Dead State Surpasses Kickstarter Goal

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Dead State Surpasses Kickstarter Goal

After three years, DoubleBear finally has the funds needed to make its definitive zombie game.

Doublebear's Zombie roleplaying game Dead State has been on the radar for gamers and zombie fans alike since it was first announced as "ZRPG" back in 2009. Emphasizing resource management and group dynamics in the face of a looming zombie apocalypse, the game promised an open-ended Fallout-styled roleplaying experience headed by former Obsidian developers and husband-wife team Annie VanderMeer Mitsoda and Brian Mitsoda. After almost three years of trying to get the project off the ground, the pair noticed the success of Double Fine's Kickstarter Project and thought they'd give it a shot. They thought correctly: with thirteen days remaining the project surpassed its $150,000 goal.

Most video game Kickstarter projects come with a huge variety of pledge rewards, and Dead State is no exception. A $30 dollar pledge will get you the soundtrack and a digital DRM-free copy of the game upon release. Increasing your pledge can provide donors with t-shirts, a "Making of Dead State" book, a Deluxe Edition Boxset, and even the option to have your own personalized "zombie apocalypse" story included in the finished game.

Rewards aside, to the fans who have been following the project since Day One, the real prize will be seeing the project reach the light of day. Dead State will include dozens of characters, randomized events, reactive AI, base-building mechanics, and more. Successfully implementing even a portion of these elements would please thousands of fans, but as Carlson and Mitsoda's Kickstarter video shows, they plan to go all out.

Dead State is scheduled for release in December 2013.

Source: Dead State Kickstarter

Yay! Glad to see this got off the ground. I was worried at first because it started pretty slow. Hope to finally sink my teeth into this soon.

You know I was pretty sure I was sick of zombies in games. DayZ and Dead State have renewed mu interest because they remember what is at the core of zombie movies, the human element.

looks interesting enough.

This is nice and all but I what I really want is a combination of this and DayZ. I think that would be the perfect zombie game...Well for me it would be.

Ahhh thank god it passed its goal. I have been watching this game for months.

I love that the game looks to capture what made the zombie genre so interesting.

octafish:
You know I was pretty sure I was sick of zombies in games. DayZ and Dead State have renewed mu interest because they remember what is at the core of zombie movies, the human element.

I thought it was all about miniguns, tanks, and alien/mutant/robot/wizard super zombies......with lasers

cool but I'm still waiting for nexus 2 to show up on there

That guy's voice sounds really familiar. I think he did some VO work for Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, which makes sense, considering he worked on it.

OT: Game looks really interesting. Will keep an eye on it.

What platform we looking at here? Just PC or...?

Tony2077:

...the Jupiter incident?

Kinguendo:
What platform we looking at here? Just PC or...?

"Will you support Mac/Linux versions?
We're looking into these options. We know there's interest and we may incorporate it as a stretch goal."

-From the kickstarter

FelixG:

Tony2077:

...the Jupiter incident?

yes they tried it somewhere else and failed then they said they would do a kickstarter one I'm still waiting for it. starting to worry its not going to show up

Anyone else think "The Walking Dead" when they heard this was a game about zombie survival set in the American South? I'm actually wondering how "human" this would feel. It seems to me that the interactions in the actual Walking Dead game are a lot more emotional than this text-based game. Still, I'm glad that they got to make what they wanted and I'm happy for all the people who have been waiting patiently for their game.

Tony2077:

FelixG:

Tony2077:

...the Jupiter incident?

yes they tried it somewhere else and failed then they said they would do a kickstarter one I'm still waiting for it. starting to worry its not going to show up

Holy crap if they did a kickstarter for a Nexus 2 I would drop unhealthy amounts of money onto that..

It's certainly not as grizzly a zombie game as we're used to.

Farther than stars:
Anyone else think "The Walking Dead" when they heard this was a game about zombie-survival set in the American South?

I actually thought "The Colony". But good.

octafish:

Your avatar reminds me why I'm glad they went with the turn-based combat route!

kajinking:

octafish:

I thought it was all about miniguns, tanks, and alien/mutant/robot/wizard super zombies......with lasers

Day Z is about shooting each other.

Except with crappy guns.

Although Dead State doesn't look that interesting like it lacks depth; only one shelter, pre-defined upgrades to it. Maybe for 1 playthrough it'd be good.

Think I'd enjoy project zomboid more.

Can we stop with the cavalcade of zombies? I'm about as sick of them as one can get without having an actual zombie chewing on my leg.

Huh, didn't know about this until now thought it was at first that zombie board game that was on the Kickstarter a while ago.

Anyone interested in this should definitely check out Fort Zombie, which was also a survival themed thing, although without all the dialogue options. Saw ZRPG a while ago and glad its finally going somewhere, yay real survival :)

hope they reach 260k, that goal really interests me..

still, contributed and can't wait!

Clearing the Eye:
Can we stop with the cavalcade of zombies? I'm about as sick of them as one can get without having an actual zombie chewing on my leg.

frankly im sick of them too but this is one of the first that covers the actual survival part rather than run and gun which is what the rest are like.

its good to see the escapist finally getting around to covering this interesting game in development

Very interesting game,reminds me of Walking Dead Episode 1/series in RPG mode,this can really work.

Really dig it.I'm glad they managed to get the neccesary money to get this game done.

To be honest, the video supplement they supplied is more then enough to get me to back this game. Im glad someone is trying to keep old style zombies alive. Ive never feared them half as much as RE2, and with good reason. They were zombies. Not crazed people wielding axes who happen to be infected by a parasite that explodes out of their neck (the parasite being laughably larger then the person its infected, and far more threatening.

Older style games like this need to be brought into the spotlight more often. I know they arnt the most popular games these days, but theyre a genre all their own, and we cant just let it die. Real RPG's need to stick around. (and real zombies. 2 for 1 special right here!)

Clearing the Eye:

Then don't come onto an article about a new zombie game...

OT: I will keep a close eye on this, I was betrayed once by a zombie 'RPG'...Curse you Dead Island.

octafish:

have you tried out project zomboid?

Daystar Clarion:
That guy's voice sounds really familiar. I think he did some VO work for Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, which makes sense, considering he worked on it.

He voiced Romero, the guy taking care of the graveyard in Hollywood. He did voice for some other minor characters too, including the TV guy I think.

And he's the guy that wrote the Malkavian dialogue, which is half the reason I'm funding this project.

Nice to see this on the escapist. Let's hope the project hits some of those stretch goals.

Hmmm...

Could this be the first good kickstarter game?

Perhaps.

I'm looking forward to hearing if it will be finished.

Mrh?... Anyway can the zombie genre please die now mmkay? Out of all the played out tropes/setting/genres zombie survival/group dynamic has to be the most played out. It literally hasn't evolved since Night of the Living Dead.

Seems cool. I don't know what else to say but...

seems worth a shot

Not that impressed, what's so good about this?

Awesome to see such a confident and professional approach to a Kickstarter pitch. It's obvious these guys have a clear vision of the game they're making. Props for having a working example of their work to show which is my new miniumum requirement for Kickstarters now. It's nice to know the designers have enough faith in the project to have worked out of their own pocket for a few years before asking for funding.

I'm up for anything new in the isometric RPG genre and those Black Isle/Troika credentials carry a lot of weight with me.

I started out reading "open ended Fallout experience" and immediately thought of Fallout 3 and how that was more than a little ambitious for a Kickstarter. Then I realized my mistake and how stupid it was. The original Fallout didn't line up with my interests at the time of its release, I'll probably have to look into this instead.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here