Zelda-Loving Dads Turn Nursery Into Hyrule

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Zelda-Loving Dads Turn Nursery Into Hyrule

This is a bedroom worthy of the Wind Waker himself.

These days, more and more young fathers come from the generation that was raised on the classic videogames of yesteryear - generation NES and beyond. Understandably, these videogame-loving dads want to share with their daughters and sons the love for fantastic worlds of pixels and polygons that they themselves had in their youth. But few gaming dads go about it in a fashion as awesome as Cole Bradburn.

"As soon as I found out we were having a boy I knew I wanted his room to inspire adventure, creativity, and exploration," wrote Bradburn on his blog. "When I was a boy, the Legend of Zelda series embodied those values for me, and the beautiful cel-shaded art style from Wind Waker/Spirit Tracks seemed to be the perfect fit for a young hero's room."

So, Bradburn enlisted his friend Wes Swain - who had proven his Nintendo chops with an adorable Yoshi's Island nursery and baby mobile for his daughter - to work some Zelda magic on the room that would be the boy's nursery when he was born. All of the art was hand-drawn on the walls, and you can see it as a work in progress at the end of the video.

The end result is spectacular and more than a little heartwarming. "In truth, I wanted to grow up in this room. I will enjoy it as much as my son will, maybe even more," wrote Bradburn. "I can't wait to rock him to sleep, telling him stories of heroes and adventure while looking at these walls."

Frankly, I can't imagine a better news post to be writing the day after Father's Day.

Source: Cole Bradburn, via Destructoid

That made me smile and is the best thing I've seen today.

I seriously wish my room was that awesome when I was growing up, lucky kid.

Awesome article John! I really appreciate the kind words! :D I hope other people enjoy a much as I did to help create it!

Now all that child needs is a fairy alarm clock to wake him up for each day's adventure.

Wow that is some dedication.
Why do I get a feeling that some people will complain for not using the other games like Link to the Past or Twilight Princess etc for his child wall?
It would be ironic if his son grow up being sick of that franchise but honestly I think he will set his son right as Link is a fine role model to follow.

Don't let him near the CD-i games!

I envy this kid, I really do. I'd love to grow up in this room. <3

Great father, and truly great work.

Oh that is so adorable! Both dads did a fantastic putting that nursery together, and I hope the baby has fun in it.

Oh... My... God...

He's officially one of the best geek parents I've ever seen, if not the best. I so envy that kid >.>'

That is a seriously epic win for that kid. Best dad ever. I wish my Dad had done something like that for me, but then again, he was the kind to play Doom and Wing Commander; not exactly inspiring source material for a little girl's room. >.>

Well I'm jealous.

I will nitpick about the master swords hilt being a little too short but that's just to help me get over my complete envy.

Skarlette:
That is a seriously epic win for that kid. Best dad ever. I wish my Dad had done something like that for me, but then again, he was the kind to play Doom and Wing Commander; not exactly inspiring source material for a little girl's room. >.>

Upon reading this I saw in my mind a double chainsaw ripping into a demon on my wall... and a blue key in the distance. If my walls weren't already covered I'd probably have to paint this weekend.

Man wish my parents had been this cool. I'm totally jealous of this kid.

Thanks Dad...All you gave me was a boring white. ...Wait a second, I totally will have a Final Fantasy/Chrono Trigger room in my house!

This is a summary of my feelings towards this.

This is awesome and very artistic, gotta love this nursery.

This is the coolest and most adorable thing I've seen in a long time.

And this years Father of the Year award goes to....

..*drumroll*..

...Cole Bradburn!

*applause*

holy shit that is awesome, gah, that is some dedication..

not to mention, saw his yoshi one, dear god, that lullaby box was so frickin awesome, I wish I kenw what i was doing with stuff like that :/

Best dad ever!

Oh God... everything is epic, but then the end came. The last song, Orchestra Gerudo Valley. My favorite song of all times. Epicness^5

The best dad ever!
I wish my dad did something like this for me. But with him constantly working... :(

I almost cried. As a HUGE Zelda fan, this was a real treat for me to see.

I only have a single fault with this entire endeavor:

Why no Skyward Sword?

what sucks is that right around... 14ish or so, the kid is going to want a more grown up room to try and act like an adult for his friends and girls. so it'll get painted over. then a few more years will pass, and when he realizes that being "cool" doesn't actually matter, and he'll want that room back.

martyrdrebel27:
what sucks is that right around... 14ish or so, the kid is going to want a more grown up room to try and act like an adult for his friends and girls. so it'll get painted over. then a few more years will pass, and when he realizes that being "cool" doesn't actually matter, and he'll want that room back.

Life is strangely sad like that.
Teenagers are weird.

I'm gonna sound like a dick but...I would have liked to see more shading in those paintings. You know, kinda like the original art. It's not that hard; they already did the hardest part. All they need now is just those extra shades to make it look like it came straight out of the game. That Link in his boar from Wind Waker just looks odd right now.

