Scientist Invents World's First Perfectly Healthy Pizza

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I'm confused. A pizza with numerous toppings contains the four basic food groups. It contains bread, meat, cheese, and vegetation. Why were we tampering with this?

Loop Stricken:

viranimus:
Except its scientists... and wherever scientests are involved that means something like this will likely be pushed out to market without proper long term testing and in 10 years we realize that the seaweed component actually causes terminal boneitis or something.

Not falling for it.

Yes, because nothing scientists have ever done has ever benefited mankind. At all.

Totally.

Right, and nothing scientist have said has ever been proven horrifically wrong, or you know, not ended up killing people.

So no.. when it comes to scienctists and "creating" things that go into human bodies, No I do not trust them nor have they done anything to deserve such trust.

Totally.

UK, you'd better share that stuff. You saw what we did to Iraq for their oil, and we value that stuff about a quarter as much as pizza. You don't wanna KNOW what we'll do for this stuff.

According to 100 taste testers, the nutritional pizza is ranked as good or better than other frozen pizzas currently available on the market.

thats because frozen pizzas on the market are, well, unedible. your not going to beat my homemade pizza. but kudos for trying.

I'm going to go make pizza now.

Kinguendo:
I was surprised the Scots created this, though I am always glad when people smash national stereotypes.

"Scottish scientists create perfectly healthy pizza... fry it"
I'm sorry to say this was my first thought. But I have eaten deep fried Mars bar, there is no denying!

viranimus:

Right, and nothing scientist have said has ever been proven horrifically wrong, or you know, not ended up killing people.

So no.. when it comes to scienctists and "creating" things that go into human bodies, No I do not trust them nor have they done anything to deserve such trust.

Totally.

/facepalm

You know those things... those things called medicine? That make people better? You know, aspirin, penicillin, all that stuff?

Guess who made those. No, really. Guess. I'll give you a hint: it begins with "s" and ends with "-motherfucking-cientists".

BUT NO! Feel free to live in your paranoid little world, where scientists are bad and kill people, and the fact that we live about 3 times as much as we did before they came along NEVER FUCKING HAPPENED. Then I can just pretend your viewpoint isn't gushing with neanderthal levels of ignorance.

Ryans Solution:

DVS BSTrD:
I still refuse to call it a vegetable!

Agreed!

Another food I want made "healthier" is bacon... without it being made out of something other than pigs. I eat bacon every meal I can and it would be appreciated if I could avoid death in the process.

but why?

imagine they made a bacon that tastes and crisps like the real thing but is made out of soy or another plant.

why would you care if it is not from an animal?

it doesnt make any damn sense!

poiumty:

viranimus:

Totally.

Guess. I'll give you a hint: it begins with "s" and ends with "-motherfucking-cientists".

smotherfuckin cientists. never heard of those....

I love pizza, and I applaud these scientists for what they've done. Seaweed to salt the dough - ingenious! And they're already turning their sights towards making other kinds of junkfood healthy... my my my, the possibilities! :D
Hopefully this product will really take off, and eventually make its way over to continental Europe.

I knew those Scots would save us eventually.

Kinguendo:
I was surprised the Scots created this, though I am always glad when people smash national stereotypes.

Really? I thought it was pretty much in-line with the Scottish stereotype.

"I really want a deep-fried pizza, but my doctor says if I have one more I might develop megacancer...wait a tick, I know!"

=D

OT:

The question remains - is it tastier than Dominos Pizza? If it is, then I will never stop buying this product.

Mr.Tea:
"World's first"?

What a load of bullshit. Just making a pizza with good ingredients is already a healthy and very well-rounded meal.
Just because people can't be arsed to choose and eat good food themselves doesn't make this a world first by any stretch of the imagination.

OK, eat a pizza for every meal for a month and get back to me with your health records :D

Or, y'know... read the entire article

LavaLampBamboo:
So... this is it right? This is the beginning of the revolutionary point in history when we finally turn science towards making all food healthy and it becomes possible to eat basically anything for dinner and not be too concerned about, you know dying young?

BECAUSE THAT'D BE COOL GUYS

Yup.

Soon you'll be able to have a triple bacon cheeseburger with 4 kinds of cheese and fried chicken on top and not feel like you may die immediately afterwards!

Make it happen Science!

I can't wait to try it! Seems good, especially if the taters claim it tastes just as good as, if not better than, regular pizza.

Of course, if it tastes like crap then I doubt I'd buy it again, but I'm keeping a very open and favourable mind towards it.

the country that brough the world bagpipes, men in kilts with big scary swords and haggis now brings us healthy pizza :) go scotland !

The bloke's name is great, "lean". Quality.

Edit - Damn you Dags90, getting there first and pointing it out already and stuff.

BrionJames:
Uh hello Scottish health scientists? Please make a healthy version of the bacon cheeseburger. I love those things but don't want to die in my 40's because of them.

Lose the bun (and the fries that probably accompany it). Seriously, it's the carbs, particularly from wheat which cause weight gain, diabetes and heart disease. I wouldn't have some fast food bacon cheeseburger everyday or anything, but if you lose the bun it'll be a lot less bad for you. Make them at home with some grass fed ground beef and it would be even better.

On a related note, unless this Pizza is doing away with the wheat crust and still includes some good quality meat, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole if I held any illusions of eating a healthy meal.

Vivi22:

BrionJames:
Uh hello Scottish health scientists? Please make a healthy version of the bacon cheeseburger. I love those things but don't want to die in my 40's because of them.

Lose the bun (and the fries that probably accompany it). Seriously, it's the carbs, particularly from wheat which cause weight gain, diabetes and heart disease. I wouldn't have some fast food bacon cheeseburger everyday or anything, but if you lose the bun it'll be a lot less bad for you. Make them at home with some grass fed ground beef and it would be even better.

