Update: TVTropes Deletes All Rape Tropes

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Lovely Mixture:
TV Tropes has been going off the deep end for a while now. This is the nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned.

Rape in real-life is wrong, disgusting, and a crime.
Rape in fiction is fantasy.

Is it really that hard to see?

It's arguable at this point that if rape is your fantasy you are part of the problem, and should probably hand back your balls until you can be trusted with them again...

However, rape in fiction is a complicated thing. Whether it is justified in its presence is determined by how it is included and why.

To go with the currently publicised example of Tomb Raider, the reason that game should not include the attempted rape scene is twofold.

First because the reasons the producers have given for including it are absolutely inappropriate. Their assumption is that a presumed male gamer will be incapable of projecting themselves as Lara, and so they intend for the player to want to "protect" her instead. This is, naturally, a massively sexist approach to writing a female character and writing for a male audience and does no favours to anyone. No-one comes out of that looking good or feeling good.

Second because it is part of a trend which extends far and wide beyond gaming that if a Bad Thing happens to a character to push them into extreme action or an extreme change of character, and that character happens to be female, the Bad Thing will incredibly frequently be rape or attempted rape. This does not, naturally, happen to male characters even nearly as frequently. Once again, it's a sexist way to write a female character. As soon as the character has a vagina there is no need to expend further effort writing an interesting and unique scenario for them, you can just throw some rape in there and have done with it. I guarantee you that when the inevitable Uncharted prequel comes out Nathan Drake will not be shown to kill his first man because he was about to be the unwilling star in an amateur remake of Deliverance.

The writers of Tomb Raider have signalled with this scene that they don't think their male audience can connect with a female character adequately, and that they're not going to really try to make her a uniquely strong character with a unique backstory. Hell, even Samus' PTSD in Other M was better than this, at least it was something unique to her that flowed from her backstory (even if the entire rest of her portrayal was dire claptrap).

Absolutely disgusting. They should be ashamed of themselves. Freedom of speech overrides some petty offense at a topic one may find undesirable.

GloatingSwine:

Lovely Mixture:
TV Tropes has been going off the deep end for a while now. This is the nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned.

It's arguable at this point that if rape is your fantasy you are part of the problem, and should probably hand back your balls until you can be trusted with them again...

However, rape in fiction is a complicated thing. Whether it is justified in its presence is determined by how it is included and why.

To go with the currently publicised example of Tomb Raider, the reason that game should not include the attempted rape scene is twofold.

First because the reasons the producers have given for including it are absolutely inappropriate. Their assumption is that a presumed male gamer will be incapable of projecting themselves as Lara, and so they intend for the player to want to "protect" her instead. This is, naturally, a massively sexist approach to writing a female character and writing for a male audience and does no favours to anyone. No-one comes out of that looking good or feeling good.

Second because it is part of a trend which extends far and wide beyond gaming that if a Bad Thing happens to a character to push them into extreme action or an extreme change of character, and that character happens to be female, the Bad Thing will incredibly frequently be rape or attempted rape. This does not, naturally, happen to male characters even nearly as frequently. Once again, it's a sexist way to write a female character. As soon as the character has a vagina there is no need to expend further effort writing an interesting and unique scenario for them, you can just throw some rape in there and have done with it. I guarantee you that when the inevitable Uncharted prequel comes out Nathan Drake will not be shown to kill his first man because he was about to be the unwilling star in an amateur remake of Deliverance.

The writers of Tomb Raider have signalled with this scene that they don't think their male audience can connect with a female character adequately, and that they're not going to really try to make her a uniquely strong character with a unique backstory. Hell, even Samus' PTSD in Other M was better than this, at least it was something unique to her that flowed from her backstory (even if the entire rest of her portrayal was dire claptrap).

The argument here though, is not whether rape in fantasy is acceptable, but whether the documentation of its existence should be censored. If you think that saying something exists and providing examples of it is unacceptable, well, you're kind of just flat out wrong.

