European Union Rejects ACTA

European Union Rejects ACTA

The European Parliament has voted overwhelmingly against the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement.

As expected, the European Parliament has given the thumbs-down to the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement, better known as ACTA, an international treaty intended to standardize and protect intellectual property rights. But opponents fear it will lead to censorship and a stifling of innovation, and have undertaken a widespread and determined campaign to shoot it down. More than 30,000 Europeans turned out to protest ACTA in February, a remarkably vociferous response to a proposed international trade agreement.

The E.U. Trade Commission had already voted 19-2 against the bill, and while that vote had no binding power, the likelihood that the European Parliament would go against the Trade Commission's recommendation was considered extremely unlikely. It did not, and in fact the Parliamentary vote was similarly lopsided, with 478 voting against it and only 39 voting in favor. There were also 165 abstentions.

Scottish MEP David Martin, who reported to the European Parliament on the proposal, said that although he was "very pleased that Parliament has followed my recommendation to reject ACTA," the E.U. still needs to find workable ways to protect IP rights, while E.U. Trade Commissioner Karl De Gucht suggested that there might yet be life left in the bill.

"Today's rejection does not change the fact that the European Commission has committed itself to seeking answers to the questions raised by the European public," De Gucht said. "The European Commission will continue to seek the legal opinion of the European Court of Justice on whether this agreement harms any of the fundamental rights of European citizens - including freedom of speech. European citizens have raised these concerns and now they have the right to receive answers. We must respect that right."

Many nations, including the U.S., Canada, Australia, Japan and 22 E.U. member states, have already signed ACTA, although it has yet to be ratified anywhere. But the widespread opposition to the proposed treaty led the European Commission to suspend the ratification process while it sought the opinion of the European Court of Justice, and several European nations ultimately chose not to support it.

Sources: AP, BBC

Seems like rather a hollow victory, but a victory none the less.

Makes me smile.

EU FUCK YEAH!

Please, become a country! Please become a country!

*Phew* Even though I new about the E.U. Trade Commission vote, I didn't dare to take this completely for granted before now. So, time for beer and chocolate cake, methinks. (It's a weekday. Full celebrations this weekend...)

Thank fucking christ. this stupid treaty is just another SOPA.

Yeah, screw you, America.
Oh, wait, America may still nick our citizens if it feels like it.
Well, at least we only suffer from censorship from our own countries, now, though a lot of people want Britain to leave the EU anyway. Because, yeah, it may have chosen this decision right but it doesn't really seem to have worked that well/

Oh my God, the EU did something right, my whole sense of reality has been turned upside down.

The EU gets more things right than the tabloids would have you believe, just saying...

First the digital resale thing now this they seem to be on a roll with gaming issues lately.

It's good to feel the taste of victory, but let me play the devil's advocate for a moment:

European politicians that has supported ACTA, stated that this trade agreement would be the only way for EU to compete in the global market. A Swedish supporter had this to say (I'm translating his statements from Swedish):

I find it saddening that the European parliament said no to an international collaboration in the struggle against counterfeiting and IP crimes.

He continues by stating that the debate had the wrong focus, too much on piracy, he says. He also strongly disagree with the claim that ACTA would be a threat against civil rights.

Many claims (about ACTA infringing human rights) aren't just based on myths, but on outright lies. I do appreciate that there has been a lively debate in Europe, on this subject. I can, however, have the opinion that it occurred with false bases and for wrong reasons.

He further claims that rejecting ACTA will have negative consequences for the EU.

The voice of Europe will, because of this, weaken in the struggle against counterfeiting and piracy. Europe's competitiveness does not build upon cheap labour or raw goods, but ideas. Now Europe won't be able to defend these ideas.

Now, let me just say that I disagree with him. He's completely disregarding the very nature of innovation and creativity. Also, this kind of reasoning simply state that the concerns of EU, matter more the ones of the developing nations. This isn't how globalization works.

Now, don't get me wrong here, I still loathe the UK membership of the EU. But, it seems that on rare occasions, it can be a good thing. Congrats, EU. Well done for actually seeing sense, for once... :)

I think this would be more meaningful to readers if the links to the actual ACTA document (translated) were attached, or at least an accurate synopsis/abstract

This had been coming for ages. By the time the liberal faction had worked out its opposition from an initial mixed reception, I knew this would happen already, and that was over a year ago. As for the 'ahmygawd the EU did something right crowd': Open your eyes and read something else than a gossip magazine for a change. You might actually learn something about how the EU and its politics work.

