Hackers Deface The Wrong Site

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hackers Deface The Wrong Site

One of Anonymous' first targets in its war on Japanese copyright law is ... a water management office.

As part of a campaign against Japan's recently announced "Personal Illegal Downloads Punishment Act" - which, among other things, outlaws the circumvention of copy protection on DVDs and Blu Ray discs - a group claiming to be Anonymous has hacked into and defaced a number of websites loosely connected to the law. One of the websites - which was changed to feature a declaration of intent from the hackers as well as the group's traditional "we are legion" slogan - actually belonged to the Kasumigaura river management office, a government body in the Kanto reigion that deals primarily with flood control and water management.

"We are not about to see Japan turn into what America has become," read the site, followed by a few bars of the pirate song from kid's TV show, LazyTown.

It's believed the hackers mistook the site for that of the Kasumigaseki, which is actually a region in central Tokyo that contains a ton of government offices. "Kasumigaseki" is also used as a euphemism for those same offices.

As is usual with these kinds of attacks, the site was restored fairly quickly, but the mistake has caused much mirth amongst Japanese image board users, most of which are asking what it is exactly that Anonymous has against the nation's rivers and lakes.

Source: The Asahi Shimbun

How unfortunate a mistake :P

A shame they didn't post the text in Japanese though; I figured they would have some sort of Japanese person supporting them.

Grey Carter:
As is usual with these kinds of attacks, the site was restored fairly quickly, but the mistake has caused much mirth amongst Japanese image board users, most of which are asking what it is exactly that Anonymous has against the nation's rivers and lakes.

Clearly, the Japanese have never played Oregon Trail.

I think someone in anonymous didn't get the memo that this was online piracy.
Water is not always linked to pirates, you crazy, crazy people. =P

Oh Anon, you so silly.

When I read "Kanto" I immediately thought "What? That is a region in Pokemon, not a real place!" but then my brain kicked in and I told myself how much of an idiot I am for thinking that =|

RaNDM G:

Grey Carter:

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those pioneers."

Grey Carter:
followed by a few bars of the pirate song from kid's TV show, LazyTown.

How Fitting!

sooo.... the element of surprise is lost. Is this the prequel to the actual hack?

How can one manage to fail at impersonating anonymous ? Not wanting to start that old debate again, but isn't their slogan supposed to be "We are legion." - as in the famous quote - instead of "We are a legion" - as in : never seen that before ?

RaNDM G:

Your post here has made me a very happy person tonight.

My immediate guess would be that the person writing that was Japanese (hence the mistake) and acting as part of an overall raid from a number of countries. English is pretty much the universal language of business, and that most understood internationally, as an international statement it makes sense to be using English even for those within Japan.

That said my immediate guess here is that during the raid the people doing it were hitting every site they could breach the security on to make a statement. Done correctly this typically isn't about JUST hitting the responsible sites, but by making a point with as much collateral damage as possible. You see/hear Anonymous everywhere which is part of the point, even if you think your not involved, your involved, if you didn't know about the issue, you now know about it because it's why you got hacked (and if you don't want to face the collateral damage you had best do what Anonymous tells you). It's called "Cyberterrorism" for a reason.

While funny, I'd imagine with some digging you'll find a lot of other seemingly unaffiliated sites were proabably also hit.

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to shit yourself in public and get laughed at.

And this neatly showcases the actual smarts of the script-kiddy movement. Somewhere between zero and fuck all.

Is it over? Can we stop taking these idiots seriously now?

ResonanceSD:
And this neatly showcases the actual smarts of the script-kiddy movement. Somewhere between zero and fuck all.

Exactly, and why we can't have groups like Anonymous. They really don't accomplish anything beyond Internet graffiti and occasionally causing traffic stops on servers.

So, not only are they idiots who couldn't even get the site right, they posted a message in English on a Japanese site..
Morons.

