Origin Cheapens IP With Deep-Cutting Sales

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Origin Cheapens IP With Deep-Cutting Sales

EA must not think the Mass Effect IP is worth much.

About two weeks ago, EA Vice President David DeMartini said that EA was unlikely to offer Steam-esque sales via its Origin service. "I just think it cheapens your intellectual property," he said. This statement is somewhat hilarious in hindsight, as Origin is now aping Steam with a promotional sale.

The North American Origin marketplace is currently celebrating Origin's anniversary with discounts to special edition releases of titles. TERA's collectors' edition is now $41.99 - down from its original price of $59.99; Mass Effect 3's Digital Deluxe edition is $47.99 (formerly $79.99); and the special editions of Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 2142 can be had for $29.99 and $8.99 respectively (instead of $49.99 and $14.99).

Our friends across the pond have an even better sale going on, with a whole mess of popular titles available for just 5 across the board. For the formerly 40 Dragon Age: Origins, that's an IP devaluation of 87.5%. Other titles, like Mirror's Edge, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and Darksiders aren't quite as devalued from their Origin prices - but let's not forget, said Origin prices are cheaper than their original launch prices.

That sure is a whole lot of intellectual property being devalued, right there. Yes, I think it's okay to laugh.

It's all the more surprising that this sale came so soon after DeMartini's comments. Was this a case of the left hand simply not talking to the right hand? Did the outcry over DeMartini's comments lead to a swift reversal of position for EA?

It'll be very interesting to see if EA acknowledges its about-face, or if it tries to sweep DeMartini's comments under the rug and pretend that this was its plan all along. Origin has always been at war with Eastasia, and all that.

Source: RPS

Since when has EA EVER cared about the value of Intellectual Property?

I'm thinking it's more of the bad news about down game sales because we didn't put out any games in May that's driving this. I don't think it has anything to do with outcry or one hand not talking to the other. I think it's simply EA going, oh, we didn't get any money last month.

I don't care if they come out with a game that was photorealistic sensoround holodeck solid gold blowjob generator there is no game that is worth installing the crapulance that is Origin.

Hmm, whats that taste? Its so familiar, just on the tip of my tongue. Oh, thats right... Hypocrisy!

Not a suprise really, probably quite a few people who commented in the original thread saying precisely this would happen.

DVS BSTrD:
Since when has EA EVER cared about the value of Intellectual Property?

They have always cared about the value. The Dollar value.

After going on about how STEAM sales cheapen Intellectual Properties, they pull a complete 180 and do the same thing...?

Am I the only one who saw that coming?

does anyone remember this:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117725-Origin-Boss-Says-Steam-Sales-Cheapen-Intellectual-Property

MrBrightside919:
After going on about how STEAM sales cheapen Intellectual Properties, they pull a complete 180 and do the same thing...?

oh shit ninja'd

rembrandtqeinstein:
I don't care if they come out with a game that was photorealistic sensoround holodeck solid gold blowjob generator there is no game that is worth installing the crapulance that is Origin.

I'd put up with Origin for a solid gold Holodeck Generating Blowjob Machine. Just saying.

OT: Foot in mouth syndrome, looks like. I had a good long laugh when I read the title.

Ympulse:

rembrandtqeinstein:

I'd put up with Origin for a solid gold Holodeck Generating Blowjob Machine. Just saying.

OT: Foot in mouth syndrome, looks like. I had a good long laugh when I read the title.

You'd have to pay for the lips-addition dlc, the spit-swallow dlc, dlc to cover the horrible Cthulhu-esque thing that will be performing the blowjobs though!

Also...
You surprised by Mass Effect and Dragon Age getting these sales? EA already got Bioware to cheapen those two series, well before this sale ever occurred! And heck, with the way things are looking, The Old Republic is going to become cheaper than all of them!

I just had a look at the site, doesn't seem like Australia is getting this sale. What a surprise.

Although there is a E3 special, where if you preorder a title, you can purchase another game for $2. These include Mass Effect, Mirrors Edge, Cyrsis and Dragon Age Origins: Awakening.

That's an amazing amount of IP being devalued right there.

rhizhim:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117725-Origin-Boss-Says-Steam-Sales-Cheapen-Intellectual-Property

MrBrightside919:

oh shit ninja'd

Never mind him; you got ninja'd by the article. Go read the first line of the first paragraph again :P

John Funk:
It's all the more surprising that this sale came so soon after DeMartini's comments. Was this a case of the left hand simply not talking to the right hand? Did the outcry over DeMartini's comments lead to a swift reversal of position for EA?

Its alot simpler than that.

Its not that EA thinks its wrong to do, its that its wrong to do, for everyone else but EA.This is basically what I think.

Did EA really think the 3 year old mess that is DA;Origins was stil worth 40? Really? You see EA, this is why steam as sales; People actually buy things.

Also Kudos on just a terrific ideological stand on the imaginary issue of "Sales cheapening IPs". Bravo EA. You have managed to make a nonsensical, bitter sounding point in the guise of being pricipledand then shit all over your own, made up, priciples. There are layers of insincerity, stupidity and bullshit so think it will take a team of dedicated archaeologists decades to uncover every layer of EA's biblical fail.

**sigh** im so tired of this shit...

As if we needed more proof that EA are a bunch of fucktards.

hah..hah..hah HAHAHAHHA

((^seems adequate))

~_^

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Fucking hypocrites.

