sure you didn't just fall asleep in the freezer with ice down your pants?

OT:

Man I feel really bad for the people working on the game. If they weren't already shitting bricks trying figure out how in the hell they're gonna move 5 million units, then I bet they are now that EA's out of touch ignorant executives have decided that they need to.

I mean my god, it's like EA actively tries to sabotage it's own properties. What baffles me even more is that they continue to make money hand over flipping fist.

Oh god I'm glad that I'm not that into dead space but this is just standard EA at the moment and 5 million sales to remain viable haha good luck with that EA you might as well just end the Dead Space series RIGHT NOW then trying to get more than twice the sales of the last game which also tried to broaden its audience.

Enough already. It's Property of EA. I strongly advice against buying any Product from EA. Incidentally, i strongly advise against sticking a Fork into your Eyeballs.

EA is making a move that will be seen as "dumping down for broader Audience"? Stop the presses, who would have thought they a Company like EA, known for its honorable Code of Conduct and Business Practices would ever consider something like that?

Well i would. They want to make the game more accessible to People but i don't think that EA can do that without "dumping down". I just don't think that they are able and competent enough to do that. And even if they where, i'd find it highly unlikely that they'd take the harder approach to make things more accessible. "Easy to learn, hard to master" just isn't their thing. They'll stick with "easy".

Wanna make your Audience broader? Have a giftcertificate for a fastfood chain as a pre-order bonus! Ha! I'm so funny sometimes.

hazabaza1:
Well, say goodbye to Dead Space after this, guys.

I said goodbye to it after Dead Space 1. Isaac in Dead Space 2 was just another FPS hero with no sense of vulnerability or mystery about him. The environment didn't feel threatening or dangerous at all.

In other words Dead Space was over with the second part (well, actually the first part)....EA should stop wasting most of their capital on marketing and they wouldn't need to sell 5 million copies to stay profitable.

edit: the captcha was pretty appropiate in this case "silver bullet"

EA taking the third installment of a sci-fi series into a more combat-centric direction, adding coop, and saying they want to broaden the appeal?

My time machine, it works!

Let's see...

-Bitching about Dead Space 3 having cover mechanics.
-Someone tossing out "generic".
-"Worst company in America" reference.
-Someone calling for boycott.
-Mass Effect 3 bitching.
-Bioware being shot in the head .img.
-complaints about advertising.

Yep, we've hit just about every point you all hit every single time in every fucking thread you ever make about EA. Anything else, or are you guys ready to move on finally?

I swear the collective hive mind of the Escapist must have found EA in bed with your boyfriend/girlfriend for all the rage they get.

Now to actually contribute something other than take generic pop shot at the EA haters. I'm such a troll sometimes, "lawl".

Still optimistic. Still going to buy it. They'll never make 5 million sales, but it's the sales guy. His job is to try to hit CoD levels of sales (as if the rivalry between EA and Activision wasn't an indicator of this), let the guy dream.
Seems to me people who are so quick to write it off as "generic Gears in space" just at the mention of cover mechanics were probably never too invested in the series to even think about buying it in the first place. Sure your input is what forums are all about, but I'll never understand why you insist on shoving your broad generalizations on everyone else.

Also, one more bit. The 2 most common criticisms for the franchise:
It was never scary.
Too much action.

Well which is it then? Is it a survival horror game that is turning into a generic 3rdPS, or is an action game finally embracing it's core mechanics?

Personally, I'll judge the game by it's content. Not by the expectations some jack off in sales has for it.

Dragon Age = Ruined
Mass Effect = Ruined
Dead Space = Ruined

Glad that mass market appeal is really working out for you EA, you literally murdered all your good IP's. All you will have left is the football license and I hope you choke and die on it.

Zeckt:
Dragon Age = Ruined
Mass Effect = Ruined
Dead Space = Ruined

Glad that mass market appeal is really working out for you EA, you literally murdered all your good IP's. All you will have left is the football license and I hope you choke and die on it.

They still have simcity to finally kill.

What on earth is going into this game to make it have to break 5 million to be profitable?

And way to wait until the third installment to bring in new people. I see no sense in appealing to new gamers in a THIRD installment. Actually, as a Dead Space 1/2 fan, I don't see myself playing this. YET. It could be good, who knows.

1] That's not Dead Space. What I saw at the E3 presser was not Dead Space. That was the most generic space shooter that I have seen in a good long while. Hell, I don't even like Dead Space all that much (due to me being rather a bit of a wuss and not liking horror) and even I'm offended by EA's insistence on changing the franchise just in the hopes of drawing people in to the third game of a trilogy!

Horror has a very hardcore group of fans who will follow you to the ends of the Earth if you treat them right. If you turn their beloved franchise into the blandest and most generic third person cover based shooter to come along in a good long while, you'll just get nothing but scorn and backlash from them, as well as the loss of a good 2 million sales, making your sales target even harder to reach. Furthermore, you'll have alienated them for the sake of the casual market. And what if they don't show up? Then you've f*cked over your hardcore supporters for literally no f*cking REASON!!

2] 5 million units?! You need to sell 5 million units?! Who the hell is in charge of finance at your company? I would hardly expect 5 million sales in the first 3 months from the latest Rockstar game, let alone a relatively mid-tier franchise like Dead Space! And, no, I'm sorry, but Dead Space is, has and always will be a mid-tier franchise and nothing you do will change that.

