Submerged "UFO" Cripples Nearby Electronics

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

The Great JT:
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the Depth Star.

Your pun has come the closest of any to being acceptable to me in a long time. Congratulations.
Still boo pun, but just barely.

Isn't that more a description of a Faraday cage than an EMP. Maybe an EMF.

The Great JT:

touche touche, i wish i had an appropriately cool.jpg to give you

I don't know what it is?! Therefore.....one haaaas to assume.......it's Ancient Aliens.

Ghostwise:
I don't know what it is?! Therefore.....one haaaas to assume.......it's Ancient Aliens.

Don't mention that show. I felt like punching my kitten after the serial killers episode.

Can't someone else just go there and check? Someone not on the team. Also, there is such a thing as emp protection.

My money is on "hoax" until their results have been verified by an outside source.

Makes you want to say hoax, but you don't because you want it to be something more, anything more, even if it's just some natural curiosity that advances science a little. That would still be super neat. :)

id love this to be an alien craft, but, something tells me this may not be true *cough*daily mail*cough*.

wooty:
Once they approach this thing I expect it to sound a little something like this....

After which the real fun will begin.

and then in the end we live happily ever after...oh wait.

The Great JT:

I woulda gone for the Aquarium Falcon but good work, sir.

cricket chirps:
So starwars was real? And Lucas knew this all along and this is where he got his only good idea?

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!

IF SW is real then it is inevitable that Anaking will be born and be a little pussy only this time is for real and there is nothing we can do about it :(

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh shit, han solo be jammin' our transmissions.

Andy Chalk:

The mysterious, UFO-like object at the bottom of the Baltic Sea appears to be emitting some kind of localized EMP.

You can't have a "UFO like object." A UFO is an unidentified flying object and not something with any form of standard appearance or behavior--a dog with a jetpack that you cannot make out in the sky is a UFO. Moreover, unidentified is an absolute term, meaning something either is or isn't and not "kind of."

saintdane05:

Ghostwise:

Don't mention that show. I felt like punching my kitten after the serial killers episode.

You might enjoy this image:

Again, clearly a Stargate. Since it's just a superconducting ring, clearly it could be...somehow messing with electronics.

Look, I don't care if this thing is a Reaper scout waiting in hibernation to start the galaxy cleansing on Earth... get some fucking people down there and figure out what it is! Hell, give me some scuba gear and Ill go poke it with a stick, see what happens!

We all know that it's gonna be a natural formation, or a rock outcropping, or something... Just get the scientists in there so they can disappoint us with the information...

templar1138a:
Okay, I don't care about the contents of this article because the sub-head pisses me off.

"UFO-like object." Really? Don't you know what UFO stands for? Unidentified Flying Object.

Time for some insight into the English language. One, that choice of words is redundant and two, *picks up a megaphone* UFO does not mean an alien space ship. UFO by itself literally means a flying object that hasn't been identified.

It could be a space ship. It could be a weather balloon. It could be a vulture having a scandalous affair with an otter. When a flying object is unidentified, that means there are possibilities. None of which have to center on extra-terrestrials.

Underwater Foreign Object

Too bad this is probably a hoax, i got a little excited too :(

Well, it can't be of Alien origin. Everyone knows that when Aliens visit Earth, they ALWAYS go to the USA.

templar1138a:
Okay, I don't care about the contents of this article because the sub-head pisses me off.

"UFO-like object." Really? Don't you know what UFO stands for? Unidentified Flying Object.

Time for some insight into the English language. One, that choice of words is redundant and two, *picks up a megaphone* UFO does not mean an alien space ship. UFO by itself literally means a flying object that hasn't been identified.

It could be a space ship. It could be a weather balloon. It could be a vulture having a scandalous affair with an otter. When a flying object is unidentified, that means there are possibilities. None of which have to center on extra-terrestrials.

All this on top of the fact that it is not flying, there's no proof it did fly, and no proof it even could fly. A more accurate heading would have been "USO found in Baltic". Boom! Problem solved, crew doesn't look like idiots, reporter doesn't look like fucking moron, everyone is happy!

USO, for those who don't know, stands for "unidentified submerged object".

What if you submerge to look at it in a submarine; would the submarine power off as it gets close to the USO (Unidentified submerged object) and eventually sink to the bottom of the sea leaving the pilot to suffer a cruel death?

Oh.

So THAT'S where I parked my spaceship!

Chrono212:
My money is that's it's an iron rich meteorite.

Or aliens.

Both are totally plausible explanations.

Pffft. Meteorite. that's crazy talk right there, friend.

whycantibelinus:

All this on top of the fact that it is not flying, there's no proof it did fly, and no proof it even could fly. A more accurate heading would have been "USO found in Baltic". Boom! Problem solved, crew doesn't look like idiots, reporter doesn't look like fucking moron, everyone is happy!

USO, for those who don't know, stands for "unidentified submerged object".

Yeah, but "USO" doesn't attract the imagination of the public like "UFO," so let's pander!

>.>

Moonlight Butterfly:

Indeed.

Why aren't you covering important stories like 'Google computer learns to spot cats'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18595351

Oh god D: Why? Why did you show us that? It's the beginning of the end. First it's recognising cats. Then it's recognising people. Then it's understanding language! Then it's understanding human society! Then it's understanding that it could do ALL THESE THINGS BETTER AND TAKING OVER THE WORLD! This is how it starts! The end is niiiggghhhhhh.

Caption: Know Thyself
I won't need too. Cause the GODDAM COMPUTERS WILL BE MY MASTERS!!!

Zachary Amaranth:

Chrono212:
My money is that's it's an iron rich meteorite.

Or aliens.

Both are totally plausible explanations.

Pffft. Meteorite. that's crazy talk right there, friend.

"Meteorites took my brains!"

Laccolith

All the descriptions I read about this thing just make me think laccolith.

I believe this whole thing was thought up due to lack of funding. Malfunctioning equipment? Pooh-lease, obviously Aliens.

It's the LobsterMen! Quick! grab your Dildo Shaped Manatee prod!

CAPTCHA: Four By Two
It wasn't very effective...

It's an Unidentified Submerged Object, USO, not an Unidentified FLYING Object, UFO.

I guess I'll have to thank XCOM TFTD for that.

Kinda just stumbled upon this.

Dunno about you, but if I found some Alienesque object buried 90meters under the surface of the ocean. I would probably want to find out what it is the same instant it was discovered...

My bet, its a glacial deposit. (Rocks stuck inside large bodies of ice during the ice age)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here