Nintendo Wants Wii U The "Preferred" Console for Hardcore Gamers

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Karloff:
It sees the Wii U as the perfect add-on to that style of living; the ideal second console in a core gaming household.

The ideal second console? That's a defeatist attitude.

If they really want me to start to play that then give me a more ergonomic controller, and not a stupid tablet. It looks neat to begin but not comfortable for the longer stretches of gaming.

Hardcore players don't like playing games with an etch-a-sketch.

That's a pretty big hurdle for this console to overcome to reach that demographic.

Y'know... I, for one, am willing to give them a fair shake at my business. I pretty much hate the Wii due to its controls, which are its defining feature and therefore my hatred is pretty fundamental. That doesn't mean that the hand-held screen thing they seem to be working on with this Wii U isn't an innovative and possibly really good idea. I'd like to get my hands on some game I like and try it out before I nix its potential place in my console collection at the very least. I cut my teeth on Nintendo back in the day, and up until the Wii never had a reason to shun them like I've felt compelled to do these past few years.

I would like to present to all of you, Nintendo when it's thinking of things to do and say:

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAHAHAHAHA

oh lord...sorry..but.what?

if they can tell me how the Wii U is going to be better than my PS3 then by all means..try and convince me

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

You don't have to like the Wii. But Nintendo is the only one of the three who's bread and butter business is videogames. If they were to go under, then gaming would lose the only dedicated company. The other two companies are only in gaming for as long as it keeps their stock prices up. Nintendo is in gaming for the long haul.

An industry where gaming consoles are dictated entirely by non-gaming companies would be a sad fucking place indeed.

what difference does that actually make? weather thats truw or nor the Wii is still a peice of crap in my eyes....

Nintendo's main buisness might be gaming...but they are still a buisness (who seems to be wanting to cut in on the "social" pie) I don;t even think Nintendo started out as a gaming company way back when

medv4380:
Last time they went down this road it was for "Mature" gamers, and we got "Conker's Bad Fur Day". Lets hope they learned from that mistake.

Really, all they have to do is get 3rd parties back and they'll be fine. The loss of every 3rd party to Sony during the N64/PS days was bad and they never really recovered the 3rd party support since then.

"conkers bad fur day" was made by RARE

BiH-Kira:
Funny post is funny.

1. Short answer, no. Long answer.... well, still no. If the "hardcore" gamer wanted high end specs, they wouldn't be playing on the PS3 or 360, but on a high end PC. Ya know, that's high end specs, not 7 year old technology that wasn't high end even on release.

that doesnt mean you don't want your console to not have some decent power

just look at the Wii....it was pretty much a gamecube which ment alot of the best multiplatform games (99% of all games I give a shit about) arnt on it

just because you have a console doesnt mean you want to settle for last gen graphics/hardware

3. You don't have to use the tablet controller. Unless the game was specifically designed to be played on the tablet controller, you can use the Pro controller without problems. And I doubt that the "core" developer will try to do something innovative when porting th next Battlefield of Duty. Seriously... EA, Activison? Innovative? The Pro controller was specifically designed to be used in games like CoD and BF.

I think you can only call somthing "innovative" after it proves itself to be inovative

. HAHAHAHAHA.... no good exclusives... damn you made me laugh really hard.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_games

HAHAHAHAHA

you do realise alot of those you could probably get on current systms? or...THEY HAVE ALREADY BEEN OUT FOR MONTHS

its only good for somone who has been gaming undera a rock and might want to catch up on those titles they missed

Loop Stricken:
Nintendo may want it, but I very much doubt they're going to get it.

The lead in this area seems to change every generation! Starting after the crash Nintendo dominated with NES, then they continued on top with Super NES, then they fell behind to Sony as top dog for two generations, PS1 and PS2, then Microsoft took over top spot with xbox360 (I know some people will want to argue this point).

The only thing consistent about the market is that the leader seems to always change. If Nintendo has really learned its lessons from the Wii (lowest software sales per console?) then they have a good chance at achieving what they are aiming for, as modest as it is if you read between the lines.

This is coming from a PC gamer who hasn't touched a console since PS2.

Waaghpowa:
Well to be fair, Nintendo will be the only console I will even bother buying unless Sony has a new Metal Gear game. Otherwise I would stick to just PC games entirely.

MGS 5 got officially announced today by Kojima himself. what are the odds?
I guess the Wii is outta luck then?

FoolKiller:

Karloff:
It sees the Wii U as the perfect add-on to that style of living; the ideal second console in a core gaming household.

The ideal second console? That's a defeatist attitude.