Seriously, is it just me or is EA coming across even more moronic than usual?

75% off Steam sales cheapen IP while 87% off Origin sales apparently don't, Dead Space 3 needs to broaden it's appeal by becoming a Gears clone, Battlefield 3 needs a COD elite style service, when not on sale every Origin game should be even more expensive than the boxed copies and so on and so forth.

They really need to have a good long look at themselves before they open their mouths again.

EDIT: The "we want to be Indie" thing comes to mind as well.

Morti:

rhizhim:

MrBrightside919:

oh shit ninja'd

Never mind him; you got ninja'd by the article. Go read the first line of the first paragraph again :P

Celebrating one year of mediocrity I assume...

In fairness, those aren't the kind of 75-80% sales one sometimes sees on Steam that contribute to the sense that unlike Origin it's worth a damn that DeMartini may have had in mind.

Still, yeah, that's got to be pretty galling. Ah, schadenfreude.

I knew exactly what this news post would be about the moment I read the title and said, "You have got to be kidding." Leave it to EA to make hilarious blunders like this. They must have the biggest PR department in the industry's history and yet they're still terrible at it... well, to anyone paying any kind of attention anyway.

Oh, EA. You're ADORABLE.

But no, I'm still not going to buy your games or use Origin, ever.

Yeah nothing on orgin I honestly wanted besides maybe the first two mass effect games and why bother with getting them there when I can wait for the steam summer sale?

Scrumpmonkey:

**sigh** im so tired of this shit...

Why? This is top-class entertainment right here. I still refuse to buy anything that requires Origin, but I'm definitely following their PR department's every move.

It's just like the monkey cage at the zoo, only now the monkeys are in charge of a multi-million dollar advertising budget.

Open mouth, insert foot. Seriously some people people just shouldn't be allowed to speak.

EDIT: For a company I mean.

I suppose they've decided to put dead space 2 on sale to drum up some interest to reach their frankly ludicrous 'worthwhile' target of 5 million copies of Dead Space 3.

For reference, Dead Space 2 sold 2 million copies. So they'll hopefully sell 3 million copies in this sale. And all those people will like it enough to buy the sequel. And none of those people like it enough to be annoyed about the change to a more actiony shooter to broaden its appeal.

Good luck EA. You gibbering morons.

I think a more appropriate analogy would be the horses head not talking to it's ass. And I'll let people decide which side of the issue is the ass... Though we all know who the ass is.

As pointed out, hypocrisy and idiocy on EA's part, blah blah. Nothing new under the sun.

Scrumpmonkey:
Did EA really think the 3 year old mess that is DA;Origins was stil worth 40? Really?

Wait, Dragon Age: Origins was a mess? I mean, due to time, it should be cheaper... but I think a great deal of Escapists are in the firm belief that Origins was one of the greatest games to come out in the past few years.

How hard is it to make the guy who made the original statement go "I looked over what I said and I was wrong, so here is some sales" in a second statement.

I dont know what EA pays their marketing department, but clearly.... its to much

Oh hey, moar EA hate.

But for people who are too busy pointing out the Vice president's hypocrisy, read what the article actually says.

Lowered prices, akin to steam.

This was probably someone in sales going "look mr vice president, that may be your stance on steam sales but it makes them money hand over fist."
"enough said, I'll put my foot in my mouth. make it happen."

Even if Origin turns into a carbon copy of steam some day, is that really a bad thing?

Know what else devalues Intellectual Property?

Flooding the market with constant releases so that we lose the ability to discern between entries, and stop wanting to pay more and more for the same thing. There's a reason no one plays Rock Band anymore, EA.

CosmicCommander:
As pointed out, hypocrisy and idiocy on EA's part, blah blah. Nothing new under the sun.

Scrumpmonkey:
Did EA really think the 3 year old mess that is DA;Origins was stil worth 40? Really?

Wait, Dragon Age: Origins was a mess? I mean, due to time, it should be cheaper... but I think a great deal of Escapists are in the firm belief that Origins was one of the greatest games to come out in the past few years.

Didn't you know? Hating EA retroactively makes things bad now too.

You mean EA cheapens IP by making dead space for dummies....

CosmicCommander:

Scrumpmonkey:

My contempt and scorn for DA;O and Dragon Age in general is well documented and borders on the irrational. Its a personal vendetta, i really dislike the games for some reason. Maybe its because i tired so hard to like them and still got nothing out of it i don't know. Anyway you are right, the main factor in its price should really be its age, leaving aside the fact that i wouldn't wipe my arse on the game.

John Funk:
and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 2142 can be had for $29.99 and $8.99 respectively (instead of $49.99 and $14.99).

I had to do a double-take there, considering I bought B:BC2 for less on Steam. Just checked the store page on Steam and yep: $19.99, not on sale. One reason why you always shop around.
Here's the webpage link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/24960/

Origin: cheapening their IP by still overpricing their IP, even by doing a sale.

BehattedWanderer:
Know what else devalues Intellectual Property?

Flooding the market with constant releases so that we lose the ability to discern between entries, and stop wanting to pay more and more for the same thing. There's a reason no one plays Rock Band anymore, EA.

That's a poor example, when you consider Rock Band hasn't been leeched as much as Guitar Hero was. Probably a good reason people don't play Rock Band is because it wasn't all that good to begin with.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here