Doom 3 BFG Edition Gets a Date and a Price

Doom 3 BFG Edition Gets a Date and a Price

We know when and we know how much, but we're still not entirely clear as to why.

I was surprised by the level of apparent excitement that greeted the announcement of the Doom 3 BFG Edition, a re-mastered re-release of id's not-quite-classic 2004 shooter. It was originally released for the PC and Xbox, so I suppose it can be argued that Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 owners haven't had a chance to play on their current platforms of choice, but so what? I played it on launch day and you can take my word for it, kids, it ain't that great.

Still, it's in the pipe and a lot of people do seem pretty hot for it, so we might as well pay attention to what's going on. So here you go: The Doom 3 BFG Edition will be out in North America on October 16 and in Europe on October 19, and will cost $29.99 for the PC version and $39.99 on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

And in all fairness, it is a pretty sweet deal, especially for gamers completely new to the franchise. It's the original Doom 3 plus the Resurrection of Evil expansion and an all-new collection of seven levels entitled The Lost Mission, remastered with better rendering and lighting effects, 5.1 sound, cheevos, checkpoint saving (although I'm not sure how that qualifies as an improvement) and more. Versions of the original Doom and Doom 2 that are playable on current-gen hardware are also part of the package and the hero, Private Thickarm Whatshisnuts, has even discovered the magic of duct tape and can now hold his gun and a flashlight at the same time. Saints be praised!

If it gave the PC version official co-op I'd buy it.

Seeing as I have every Doom game I won't be getting this as the improvements probably won't be as good as the duct-tape mod or Perfected DOOM.

I'll probably buy it at some point, being a doom nut, but seriously, where the hell is doom 4?

As long as you hold that opinion of Doom 3, Andy, we can't be friends.

Seems reasonable. I'll have to pick this up eventually.

Hey! Hey... Hey. It wasn't that awful. It was actually fairly good. because I was 14 when I played it on xbox and remember it well that means it was good.

Nah, I know it wasn't that great, but I think it was still some good fun. I hope this version is just as fun as I remember it being 6 or 7 years ago... like battlefront 2.

I'm really looking forward to this. I once watched my friend play Doom 3 and it looked really awesome. 40 seems like a good price.

Duct tape: humanity's mightiest weapon.

Needs moar happy days.

duct tape, an engeneers best friend

Improved lighting effects? Do they mean light can travel more than three feet and reach places not in direct view of the light source now?

What I'd like to know is, does this version have all the same stuff that the PC version had back in the day? Like the Martian Buddy Lockers?

40$ for the pc version?? still not sure though. maybe it if its on special i might buy it then. but for now. i can sit back and enjoy other games like AC3.

Wake me when the re-make the original DOOM in Doom 3's engine. A modder already beat them to the punch for the first episode, so a third of the work's already done! Get to it, id!

I'm sure I'll buy it for the 360 but not until the price drops. I'm interested, but there are a great many other games (and things) I'm more interested in.

Actually, the more I think about it the less interested I am. Maybe I'll just rent it. ;D

Andy Chalk:
Private Thickarm Whatshisnuts, has even discovered the magic of duct tape and can now hold his gun and a flashlight at the same time.

Part of the tension in the original came from the fact that you couldn't use your flashlight and a gun at the same time.

Some of my favourite moments in the game are from firefights illuminated only by muzzle flare.

I think I'll be picking this up for PS3 since I don't still own a copy of the third game and really, that's the point of this, for people who didn't play (or haven't recently played) the originals to have some context for the fourth installment. Still don't know why people have such a hard time figuring that out.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here