Your Health Will Regenerate in Resident Evil 6

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Your Health Will Regenerate in Resident Evil 6

"Wait a moment, let me duck down and heal from this zombie bite."

Since Resident Evil 4, Capcom's landmark survival horror series has gradually become less, well, survival-horror-y. Co-op play in brightly lit desert environments in RE5 wasn't very scary. The upcoming Resident Evil 6 will add another standard action game trope to the franchise's growing library thereof: health that regenerates over time.

In all fairness, the series' trademark healing herbs aren't going away entirely. The player's health in RE6 will be divided into health blocks rather than one single gauge. Any damage that the player takes in the current box will gradually regenerate, but if one of the blocks is completely depleted, the player will need to use a healing herb to restore it.

Some will laud this change as a desperately needed modernization that the series has needed for some time, like the ability to shoot while moving. Still, it's hard to feel like these quality-of-life improvements to make the game more accessible are taking away from both the "survival" and "horror" parts of the experience.

If you can just duck behind a wall to heal from injuries, can monsters really be that scary? And if you don't need to make the choice to use a precious healing herb to make it through the next section, what are you surviving?

On the other hand, terrible fixed camera angles made the games scarier, too - and I don't think anyone wants to go back to those.

Source: Gameranx

I don't think Capcom can or will make it scary by this point since it is Capcom we are talking about.

Just enjoy the ride guys...on the corpse of your childhood.BWHAHAHAHAHAHA

Well that was funny

I think this is the way to do regening health: partially, not all the way.

So it's more like having a bunch of small HP bars, instead of just one. Regenerating within small HP bars might not be so bad. On the other hand it's still a bit dumb, but whatever.

But what about the Multi-player?

Most of them are getting far too easy now anyway, especially the long running franchises.

I just got the Devil May Cry HD collection yesterday and I'm getting my head kicked in. I can't even get past the puppets on the 2nd level for crying out loud! Maybe its just age.

Gearhead mk2:

No the way to do regenerating health is none @ all.

it may work, but even if it does it isnt going to help with the whole survival horror part of the game. It just seems like a pointless addition in the best case scenario to me.

seems to me there just trying to turn up controversy with this.

The7Sins:

Gearhead mk2:

No the way to do regenerating health is none @ all.

I said it was the way to do regening health, not that regening health was any good. Regen doesn't have any place in a horror game. Still, I'm glad that they're doing this halfway comprimise thing rather then just going the whole hog.

Someone is going to be outraged by this.

Reminds me of how Far Cry 2 did health, with bars the would regenerate as long as they were not completely empty. Otherwise you would have to inject yourself with magic.

Partial regenerating health bar?

How many sequels till I'm just playing Resistance Evil 8?

It's like the first Resistance: Fall of Man game, the health bar is split into sections (four in all) that refills over time but not the one that's empty one so each time you fight you cannot allow another bar to be lost cause you'll heal even "less" and can die faster in one hit if you don't use a health item against the stronger enemies.

Example:
image[/quote]

I find this to be a acceptable compromise though I am sad that the reliance on health items have been given less priority but given the amount of fast relentless enemies you will encounter at the same time it makes sense

When I saw the headline I let out a sigh if disgust. After I found out it was just a lesser version of that I let out a slightly softer sigh.

Why don't they stop beating around the bush and make Call of Resident Duty.
Or just replace the zombie section in Black Ops 2 with RE6. At least people still enjoy the zombie mode in Black Ops

I got all worried for a second. But that is the one way to do regenerative health right.

Eh so basically there's no more questioning on taking the herb or not? That's disappointing. Why do they think they need to try and draw in players who enjoy health regen? Don't they realize those people wouldn't leave their COD's and BF's for a game that is trying to claim survival horror?

Also, why is it we have yet to get a sandbox racoon city game? I might be willing to overlook this whole regen thing, IF I was tossed into a RE zombie filled setting after the outbreak.

Escape from Butcher Bay approach, huh? Alright, whatever. It's not as though I'm getting this game anyway.

I have no intention of paying $120 for a $60 game.

Also, still not big on the move-and-shoot thing. I thought having to stand still to aim was part of what made Resident Evil 4 quite so fun.

bafrali:
I don't think Capcom can or will make it scary by this point since it is Capcom we are talking about.

Just enjoy the ride guys...on the corpse of your childhood.BWHAHAHAHAHAHA

Well that was funny

Eh... not that funny. but funnier than this.