If they really want me to start to play that then give me a more ergonomic controller, and not a stupid tablet. It looks neat to begin but not comfortable for the longer stretches of gaming.

Actually Nintendo said during E3 that there will be a "standard" controller for (hardcore) gaming (It looks like a Xbox 360 controller knockoff but with the Dpad and Left analog positions SWITCHED) which sorta makes the tablet controller redundant

RicoADF:

Nintendo isn't the issue, as the 64 was a good hardcore console for its time.

Personally, I think that's ridiculous. However comma, the problem is, there's been a couple of consoles released since the N64, and Nintendo's managed to craft itself a certain image in that time.

to add to sleekit's stack of talkins, if what he says is right, then motorola's imposed royalties (which are probably going to be incurred for every xbox sold) means that microsoft is taking on even more losses, and the software developers will dodge that one entirely, which digs the hole that much deeper

still gonna give this thing a shot though, people at these conventions say that the controller is lighter than it looks, so i'm not too concerned about ergonomics right now

Vault101:
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAHAHAHAHA

oh lord...sorry..but.what?

if they can tell me how the Wii U is going to be better than my PS3 then by all means..try and convince me

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

You don't have to like the Wii. But Nintendo is the only one of the three who's bread and butter business is videogames. If they were to go under, then gaming would lose the only dedicated company. The other two companies are only in gaming for as long as it keeps their stock prices up. Nintendo is in gaming for the long haul.

An industry where gaming consoles are dictated entirely by non-gaming companies would be a sad fucking place indeed.

what difference does that actually make? weather thats truw or nor the Wii is still a peice of crap in my eyes....

Nintendo's main buisness might be gaming...but they are still a buisness (who seems to be wanting to cut in on the "social" pie) I don;t even think Nintendo started out as a gaming company way back when

Agreed, Good luck Nintendo in convincing (from the recent news I've seen they have resorted to BRIBING) scorned developers from this console generation to make an effort on your system, remember what they promised last time for 3rd party support that quickly died out since they were doing just fine selling their "little" (compared to the other consoles) stash of original (yea right) Ip's (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros, Mario Kart etc. etc)that have been rebooted over and over way before the term "Reboot" became a fad used when someone decide to restart a gaming/movie series from scratch

They are living in their little world surrounded by Nintendo products and people that find no wrong in them and don't see what actual gamers do on the "other side" of the console border. They should take this seriously and prepare within the nnext two years and this sudden turn of face to "embrace hardcore" ain't helping since gamers want a DEDICATED system that will provide what they want and not just release one or two "multi-platform" games once in a blue moon with next to none in-house original hardcore games, We already have that in the Xbox 360, PS3 AND PC (not a console I know).

They're betting on the 3rd party developers to turn this shit in their favor... good luck with that

FantomOmega:
Agreed, Good luck Nintendo in convincing (from the recent news I've seen they have resorted to BRIBING) scorned developers from this console generation to make an effort on your system, remember what they promised last time for 3rd party support that quickly died out since they were doing just fine selling their "little" (compared to the other consoles) stash of original (yea right) Ip's (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros, Mario Kart etc. etc)that have been rebooted over and over way before the term "Reboot" became a fad used when someone decide to restart a gaming/movie series from scratch

They are living in their little world surrounded by Nintendo products and people that find no wrong in them and don't see what actual gamers do on the "other side" of the console border. They should take this seriously and prepare within the nnext two years and this sudden turn of face to "embrace hardcore" ain't helping since gamers want a DEDICATED system that will provide what they want and not just release one or two "multi-platform" games once in a blue moon with next to none in-house original hardcore games, We already have that in the Xbox 360, PS3 AND PC (not a console I know).

They're betting on the 3rd party developers to turn this shit in their favor... good luck with that

I don't know about anyone else, but as far as I'm concerned platform exclusives don't really seem a big deal to me, granted the PS3's (infamous and Uncharted) did factor when it came time to get a console...but even then aside from gears of war I really can't think of any XBOX exclusives I know of that itnerest me

multiplatform games are where its at for me...since I started out on an adequet PC and were it not for certain factors I'd game on PC exclusivly

as some people forget we can't all own more than one platform

anyway my point with that is...the BIGGEST issue I have which that being the case then "core" games really arnt going to be into a console thats a generation behined.....

because I get the feeling thats was part of the Wii's lack of decent games (what about mario- FUCK OFF! I don't like mario!) it can;t play Bioshock because the hardware can't suport it

and with a next gen coming at some point....again, how is this better than my PS3 and PC?

Nintendo may want the hardcore gamers, but that won't be reflected in the hardcore gamers view of the Wii U.

