Japan May Make YouTube Illegal

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Japan May Make YouTube Illegal

A change in Japanese copyright laws revives bad memories of SOPA and PIPA.

When SOPA and PIPA came into being it was with a fanfare, and they went out in much the same way. They do things differently in Japan, and when the last Aum cult member - a man accused of conspiring to release Sarin nerve gas on the Tokyo subway - was arrested, among the news buried on the back pages that same day was a little-remarked item that said a revision to copyright law had been passed by the House of Representatives. The revision went through without discussion, opposition or much media coverage, and the end result is that, when the law comes into force in October, it will be illegal for Japanese citizens to watch protected material via YouTube - even if they happen to be doing it in Los Angeles.

Attorney at law Toshimitsu Dan points out that the revisions effectively make three acts illegal: ripping and copying of copy-protected and encoded materials (which are no longer covered by a personal use exemption); the sale of software and hardware that circumvents copy protection; and the intentional download of illegally uploaded materials. Or, as the newspaper Yomiuri Shimbun puts it, "even one click is now a crime." Punishment includes a fine of up to about US$25,000 and/or a prison sentence of not more than two years. But the really fun part is that, thanks to some remarkably lax wording in the revision, the penalties can apply to Japanese citizens even if they don't happen to be in Japan at the time. Someone idling away on YouTube while waiting for their plane at LAX, is just as liable as someone ripping DVDs in Yokohama.

There has been no opposition to the revisions to date, and precious little public discussion. The only people who know much about it are the otaku, a subculture that is not well respected by many Japanese. This means that, come October, the revisions will become law. Arrests will no doubt follow soon afterward, and whether the accused is a pirate movie mogul or just some schlub watching smile videos on Nico Nico Douga is ultimately a matter of chance.

Source: Kotaku

Wow and I thought Japan couldn't get any weirder.

It's japan are we honestly surprised?

If this law applies to Japanese outside Japan, does that equally mean that it doesn't apply to non-Japanese inside Japan?

Also...how will the know if Japanese outside Japan watch Youtube videos?

Please do not effect NicoNico douga.

PLEASE!

For SHAAAME Japan! Hopefully all of the Otaku over there know of this and are trying to fight it...

saintdane05:
Please do not effect NicoNico douga.

PLEASE!

I hope this kind of stupid law will bite Japan in the ass.

Better to read it here than on Kotaku.

"We're glad it's happening, everything from Japan sucks" Wankers.

Well, looks like Japan went full retard.

When will they learn!

So violating schoolgirl orifices is fine, but not violating copyright?

Oh Japan, sometimes you make me confused, Now I just feel sad for you.

Really?

out of all the things in your country, THIS is what you make illegal?

just....

fuck.

I feel sorry for them then.

rolfwesselius:

Yes...

Japan may be "weird" but would you suddenly expect Japan to effectively ban all Anime clips, tribute videos?
Didn't think so...

Antonio Torrente:

It will.

Take away the Japanese peoples Anime and come next election the offending parties will sever win a seat ever again.

NND is doomed

cue all of NND's userbase coming to youtube

that'll be fun

Really this is nothing huge for Japan. "Otaku" will get mad but they take up a pretty small and disliked minority. Thing is, piracy through normal means is pretty much impossible there (no real BT or direct download sites hosted in Japan, at the very most you could find a small private community). The major media conglomerates have already been ripping down copyrighted material off of the video sites (ever tried to get a new anime/jpop music single off of youtube?). In short, not much will change other than the fact that the people doing it might now be prosecuted as a show of force and seriousness in the beginning. But the Japanese otaku have been using alternative and secure/anonymous forms of file sharing for a while now.

this or the bagel body mod....not sure which one is more retarded...

DVS BSTrD:
So violating schoolgirl orifices is fine, but not violating copyright?

Makes sense when failing to show up in uniform means expulsion but using plagiarism for a school assignment is just fine.

Comando96:

rolfwesselius:

Yes...

Japan may be "weird" but would you suddenly expect Japan to effectively ban all Anime clips, tribute videos?
Didn't think so...

Antonio Torrente:

It will.