Xangi:

The argument here though, is not whether rape in fantasy is acceptable, but whether the documentation of its existence should be censored. If you think that saying something exists and providing examples of it is unacceptable, well, you're kind of just flat out wrong.

See previous arguments about the negative worth of TV Tropes as a whole.

"Here is a list of some rape" is stupid for reasons quite other than that its tendency to turn into "Here's my favourite list of bad fanfiction and hentai fap matter".

GloatingSwine:

Xangi:

See previous arguments about the negative worth of TV Tropes as a whole.

"Here is a list of some rape" is stupid for reasons quite other than that its tendency to turn into "Here's my favourite list of bad fanfiction and hentai fap matter".

Yes, the removal of the fanfiction I agree with, mainly because that's not the purpose of the site, but the removal of entire pages full of normal content is ridiculous.

Truly-A-Lie:
No one will argue that rape isn't awful

Except those who make and laugh at prison rape jokes.

Xangi:
Absolutely disgusting. They should be ashamed of themselves. Freedom of speech overrides some petty offense at a topic one may find undesirable.

GloatingSwine:

Lovely Mixture:

Like I said before, google didn't make them cut it because "rape is bad guise!". They made them cut it because tvtropes is having a mssive image problem right now because of its userbase. The combination of no notability and no negativity has created a horrible hugbox community where horrible people are protected from being ostracised because of "Free speech". The site has had all kinds of festering evil in it, people who have told open white supremacists "dude that's fucked up" have been banned while the racist gets off scot free. They have a fetish thread that has over 300k posts and is constantly on the front page. It is full of rape apologists and fetishists. Naturally this leaks onto the main wiki. Combine this with tropers blatant anti-intellectualism that keeps the trope pages from being about analysis and renders them merely lists of times a thing happens and you have pages that serve as nothing more than a directory for their favourite rape fetish works with a dubious disclaimer at the beginning.

Google isn't bailing because of rape, they're bailing because tvtropes is full of people who have warped their own wiki and are borderline advocating rape and rules lawyering the fact that their rape fetish fan fiction has a plot therefore it isn't a depraved piece of shit. They simply don't want to associate themselves wit that.

GloatingSwine:

Fantasy does not always mean "personal fantasy" get a grip.
Fiction is narrative of imaginary events, fantasy is a imagination and thoughts (ie. fiction is fantasy written down). If you think it's only acceptable to write about rape via some criteria then you're bordering on censorship.

And I hope you're not implying that all people with rape fetishes are a danger to society.

him over there:

Like I said before, google didn't make them cut it because "rape is bad guise!". They made them cut it because tvtropes is having a mssive image problem right now because of its userbase. The combination of no notability and no negativity has created a horrible hugbox community where horrible people are protected from being ostracised because of "Free speech". The site has had all kinds of festering evil in it, people who have told open white supremacists "dude that's fucked up" have been banned while the racist gets off scot free. They have a fetish thread that has over 300k posts and is constantly on the front page. It is full of rape apologists and fetishists. Naturally this leaks onto the main wiki. Combine this with tropers blatant anti-intellectualism that keeps the trope pages from being about analysis and renders them merely lists of times a thing happens and you have pages that serve as nothing more than a directory for their favourite rape fetish works with a dubious disclaimer at the beginning.

Google isn't bailing because of rape, they're bailing because tvtropes is full of people who have warped their own wiki and are borderline advocating rape and rules lawyering the fact that their rape fetish fan fiction has a plot therefore it isn't a depraved piece of shit. They simply don't want to associate themselves wit that.

The thread has been answered. The site may have once been great, and it's not automatically obvious how terrible it is, but you only have to look in the forums.

GloatingSwine:

Tratchet:

I'd argue that proper understanding isn't at all hampered by categorization. I'm a physicist, and physics is pretty much nothing but categorization.

