EA Aims to "Broaden" Dead Space Audience

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

I haven't really played much dead space, but when they say to "broaden the audience" do they mean that they will remove what little horror they still have left?

Dresos:
I haven't really played much dead space, but when they say to "broaden the audience" do they mean that they will remove what little horror they still have left?

removing the horror is the last thing that worries me (dead space fan) it was never scary in the first place

what worries me is turning into gears of war...

Yep, one more franchise that started with potential is going down the generic action game gutter. Don't count me into those 5 millions, EA.

Ed130:

Laughing at those who got burned by Mass Effect 3 more than made up for it.

....thats kind of mean spirited don't you think? I don't regret buying ME3 even if I did get burned by the ending

this doesnt sound too good..but then again just because they are going to add a few changed to Dead Space 3 doesnt automatically mean "GENERIC COVER BASED SHOOTER"

tmande2nd:
Oh sweet bloody Talos.....

1) A studio makes a good game that has a few fans (Dragon Age/Command and Conquer)
2) EA buys them out and makes a so/so game out of this (Dragon Age 2)
3)EA copies what other games do that are popular at the moment for the next game (Mass Effect 3)
4) Said game pisses off any fans left from step 1/2 since its not what they wanted, and no new fans come in at step 3.
5) Slaughter the company and move on.

Leaving a dead company, a dead IP, pissed off fans, but at least Electronic Arts made some more money.

Please someone in the industry DONT SELL YOUR COMPANY TO EA!

just look at the abortion mess that was Command and Conquer 4!

The only reason they introduced that...horrible horrible base mechanic is because they saw Dawn of War 2 was so popular so they tried to emulate it, while in the process butchering everything that made Command and Conquer interesting.

Im still going to get it
Im probably going to love it
But it wont be the same.

Buy out the opposition, force them to make stupid decisions, axe them when they fail to meet ridiculous sales figures. It's how the powerful stay in power.

In other words, they'll be taking the dead space out of dead space. Great idea. -_-

DustyDrB:
Five million? Why? Lower your freaking costs.

Butbutbutbut nobody will buy a game that doesn't have bazillion dollar graphix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 :o What's wrong with you?!?!?!?!?!

But no, you're 100% right. If they spend so much money that they need to sell 500 million units to make a profit, then they really need to re-evaluate what they're pumping billions into...

aegix drakan:
In other words, they'll be taking the dead space out of dead space. Great idea. -_-

DustyDrB:
Five million? Why? Lower your freaking costs.

Butbutbutbut nobody will buy a game that doesn't have bazillion dollar graphix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 :o What's wrong with you?!?!?!?!?!

But no, you're 100% right. If they spend so much money that they need to sell 500 million units to make a profit, then they really need to re-evaluate what they're pumping billions into...

Well, assuming that the publisher only makes 25 dollars per title sold... and that means on 5 million copies they have 125 million dollars per game...I too want to know that the fuck they are putting all that money into, cause it aint salaries for the devs...

I'm still going to get the game because I've played the other two and would like to see where the story goes. But I'm not happy about the change, although that's not to say I didn't see it coming.

Anyone who'd played both the first and second should have seen the massive change in gameplay, tone and difficulty as an example of things to come.

The second did a lot of things right that the first got wrong, but it also dropped a lot of what made the original game unique. Sure it had better pacing, more fun weaponry and giving Isaac a voice was a good idea. But it traded suspense for spectacle and relied much more heavily on set pieces than clever gameplay. It was also much, much easier.

It was certainly much more actiony.

So Gears of Deadspace 3 isn't too much of a surprise really.

FelixG:

Well, assuming that the publisher only makes 25 dollars per title sold... and that means on 5 million copies they have 125 million dollars per game...I too want to know that the fuck they are putting all that money into, cause it aint salaries for the devs...

Pony rides, obviously.
Or more lilkely: marketing.

Or most likely: He just pulled that number out of his butt and the actual number needed for Dead Space 3 (based on the budget of DS2 + a conservative estimate as to their increase in budget) to break even is around 2 - 2.5 million.

And it surprises people how?
Ultima, Dungeon Keeper, Command&Conquer, Mass Effect
And those are only IPs I personally care for (from those I can remember from the top of my head)
How much more IPs they butchered over years, how much companies went along?
Dead Space 3 will suck?
No shit, Dead Space 2 already started to suck.

Dead Space was good.
Dead Space 2 wasn't bad.
See this drop in quality?
Dead Space 3 will be bad (or even worse).

So don't act so surprised people, this is "business as usual" for EA.