While the Wii did prove that Nintendo is still a contender for our money, it will never shake it's 'family-friendly' image and last time I checked, M15+ games are not 'family friendly'

"Hey, wanna play CoD on the WHEEEOOOOOWHEEEEOOOOWHEEEEOOOO?!"
Tell me what's wrong with that picture.

See, I wouldn't mind if my system was named Poopatron500. But if you're trying to attract the HXC frat guys who only play FPS, you started off with the wrong foot already. It's not like Xbox360 and PS3 ooze masculinity but you gotta admit they're not as whimsically fun and silly as the Wii and WiiU are being portrayed.

I applaud Nintendo for many things. For the fact that they still remain a videogame console, for having fun games here and there, for keeping franchises alive without driving them to the ground and so on. But I just don't like their new gimmicky controllers! THAT is what keeps me from going back to Nintendo. I just like to lie back on the couch and play, not move my Wiimote in weird ways while playing.

Sorry, Nintendo. You gotta try harder.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
OK yeah, all jokes about the Wii aside... you know what? I think they're going to make a decent stab at it.

Wow, someone on the escapist trying ot look objectively at something that has with Nintendo to do. Kudos to you!
Personally I am most likely getting it at some point, there'll be loads of games I'll want to play. I don't mind or care about anything that has with "hradcore" or "casual" to do, I play games I enjoy, label them anyway you want.

I really don't know why. Last I checked nintendo dominated this generation in terms of sales. Just stick to what you're good at.

Besides, I still don't like that controller. Not only does it look uncomfortable to hold, but I hate the idea of important things like minimaps being stuck on it.

So, anyone still arguing that Nintendo isnt raving lunatics? i mean the signs have been around for what, last 10 years? how do they even stay afloat? are there so many idiot suckers that still buy their products?

Extremely doubtful they'll get what they want, I doubt I'd purchase the Wii U. Every time I look at their controller I think no my hands will curse me every time I use it because it looks so uncomfortable and heavy, so long sessions of gaming are out. Plus the only thing that looks worthwile on the console is that zelda graphics demo...but eh, I haven't bothered with Skyward Sword I don't think a zelda game will tempt me onto the Wii U.

I Actually snorted in derision when I read the headline... I don't think that's happened before.

JokerboyJordan:
*le snip*

just for a second get off the fanboy defensive and personal attacks..

i am not a "Nintendo fanboy". i own 9 consoles. only one of them is made by Nintendo and its a SNES (not counting my GBA) although i considering buy a cube with the GBA addon purely to play GBA games on a TV.

i am a gamer. a very old gamer who has had that as my primary hobby/preferred entertainment for almost as long as it is possible to have been so and who has followed the industry and the stories within it very closely.

i don't care who makes the best next generation console because the simple fact is consoles manufacturers don't make games and i play (what i consider to be good) games not consoles.

as such no producer of a lump of plastic and circuit board deserves "brand loyalty".

none.

but certainly not one who thinks its ok to sell a consumer electronics product at hundreds of pounds each which have a recorded failure rate as high as 50%.

i know what MS is and i know what the guiding principals and the nature of the characters who run it are. i have read a great deal on those people, their history and their storys.

it is not a games company. they don't give a toss about making "good" games and they don't care about "gamers" and my only reaction to people like you who clearly want to lift and wave the banner for them is that your "loyalty" is misplaced and misguided.

i may buy a Wii U when the time comes but the solid truth is the only reason it is prompting my interest atm is the Dragon Quest X mmo (Dragon Quest VIII being one of my favourite games ever as witnessed by my avatar) and, to a lesser extent, the very real possibility of a Pokemon mmo.

you may now get back to interacting with those others who still think scoring "points" in discussion on a subject you are both interest in is what having a conversation is about...

Yeah, you should of thought of that before you decided to design that horrible touchscreen controller, Nintendo.

I like buttons and not having to take my eyes of the TV/computer screen, thank you.

Not that it won't sell, having the Nintendo and Wii brand attached to it.

Sleekit:

as such no producer of a lump of plastic and circuit board deserves "brand loyalty".

but certainly not one who thinks its ok to sell a consumer electronics product at hundreds of pounds each which have a recorded failure rate as high as 50%.

you may now get back to interacting with others who think scoring "points" in discussion is what conversation is about.

I have brand loyalty to many different computer parts, sometimes for completely foolish reasons, sometimes for genuine. But hardware design is just as difficult a feat as game design and if someone likes a particular brand of joystick/graphics card/console; good on them. However perhaps you were suggesting that games deserve a greater level of brand loyalty than consoles, but it's ridiculous to say that hardware doesn't deserve any brand loyalty from anyone ever.