There's pretty much no commonality between physics and literature though. Physics is expressed in the language of mathematics, and a thing once defined is fixed in meaning. The gravitational constant is always the gravitational constant no matter where it pops up. Something as apparently simple as rain in fiction might mean any one of a hundred things depending on the context.

You can't understand literature (used as broadly as possible to encompass all works of narrative communication no matter their form or quality) by categorising it because any given element might change radically depending on the presence or absence of other elements. Things don't stay in their neat little categories.

While the laws in physics are fixed, their use can vary wildly, and that was my point, but maybe it was a bad example.
Sorry to just give a ton of metaphors, but a better example might be food. A good meal comes from many different parts, just like a story, and these parts are extremely dependent on each other. Peanut butter tastes great with jelly, not so good with salmon (probably). Maybe most importantly, what tastes good is subjective, just like which stories are well written.

If a cook tried to throw anything that he remotely liked into a meal without a thought about how the parts fit together it'd be a mess. However, this doesn't mean that the cook shouldn't know how the individual food tastes. If he focuses on just the whole picture then it'd be very hard to try anything new. In the same way, if a writer understands the individual components of a story he can better understand how the story will fit together, and he can hopefully approach the story with some originality in how these components are used. Keep in mind, I'm approaching this from more of a writing aid than a way to understand literature. I fully agree that a laundry list of tropes in a piece of literature doesn't help one to understand it as a whole better.

Also, what do you think about things like deus ex machina, in media res, red herrings, and Chekhov's gun, just to name a few. All of these are components that can shift and change wildly in their use and purpose between stories, but all of these terms have been in use long before TV tropes. Is it bad that we acknowledge these, even though they change from story to story? Or what about extremely broad things, like character archetypes, plot structures and genres? These very much categorize fiction, but are they harmful?

Again, I'm not really defending TV Tropes, which I admit has issues. I'm saying that understanding the components that make up fiction is not inherently bad.

If you read the forums, you could see where former members who jumped ship like myself got their reasoning.

EDIT.

I thought I recognized that username. Blitzwing, weren't you banned from the Tvtropes forums a while ago? Certainly explains a few things.

So essentially, Google is acting as a force of censorship on the Internet.

After all those privacy debacles, Google+ kinda sucking and now this? I don't know what to expect anymore.

This third wave feminism stuff is getting out of hand. Are they really so desperate for accomplishments that they're resorting to making gamers feel bad?

While it's good that the threads are going back up, and indeed good for Google to have a policy on that sort of terms, surely it'd be much better to actually look at the pages in greater detail and see what they're actually about before getting the plug pulled.

Illyasviel:
So essentially, Google is acting as a force of censorship on the Internet.

After all those privacy debacles, Google+ kinda sucking and now this? I don't know what to expect anymore.

This third wave feminism stuff is getting out of hand. Are they really so desperate for accomplishments that they're resorting to making gamers feel bad?

No, gamers make everyone else feel bad. Including me, and I'm a god damned gamer.
But after the debacle with Women vs Tropes and the rpg-net threads I've been reading the past weekend and much of this week have made me think that gaming has very little right to exist...because hey, rather defend rape than not come across like creepy fuckwads because "FREE SPEECH MEANS I GET TO CALL YOU FAGGOT!"
When there's no responsibility, the shit just gets thrown without purpose.

Jamous:
While it's good that the threads are going back up, and indeed good for Google to have a policy on that sort of terms, surely it'd be much better to actually look at the pages in greater detail and see what they're actually about before getting the plug pulled.

Not looking at them in more detail is actually Fast Eddie the site owner's fault. He merely blocked all pages with the word rape in it because of laziness. That's why mind rape was lost but all rapists are murderers stayed.

him over there:

Xangi:

GloatingSwine:

Just gonna say, /b/ still somehow gets ad revenue, I think TVTropes could find some way to as well. Also, whether we find it acceptable or not, freedom of speech DOES allow them to say whatever they want. They can be the most backwoods, dog-fornicating, rape-fetishizing, small-animal-torturing idiots around, but it allows them to say whatever they want.