Take away the Japanese peoples Anime and come next election the offending parties will sever win a seat ever again.

Not really. The people really into anime in Japan are generally disliked by the general populace. They hold as much sway over the voting process in Japan as Bronies have in America.

OT: America was way out in front in the race of "Most brainless country on the planet, but Japan is fighting from behind to catch-up!

Comando96:

rolfwesselius:

Yes...

Didn't think so...

Antonio Torrente:

It will.

Most of the anime stuff you see uploaded to Youtube is done by non-Japanese. You do have some, but not that many. And if it's new and the owners have a presence in the US, they still often do issue DMCA orders.

And you seriously think anime-watchers constitute a large enough voting block to affect the elections even a little? And this isn't a matter of "taking away" anime, only taking down copyrighted stuff off of video sites. It's not really even controversial for the vast majority of citizens. Young people in general take up an increasingly small amount of the population.

captcha: know your rights

Japan is where the US wants to be now.....

Japan wanted SOPA ... it failed.
The TPP is still moving slowly and at least New Zealnd will challenge it on basis of human rights.

So logical conclusion, do it on your own.

Poor Japanese sure don't seem to be as efficient at creating grassroots campaigns using social media. Sadly, for that very reason, they are now screwed.

Is this another attempt to increase birthrates? Like, maybe if they slowly ban everything on the internet they'll go outside, and maybe start fucking again.

Oh boy, an article about Japan. There's no way that this could go wrong!

WaysideMaze:
Is this another attempt to increase birthrates? Like, maybe if they slowly ban everything on the internet they'll go outside, and maybe start fucking again.

I know you probably meant that as a joke, but many Japanese do attribute the expansion of the Internet and popular culture to the decrease in births.

I don't see how this is only a problem for otakus. Don't other japanese people use Youtube or similar sites? They may not be actively looking for copyrighted material, but they might watch copyrighted material without knowing it's copyrighted, which would result in people getting fined or even jailed for clicking on a link to a video.

Somewhere out there, in a large office building in California, theres a load of suits watching this process unfold and being extremely jealous of the situation.

Its only a matter of time before this kind of thing comes back to threaten the west too. I can't see this passing in either hemisphere, imagine the outcry......again.

Comando96:

rolfwesselius:

Yes...

Didn't think so...

Antonio Torrente:

It will.

I don't want any ill things to happen to Japan since they already suffered that earthquake and nuclear plant accident but things like this it kinda pisses you off and if they law is passed, it will give justification for those assholes in the US congress to pursue another bullshit censorship law.

Tentacle rape: Good

Watching Youtube: BAAAAAAD

Japan clearly has it's priorities right.

Grumpy old men who cannot get it up need to fuck off. I am so sick of this, especially in the USA where I live.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's just one small part of a big conspiracy to force young Japanese to get off the internet. With the thought being that once their off the internet their young males will start making babies.

The problem is that there is not way in hell they could track down one guy who was seraching up a cat video on youtube in America.

I love the article title but laws like these already exist in america as well. The DMCA that was passed in 2010 made it illegal to rip or by pass any copy protection on dvd/bluray/game disc even for personal use. These type of laws are impossible to enforce/monitor, however they exist now for tack on charges if you are caught illegally downloading/uploading copyrighted materials.

pointless vandalism:
Grumpy old men who cannot get it up need to fuck off. I am so sick of this, especially in the USA where I live.

Well that's the problem, they can't. ;P

That said, this is some bad news. >.>;; Better start backing up all my favourite NND videos before they disappear.

I may be missing something, but how does this make Youtube illegal? None of the three specific acts mentioned in the article as being illegalized apply to youtube.

More like it would make Youtube dangerous to surf. It's a little like hunting around on Piratebay. Sure, there's legal stuff there, but to be realistic a significant fraction is not.

Youtube isn't so bad, but you can still find clips from shows(or sometimes entire episodes if they haven't been annihilated via orbital death ray yet), copy-written(not the right "write/right", I know, but copy-righten looks stupid) music, video game footage...a million things that could be "interpreted" as copyright.

Honestly I'm just surprised that my own moronic government isn't the one spearheading the stupidity this time.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here