Australian Parliament Passes R18+ Legislation

Pages PREV 1 2

I feel like saying "yay Australia" but I can't help thinking: "Has this law really stopped anybody until now?"

Conglauration! You have completed a great game! And prooved the justice of your culture!

Now go rest our heros !!!!!

ABOUT BLOODY TIME! cant wait for games i hope they uncensored Left 4 dead 2 probably not

Good work Julia? This congratulating Julia Gillard is a new experience for me :/

Honestly I really do not think this will change much. The censorship board can still ban anything it finds "unsavoury", so not much will change methinks.

Ah well, take victories when you can get them I guess. Seems to be less and less victories to celebrate now in regards to gaming.

solve media: Case Closed. If only :p

Edit* Many a 15 year old read this article and lashed out in sadness and pain.

Good news for those down under. Was always silly not to have an 18 rating.

Shalok:
Wow, something that might actually make Yahtzee happy.....

Metalrocks:
damn, why is this country so slow and behind with everything?

Do you know how expensive shipping and handling is with all of those 1's and 0's?

Never actually seen someone explain what makes stuff "unsuitable"

This was my reaction to this, even though I'm not from Australia.

Only now?
Wow you australiens are kinda slow :/

Good job Australia you fixed one of your gaming problems, now let's talk about those prices.
Edit: I believe this calls for the Australian National anthem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhnn6yb4Mmc

Congrats Australians.

*insert post lengthening sentence here*

And there was much rejoicing throughout our land.. :D

Let's not forget our hat-wearing friend, Yahtzee!

Okay I'm sorry, but I have to say this.

Andy Chalk:
Jason Clare, Australia's Federal Minister for Home Affairs, announced yesterday that R18+ legislation had successfully passed through the Senate without amendment, clearing the way for it to finally become law. "These are important reforms over ten years in the making," he said. "The R18+ category will inform consumers, parents and retailers about which games are not suitable for minors to play, and will prevent minors from purchasing unsuitable material. The reforms also mean that adults are able to choose what games they play within the bounds of the law."

Can you imagine an advertisement for this?

Come visit Australia! Our politicians are very well grounded and very attuned to modern day issues, no matter what you've heard online! Why, they're only ten years behind the rest of the civilized world!

Just to be the pessimist. This is only one step up the ladder, all the states have to take it in and seeing as how I live in Victoria (the nanny state) I'm not any level of excited.

And you know I'm still going to import cheaper games from the UK anyway, so all this means is that I wont get a fine if a Polly comes across my mailbox.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here