Neversoft Drafted Into Call of Duty Development Army

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Neversoft Drafted Into Call of Duty Development Army

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater developer, Neversoft, is now working on Call of Duty content.

You remember Neversoft right? After being picked up by Activision in 1999, the California-based developer struck gold with the excellent Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. It continued to pump out Tony Hawk titles on a yearly basis until Robomodo took over following a string of underwhelming titles. When Activision and Harmonix parted ways, Neversoft took over the Guitar Hero franchise. It released games on a yearly schedule until Activision put the series on hiatus back in 2010. Now, according to job listings on its website, Neversoft has been set loose on the Call of Duty series.

"We have molded our team into a crack squad of eager developers ready to push the first-person action genre in support of Activision's Call of Duty franchise," reads the website.

The developer is looking for a Senior Level Designer, Senior Environment Artist, and Senior Concept Artist. While Neversoft has supposedly been working on a "space FPS" for the past two years, the developer has only produced a handful of shooters in its 17-year history (one of which was the quite serviceable Gun).

No other details were given, so it's unclear if Neversoft will be producing stand-alone entries in the series, spin-offs or just helping Infinity war and Treyarch with their respective titles.

Source: Neversoft

Okay, so I've not played an iteration of this game since the original. Is the series really so generic that they can literally toss it to any developer they have laying around?

Maybe this is a good thing. What if they make the next Call of Duty and it turns out to be actually good because it will incorporate the use of skateboards and you do tricks to earn cash to buy weapons? Genuis!

.......I'm writing that down.

Waaghpowa:
Maybe this is a good thing. What if they make the next Call of Duty and it turns out to be actually good because it will incorporate the use of skateboards and you do tricks to earn cash to buy weapons? Genuis!

Is this why they hired Ollie North as a consultant?

sweet! if they time this right, they can make release a call of duty EVERY 6 MONTHS!

If any company can ware out a license its Neversoft!

DVS BSTrD:

Waaghpowa:

Is this why they hired Ollie North as a consultant?

Didn't you know? He's an expert on Skateboard warfare!

There better be DLC where I can Kickflip over a terrorist and shoot him in the head while Superman plays.

This is what I expect to see.

Don't disappoint me.

Maybe this spells the end of FPS dominance?

Let's hope Neversoft can grind out a good game from this series.

I just have one question for Neversoft. Will Guerilla Radio be in the game soundtrack?

now I can snipe on a skateboard? fantastic!

ThePS1Fan:

Don't disappoint me.

I would buy this.

Just puttin' that out there.

Scars Unseen:
Okay, so I've not played an iteration of this game since the original. Is the series really so generic that they can literally toss it to any developer they have laying around?

Pretty much, yes. Just throw enough money and polish at it. It's just grunt force coding/modeling work. At least battlefield 3 did something interesting with it's physics engine

PS: Why picture of THREW IT ON THE GROUND guy?

ThePS1Fan:

Don't disappoint me.

Where the hell did that come from? There's no way someone could throw that together since this story came out.

*Reads article to make sure is not hallucinating*

*Tries to formulate an opinion but the retarded logic of Activision is too stunning*

*Sheds a single tear, while mumbling about squeaky wheels*

I'm hoping activision went over there and said "Guys, take everything Treyarch and Infinity Ward is doing and just ... well, ignore it. Go nuts!"

Eh, who am I kidding? Inb4 CoD Clone Creator #3

So, we can prepare to see the Call Of Duty series explode, can't we? The only reason the bubble hasn't burst yet is because Activision only release one a year, which I think is why EA's sports games still continue to do so well year upon year. But, as FogHornG36 says

FogHornG36:
sweet! if they time this right, they can make release a call of duty EVERY 6 MONTHS!

This'll work for Acti in the short term but then I can definitely see the audience getting sick of buying new CoDs. If anything, this'll just accelerate the decay of the CoD franchise.

That, or it'll be yet another studio brought on to help Infinity Ward. That's probably more likely.

Wait, does that say "Infinity war"?

So they churned out yearly releases of Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero until they burnt out?

Hmm, seems perfect for Call of Duty.

Call of Duty on skateboards? o.o Do want! :D

Considering Neversoft seemed to of killed not only Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series but also the Guitar Hero series, I'm finding this somewhat hilarious. Especially since I'd argue the last time Neversoft made a good game it was 2005 (with Gun), and maybe 2007 (Guitar Hero 3) ignoring the fact they didn't really change much from Guitar Hero 2 and got absolutely wrecked compared to Rock Band. If they manage to kill Call Of Duty, I'm not sure if I'd slap them or shake their hands for the stupidity that would have to be preformed considering Call Of Duty is an incredibly safe series.

Riobux:
Especially since I'd argue the last time Neversoft made a good game it was 2005 (with Gun), and maybe 2007 (Guitar Hero 3)

To be fair to them, the latter Tony Hawk games were pretty solid skating games that managed to recapture some of what made the earlier games great. Then the license was pulled from them and given to Robomodo who shat out the abysmal Ride.

Scars Unseen:

More than likely, yes. I base that opinion off the fact that I stopped playing CoD due to its repetitiveness and apparent lack of quality assurance with titular multiplayer balancing, and glitches in MW2; and the fact that if you do something you like too much, it fails to stimulate (CoD 1, 2, 4 and regrettably 6).

I'd hypothetically bet money on it that Halo 3: ODST contained more changes in its code to Halo 3 than MW3 had to MW2. ODST sold at budget price on release.

As much as people bitch about EA, I actually dislike Activision more because:

Driving a franchise into the ground in an attempt to cash in big and quick is the most selfish and anti-consumerist thing I think a publisher can do. I see EA sports in the same light, but they aren't quite as bad because it's dedicated development teams studying each changing year of the sport and making a new game out of it. I hate them too and if I buy a sport game I wait at least 3 years, but with CoD, 3 years later still isn't enough.

CoD, to me, is just "lets add an expansion pack's worth of content, polish the shit, give it a once-over for QA then sell it off again for full price before working on the next one".

Now I wish to never speak of this again. I've raged all too much on the subject for way too long in the past. Lets just enjoy the games we like, where weak or stale franchises die off and maybe game-makers at large will learn from it.

activision is like the flying dutchman.

those poor souls.

kajinking:

ThePS1Fan:

Don't disappoint me.

Where the hell did that come from? There's no way someone could throw that together since this story came out.

I first saw it here. Not sure about him.

Activision has 13 developers with this announcement 6 of them now work on CoD.

Unrelated, but isn't that picture from The Lonely Island? What's it doing here?

Skateboards better replace the knife and all the dumb killstreaks and perks.

man, if CoD ever bombs Acti is FUUUUUUCKED

Irridium:

ThePS1Fan:

Don't disappoint me.

I would buy this.

Just puttin' that out there.

I would HATE to encounter someone using Commando Pro PLUS Extreme Conditioning on THAT
That would suck massive balls! well suck more than what the COD series usually suck at present

kajinking:

ThePS1Fan:

Don't disappoint me.

It was on reddit for maybe 2-3 hours before The Escapist reported on this.

I for one am interested in seeing how a developer known primarily for skateboarding and rhythm games will handle an FPS and want to see if they'll bring anything interesting to the table.

I lament the golden days of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3, the time before the descent to the dark era for the franchise

Here's to hoping they wear out the franchise.

Marathon Pro - Pressing Sprint now spawns a skateboard for you to cruise around in. Skateboard for an unlimited duration.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here