Radical Entertainment Goes Under

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Radical Entertainment Goes Under

Activision has pulled the plug on Prototype studio Radical Entertainment.

Rumors of the end of Vancouver-based Radical Entertainment that surfaced earlier today have now been confirmed by parent company Activision. "Although we made a substantial investment in the Prototype IP, it did not find a broad commercial audience," the company said in a statement. "Radical is a very talented team of developers, however, we have explored various options for the studio, including a potential sale of the business, and have made a difficult conclusion through the consultation process that the only remaining option is a significant reduction in staff."

Radical apparently won't disappear completely, as Activision said some employees will remain to support ongoing projects at other studios. "But the studio will cease development of its own games going forward," the publisher added.

Radical's last game was Prototype 2, which came out for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in April. It was the top-selling game for the month, beating out Kinect Star Wars and Modern Warfare 3 - not exactly the stiffest competition ever, in other words - but overall sales for the month were down by 32 percent year-over-year. The game then slipped to fourth in May, behind Diablo 3, Max Payne 3 and Ghost Recon: Future Soldier; actual numbers haven't been released but according to Cowen & Co. analyst Doug Creutz, both Max Payne 3 and Ghost Recon: Future Soldier "underperformed" for the month, selling just over 400,000 units each.

We here at The Escapist wish all the best to everyone affected by the layoffs.

Source: Kotaku, G4, NDTV, Gamasutra

It's never good when a studio goes under, but I have to admit I'm not really upset by this. The Prototype games weren't that great.

In direct opposition to the person above me (no offense Scrustle)...
Damn, thats a shame. I'm rather enjoying Prototype 2's B-movie style action.

As if this wasnt obviously coming when those cutbacks were made to the studio last year.

I am in no way being a sarcastic douchebag when I say queue the "Lonely Man" theme from the Incredible Hulk.

I had fun with the products Radical had put out, and I wish the employees the best.

Just standard Activision operating procedure.

If Activision owns your dev studio there's going to be one game that doesn't hit 5 million + sales and get a 90+ on metacritic, and you're going to get fired for it.

Just when it looked like EA were running away with the douche trophy, Activision are back in the game!

DA FAQ?

Srsly Prototype 2 HAD to have made a profit! Any money is better than no money Activision!

AC10:

If Activision owns your dev studio there's going to be one game that doesn't hit 5 million + sales and get a 90+ on metacritic, and you're going to get fired for it.

I'm pretty sure that was EA who made the 5 million sales and 90+ metacritic across the board statements, lay the out of touch douche-bag credit where it's due. Still, it does suck that they're getting the axe after just one game doesn't meet expectations.

I hope that everyone that winds up losing there job can quickly find a new one. They did good work to complete even a single game. Its tough to be in an industry where companies can so easily boom and bust.

Andy Chalk:
Radical apparently won't disappear completely, as Activision said some employees will remain to support ongoing projects at other studios.

They can always put them to work on Call of Duty, and probably will.

Sad to see. Prototype had its quirks but was so frenetic and visceral that it was a lot of fun to play.

I can't help wondering. quite seriously, if the big guys like Activision and EA are going to wipe themselves out, killing franchise after franchise, studio upon studio, as they steer everything into the middle of the road, push budgets through the roof and into orbit and do the 'you have failed me for the last time' routine on anyone and everyone that doesn't meet their increasingly unrealistic profit expectations.

There's got to be a better way to run an industry than this. There's just got to be.

No new Prototype games for the foreseeable future maybe?

Still, while im here i might aswell ask:

Does Prototype 2 have a definate, final ''end''? Im not intererested if its good quality or not but is it hinting for another sequel?

I dont generaly want to invest myself further in any VG series if the end will be left ambiguous or unresolved.

Dont give me that look, you know i always will love you though :>

How do you do a year over year comparison for something that was out for one month?

You don't. They can say that it under performed or didn't meat sales expectations, but you can't do a year over year comparison. That seems idiotic to me. And how is Modern Warfare 3 not stiff competition?

I hate how big business thinks sometimes. As long as this doesn't interrupt the release of my already pre-purchased Prototype 2 for the PC, ultimately I don't care I suppose, though I do wish the best for the studio imployees.

I guess this free radical should have stayed unpaired.
Too bad they had to suffer such an infamous fate.

I enjoyed prototype 1 & 2 but it didn't have any staying power. It was too damn easy and I payed extra for the radnet edition just to have to wait weeks for the dlc I payed for to be unlocked.

well it was fun while it lasted i wish them the best

NinjaDeathSlap:
Just when it looked like EA were running away with the douche trophy, Activision are back in the game!

they need to be the best!

Lets see here:

Game budgets are expanding at basically a linear rate, while sales figures are stagnant or falling....

Clearly the only solution to this is to gut every studio not making a CoD game.

Baresark:
How do you do a year over year comparison for something that was out for one month?