Vault101:

Ed130:

Laughing at those who got burned by Mass Effect 3 more than made up for it.

....thats kind of mean spirited don't you think? I don't regret buying ME3 even if I did get burned by the ending

this doesnt sound too good..but then again just because they are going to add a few changed to Dead Space 3 doesnt automatically mean "GENERIC COVER BASED SHOOTER"

Less mean spirited more "Didn't you see the pattern? Didn't Dragon Age 2 raise warning bells? Didn't EA's money gouging DLC practices stop you? Didn't the Jersey Shore in SPACE! meme make you wonder?"

As for you second point, Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

great, now we have to order ANOTHER game franchise coffin.

Ed130:

Less mean spirited more "Didn't you see the pattern? Didn't Dragon Age 2 raise warning bells? Didn't EA's money gouging DLC practices stop you? Didn't the Jersey Shore in SPACE! meme make you wonder?"

As for you second point, Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

HAHAHA SCREW YOU FOR NOT BEING LIKE ME!!!

that's kind of the message I'm getting, weather you like ME3 or not (beside the point)

1. Dragon age 2 was done by a different team on a tighter time limit...

2. Mass Effect is one of my favourite series ever....I know what EA can be like, I accept that and buy the game because why the fuck wouldn't I? even if it was DA2 all over again...I'd buy it anyway to see for myself..no way am I just going to give it all up because of people complaining on the internet

like all those people buying Diablo may not like the always online thing..but they KNOW what they are getting into, and they like Diablo 3 enough to put up with it 9and maby eeven had some fun with the game)...the "always online" hassle was enough to put me off..but is it really right of me to insult them because we have different principles in regard to that kind of thing?

and as Ive said before, I thought ME3 was amazing until the ending...and how much the ending hurts its relative to how much emotional investment the player has in it...

which kind of has me...not sure in regards to Bioware from now on....since this isn't really a DA2 situation...its kind of differnet

I don't know how much of a factor EA was in the ending, but yeah, mabye htye are grindign Bioware into the ground....

but then again if on the off chance (the off chance) Bioware's next game was..you know good then I'd probably get it..because I enjoy their games

so yeah, I'll say I'm a corporate fanboy sheep willing to eat up shit...just to save you the trouble

blackrave:
And it surprises people how?
Ultima, Dungeon Keeper, Command&Conquer, Mass Effect
And those are only IPs I personally care for (from those I can remember from the top of my head)
How much more IPs they butchered over years, how much companies went along?
Dead Space 3 will suck?
No shit, Dead Space 2 already started to suck.

actually I think Dead Space 2 was better in alot of ways

Y'know, I'm getting a feeling in my gut that when the game DOESN'T sell at least 5 million units (because come on EA, that's just wishful thinking!) they will blame it on piracy and/or used games sales.

Maybe they should reduce marketing costs and cut pay to middle and upper management.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Five million?

Five million? FIVE MILLION!??!?!?!

...What? Where the fuck is all this money going? How do you even spend 5 million on a game that has all the basics already set up, thanks to previous entries in the series? (By that I mean the engine, style, gameplay feel, whatever.) I realize game development costs a lot but it's not like they're building a completely new engine and rolling 5 Elder Scrolls games worth of content into one game.

Of course, I already know the answer to my question; that imaginary money (because DS3 will NOT sell 5 million new copies in the first year, I reckon) is going to go toward advertising. Ugh.

So technically they're saying "buy this game or we'll axe the franchise" cause we need 4x profit cause 2x profit is for losers? The fact that there IS a Profit should be good news!

This practically REEKS of Investor relations/expectations nonsense and the "game creation" aspect is just a automatic process to EA to get more money, game developer's hard work and dedication be damned

EA forced the developers to take the easy (cheaper) route and just make it a shooter than to risk more money perfecting or creating new uncertain ideas that MAY improve the game and the Horror genre for the better

Probably did this to compete with Resident evil 6 I suppose. Is Lost Planet even relevant anymore I haven heard much about them since the disappointment that was LP2?

DVS BSTrD:
Hey Pinkie Pie, How do we prove EA is a terrible publisher?

OT: Ea never ceases to show how little they understand the very people who buy their products, don't they?

FantomOmega:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Five million?

Five million? FIVE MILLION!??!?!?!

...What? Where the fuck is all this money going? How do you even spend 5 million on a game that has all the basics already set up, thanks to previous entries in the series? (By that I mean the engine, style, gameplay feel, whatever.) I realize game development costs a lot but it's not like they're building a completely new engine and rolling 5 Elder Scrolls games worth of content into one game.