Perhaps I'm desensitized to all of this, but while I do understand the image problem, I don't condone their actions taken to help it.

Helmholtz Watson:

DigitalSushi:

The nerd/geek community right now is in the middle of a phase of self-examination when it comes to the use of sexual violence as a storytelling device in media for one, and the treatment of women and female characters for another.

I see the deletion of these Rape Tropes articles as a plus point, the gaming community is in a state of self reflection at the minute after E3 and its probably for the best that the gamers formulate their own opinions on this hot topic instead of regugitatating a trope a 14 year old from Alaska wrote in their spare time.

Take some points from a trope yes, but think for yourself.

Can you tell me what happened at E3 with female reporters, I feel like I'm living under a rock or something.

This Kotaku article about the treatment of (at least one) female journalist at E3.

John Funk:

Helmholtz Watson:

DigitalSushi:

I see the deletion of these Rape Tropes articles as a plus point, the gaming community is in a state of self reflection at the minute after E3 and its probably for the best that the gamers formulate their own opinions on this hot topic instead of regugitatating a trope a 14 year old from Alaska wrote in their spare time.

Take some points from a trope yes, but think for yourself.

Can you tell me what happened at E3 with female reporters, I feel like I'm living under a rock or something.

This Kotaku article about the treatment of (at least one) female journalist at E3.

Thanks for sending me the link. Having skimmed it, that's it?. A PR guy just assumed that someone couldn't play a game? That hardly seems like something to make a big deal out of.

I noticed this a while ago, was wondering what happened. Hmm. Well that sucks. Couldn't they have changed the title of 'mind rape' to something else, seeing as it didn't really have anything to do with actual rape.

Helmholtz Watson:

John Funk:

Helmholtz Watson:

Thanks for sending me the link. Having skimmed it, that's it?. A PR guy just assumed that someone couldn't play a game? That hardly seems like something to make a big deal out of.

Because she was a woman, yes. It's less this individual incident and more a conversation about how the industry views women journalists / treats them as though they aren't legitimate.

John Funk:

Because she was a woman, yes. It's less this individual incident and more a conversation about how the industry views women journalists / treats them as though they aren't legitimate.

I don't think its fair to say that a few PR guys represent then entire industry. As for the journalist being offended, that's their choice I guess.

him over there:

Jamous:

Not looking at them in more detail is actually Fast Eddie the site owner's fault. He merely blocked all pages with the word rape in it because of laziness. That's why mind rape was lost but all rapists are murderers stayed.

What? Why would someone do that? Surely that's just hurting his own site? Or am I simply hopelessly naive when it comes to my understanding of webhosting? Either way, it seems to be an incredibly stupid thing to do.
Oh, and also what I meant about Google checking before pulling the plug was seeing whether a site's actually 'explicit' or not, as I'd certainly not call TVTropes explicit simply for discussing the rape tropes that show up throughout fiction. But maybe that's again just myself and my naivety.

NortherWolf:

Illyasviel:

No, gamers make everyone else feel bad. Including me, and I'm a god damned gamer.
But after the debacle with Women vs Tropes and the rpg-net threads I've been reading the past weekend and much of this week have made me think that gaming has very little right to exist...because hey, rather defend rape than not come across like creepy fuckwads because "FREE SPEECH MEANS I GET TO CALL YOU FAGGOT!"

Because, rather defend rape... than not come across like freaky fuckwads?

What are you trying to say here?

TVTropes chronicling what medias in which rape(s) have occurred in is not participating in rape and is not encouraging rape. They aren't being in anyway complicit with any type of activity associated with rape. Its just a list. Its not even a biased list. Even putting aside First Amendment rights, ITS STILL JUST A LIST. Now if only the rape list was super long and super detailed while the majority of other trope lists have less than a half-dozen examples each, okay, there's something going on here. Its still legal and protected by the First Amendment, but it would be odd. Except that's not the case. They've treated that topic like every single other topic in their vast catalogue of topics.