Yay! Down with ACTA. If they had just been up front about what they were trying to do, if they had included relevant public interest groups, I wouldn't have a problem with them trying to strengthen US intellectual property law abroad. But the deceptive way they went about it, not including anyone to represent the interests of the general public, they think this is still old world politics, well guess again, we live in the information age and there is no putting that genie back in the bottle.

Trivun:
Now, don't get me wrong here, I still loathe the UK membership of the EU. But, it seems that on rare occasions, it can be a good thing. Congrats, EU. Well done for actually seeing sense, for once... :)

Daily Mail reader? The UK has seen nothing but benefits from being in the EU... The single currency isn't working out great for them at the moment, but, I need hardly remind you, we're not part of it, and our economy would be in much, much worse shape were we not a member... Ever wondered why ALL of the major parties support membership? Because it would be economic suicide to leave the union. Also, don't forget the amount of benefits we get from the US-UK "special relationship" - a relationship that is built, in no small part, by a desire of the US to have a close friend in on EU proceedings.

GiglameshSoulEater:
Yeah, screw you, America.
Oh, wait, America may still nick our citizens if it feels like it.
Well, at least we only suffer from censorship from our own countries, now, though a lot of people want Britain to leave the EU anyway. Because, yeah, it may have chosen this decision right but it doesn't really seem to have worked that well/

The EU has worked great. It's the single currency that's a bit iffy.

Andy Chalk:
Many nations, including the U.S., Canada, Australia, Japan and 22 E.U. member states, have already signed ACTA, although it has yet to be ratified anywhere.

So what exactly does this mean? Does the treaty need to be approved by everyone involved in order to be ratified? Or is it more like the Kyoto Protocol where every country that signs it is bound to it even if it fails elsewhere? I don't know how international treaties like this work.

The voice of Europe will, because of this, weaken in the struggle against counterfeiting and piracy. Europe's competitiveness does not build upon cheap labour or raw goods, but ideas. Now Europe won't be able to defend these ideas.

Ugh, I hate this attitude. "Our job is to sit at a desk and come up with ideas. We have people to do all the real manual labor for us." It's bad enough when individuals say it, but now we have entire countries taking that attitude towards other (mostly second- and third-world) countries. Like they exist to be our servants. It's fucked up, is what it is. And what about when they decide they don't want to work for us anymore, and we have nothing to fall back on? As my dad once said, you can't eat an idea.

YES! They're doing something right in Europe! Let's hope North America does the same :D

If the rest of the

blueb0g:

Trivun:

Daily Mail reader? The UK has seen nothing but benefits from being in the EU... The single currency isn't working out great for them at the moment, but, I need hardly remind you, we're not part of it, and our economy would be in much, much worse shape were we not a member... Ever wondered why ALL of the major parties support membership? Because it would be economic suicide to leave the union. Also, don't forget the amount of benefits we get from the US-UK "special relationship" - a relationship that is built, in no small part, by a desire of the US to have a close friend in on EU proceedings.

There is the small matter of trampling democracy when its inconvenient see Ireland having to vote 'correctly' the second time and Italy and Greece having their presidents 'nudged'
The common market is the thing that helps our economy almost everything els is a disaster with he notable exception of digital policy and thankfully the auditor so at least we know how screwed up everything els is.
It could be a really good thing but has a long way to go.

theSteamSupported:
It's good to feel the taste of victory, but let me play the devil's advocate for a moment:

European politicians that has supported ACTA, stated that this trade agreement would be the only way for EU to compete in the global market. A Swedish supporter had this to say (I'm translating his statements from Swedish):

I find it saddening that the European parliament said no to an international collaboration in the struggle against counterfeiting and IP crimes.

He continues by stating that the debate had the wrong focus, too much on piracy, he says. He also strongly disagree with the claim that ACTA would be a threat against civil rights.

Many claims (about ACTA infringing human rights) aren't just based on myths, but on outright lies. I do appreciate that there has been a lively debate in Europe, on this subject. I can, however, have the opinion that it occurred with false bases and for wrong reasons.

He further claims that rejecting ACTA will have negative consequences for the EU.

Now, let me just say that I disagree with him. He's completely disregarding the very nature of innovation and creativity. Also, this kind of reasoning simply state that the concerns of EU, matter more the ones of the developing nations. This isn't how globalization works.

