Diablo II Dev: Diablo III Was Originally an MMO

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Diablo II Dev: Diablo III Was Originally an MMO

With its auction house, microtransactions and awlays-online requirement, it doesn't seem surprising that Diablo III started life as an MMO.

At least, according to Blizzard North co-founder Max Schaefer.

"When I was working at Blizzard a million years ago we were working on Diablo III and it was an MMO," he told The Verge. "We were going to do the Diablo version of World of Warcraft. Blizzard obviously changed that pretty quickly, so we left to start Flagship Studios and we brought in a lot of the guys, so they rebooted with their own team."

Now we're talking ancient history here. Schaefer left Blizzard North, taking a sizable chunk of Blizzard talent with him, to form Flagship Studios back in 2003. The Studio only managed to release one game, the ill-fated Hellgate: London, before it went under. Schaefer's next start-up, Runic Games, found success with its likable Diablo II knock-off, Torchlight.

Schaefer went on to add that he doesn't think competition with Diablo III will do the upcoming Torchlight II any harm. In fact, he pointed out that the rate of Steam pre-orders for the game has risen by 40% since Diablo III's release.

"We're kind of piggybacking on their marketing," he added.

Source: The Verge

Well they kinda Butchered it didn't they?

Grey Carter:

No you're piggybacking off their crappy customer service.

Diablo 3 pretty much is an MMO, except you can only play with 4 players at a time. It has universal chat channels and an auction house just like most MMOs.

It is pretty much guild wars: Crappy edition as it is right now, so they must not have rebooted THAT much.

Also, I am not surprised.. Go Torchlight 2!

That really does explain a lot.

.....originally?

fucking MMO's.....

what? I don't like them

DVS BSTrD:

Grey Carter:

Marketing, customer service, is there really a difference these days with the word of mouth and the internet?

I'm pretty much indifferent to the news of them having been making Diablo 3 as an MMO. I detest the idea, and I think that it not getting made is one good thing to come out of the whole "Blizzard North is gone" deal. So whatever.

DVS BSTrD:

Grey Carter:

Not customer service. Their shitty game. This is coming from a guy who didn't expect anything above mediocre, just a decent timewaster. A week in, having trudged half-way through inferno, I just went ahead and preordered Torchlight 2, after a year of being completely and utterly disinterested.

The part where Diablo 3 fails probably the most miserably is in its itemization[1]. It's the epitome of boring and shallow. There are no items to look forward to, no sets to gather before you get to the "end-game" (and when you do get there, surprise surprise, the sets suck), the legendaries are embarrassingly weak, no interesting or unique stats, nothing. Not to mention the issue that only exacerbates these problems - the loot game is designed for the auction house. It's cluttered with fluff stats and is random beyond any sort of reason and the vast majority of the "rare" or "legendary" items you get are just completely useless.

The crafting sucks balls, too. The gems are neutered, weak and cost exorbitant amounts of money for minuscule improvement; and the blacksmith is at least 10 times less efficient [2] than going to the AH to buy something.

And there's my short rant on Diablo 3.

[1] Actually that's not it, but that's what counts the most in the long term.
[2] Thanks to costing a ton to make anything and by being just as random as the rest of the game's loot.

Grey Carter:
found success with its likable Diablo II knock-off, Torchlight.

Actually Torchlight was more of a dumbed down Diablo 1 knock off. Torchlight 2 is more like a dumbed down Diablo 2 knock off.

OT: Meh, kinda of a surprise. Probably for the best anyways I don't think Diablo 3 would have been as good had it been in a true mmo format to be honest.

Yeah, it's still an MMO. Just with very, very limited server populations.

Hammeroj:
The part where Diablo 3 fails probably the most miserably is in its itemization[1]. It's the epitome of boring and shallow. There are no items to look forward to, no sets to gather before you get to the "end-game", the legendaries are embarrassingly weak, no interesting or unique stats, nothing. Not to mention the issue that only exacerbates these problems - the loot game is designed for the auction house. It's cluttered with fluff stats and is random beyond any sort of reason and the vast majority of the "rare" or "legendary" items you get are just completely useless.

The crafting sucks balls, too. The gems are neutered, weak and cost exorbitant amounts of money for minuscule improvement; and the blacksmith is at least 10 times less efficient [2] than going to the AH to buy something.

And there's my short rant on Diablo 3.

I'm not going to say I disagree, but it's stuff that's definitely fixable and Blizzard has admitted they've mucked up a bit on a lot of this. I sort of like the "rares as BiS" bit for certain things. It helps cut down on homogenization a bit. They definitely dropped the ball on weapons though.