And secondly, you finish your post belittling people for "Scoring points" when your whole post seemed to be much the same... I've left the 50% failure rate dig in for emphasise.

This is all,

LordFish:

Sleekit:

you may now get back to interacting with others who think scoring "points" in discussion is what conversation is about.

I have brand loyalty to many different computer parts, sometimes for completely foolish reasons, sometimes for genuine. But hardware design is just as difficult a feat as game design and if someone likes a particular brand of joystick/graphics card/console; good on them. However perhaps you were suggesting that games deserve a greater level of brand loyalty than consoles, but it's ridiculous to say that hardware doesn't deserve any brand loyalty from anyone ever.

And secondly, you finish your post belittling people for "Scoring points" when your whole post seemed to be much the same... I've left the 50% failure rate dig in for emphasise.

This is all,

that "dig" is aimed the manufacturer not Jordan.

i generally buy consoles one generation behind and collect games retrospectively once all the opinions (uncoloured by transient hype) are in.

in general this costs a great deal less while at the same time allows me to both justify and own a vast collection.

the 50% failure rate on 360s is taken from wikipedias page on the console and is a number i came down on where looking at the truth behind the "red ring of death" issue.

due to it i won't buy one.

its that simple.

i consider a manufacturer selling something with a 50% failure rate...well, insulting to consumers would be one way of putting it.

i will probably acquire one from people who hand me their old stuff eventually but from a collectors pov why would i invest in something as a platform which is clearly not of sufficiently reliable build quality to fit into the way i build my retrospective collection ?

the prospect of a console dying on me is actually quite a frightening prospect given the nature of my investment in collected games on various aged platforms however its only since the last two console generations that its ever really been an issue and that bothers me (ie the decline in hardware quality/reliability)

tbh i'm of the opinion that it should bother everybody but then i guess most modern gamers don't have the same long term perspective when looking at hardware that i do nor do most modern gamers have the same issues with justifying expenditure because of the primary nature of their economic demographic.

I can't blame them for wanting the hardcore market. The reality is that they're now competing with tablets, smartphones, and browser based games for the casual market which they weren't doing 6 years ago which means their share of casuals is almost definitely going to shrink substantially. Why buy a Wii-U when mom and dad are already gaming on Facebook, or already spent several hundred on iPads?

But after the Gamecube being a rather dismal market failure and the Wii outright abandoning hardcore gamers in favour of a market that's now kind of abandoning Nintendo, do we really expect the people buying 360's and COD are going to care about Nintendo all of a sudden?

They're not going to get it. Their controller is unintuitive and excessive, and the rest of their features aren't going to do anything to draw in the hardcore crowd.

mrdude2010:
They're not going to get it. Their controller is unintuitive and excessive, and the rest of their features aren't going to do anything to draw in the hardcore crowd.

its not going to be the only controller.

i think judging a console on a single peripheral is clearly a red herring.

the N64 had an awful controller that was jarring to a great many. i still don't get what that trident like thing was all about after the near perfection that was the SNES controller layout (that's virtually been adopted/evolved by everybody since) but it's still mooted in this very thread as Nintendos last great console by some of the very same people discounting the Wii U on the basis of it's controller...

the touch screen "tablet" controller offers a great many interesting possibilities especially in relation to games not commonly played on consoles due to lack of available controls like MMOs or RTSs and other basic functionality consoles have previously been denied like keyboards.

its potential nature in use (when not being used as a controller for a game on the big TV) as a low cost "tablet" that streams from a more powerful in situ home machine is also interesting not least because i solves two of the problems related to playing games on an ipad like product those being the performance/power issues required for decent modern gaming fidelity and the fact tablets currently don't have a control interface really suitable for gaming whereas this product has the traditional gamers stick/pad and buttons layout.

but there is way too much comment on it than it's due...mostly due to a very bad launch presentation which was sooo bad it left some people thinking the controller was the entire console...

the truth is this is a Wii U :

its a nondescript box of consumer electronics pretty much like any other.

and until we see what it can do and what games can be played on it none of us are really in a position to judge.

Strazdas:
So, anyone still arguing that Nintendo isnt raving lunatics? i mean the signs have been around for what, last 10 years? how do they even stay afloat?

That's how.

Strazdas:
are there so many idiot suckers that still buy their products?

Ya, we're all idiot suckers, we just can't help falling into the trap of cheap, reliable consoles with innovative controls and host of unique, high quality first party titles that can appeal to multiple family members.
And for some reason we just can't help coming back for more. We must truly be deranged.

Vault101:

medv4380:
Last time they went down this road it was for "Mature" gamers, and we got "Conker's Bad Fur Day". Lets hope they learned from that mistake.