So... the same healing system that's in Chronicles of Riddick, Far Cry 2, and Resistance Fall of Man?

I'm ok with this. It lets you have the tension of being short on health without the bullshit of getting royally screwed by hitting a checkpoint at 2% health.

This is...better news than I thought! I will be playing this with my cousin and do an all-nighter! (We finished Resident Evil 5, we started at 3am and ended around midday, when we opened the curtains...fuck it hurt)

I may or may not get drunk to play this, drunk gaming with others is bat-shit hilarious (alone is just sad)

How do they regenerate health? I don't know, the H-Virus.

For those too stupid to get it, the H stands for "health."

Gearhead mk2:

Agreed, it's a perfect middle ground, you still have to avoid taking too much damage and make sure you have some spare med-kits lying about but you don't have to worry about passing a checkpoint with health so low an errant fart could kill you and then being unable to go back because your last save was over an hour ago.

By the way, it should probably be noted Amnesia: The Dark Descent used a form of regenerating health and that game is (rightly) considered one of the best survival horror experiences out there.

The Great JT:
How do they regenerate health? I don't know, the H-Virus.

For those too stupid to get it, the H stands for "health."

Either that, or after killing Wesker, Chris stole his supply of Plot Device Virus.

Of course, the real test for RE6 for me will be if they an come up with a compelling story now that they finally tied up all the loose ends from the earlier games.

After reading the article, this isn't nearly as bad as I feared.

It's actually not even bad imo.

captcha: 'do you love me'

meh, we will see

Well, it's not as bad as the title made it out to be. We'll have to see it in practice before we can judge just how much easier it makes the game though. Regenerating health won't help you if you don't have time to regenerate because all the zombies keep charging you, after all.

But... but I don't need any more reasons to not use herbs. They already take up enough inventory space as it is... (Even more so when you have infinite ammo :D) Ah vvell...

Irridium:
So... the same healing system that's in Chronicles of Riddick, Far Cry 2, and Resistance Fall of Man?

I'm ok with this. It lets you have the tension of being short on health without the bullshit of getting royally screwed by hitting a checkpoint at 2% health.

This. It worked well in Riddick and that game was fairly suspenseful and creepy.

Irridium:

Pretty much this. I was initially pissed off when I saw the title, but when I saw the details of how it actually works, it does not seem so bad. Honestly, this way or the Halo 1/Reach way are the best ways to do regenerating health. All of the positives of both with none of the negatives.

Still not getting the game, but wasn't going to be as bad as I thought it was. XD

The compromise with the single block thing is nice, but still.

WHY IS THIS NECESSARY?
It's not like the last 2 games were any kind of extremely difficult. In Resi 4 towards the end I had multiple spray cans and herb combinations stacked up.

If you have to do regenerating health, which by the way you don't, this is probably the best way to do it.

I actually like this way of doing regenerating health - should keep the game relatively challenging without any "oh-god-why-getting-one-shot-by-Wesker-and-no-health-herbs" that fixed health causes.

One thing I've wondered ever since Resident Evil 4 - are old survival horror games only scary because the controls and camera sucked? Does implementing current-generation control schemes immediately invalidate any kind of real horror from the experience?

sethisjimmy:
The compromise with the single block thing is nice, but still.

WHY IS THIS NECESSARY?
It's not like the last 2 games were any kind of extremely difficult. In Resi 4 towards the end I had multiple spray cans and herb combinations stacked up.

RE4 in pro-difficulty was actually pretty difficult. :p Do-able, but still took a while.

Also, for the people comparing this to Resistance's health-system: keep in mind that resistance didn't have herbs. You couldn't save healthkits for later and that's why it worked so well.

This type of health-regen PLUS herbs really breaks down difficulty

I didn't like RE until RE4 came out. RE5 felt like a step backwards in a lot of aspects, but was still enjoyable. Based on what I've seen with RE6, it will have something for everyone.

Actually, this kind of health regeneration actually makes sense to me. Seems akin to a person being able to perform first aid to mitigate the impact of wounds. They should have a small animation that shows the player applying bandages or antiseptic to wounds while they're in cover while it regenerates.

They could make it scarier if you needed to do absolutely nothing while regenerating health, as in, even look around (since you're focusing on first aid) and make zombies attracted to you while this is happening (due to the smell of blood, or something), making health regeneration a tradeoff between being healthy or being alert.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here