Inferno balance is also wacky. I got through Act 1 at a reasonable pace, but elite/rare packs take me about two checkpoints of kiting backwards to kill in Act 2. Blacksmithing needs to have its priced slashed dramatically, at least by a half.

Leveling itemization has and always will be a pointless endeavor in games with quick leveling systems without major gearchecks. I'm actually kind of disappointed there are so many low level unique items.

[1] Actually that's not it, but that's what counts the most in the long term.
[2] Thanks to costing a ton to make anything and by being just as random as the rest of the game's loot.

It makes me fucking sick to my stomach that I was suckered into buying what I knew full well was a piece of shit on the promise of playing with friends (exactly 2 of them). Neither one has logged on in 15 days and I'm still out 60$...

I am pissed. It's the one game I could have played with "friends", and they flake the fuck out only for the game to reveal itself to be exactly as shit as I knew it would be. Fuck Blizzard. I can't even fathom how people still love them when everything that made them great was called Blizzard North and is gone. Oh wait, right, people can barely differentiate publishers and developers of course they don't know Blizzard is nothing more than WoW now...

/rant

Sorry 'bout that

This is the most surprising bit of news that I have ever read in my entire life ever.

Now I really don't want to get it

Dags90:
I'm not going to say I disagree, but it's stuff that's definitely fixable

Sorry, I'm gonna let you finish, but the game has been in development for practically 6 years. Not having the most basic, core functions of a loot-based game down by this time is incompetence. I don't care if it's fixable or not at this point. This is way too much time to have waited for a simplistic, boring and sometimes outright broken loot system.

I sort of like the "rares as BiS" bit for certain things. It helps cut down on homogenization a bit.

..How? All that changed is that those BiS items won't have the same name from one player to the next. In the end you're still looking for the exact same modifiers every single time. For weapons, it's +damage, +%damage, +crit damage, +attack speed and +main stat while the last (as in the sixth) stat is completely immaterial. That's it. If that's not homogeneous, the word doesn't have a meaning. You're looking for the same stats, which trump all others, every single time.

Not having legendary items be better than rare items in the end (or, actually, at any point in the game) while still having them be immensely (dozens and dozens of times) more rare is missing the point completely. They might as well not be in the game, because as is, they're only there to give you a very brief and very disappointing illusion of cool itemization.

Inferno balance is also wacky. I got through Act 1 at a reasonable pace, but elite/rare packs take me about two checkpoints of kiting backwards to kill in Act 2. Blacksmithing needs to have its priced slashed dramatically, at least by a half.

It's not wacky, it's artificially inflated. Which would be fine, but it goes way over the top. Tedium incarnate.

Another maddening part about this is that they did actually have an artisan that would've softened the blow of the insanely random loot game, the Enchantress. But no, that had to go. God forbid people have a choice in the matter.

Leveling itemization has and always will be a pointless endeavor in games with quick leveling systems without major gearchecks. I'm actually kind of disappointed there are so many low level unique items.

Maybe the problem is also present with another aspect of it then.

Not to mention, having an extra difficulty level is just so fucking superfluous and adds to the tedium. Just subtract it and spread the difficulty out through the three difficulty levels that were already more than enough.

As it is, we're talking about a loot based game, where there isn't anything worthwhile to get until you trudge through the fucker 4 times.

hahaha, more proof that the devotion to blizzard is utterly undeserved

also, way to make yourself sound like a dick in your own statement, man

I was having fun with Diablo until the brick wall of difficulty that is Act 2 inferno :p I have many Butcher runs ahead of me >_> I kind of refuse to use the real money auction house rofl.

I have already preordered Torchlight 2 and might buy four copies for my friends after I play it and see what it's like.

It doesn't help that Diablo III was finally cracked some short while ago either.

welp, see yall in path of exile soon

keep all of your interest in a small tote bag so that it'll be safe while you navigate back out of diablo 3

I wonder why Blizzard decided to scrap it as a full MMO. With the auction house and the always online requirement I think it would have done better as an MMO.

This does not surprise me why?

It already works like an MMO in so many ways that they might as well lift the player cap for multi-player games and let it be one. I am enjoying the game still but the things I didn't like before buying it are still my main complaints.

Tamrin:
It doesn't help that Diablo III was finally cracked some short while ago either.

Ummm, are you sure? I thought it was supposed to be uncrackable since a large portion of the game resided server-side...

It makes me happy to see first server emulators with almost everything working. This game is good, it' doesn't live up to it's predecessor so far but it's certainly fun. However I wolud never buy a game with forced always onlie, real money AH, and making playing the AH more efficient than playing the game by a far too big marigin.