I find it hard that people expect to be taken seriously when they fuck up this bad... and whoever was doing it probably can't even read, let alone speak an anime line of Japanese. This is why you stay in school and make an effort to learn a foreign language; if you ever hear the call to deface a government site in a country you have nothing do do with, you won't embarrass your group. At the same time, the Orient is very different from the west; if Anon honestly think some punk kids with too much time on their hands are gonna stop the Japanese government, they are sadly mistaken.

So....these are the people who everyone thought was going to "shut off the internet" and can "break into your life and ruin it in no time". The hero-worship of Anon can be a bit much at times, hopefully this takes the wind out of their sails a little bit

wareware wa ah-no-ni-mo-su desu!

Anyways, I guess all the smart 'hackers' got caught.

Google translator, use it...

please anonymous just go back to fighting with the westboro baptist church. at least then you had the moral high ground and appeared to be the smart ones

punipunipyo:
Google translator, use it...

Oh please... google translator is shit. it can get the most basic stuff, but thats about it.

DVS BSTrD:

RaNDM G:

Grey Carter:

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those pioneers."

I thought what I'd do was, pretend I saw what you did there.

....nah.

You can sort of get the idea and ideals behind them, but these hacker groups are just... juvenile.

All the hate for some of the few people that not only want to see internet rights maintained, but actually do something. It might not do a lot of physical good, but it draws attention, something that was badly needed considering the rest of the world heard nothing about this law passing in Japan till it happened.

For everyone complaining, what are you doing to stop bills like this besides sitting behind a computer monitor and complaining? A failed effort means more than no effort at all.

mrm5561:
please anonymous just go back to fighting with the westboro baptist church. at least then you had the moral high ground and appeared to be the smart ones

They still have the moral high ground. Bills like the one that passed are bad for everyone.

Buretsu:

What are you doing to stop bills like this exactly? At least they're trying.

Except it won't achieve anything, and may instead be rather counter productive - do you know of any government that has given in to the demands of foreign criminals? Exactly; if anything it makes them less likely to do what is demanded.

If they wanted to do something, there are plenty of legal things that could be done, all of which would be more effective. Seeing a large segment of the voters on the streets peacefully protesting is significantly more likely to influence the passing of law.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
All the hate for some of the few people that not only want to see internet rights maintained, but actually do something. It might not do a lot of physical good, but it draws attention, something that was badly needed considering the rest of the world heard nothing about this law passing in Japan till it happened.

For everyone complaining, what are you doing to stop bills like this besides sitting behind a computer monitor and complaining? A failed effort means more than no effort at all.

Hijacking other people their websites is not the proper way to do it. There are proper, legal ways to show your discontent in most countries. Vote on the opposing political parties. Form a public protest. Anything but this.

you guys are the best hackers ever get caught well done only the best do

Wow they even got thier own motto wrong.

"We ARE Legion" not "We are A Legion". I still find it odd they use a Bible quote but whatever

My guess is its either someone pretending to be Anonymous or a moron

Gabanuka:
Wow they even got thier own motto wrong.

"We ARE Legion" not "We are A Legion". I still find it odd they use a Bible quote but whatever

My guess is its either someone pretending to be Anonymous or a moron

maybe both.

OT: on a serious note, what is up with japan lately? I thought they were lax when it came to copyright. does the word doujinshi ring a bell with anyone?

What utter, utter morons. Sheesh... _

AC10:
How unfortunate a mistake :P

A shame they didn't post the text in Japanese though; I figured they would have some sort of Japanese person supporting them.

It perfectly demonstrates the casual ignorance of the people involved in anonymous. They're willing to weigh in on an issue and throw their weight around, but can't even get the right website or find an adequate translator.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Buretsu:

What are you doing to stop bills like this exactly? At least they're trying.

Should we be able to? Are we Japanese?

As with the SOPA protests, I can't do a damn thing and my signature means less than nothing. I am a European who has no say in what the American people want, and you are probably not Japanese, so you get no say in what the Japanese people want. If you are determined to help, assist the Japanese in arguing their own case - don't try to do it for them.

mysecondlife:
wareware wa ah-no-ni-mo-su desu!

Anyways, I guess all the smart 'hackers' got caught.

You put the wrong word in speech quotes.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here