Simply put: your games should not have to make $150 million to break even. If they do, you have done something very, very wrong and you need to be fired immediately because you clearly don't know how to control a budget.

3] How the hell did anyone at EA get to running a company? Seriously, I want to know. I know people at college who are failing their A-Levels who could do a better job than this bunch of morons!

I'll refrain from passing judgement until I've actually played it. I can't deny that I'm a little unhappy about the direction it seems to be going in, but I'll gladly give it a chance to surprise me. After all, the video game industry hasn't really seen "they changed it now it sucks" rage like the kind that was directed at Resident Evil 4 pre-release. Now, RE4 is remembered as one of the best and most important games of all time, and the grandfather of the modern third-person shooter.

While I sincerely doubt Dead Space 3 is going to be the grandfather of anything - except possibly Dead Space 5 - there's every chance it could still be great.

Yet another case of "accessibility to new audiences" that has the potential to ruin a potentially good game. It's always sad when this happens, ESPECIALLY to sequels.

Karadalis:
But the artistic integrity!

You cant change a friggin ending of a video game but you can turn a video game franchise upside down and turn it from something good into something mediocre?

Yeah, and it was barely good to begin with, passable i'd say.

But this is EA we're talking about, it has been proven over and over and over again that the only thing they really care about is money, to them computer game IP is just a financial asset to be wrung for every penny in any way possible.

Aeonknight:
Let's see...

-Bitching about Dead Space 3 having cover mechanics.
-Someone tossing out "generic".
-"Worst company in America" reference.
-Someone calling for boycott.
-Mass Effect 3 bitching.
-Bioware being shot in the head .img.
-complaints about advertising.

Yep, we've hit just about every point you all hit every single time in every fucking thread you ever make about EA. Anything else, or are you guys ready to move on finally?

I swear the collective hive mind of the Escapist must have found EA in bed with your boyfriend/girlfriend for all the rage they get.

Now to actually contribute something other than take generic pop shot at the EA haters. I'm such a troll sometimes, "lawl".

Still optimistic. Still going to buy it. They'll never make 5 million sales, but it's the sales guy. His job is to try to hit CoD levels of sales (as if the rivalry between EA and Activision wasn't an indicator of this), let the guy dream.
Seems to me people who are so quick to write it off as "generic Gears in space" just at the mention of cover mechanics were probably never too invested in the series to even think about buying it in the first place. Sure your input is what forums are all about, but I'll never understand why you insist on shoving your broad generalizations on everyone else.

Also, one more bit. The 2 most common criticisms for the franchise:
It was never scary.
Too much action.

Well which is it then? Is it a survival horror game that is turning into a generic 3rdPS, or is an action game finally embracing it's core mechanics?

Personally, I'll judge the game by it's content. Not by the expectations some jack off in sales has for it.

You've got some good points here, and I concur with a number of them. For instance, I always felt that the Dead Space series was more about tight shooting mechanics (with the rather innovative 'dismemberment' feature), applied to enemies that are more focused around evoking disgust and tension, rather than consistent fear. I never really saw it as a horror game. I saw the tension (not fear) stemming from ammo conservation, and awareness/management of specific enemy types. Subsequently, shifting- or evolving- the mechanics doesn't really bother me...too much.

However, I do feel that franchise fans have sound reason to feel concerned. This may be seen as my particular "spiel" (I've ranted about it previously), but there is a distinct shift towards the homogenisation of mechanics within specific genres. The latest E3 'summit' exemplifies such trends quite effectively. One could call it "Uncharted Assassin's" syndrome, replete with mind-numbing automation and generic features (ie: cover mechanic/co-op). There's hardly any real player input anymore, and certainly no surprises, let alone challenge.

Once upon a time, games were a test of skill and persistence, and the originality/identity of an IP actually meant something. Take a look at the comparative pics upthread (Dead Space 3 and Lost Planet), and consider how this might bother some true franchise fans. Ask Dead Space fans how many bothered with the multiplayer component in number 2, and how many are still playing it today.

Then, take that "5 million copies sold or non-viable IP" wankfest statement and add it to the boiling pot. Essentially, it's a guarantee to pre-existing fans (of a different type of game altogether) that their franchise is over, and just may end on an incredibly bland note to boot, due primarily to current flawed business principles and practices (exorbitant, bloated marketing campaigns, million dollar cinematic cut scenes, and "broadening appeal/accessibility"-ie: homogenisation). Of course they're going to be concerned, and probably pissed off. I know I am, and I'm still going to buy and play it.

Oh damn it, not again! Well deadspace, I did enjoy you, now you've gone the way of my once loved Dragon Age and Mass Effect... EA is just making me more and more depressed

Blimey, if even EA has to do this, then I can smell the death of the triple-A industry in the air. We just can't go on like this.

I haven't played much of Dead Space, but bought Dead Space 2 and had a blast. A very tense affair, except for the last few minutes. I am definitely going to buy and finish 1, probably instead of getting 3. I just watched a gameplay demo and found it underwhelming to say the least. I'm sure we're all aware of what EA did to Dragon Age (despite The Escapist review suggesting otherwise). Most sequels now are not made for the fans, but for love of money. I don't need whiz bang effects, co-op, amazing blizzard effects and boss monsters with glowing yellow vulnerable spots!!! I just want a scenario where everything has gone to hell in a hand basket and I am shitting myself about what could be around the next corner.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here