They're not saying rape is a particularly evil trope and they're not saying 'lol rape.' All they said is this is rape, this is how its a trope and this is a list where you can see an example of this rape as this trope.

That's it.

So what exactly are you defending? Why don't we just ban everything that can be offensive or subjectively make you seem like a 'freaky fuckwad' to somebody else?

A list of Holocaust victims? A list of Japanese who were held in internment camps during WW2?

That would be dumb. Right? Right.

And they are being censored for it. Sure its an unintentional byproduct of a poorly written policy, but that's still censorship. I have a problem with that.

First wave feminism, voting and social rights. A great, important step forward. Second wave feminism, workplace equality and more social equality. Terrific. Third wave feminism. Censoring, not even a discussion about rape, just a list of mostly FICTIONAL rapes? What are we really accomplishing here? Are real feminists even celebrating? "FUCK YES, WE FINALLY GOT RID OF THAT TERRIBLE, MEAN, SUPER-EVIL LIST OF FICTIONAL RAPES ON THAT ONE WEBSITE!" Why then, are we putting words in their mouths? Are you sure you're not just white knighting this?

Illyasviel:

NortherWolf:

Illyasviel:

Because, rather defend rape... than not come across like freaky fuckwads?

What are you trying to say here?

TVTropes chronicling what medias in which rape(s) have occurred in is not participating in rape and is not encouraging rape. They aren't being in anyway complicit with any type of activity associated with rape. Its just a list. Its not even a biased list. Even putting aside First Amendment rights, ITS STILL JUST A LIST. Now if only the rape list was super long and super detailed while the majority of other trope lists have less than a half-dozen examples each, okay, there's something going on here. Its still legal and protected by the First Amendment, but it would be odd. Except that's not the case. They've treated that topic like every single other topic in their vast catalogue of topics.

They're not saying rape is a particularly evil trope and they're not saying 'lol rape.' All they said is this is rape, this is how its a trope and this is a list where you can see an example of this rape as this trope.

That's it.

So what exactly are you defending? Why don't we just ban everything that can be offensive or subjectively make you seem like a 'freaky fuckwad' to somebody else?

A list of Holocaust victims? A list of Japanese who were held in internment camps during WW2?

That would be dumb. Right? Right.

And they are being censored for it. Sure its an unintentional byproduct of a poorly written policy, but that's still censorship. I have a problem with that.

First wave feminism, voting and social rights. A great, important step forward. Second wave feminism, workplace equality and more social equality. Terrific. Third wave feminism. Censoring, not even a discussion about rape, just a list of mostly FICTIONAL rapes? What are we really accomplishing here? Are real feminists even celebrating? "FUCK YES, WE FINALLY GOT RID OF THAT TERRIBLE, MEAN, SUPER-EVIL LIST OF FICTIONAL RAPES ON THAT ONE WEBSITE!" Why then, are we putting words in their mouths? Are you sure you're not just white knighting this?

I'm saying the gaming hobby as a whole doesn't seem to be mature enough to handle rape without an unhealthy dose of misogynistic BS served alongside it.
And while I missed those pages when they were up, everyone seems to argue that they pretty much were "Rape fap material here. Lololol."
White knighting, defending to get laid? Yeah, pretty fucking sure here. I've just reached a rather depressing insight about the two hobbies (tabletop rpgs and videogames) that I've been a part for most of my life.
And that insight is: Gaming, no matter how much gamers rage agaist stereotypes by the media, in filled with those very same stereotypes.

Question, if the Holocaust pages amounted to "Lulz here there be holocaust stuff"...You think that someone WOULDN'T tear it down?

Thing is, maybe it's because i*m a dumb, backwater Swede...But I don't see those waves of feminism...All I see is men and women striving for equal rights, and on one end a small number of women who're political zealots, while there's a huge number of men on the other who at best seem to think. "Well, things are good now! Oh yes sireeee! All fine! LALALAAL!" Or, "Women should be fucked so that they're happy."