HAVING SAID THAT! I am jealous of this. I admire the skill and patience required to do this and it is for a good cause too. I'm certainly not a kid anymore but even I wish I could have a room like that. One of my majors is Drawing/Art so if I ever have the time and a good place of my own to do this, I might do something like that, only Skyward Sword themed. It would be quite a challenge, though.

He picked the worst Zelda to model after. That's all I got to say about that.

Thanks everyone, it's heartwarming to see so many kind comments. I consider myself pretty lucky to have a little guy coming to share my life with.

@John, you did an incredible write up on this, thank you very much.
"Don't let him near the CD-i games" - hilarious
@royohz - loved your comment, made me and my wife audibly laugh
@BiH-Kira - that is my absolute favorite song too! That's why I had it play for so long, it's completely amazing.

RE: Skyward Sword - didn't want to do a loftwing, and the more cartoony Zelda's are so timeless and perfect for a infant, toddler, child all the way up until middle school. We also want to inspire a sense of adventure, exploration, and self-reliance into our son... captaining a ship out in the ocean and conducting a train across the expanse seem to exude those principles.

Draconalis:
He picked the worst Zelda to model after. That's all I got to say about that.

...Can I ask you to reconsider, seeing as how it was for a LITTLE KID?!?!

Fine, ya, we all love the "mature dark edgey zelda" but for fucks sake dude... I mean c'mon. A kid. He can have the "edgey mature" zelda when he's a teenager, for now let him be a fucking kid.

@SaneAmongInsane - well said. It's easy to get wrapped up in what we would want and forget what kids may want.

SaneAmongInsane:

Fine, ya, we all love the "mature dark edgey zelda" but for fucks sake dude... I mean c'mon. A kid. He can have the "edgey mature" zelda when he's a teenager, for now let him be a fucking kid.

No Zelda has ever been "edgy and mature", but I digress. There have been plenty of Zelda art styles before your alleged "edgy and mature" came about.

I have reconsidered and find that art style still as horrific and ugly as I have always felt it was.

So awesome! That's gonna be one lucky kid. All he needs now is a Link and Zelda plush and perhaps a Triforce pillow and he's all set. Oh, and a toy Master Sword. That lil boy will be a sword master at the age of 2, I can almost guarantee it!

Along with his mother going the way of Navi, chasing him around going "Hey!" [/sarcasm]

And to think I just made the decision to get a tattoo of the Triforce symbol with the Master Sword through the middle on my back. This makes my night complete!

Wesley Swain:
Awesome article John! I really appreciate the kind words! :D I hope other people enjoy a much as I did to help create it!

You, my man...

Draconalis:

SaneAmongInsane:

No Zelda has ever been "edgy and mature", but I digress. There have been plenty of Zelda art styles before your alleged "edgy and mature" came about.

I have reconsidered and find that art style still as horrific and ugly as I have always felt it was.

I don't know, Ocarina Of Time and Twilight Princess were pretty "mature" and full of that teen angst just based on the art style alone. (Which is what I'm judging it on.)

Can I ask what version of Zelda art you would choose for your newborn child? Cause quite frankly I would either choose this or something from the SNES/NES era*... But I tend to think kids relate more to Cartoons (or at least I did growing up)

Also bare in mind, this kid in question that will be growing up with this room has no real idea what Zelda is. As far as he knows these are just some images of a kid like himself wielding a sword and going on an adventure to save a princess.

*Truth be told, if I was ever in the unlikely scenario to have a child, his room would be totally Batman and Superman. Not Zelda.

SaneAmongInsane:

I don't know, Ocarina Of Time and Twilight Princess were pretty "mature" and full of that teen angst just based on the art style alone. (Which is what I'm judging it on.)

Can I ask what version of Zelda art you would choose for your newborn child? Cause quite frankly I would either choose this or something from the SNES/NES era*... But I tend to think kids relate more to Cartoons (or at least I did growing up)

Also bare in mind, this kid in question that will be growing up with this room has no real idea what Zelda is. As far as he knows these are just some images of a kid like himself wielding a sword and going on an adventure to save a princess.

*Truth be told, if I was ever in the unlikely scenario to have a child, his room would be totally Batman and Superman. Not Zelda.

I'd go for Link's awakening myself

OoT wasn't really angsty at all, though I really do like that art as well.

I'd do my kid's room up in dragons though... cause Draco loves dragons!

Draconalis:

SaneAmongInsane:

I'd go for Link's awakening myself

OoT wasn't really angsty at all, though I really do like that art as well.

I'd do my kid's room up in dragons though... cause Draco loves dragons!

I won't deny that what you picks out works but it works for all the same reason that the Celda art works too.

It's the difference between chocolate and vanilla ice cream. Yeah, two different flavors, but at the end of the day it's just ice cream.

Draconalis:

SaneAmongInsane:

D-did you play Majora's Mask? That game is NOT for little kids. It's dark... Darker than dark.
The skull kid's laugh still haunts my dreams...

Also, Windwaker's cell shaded art style was awesome IMO.

OT: I love it. I wish I had an awesome room like that, but noooo, my parents nor I have any artistic skill, so it's just a flat blue.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here