Dishonored's Ending Shifts With Your Play Style

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

This game looks positively incredible.

The more I hear about it the more interesting it becomes.

tmande2nd:
If anything I cant wait to do the stealth run through.

Knowing that no matter what you place in the assassins path they will get you.
Also I plan on possessing a mook and just waltzing right through the entire level if I can.
Or just making said mook run up and slap another guard, and then leave him to be killed.

Also did the mana meter recharge?

Only for Blink, I'm pretty sure. It's the only power that is completely cost free.

For those people complaining about some of the spells looking over powered, look at the video again. The fish possession at the beginning burned through three quarters of player's mana. While I'm sure mana potions are abundant enough to use it regularly, there is probably a very definite limit to how frequently you can use it.

This is the only game coming out in 2012 that is gonna be on my preorder list.

kind of overpowered.

it takes some of the joy of stealth out.

must... stop my self... from mentioning... ME3... FFFFFFUUUUUU

If the actual game is even a fraction as cool as that was, I will buy it.

This is all well and good, but don't promise something you can't keep. Bioware learned this the hard way.

You only look overpowered because the player in the demo has full access to all tools/equipment plus what seemed to be a ridiculous amount of potions, to demonstrate what's available

Waffle_Man:
For those people complaining about some of the spells looking over powered, look at the video again. The fish possession at the beginning burned through three quarters of player's mana. While I'm sure mana potions are abundant enough to use it regularly, there is probably a very definite limit to how frequently you can use it.

exactly. the demo had the player drinking mana potion after mana potion to display the effectiveness of all the supernatural abilities at work. I highly doubt that in game you would have access to that many potions at your disposal, without sacrificing other tools/potions (assuming there's a weight component

Incredibly looking forward to this later on this year.

Press A to blow everyone and yourself up, press B to destroy government and plunge world into anarchy, press X to totalitarianise everything.
There. Multiple endings.
This game will almost definitely be a disappointment (Beth is writing it so it's guaranteed to have a shitty fucking story, and the gameplay will certainly not live up to expectations).

Combine Rustler:
Press A to blow everyone and yourself up, press B to destroy government and plunge world into anarchy, press X to totalitarianise everything.
There. Multiple endings.
This game will almost definitely be a disappointment (Beth is writing it so it's guaranteed to have a shitty fucking story, and the gameplay will certainly not live up to expectations).

No, they're not. Bethy is publishing it. The game and story are done by Arkane.

ooo it has "paths" wow.. praising something that's been done to death.

Uber Evil:

Combine Rustler:
There. Multiple endings.

No, they're not. Bethy is publishing it. The game and story are done by Arkane.

Huh. Never heard of them.
But Bethesda's got an awful fucking track record of publishing other peoples' games. Like Wet and that Rogue Commando thing and other sacks of crap. So yeah, it'll probably still suck.
I feel good about that. I want it to be awful.
Edit: Also, (after looking it up) Arkane are the guys who made something called Arx Fatalis, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and Bioshock 2.
I know why this game felt familiar.

Dont know how I missed hearing about this game but it looks awesome, definetly one for the "Must buy" list! I just hope that all the missions allow for this level of variety though.

Magical steampunk assassination odyssey you can complete stealthily without killing a single opponent?

How have I not heard about this before? Add 'where you play a badass wrench wench' and I'd already have my preorder in!

On a slightly less fanboyish note, this game suddenly looks like something I might really enjoy playing. Nice going Arkane, you piqued all my interest.

e cost of weapon skill, still they have a point, some of those spells look rather Over-Powers

rhizhim:
kind of overpowered.

it takes some of the joy of stealth.

I fucking love that film

OT: I hope there's a way to see who's innocent and who isn't, I'm planning on only killing guilty people or douchebags

Farther than stars:

The Artificially Prolonged:
I'm very impressed, the more I hear about this game the more I'm looking for to it. I loved the little bit of info on the non-lethal way of eliminating the targets.

Oh, yeah, that too. I loved the fact that he said you can go through the entire game without killing anyone. When was the last time that happened? A combat-driven game in which you don't have to kill anyone... Even "Deus Ex: Human Revolution" failed on that front. But here you can choose to be an assassin who doesn't actually do any assassinating. How awesome is that? :)

greenflash:
Im interested but i think that possession might be a bit overpowered, just from how i have seen it used in the video ie, possessing the target to get them isolated or using it to sneak around really easily.

Yeah, but in a way that's what stealth games are all about; being overpowered. You always have two major advantages over your opponents: shadows and foresight. You can move around and see them without them seeing you and thus you can plan how to dispatch them without them ever knowing. I mean, take games like Thief or Splinter Cell, where all you do is take out guard after guard. But the main difference with most AAA games is that it's not about gunning your way through with sheer determination and hand-eye coordination. It's more about long-term strategy and using your guile.

From the look of it, the possession ability takes up a lot of the blue thing (I'm going to call it mana for ease). From the appearance of the video, you need a fair bit to pull of a possession and you don't appear to be able to kill yourself while possessed either so that might balance it. Otherwise this games look fantastic and I cannot wait to play it.

At first I was a bit 'meh' about this game, but the more I hear, the more I like.

tmande2nd:
If anything I cant wait to do the stealth run through.