Jamous:

him over there:

Jamous:

What? Why would someone do that? Surely that's just hurting his own site? Or am I simply hopelessly naive when it comes to my understanding of webhosting? Either way, it seems to be an incredibly stupid thing to do.
Oh, and also what I meant about Google checking before pulling the plug was seeing whether a site's actually 'explicit' or not, as I'd certainly not call TVTropes explicit simply for discussing the rape tropes that show up throughout fiction. But maybe that's again just myself and my naivety.

There isn't anything explicit on the site per se but the userbase is filled with all kinds of horrible people and that eventually crops up on the wiki. It's a reputation thing. Plenty of tropers have admitted to being rape fetishists in the 300k+ post fetish thread so it kind of creates an air of dishonesty and depravity regarding the rape trope pages since it's a user editted wiki.

him over there:

Jamous:

him over there:

There isn't anything explicit on the site per se but the userbase is filled with all kinds of horrible people and that eventually crops up on the wiki. It's a reputation thing. Plenty of tropers have admitted to being rape fetishists in the 300k+ post fetish thread so it kind of creates an air of dishonesty and depravity regarding the rape trope pages since it's a user editted wiki.

Eh, I suppose that's more understandable, but still; the content of the site itself seems pretty decent regardless of what the userbase is.

Soviet Heavy:
If you read the forums, you could see where former members who jumped ship like myself got their reasoning.

EDIT.

I thought I recognized that username. Blitzwing, weren't you banned from the Tvtropes forums a while ago? Certainly explains a few things.

Sooo... you're not gonna respond to any of Treblaine's good points? Because your fixation on and focused hatred of pedophiles and "creepy" people is beginning to get... well, creepy.

"Freedom to act like a pervert" indeed. Newsflash: On the internet, that's exactly what you have. Deal with it.

I'm on TV Tropes -right now- and I can still access any article with "Rape" in the title.

Either Google is just censoring TV Tropes from their searches, they're slow at deleting the articles or nothing is being done.

Captcha: good for nothing

OhJohnNo:

Soviet Heavy:

EDIT.

Sooo... you're not gonna respond to any of Treblaine's good points? Because your fixation on and focused hatred of pedophiles and "creepy" people is beginning to get... well, creepy.

"Freedom to act like a pervert" indeed. Newsflash: On the internet, that's exactly what you have. Deal with it.

That wasn't a response to Treblaine. Anyways, if you all want to keep blaming big bad google, go right ahead. At least their threats are getting Fast Eddie to listen. He wants to keep his precious website running, he'll have to clean out the trash. And I'll enjoy listening to all the people whining about censorship.

TvTropes brought this on themselves.

You guy's read that TVTROPES is reinstating this stuff, right? Its like, in the article.

Also, the fetish stuff was moved to a sperate wiki.

OT: To me, this doesn't matter. It was only about a maybe 3% cut of content. I still love the site, and I still think it is one of the greatest sites on the internet.

Soviet Heavy:

OhJohnNo:

Soviet Heavy:

EDIT.

That wasn't a response to Treblaine. Anyways, if you all want to keep blaming big bad google, go right ahead. At least their threats are getting Fast Eddie to listen. He wants to keep his precious website running, he'll have to clean out the trash. And I'll enjoy listening to all the people whining about censorship.

TvTropes brought this on themselves.

Yeah, I knew you weren't responding to Treblaine, I was just wondering if you were going to.

OhJohnNo:

Yeah, I knew you weren't responding to Treblaine, I was just wondering if you were going to.

If it means that much to you, then fine, I'll respond to him.

Treblaine:

What do you hope to achieve by badgering paedos into silence or banishment? That they'll somehow just stop being paedos, or that if they go away they are somehow less of a problem overall? Is your problem with paedos the assumption that they all hurt children, or do you just hate them because they are different?