Really, all they have to do is get 3rd parties back and they'll be fine. The loss of every 3rd party to Sony during the N64/PS days was bad and they never really recovered the 3rd party support since then.

"conkers bad fur day" was made by RARE

Yes, but under NORMAL Nintendo policy Conker wouldn't have been allowed. It would have gone the way of the Binding of Issac.

EHKOS:

Truly-A-Lie:
Good luck with that when you've given up on improving your online service. People still take the piss out of PSN for not being up to standard, how exactly will WiiU's network be treated if they've said they aren't going to be able/going to try to catch up with either PSN or XBL?

What IS wrong with PSN? I've heard people say they hate it a lot but they've never said why. I use it and I like it.

Same. As far as I can tell it's the lack of party chat and the frequent maintenance. But if I had to guess what it really was I'd say they judged it from its first few months where it didn't have many features and haven't updated their opinions as its improved.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
Actually, HUD design is something of a controversial area in game design right now. There's mounting evidence that removing clutter from the screen helps immerse the player better in the world, and distracts them less. Think about it: if you're playing a game where there is this much clutter covering up the screen, all that's going to do is serve to remind you that you're playing an artificial game on a TV screen. If you can remove needless clutter and instead focus on incorporating some of those elements into the gameworld itself, rather than laying them over the top, then you can more easily convince the player that they're taking part in an adventure, not simply playing a game.

I agree. And the answer lies in finding new ways to incorporate that information and fix the current situation, not slide it all to a new screen and creating new problems. Can we do any of this audibly? LA Noire used "talk to your buddy for driving directions" to great effect without giving us GPS in the '50s. What info doesn't need to be shown at all? Shooters have all but ditched the health bar. Maybe some other info can go away, as well.

In this regard, the Wii U could actually be something of a step forwards. Action games will still have all the relevant info you need, but it won't be overlaid on top of your character and distracting you with its flashy neon colours. There's a lot to be said for understated, simple design and minimalist HUD elements.

... aaaaaaaaaand there goes your argument. A step forward? Understated and simple? They said they're going to move all of the HUD info to a separate screen. Now you have to manage TWO screens. Your head bounces back and forth. You could make an argument that maaaaaaybe this is a step sideways, but realistically, we've taken two steps forward, Nintendo is takin' two steps baaaack. We come togetherrrr, cuz ohhhh-poe-zits attract! And you know, it ain't fic- *ahem*

Sorry.

I think improving the current HUD layout is a huge need. Moving it as-is to another screen fixes nothing. It just distracts you MORE, because you need to look down, and then back, and then down, and then back.

Here's a short play I've written to illustrate my point:

Me: "My house is a cluttered mess. I can't find anything!"

Reggie: "Hey, I know. I have this shed. Let me build it across the street from your house and move your cluttered mess over there! Then your house will be CLEAN!"

Me: "How will this help me actually find what I'm looking for when I need it?"

Reggie: "Oh, it won't. If anything, it will make it worse, because now you have to cross the street to go through your mess and find what you need.... but at least your house will be clean!!!"

and yet we (gamers) raved about possibilities of the VMU on the dreamcast...

i think in all honesty people are blinded by current trends in the market.

the fact is one of the reasons shooters are so massively prevalent on consoles (in comparison with other game types) is due to the lack of control options on consoles.

its not just about display. its also about control.

the thing is a (large) touch screen which gives near limitless options in that respect.

i think anyone can possibly look at it in an unbiased way if they choose to do so and see how it could possibly be applied to things such as the interface components virtually required in other more complicated games types such as MMOs and some RPGs for example.

Fumbles:

JokerboyJordan:

=y:

I really do want this console to succeed. Mainly because of nostalgia but also because I'd hate to see Nintendo fall.

Well that's a coincidence, as I really want Nintendo to fail, extremely badly.
Think of it as karma for the Wii, for all those good 3rd party games that were stuck on the most inferior console,for all that time and money spent buying the thing only to not have touched it in more than a year, for the sheer luck of them catching lightning in a bottle.
I want them to fail so hard they'll stop producing consoles, and focus back on the handhelds.

But more than that, I want them to fail...because it will be fucking glorious

I whole heartedly agree with you. I also want them to fail for knocking SEGA off...

Sega killed itself.

I have hopes for the WiiU... Very, very little hopes, but they are there regardless. Hopefully being able to compete with the others in games means more AAA 3rd party titles mixed in with the usualy Zelda, Mario, Metroid ect. It could be an other gamecube. Not as hard core as the xbox, but come on who didnt have fun with the cube?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here