You don't. They can say that it under performed or didn't meat sales expectations, but you can't do a year over year comparison. That seems idiotic to me. And how is Modern Warfare 3 not stiff competition?

I hate how big business thinks sometimes. As long as this doesn't interrupt the release of my already pre-purchased Prototype 2 for the PC, ultimately I don't care I suppose, though I do wish the best for the studio imployees.

It's called making projections :(

And no, they never, ever make sense. Especially not in this case.

(redacted) my mistake.

tbh we should probably stop calling them "publishers"

this kinda stuff is so far away from the traditional media creative/publisher relationship we badly need a new word to describe what these companies are...and no we can't use swear words, they are already used more than enough.

Wow... And here I was thinking that all that stuff about EA and Activision was gross hyperbole. Got my dumbass I guess.

What happened to the days when developers made games for the sake of making games? Now the games industry is on the verge of imploding thanks to some dickhead CEO who doesn't understand the basics of a how a video game even functions.

And another studio is destroyed by the EA/Activision machine.

KeyMaster45:

AC10:

I'm pretty sure that was EA who made the 5 million sales and 90+ metacritic across the board statements, lay the out of touch douche-bag credit where it's due. Still, it does suck that they're getting the axe after just one game doesn't meet expectations.

Except Activision has operated like that way before EA said they were going to operate like that. They've thrown out plenty of projects because they can't repeatedly milk them year after year (research Brutal Legend for an example). Kotick, the head of Activision, said on multiple occassions he wanted to take the fun out of gaming and wanted to increase the price of games on several occassions. I know they hold their own developers to absurd standards and will kill them off if they don't end up as the next Call of Duty. I wish I remembered which game was this but one of the developers said they would only get a bonus if they got a 90+ metacritic score. Like AC10 said this is standard Activision.

80Maxwell08:
I wish I remembered which game was this but one of the developers said they would only get a bonus if they got a 90+ metacritic score. Like AC10 said this is standard Activision.

Fallout: New Vegas ?

but the guilty party was Bethesda not Activision.

and it was 85 instead of 90.

they are all as bad as each other though.

Sleekit:

80Maxwell08:
I wish I remembered which game was this but one of the developers said they would only get a bonus if they got a 90+ metacritic score. Like AC10 said this is standard Activision.

Fallout: New Vegas

but the guilty party was Bethesda not Activision.

they are all as bad as each other though.

No this wasn't that. F:NV was 85+. I think the game was Call of Duty and the devs were the 2 who left after MW2 but I don't remember the game.
EDIT: Ok found it. It wasn't CoD but it was Bungie's new game. They will get a 2.5 million bonus if they get 90+ metacritic.
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=474970

Not gonna lie, I'm pissed about this. While they were far from perfect, both Prototype games were some of the most fun I've ever had with a controller in my hands.

I just hope that these guys can go on to make something awesome in the future.

Also, well done Activision, for letting go the only people who made me buy your shit. *clap* *clap*

And the developers who made The Simpsons: Hit and Run are gone.

I will be anticipating the time, when the Call Of Duty franchise stops making money, just to see how Activision reacts when they realise that they shut down all of the developers, who could be making them money now.

AC10:

actually, i think EA said that

anyway

on the one hand, sucks more people lost jobs

on the other

.... eh .... i'd never know who they where if they hadn't mentioned prototype

Video games, ladies and gentleman. Where making a month's best selling game and selling possibly close to a million units over a few months means you go bankrupt.

Don't worry though, the industry is fine! Let's hire more hot women to parade in front of our demos.

The Prototype games were meh, there was nothing wrong with them it was just they often just kept leaving you wanting more. I mean when jumping off a 20 story building and landing on a tank gets boring, something has gone wrong.

Baresark:

And how is Modern Warfare 3 not stiff competition?

It was released last year. Thus beating it months after it came out isn't impressive.

Alright, so, let me get this straight. Because Prototype didn't sell as much as CoD, Acitivision has decided to shut down the studio, despite the fact that they just finished saying the guys at the studio are talented guys and they could just put the studio to work on something else. They go on to list options they had considered, including SELLING the studio for money, doing something which would get them back some of the money they spent so making money. They could make money, but have instead decided 'nah, let's just FIRE THEM ALL' (or at least most of them) instead. Really? REALLY!? I swear it's like they WANT us to hate their guts. And then people continue to work for them, people continue to sell their companies into deals with Activision, even after watching what Activision does to people, WHYYYYY!?

good bye radical games
A years ago i was Bizarre Creation

so many great studios are going under thanks to Activision and EA

Small developer working with large publisher whose games break sales record every year...

Sadly, this could have only ended in one way.

Just another hint toward ditching publishers for a new model being the eventual out for the dev teams and franchizes who keep getting strangled by this crap.

Where teams can live within their means, thrive on their own modest success; and job security doesn't depend on retards injecting stupid amounts of money and then firing everyone because sales growth isn't sufficiently huge during a FUCKING DEPRESSION!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here