I assume that is Christofer Fjellner that you're quoting. He doesn't have a clue what ACTA is about and has proven so on multiple occasions. I can't believe that they let people in the trade commission vote on things that they have several misconceptions about.

It's nothing but GOOD that ACTA got voted down. The bill had more vague language than SOPA and PIPA combined and was nothing but a hit job by American special interests.

blueb0g:

Trivun:

I'm not going to go into detail about why I don't like the EU, except to say briefly that I studied them and was taught abou botht the benefits and consequences of membership, from all sides, and made an informed decision on my views from that. I won't get into a debate because at the end of the day, I'm tired and want to sleep. But, for the record, I'm not a Daily Mail reader, I hate the Daily Mail (and the major tabloids in general), and I reckon they have an obvious bias that they don't even bother to try and hide. I prefer my news media as free from bias as humanly possible, and from as many sources and perspectives as possible, something the Daily Mail will never do save in their reader's comments because God forbid they promote the views of anyone who doesn't like the Tories or doesn't believe that radiotherapy causes cancer... :P

It's a good time to be part of the EU methinks, at least they're doing something right lately.

Although, how long will the UK stay part of the EU?

Now we only need this treaty to die elsewhere.

Alterego-X:
EU FUCK YEAH!

Hahaha

You can't be serious. :\

OT: Nice to see EU parliament doing something useful again. Lately they've been getting nothing but bad press for the whole Euro-Greece-Spain thing.

What a decidedly neutral article. Beside writing Söderström without umlauts the other day, Chalk is swiftly becoming my favourite writer on the Escapist.

Trivun:

What is it with this separatism? It's like you want the UK to become a political pariah.

Thedutchjelle:
Nice to see EU parliament doing something useful again. Lately they've been getting nothing but bad press for the whole Euro-Greece-Spain thing.

Well, let's be fair, the EU can't really do anything about that. It's Germany that's been dragging its feet. (Not that the UK is entirely blameless, with PM Cameron being so pro austerity.)

Ed.:

blueb0g:

Trivun:

There is the small matter of trampling democracy when its inconvenient see Ireland having to vote 'correctly' the second time and Italy and Greece having their presidents 'nudged'
The common market is the thing that helps our economy almost everything els is a disaster with he notable exception of digital policy and thankfully the auditor so at least we know how screwed up everything els is.
It could be a really good thing but has a long way to go.

Irelands economy is finally strong again.

Italy and greece's presidents were as corrupt as they get. Everyone who had a higher education in those countries was leaving them. Because, ya know it was the smart thing to do. If you look at the financial crisis that those countries are having they weren't wrong. The EU has some good stuff and some bad stuff. In my opinion the worst thing they have done is the euro. The first thing that greece should have done is inflation. But they couldn't because they are stuck with the euro.

Those are my two cents, feel free to disagree :). I'd like to have a civil discussion if at all possible.

Farther than stars:

Thedutchjelle:
Nice to see EU parliament doing something useful again. Lately they've been getting nothing but bad press for the whole Euro-Greece-Spain thing.

Well, let's be fair, the EU can't really do anything about that. It's Germany that's been dragging its feet. (Not that the UK is entirely blameless, with PM Cameron being so pro austerity.)

Germany is doing what is best for germany. Can't fault that logic. The EU is not a country. In the end everyone in the EU is still out for his own interests. That's why they should never have implemented the euro. And it's greece and spains own god damn fault. In spain a large portion of their economy was based on building infrastructure. Not on exporting goods (which is how a country makes his money in the most basic sense). My brothers girlfriend is from spain. She still lives there now and even she says it is their own fault. The Spaniards don't really have a strong work ethic either (again, her words).

And greece, don't even get me started. 20 years ago they we're all farming goats and now 1/20 cars is a friggin porsche. Nuff said.

Thedutchjelle:

Alterego-X:
EU FUCK YEAH!

Hahaha

You can't be serious. :\

OT: Nice to see EU parliament doing something useful again. Lately they've been getting nothing but bad press for the whole Euro-Greece-Spain thing.

Yeah got to agree with this guy here, the EU joining would be terrible and it would never happen. On the topic though, it makes me smile that the EU does this, it shows they have a lot of sense.

Has anyone read the bill or is everyone just reading others opinion of what the bill is? Where can I get a copy of the bill that was rejected?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here