Knowing that no matter what you place in the assassins path they will get you.
Also I plan on possessing a mook and just waltzing right through the entire level if I can.
Or just making said mook run up and slap another guard, and then leave him to be killed.

Also did the mana meter recharge?

I imagine you'll get a perk of some kind that lets it recharge, but it didn't look like it was recharging in the demo, he kept on using potions.

I'll bet they have achievements for each play style, like:
[You're A Cool Guy!] : Complete the game without killing anyone
[You're A Dick] : Kill ALL the people!

etc.

Oh wow. Looks like this game could be the Hitman sequel Absolution is probably not going to be.

whiles its got my interest bethesda only make xbox games with crappy ports these days so im very wary. ill wait to see reviews, etc before touching it on a pc

I think this game will benefit from being on the pc, the changing of powers in that wheel menu thing seems very slow and annoying.

The other thing is the FPS melee and stealth...Mirror edge, Thief, Zeno Clash etc. in my mind are all kind of worse of because they didn't use 3rd person view. You get in a close combat fight, especially with magic drops and enemy surrounding you, you might want to have a sense of where they are. Also when sneaking around, it's kind of nice to know where exactly you are and if some part of you is visible to the enemy, instead of just running into a column and peeking around it, I know that goes into a kind of cover shooter thing, but I think it'd benefit from taking some points from Splinter cell games.

On the one hand this looks FUCKING AWESOME and seems to be what bioshock really should have been like (I.E. actual choice and varied ways in which to approach the game).

On the other hand, the last game that this dev (Arkane Studios) made themselves, dark messiah, was not very good. In fact, it was bad.
Now, one can hope that they have gotten better since then, In fact they were in collaboration with Valve for a while (albiet, on a game that never came out) so maybe they picked something up from them. But I can't shake this feeling of aprehension. I'll just have to wait and see.

Gabanuka:
e cost of weapon skill, still they have a point, some of those spells look rather Over-Powers

rhizhim:
kind of overpowered.

I fucking love that film

OT: I hope there's a way to see who's innocent and who isn't, I'm planning on only killing guilty people or douchebags

i just finished spec ops: the line. the endings. they are so damn dark..

and it shows why 'only killing guilty people or douchebags' is not that easy.

Yeah, I'm still going to bet this game will suck in some way. Just using the Yahtzee approach here, in case things do go south.

I mean, I've been hungering for some good ol' Deus Ex style of gameplay, and this game just sounds too good to be true.

The only way it would become even more difficult for me to contain myself would be if the developers announced a similar talk-down mechanic like in Human Revolution.

Gabanuka:

rhizhim:
kind of overpowered.

I fucking love that film

Pretty damn difficult. Some people may just be doing their jobs to feed their families. In that case, just do what I did in Human Revolution. Knock out everyone who you're not certain is deserving of death, and everyone else (like say, slave owners) feel free to BREAK THEIR FUCKING SKULLS.

Sorry but, it's really, really, REALLY difficult not to be incredibly jaded when it comes too Developers making claims like this. The Mass Effect 3 fiasco is an obvious and recent example, but it is -not- the worst offender in that arena, and it is not the only one.

kitsuta:
Dishonored's E3 walkthroughs show the pros and cons of using stealth.

I would have preferred it if said 'cons' where not simply mechanical. When I saw this article I remembered the furore over the Mass Effect plot 'choices' and thought, "Oh wow, Dishonored is going to incorporate some plot cons to taking stealth choices - being stealthy means I don't get everything my own way" (e.g. quiet assassinations are covered up by the bad guys as natural deaths). Instead, it seems the only con is simply to make stealth a longer process than run-and-gun. No plot choices are denied to you by using stealth in the way that run-and-gun would shrink your options. Granted, I'm extrapolating this all from this one example, but heck, there doesn't appear the chance of being so stealthy that you arrive late.

Looks very Bioshock-esque

I've heard that before, but I'm not jaded enough not to give Dishonored a chance.
Wait! Yes I fucking am.
Go to hell Dishonored. Go to hell!

Metalrocks:
i will keep an eye on this game. looks promising actually. having the option to run around without killing anyone?? nice. sounds like deus ex.
and just in time when im back in australia. lol. lets hope it will be uncut before the 18+ rating takes action.

Harvey Smith was lead designer on Deus Ex, and he's project lead on this along with Raph Colantonio, who was project lead on Arx Fatalis (another Immersive Sim).

Combine Rustler:
(Beth is writing it so it's guaranteed to have a shitty fucking story, and the gameplay will certainly not live up to expectations).

'Dishonored developer Arkane Studios'

First line. Or third line of the whole article. But seriously, first line.

I guess I will end up mostly playing stealthily on the highest difficulty setting in a similar manner to Deus Ex:HR.

After watching the gameplay videos I'm actually less excited about this game now.

It is quite obviously Bioshock meets Thief, not that it won't be fun.

...I just thought it was going to be a little less cliche.

Interesting, looks like it runs on a tweaked form of the Bioshock engine or something. Looks cool. Although it could also be good as a third-person game.

Looks amazing, fact they made Dark Messiah worries me though - terrible game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here