Developer Surprised by Anarchy Reigns Delay

Developer Surprised by Anarchy Reigns Delay

Platinum Games found out about the delay of Anarchy Reigns the same way you did.

"First of all, we are done with all international versions of Anarchy Reigns. The delay is not due to further development on the game," tweeted producer, Atsushi Inaba.

"Today's Q1 2013 release news was the first we'd heard of it. Even if we wanted to, we can't comment as we're (still) in the dark officially," he added.

Sega announced the title's delay yesterday. Like many of the games demoed at this year's E3, it's being pushed back to the incredibly crowded first quarter 2013 release window. The Japanese version of the game, entitled Max Anarchy is still set to launch on July 5th. This is the second time the game's western release has been delayed.

So if the game is effectively finished, why on earth would Sega even consider pushing the game back to Q1 2013, where it will have to compete with a ton of top-tier titles including Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite? Inaba made it clear that no extra content was being added to the Western release.

Source: Twitter via GameIndustryBiz

It's simple: we kill the Batman. they simply are overestimating their own game, and underestimating their own stupidity. That, or the devs secretly hate this project and want it to flop, and this is the most obvious way to bring that about.

Konami is that you?

Sega WTF?! I have been waiting like mad for this.

And I would have bought on 1st day release too!

ARGH!

I don't.....what?

Sega must hate money if they're doing this.

sega: we hate money, give it to popcap instead

Seems real weird to me, I think the same thing happened with Bayonetta too. For some reason Sega just wanted to artificially delay release. I mean I have almost NOTHING to play right now except Diablo 3 and I'm even getting pretty tired of that 120+ hours in and I have 500 bucks to spare, I'm almost willing to buy just about any game right now. Sega, you so silly.

LazyAza:
Seems real weird to me, I think the same thing happened with Bayonetta too. For some reason Sega just wanted to artificially delay release. I mean I have almost NOTHING to play right now except Diablo 3 and I'm even getting pretty tired of that 120+ hours in and I have 500 bucks to spare, I'm almost willing to buy just about any game right now. Sega, you so silly.

I know right? so few games compared to last year, I'm basically alternating between Battlefield 3, Dota 2 and Mount & Blade

If devs were SMART they wouldn't release so many games during the Nov-Jan month.

They'd at least TRY and release some major titles throughout the year.

But, hey, this is the SAME industry that's getting away with putting out half-made, bug ridden, garbage and then patching them (if we're lucky) a few months later.

Seriously?
FUCK-THIS-GEN

>_>

They might be trying to avoid the quiet 'summer release zone'. Is it me, or is it only quiet because nobody releases anything? If they release some games it probably wouldn't be quiet.

Tanis:
If devs were SMART they wouldn't release so many games during the Nov-Jan month.

They'd at least TRY and release some major titles throughout the year.

But, hey, this is the SAME industry that's getting away with putting out half-made, bug ridden, garbage and then patching them (if we're lucky) a few months later.

Seriously?
FUCK-THIS-GEN

>_>

Didn't releasing the buggy as hell games work the last couple generations as well? They just didn't bother fixing them after.

CJ1145:
It's simple: we kill the Batman. they simply are overestimating their own game, and underestimating their own stupidity. That, or the devs secretly hate this project and want it to flop, and this is the most obvious way to bring that about.

Ah! Mystery solved. /thread

But seriously... Sega...

RELEASE THE FUCKING GAME!!!

I used all caps for that, so you know I mean business.

I...what? You have a game that is finished, you aren't havin more content for it made at the moment, and you choose not to release it to a portion of your customers. Not only do you choose not to release it, you decide to sit on it for at least half a year.

What kind of weird strategy is this?

uh, why do some people in this thread seem to be blaming the developers for what the publisher is doing?

I can understand this. The publishers are worried that the game won't sell well, so they are testing it with a smaller market. Perfectly reasonable.

Q1 2013? When it's already finished? What?

saintdane05:
I can understand this. The publishers are worried that the game won't sell well, so they are testing it with a smaller market. Perfectly reasonable.

Not if the international version is ready to go like they claim.
It's already developed and ready to ship. The money is spent. All they can do at this point is make the money back.

Unless Sega is reconsidering the costs for distribution* I cannot think of any rational reason to do that. They've already paid for the game; release it!

(*currency exchange losses being the only reason I can think of; maybe they anticipate a stronger US dollar in Q1 2013? What the hell is going on in Japan?)

With that, July just become a desert.

Sega: If we can't shove Sonic in it somehow, we will go out of our way to make it fail!

dogstile:
Didn't releasing the buggy as hell games work the last couple generations as well? They just didn't bother fixing them after.

Yep, they did, but the games were panned and often failed because of it.

Nowadays releasing half a game and releasing DLC seems to be the norm, and even accepted.

Maybe they're under the impression that their game is the absolute best game ever to come out, and think not only will they get all the game sales, they'll be cheating competitors out of sales too.

In which case they're deluded and should know better, otherwise, seems like they're just lazy to me.

Captcha: foul play. Could be involved...

Too bad nothing competes with Bioshock: Infinite. Move your release dates are far away as possible people.

Skipping the summer months is in some way understandable. But having a complete game and postponing it to a demolishing season rather than releasing it on autumn or christmas season is just plain stupid.

Darn. I was really looking forward to playing this, and probably buying it, this summer. There's really nothing else competing for my money right now. But now it's entirely likely that I, and most other folks, are going to get so distracted by the rush of games around the holidays and in that very Q1, that Anarchy Reigns is going to get skipped over.

This is an immensely stupid business decision.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a ploy by SEGA to try to release a game surrounded by triple A games. This either being preformed so they can wash their hands with Platinum Games and say "yep, your game sucks, we told you so", or so they can get satisfaction if they end up beating some of said triple A titles. Neither will end well.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here