Raiyan 1.0:

Tamrin:

Ummm, are you sure? I thought it was supposed to be uncrackable since a large portion of the game resided server-side...

First working version was put on BitGamer no more than 20h ago. It does the same thing as with WoW. And as this game is infinetely smaller in size and simpier in mechanics it's no surprised emulators appeared so fast.

8-Bit_Jack:

I started saying the following part short after the fusion with Activision and this proves it even more:

After the fusion Blizzard stated several times that this had no effect on the intern structure and that Activision has next to no power over Blizz in this. I tend to believe that... And aim all the shit they've done previous and since then towards Blizz itself. They are living of the good will they build up in all the years but more and more people start to realise that.

TheKasp:

8-Bit_Jack:

I started saying the following part short after the fusion with Activision and this proves it even more:

After the fusion Blizzard stated several times that this had no effect on the intern structure and that Activision has next to no power over Blizz in this. I tend to believe that... And aim all the shit they've done previous and since then towards Blizz itself. They are living of the good will they build up in all the years but more and more people start to realise that.

I hate to agree with you, but your right.

Sod it, i'm going to load up Warcraft 2, hear that classic menu music again and just go in to a corner and cry.

Well the MMO part never went away they just shrunk the server size so you wouldn't notice.

MetallicaRulez0:
Diablo 3 pretty much is an MMO, except you can only play with 4 players at a time. It has universal chat channels and an auction house just like most MMOs.

And don't forget, despite the 4 player limit your game still lags depending on how many other people are playing.

gibboss28:

I hate to agree with you, but your right.

Sod it, i'm going to load up Warcraft 2, hear that classic menu music again and just go in to a corner and cry.

The sad part: Going by the quality of their games alone they are still a fucking great company. I played (and still play) the shit out of SC2, I fondly remember my 200 days I put in WoW in 6 years and all that well designed content (even though the last I went to was basic rehash) and I am pretty sure D3 is in its core a good game.

But then we go to all the decisions made outside of gameplay. Always online? Okay, I can live with that if I have a basic function to play when I have no internet or server are down (SC2 has it). Auction house? Fine. It is Diablo we are talking about, a franchise heavily dominated by black market item shops. But lack of preparation for the first weeks, lack of any option to play offline (and be it without any savegames), steady source of revenue while still selling it for 60€ (Euro I say. This equals 75$) and the now usual way of advertising (we announce a load of features but scratch them off during the final 1-3 months with the promise of adding it in the future) are a little too much.

cieply:
It makes me happy to see first server emulators with almost everything working. This game is good, it' doesn't live up to it's predecessor so far but it's certainly fun. However I wolud never buy a game with forced always onlie, real money AH, and making playing the AH more efficient than playing the game by a far too big marigin.

Raiyan 1.0:

Tamrin:

First working version was put on BitGamer no more than 20h ago. It does the same thing as with WoW. And as this game is infinetely smaller in size and simpier in mechanics it's no surprised emulators appeared so fast.

Now that the server emulator is up I might go out and pick up the game so I can play it in the luxury of my home without dicking around with its always online bullshit.

Sounds about right.

"Diablo 3: The Monetization Scheme"

Well now I have a legitimate reason to dislike MMOs and multiplayer pandering.
Diablo III has been a mess on the video-game community.

Besides the main MMO structure of 100's of players in one spot, and having an open world rather than linear paths and small open sections, it pretty much is an MMO. But I'm glad they changed it to be honest, because we don't need any more MMO's I don't think.

Thankfully they didn't go the MMO route. I'd have never bought the game otherwise (barring free to play or Guild Wars model).

As is, Diablo 3 is a fantastically unreliable game that should keep me busy for many more months.

FelixG:

cieply:

Raiyan 1.0:

Now that the server emulator is up I might go out and pick up the game so I can play it in the luxury of my home without dicking around with its always online bullshit.

Dicking around? Do you have hamster wheels powering your internet or something?

It's as simple as load, type password, choose character. I've seen worse load ups for games. Takes about 20 seconds to get into a game if your computer can load it fast enough.

CardinalPiggles:

FelixG:

cieply:

Dicking around? Do you have hamster wheels powering your internet or something?

It's as simple as load, type password, choose character. I've seen worse load ups for games. Takes about 20 seconds to get into a game if your computer can load it fast enough.

No but I have three people using it, and I dont want to deal with putting in a password, getting kicked off if my internet hiccups or ruberband because of lag, or deal with a retarded error because Blizzard cant handle their shit servers properly for a single player game. Or if you hadnt noticed because you were too busy being snarky on the internet people are still having issues with that.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here