Of course, I already know the answer to my question; that imaginary money (because DS3 will NOT sell 5 million new copies in the first year, I reckon) is going to go toward advertising. Ugh.

So technically they're saying "buy this game or we'll axe the franchise" cause we need 4x profit cause 2x profit is for losers? The fact that there IS a Profit should be good news!

This practically REEKS of Investor relations/expectations nonsense and the "game creation" aspect is just a automatic process to EA to get more money, game developer's hard work and dedication be damned

EA forced the developers to take the easy (cheaper) route and just make it a shooter than to risk more money perfecting or creating new uncertain ideas that MAY improve the game and the Horror genre for the better

Probably did this to compete with Resident evil 6 I suppose. Is Lost Planet even relevant anymore I haven heard much about them since the disappointment that was LP2?

Funnily enough it looks like Lost Planet 3 is going to be more like Dead Space (1) than LP2.

Dead Space and Lost Planet are having a Face/off style operation.

5 million copies just to keep a frenchise going?
If that's truly your situation then I'm astounded you haven't gone bankrupt yet.

It's probably not going to sell that much considering how the first 2 sold and how completely idiotic the fans are, since they already decided to hate it from 5 minutes of gameplay.

Guys, I know EA killed your family and raped your dog, but could you at least pretend to act like adults?

Five million WTF? Is that just greed or are they pouring an ungodly amount of money into it's development.

Eh, that whole "5 million units shipped at least" is a good thing if the talk about "broadening appeal" is starting already.

Face it: if this jargon is being used already, then you won't even want a fourth game.

Crap. Ignore this.

Soviet Heavy:

bat32391:

Hannibal942:

W
T
F

Please tell me this is fake.

Also, captcha is "time lord" Ha!

Nope! This crap is real.

You cannot be serious. That is hilarious. At one time I would have said they were doing that just to rile people up, but nowadays, I'm left wondering if they are just that stupid that EA did not see a glaring problem with this ad.

It really wouldn't surprise me.

That sounds reasonable.
After all they have to make up for the millions over millions spent on telling me my mom would hate dead space 2.
I wonder how much of a kool kid the new ad campaign tells me I am if I bought dead space 3 (spoiler: I won't).

Fireprufe15:
One does not simply broaden a game's audience.

There are different game genres for a reason. What's happening now is publishers and developers are melting all the different genres into one stale and overused one. Have fun crashing the video game industry, have fun.

With the state of the industry today, I'm left wondering if it crashing would actually be a good thing. The North American video game crash of '83 - '85 was followed by one of the greatest generations of the Golden Age of Gaming and by extent the NES; maybe if the same thing happened again it'd path the way for indie developers and actual innovation.

You know, in the past, I've always felt that people have been rather harsh on EA. After playing through Mass Effect 3 and looking at the various shit they've done with other stuff however, I can't help but agree with the majority here. Why would you try to "broaden your audience" this late into the game series? That's just stupid and unreasonable.

All this info on Dead Space 3 just makes me want to curl up into a ball and mumble fuck EA for a few hours.

GTA IV had a budget of about $100 million dollars. Let's add $50 million to that for markething and stuff, giving us an investment of $150 million. Divide that by aproximitaly $30 per game sold, meaning it had to sell 5 million copies.
EA, are you seriously telling me that Dead Space 3 costs as much as GTA IV, the game wish the most content, largest scope and most production values this entire generation, aside from maybe Skyrim?

5 million at 60 dollars a pop.

300 000 000

you need 300 million dollars to make Dead space viable? It can't cost you even half that to make it.

Or you could end it now while it's on an overall high? And not milk it for every penny it WON'T be worth... Fucking EA...

If i see one more comparison to Gears Of War i'm going to go and cry in a corner.

Seriously, there is no relation between Gears and Dead Space, other than the fact they are 3rd person shooters and have a cover mechanic (Which MANY games have). Sure EA may be dicks, and as long as they get money, they will be dicks, But complaining about it is not going to do anything.

I saw this at E3 and to be honest it looks good, not perfect, but good. They even said the story won't be affected if you play it just in Single Player, So to all the people bitching about the story getting dumbed down as a result of the Co-Op...

Facts. Get them.

5 million units is a pretty ridiculous, arbitrary goal to meet- especially considering how only the real big popular games like the yearly Call of Duty-s or yearly sports titles ever sell THAT much.

The problem with EA, in my mind, is that all the problems that gamers complain about stem from these problems of arbitrary goals for more money for the sake of more money.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here