Also, you can't so easily dismiss freedom of speech. You have to actually make an argument for why it does not apply to paedos talking about weird loli fetish, yet still applies to other subjects of discourse. There is an argument to be made, but you can't throw out the baby (freedom of speech) with the bathwater.

This "shit" didn't follow you anywhere you go, it is everywhere on the internet, people are resistant to infringement on freedom of speech for the precedent it sets.

My assumption is not that all peados are child molesters. My assumption is that the TvTropes userbase has a collection of idiots who try to justify pornographic and pedophile material on a website that their owner is trying to purport being "family friendly."

My point is that freedom of speech should only be applied to TvTropes if they in turn can treat the subject material with respect, something that they repeatedly have proven they cannot do. If you are a pedophile, I don't want to hear about it. And I especially don't want to hear your justifications. I don't know how many times I heard the "I'm a hebephile/ephebophile so it's really okay!" argument on their forum. That isn't something you should be talking about on a public website.

Google caught wind of Tvtropes problems beforehand. This is actually the second time that they've had to tell Fast Eddie to clean up his site. They are not the ones who are at fault here. The first time Google pulled ad revenue was in 2010, since Adsense prohibits adult content. Instead of cleaning the articles, Fast Eddie put up a wall around them with an age barrier. Google Adsense would not be applied to those pages, but articles not behind the curtain would be able to sustain them.

The second time started with their article on Tentacle Porn. Google had had enough of Eddie's lack of cleaning, and threatened to remove all ad revenue if they didn't clean up their act, regardless of whether an article was behind the curtain. Either clean the shit up, or find another ad service. This applied to the Rape Tropes.

But instead of actually cleaning the pages, they just rename them. Other people in this thread argued that Google forcing the page cuts doesn't make the problem go away, but the opposite is also true. Renaming the pages to appease google isn't going to make the problem go away. And that problem is the userbase for TvTropes in the first place. Google would never have had to put its foot down if the Tropers had been able to handle their articles with restraint or maturity, rather than turning them into indexes for their favorite porn.

So, no, this is not a personal vendetta against pedophiles by trying to shame them into silence. This is me calling out the editors and the idiots who let this happen through their own ignorance. They just couldn't shut up about their fetishes, they couldn't keep them out of the touchy articles, and now they are paying for it.

NortherWolf:
I'm saying the gaming hobby as a whole doesn't seem to be mature enough to handle rape without an unhealthy dose of misogynistic BS served alongside it.

Thing is, maybe it's because i*m a dumb, backwater Swede...But I don't see those waves of feminism...All I see is men and women striving for equal rights, and on one end a small number of women who're political zealots, while there's a huge number of men on the other who at best seem to think. "Well, things are good now! Oh yes sireeee! All fine! LALALAAL!" Or, "Women should be fucked so that they're happy."

So you're saying to censor all of it? That's a severe overreaction.

A list of Holocaust victims is just a list. The intentions of those who use that list is altogether different. Its just like whether revealing clothing is exploitative or not. Wasn't there just a thread on that? The answer is it depends. If a female persons, on her own volition, wears such clothing because it makes her feel more attractive, then no, no exploitation occurred. You can argue the very fact that it makes her feel attractive is a social construction created to serve men by the eeEVVvilllLLlll Patriarchy or whatever dumb crap, but in the end, she voluntarily made the choice and I'm not going to tell her she can't wear what she wants.

If you really don't think gaming is a place for you, then leave gaming. Find a different hobby or don't go on public message boards. Btw, love you Scandinavian countries. Would like to live there one day; maybe when I'm retired or something haha.

Soviet Heavy:

OhJohnNo:

If it means that much to you, then fine, I'll respond to him.

Treblaine:

What do you hope to achieve by badgering paedos into silence or banishment? That they'll somehow just stop being paedos, or that if they go away they are somehow less of a problem overall? Is your problem with paedos the assumption that they all hurt children, or do you just hate them because they are different?

Also, you can't so easily dismiss freedom of speech. You have to actually make an argument for why it does not apply to paedos talking about weird loli fetish, yet still applies to other subjects of discourse. There is an argument to be made, but you can't throw out the baby (freedom of speech) with the bathwater.

This "shit" didn't follow you anywhere you go, it is everywhere on the internet, people are resistant to infringement on freedom of speech for the precedent it sets.

My assumption is not that all peados are child molesters. My assumption is that the TvTropes userbase has a collection of idiots who try to justify pornographic and pedophile material on a website that their owner is trying to purport being "family friendly."

My point is that freedom of speech should only be applied to TvTropes if they in turn can treat the subject material with respect, something that they repeatedly have proven they cannot do. If you are a pedophile, I don't want to hear about it. And I especially don't want to hear your justifications. I don't know how many times I heard the "I'm a hebephile/ephebophile so it's really okay!" argument on their forum. That isn't something you should be talking about on a public website.

Google caught wind of Tvtropes problems beforehand. This is actually the second time that they've had to tell Fast Eddie to clean up his site. They are not the ones who are at fault here. The first time Google pulled ad revenue was in 2010, since Adsense prohibits adult content. Instead of cleaning the articles, Fast Eddie put up a wall around them with an age barrier. Google Adsense would not be applied to those pages, but articles not behind the curtain would be able to sustain them.

The second time started with their article on Tentacle Porn. Google had had enough of Eddie's lack of cleaning, and threatened to remove all ad revenue if they didn't clean up their act, regardless of whether an article was behind the curtain. Either clean the shit up, or find another ad service. This applied to the Rape Tropes.

But instead of actually cleaning the pages, they just rename them. Other people in this thread argued that Google forcing the page cuts doesn't make the problem go away, but the opposite is also true. Renaming the pages to appease google isn't going to make the problem go away. And that problem is the userbase for TvTropes in the first place. Google would never have had to put its foot down if the Tropers had been able to handle their articles with restraint or maturity, rather than turning them into indexes for their favorite porn.

So, no, this is not a personal vendetta against pedophiles by trying to shame them into silence. This is me calling out the editors and the idiots who let this happen through their own ignorance. They just couldn't shut up about their fetishes, they couldn't keep them out of the touchy articles, and now they are paying for it.

Are you saying there is NO mature way to talk about subjects like Tentacle Erotica???? What about this little website, you might have heard of it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tentacle_erotica

Well... if they can. And Wikipedia is available in every school and library computer everywhere and is considered quite "family friendly". Have you seen the wikipedia pages for BDSM, lolicon, pornography and many other mature subjects. Hell THIS VERY SITE is able to talk about such subjects with what many have called "rape week" since Jim's latest jimquisition episode.

You keep going on about a "problem", what precisely is the problem with listing tropes from Porn or other titillating material? Are you saying you have NEVER watched any pornography in your life? Never read an erotic story? Isn't this part of the media we consume, part of our popular culture? Why so arbitrarily cut this out?

The problem is, why is TV Tropes trying to make money from an ad provider who is so opposed to any "adult content" that it won't allow what we are even DISCUSSING on this forum? Why doesn't the mods just keep doing what they did in 2010, and keep putting such content AdSense doesn't like behind age barriers.

"If you are a pedophile, I don't want to hear about it... ...That isn't something you should be talking about on a public website."

Why not? Why can't you be respectfully tolerant?

"freedom of speech should only be applied to TvTropes if they in turn can treat the subject material with respect"

By who's definition? By Ad Sense it is that there cannot be ANY at all discussion, no matter what respectful terms you use to describe it.

NortherWolf:

They'll never learn how to talk about it maturely if they can't talk about it in a moderated place where they will learn what is and is not acceptable.

Why the fear of debate? Nothing like daylight to drive out the shadows of injustice, hate and ignorance. Talk about this, and learn.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here