On a related note, unless this Pizza is doing away with the wheat crust and still includes some good quality meat, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole if I held any illusions of eating a healthy meal.

The bread isn't the unhealthy part of a bacon cheese-burger it's the enormous fat content in every single item of the burger between the buns. Please don't make me get science out to show how bread is healthy, the Atkins diet is not healthy and I'm fairly sure this is what you're extoling.

nikki191:
the country that brough the world bagpipes, men in kilts with big scary swords and haggis now brings us healthy pizza :) go scotland !

They also brought us deep-fried mars bars. Just... that seemed worth mentioning given the topic of discussion.

Scotland. Healthy.

I bet its disgusting. There's no such thing as a healthy but nice pizza.
Just looked at the article and its made of seaweed. Hell no.

Also its so small it will have the same problem most healthy food has, its so unfilling you have to eat 2 or 3 of them to actually constitute a meal, making it no longer healthy. They say its supposed to give you 30% of you days nutrients. There's no way in hell that tiny thing is gonna fill you up for 30% of the day.

Pretty cool but it'll probably cost a ton and I doubt it tastes that good.

On another note, what is it with all the people in here fetishizing bacon?
Expand your fast food horizon, try one of those:
I'm not even sure they need to be "made healthy".

They have my vote for a nobel prize if they need it.

CaptainMarvelous:
The bread isn't the unhealthy part of a bacon cheese-burger it's the enormous fat content in every single item of the burger between the buns. Please don't make me get science out to show how bread is healthy, the Atkins diet is not healthy and I'm fairly sure this is what you're extoling.

If all you're going to do is trot out some poorly performed and reported observational studies which every meta-analysis I've seen has shown have failed to demonstrate a consistent, reproducible link between dietary fat and heart disease, then yes, I'd ask you not get the "science" to show that bread is healthy. This is to say nothing of the fact that the mechanisms behind heart disease, namely inflammation damaging arterial walls and small LDL particles in the blood filling in the damaged artery walls, are known to result from uncontrolled blood sugar and a process called Glycation. One of the leading direct causes being wheat since government and people who should know better have been pushing ungodly amounts of the stuff on the population for years. Small LDL particles aren't created by the body in sufficient quantities to be a problem until you over consume carbohydrates. Even better is that the worrisome levels of triglycerides many people deal with are produced in the body when insufficient levels of dietary fat, including saturated fats, are being consumed. I hate to break it to you, but the dietary recommendations government has been pushing for decades are practically a recipe book for having a fat, diabetic population dying of heart disease.

And if you don't believe that bread wreaks havoc on blood sugar I'd recommend buying a blood glucose meter and testing your own blood sugar an hour after having a couple of pieces of toast.

If you'd like to learn a bit more on the subject, feel free to read the book Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis. It was quite thoroughly researched, sourced, and is well written so it's a surprisingly easy read given the subject matter. I could recommend more books if you'd like, though one written by a cardiologist who's treated thousands of patients who either were developing or had already developed heart disease by getting them to cut out wheat products and sugar is pretty compelling. Even more compelling is that the results of his dietary recommendations were consistent and reproducible.

And I'm not extolling any particular diet save one that recognizes that uncontrolled spikes in blood glucose are the biggest issue facing modern human health and removes the largest contributors to it.

Does that mean Pizza is now officially a vegatable in Scotland?

Because this reason makes far more sense for it to be.

Vivi22:

CaptainMarvelous:

If all you're going to do is trot out some poorly performed and reported observational studies which every meta-analysis I've seen has shown have failed to demonstrate a consistent, reproducible link between dietary fat and heart disease, then yes, I'd ask you not get the "science" to show that bread is healthy. This is to say nothing of the fact that the mechanisms behind heart disease, namely inflammation damaging arterial walls and small LDL particles in the blood filling in the damaged artery walls, are known to result from uncontrolled blood sugar and a process called Glycation. One of the leading direct causes being wheat since government and people who should know better have been pushing ungodly amounts of the stuff on the population for years. Small LDL particles aren't created by the body in sufficient quantities to be a problem until you over consume carbohydrates. Even better is that the worrisome levels of triglycerides many people deal with are produced in the body when insufficient levels of dietary fat, including saturated fats, are being consumed. I hate to break it to you, but the dietary recommendations government has been pushing for decades are practically a recipe book for having a fat, diabetic population dying of heart disease.

And if you don't believe that bread wreaks havoc on blood sugar I'd recommend buying a blood glucose meter and testing your own blood sugar an hour after having a couple of pieces of toast.

If you'd like to learn a bit more on the subject, feel free to read the book Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis. It was quite thoroughly researched, sourced, and is well written so it's a surprisingly easy read given the subject matter. I could recommend more books if you'd like, though one written by a cardiologist who's treated thousands of patients who either were developing or had already developed heart disease by getting them to cut out wheat products and sugar is pretty compelling. Even more compelling is that the results of his dietary recommendations were consistent and reproducible.

And I'm not extolling any particular diet save one that recognizes that uncontrolled spikes in blood glucose are the biggest issue facing modern human health and removes the largest contributors to it.

Right, so to clarify you are saying that heart disease is caused by bread that contains Low Density Lipoproteins and encourages the flow of cholesterol rather than the excessive consumption of cholestrol? Heart disease is not caused by fat but by having a means to collect that fat, the actual fat content is irrelevant? This is your stance? That dietary fat doesn't cause heart disease, eating bread does. Just... going to leave that argument alone for now because I think we need a stronger point addressed here.

Why do you think bread contains LDL? I seem to be struggling to find a scientific source with evidence or figures or... well, anything. A lot of sites claiming they know more than doctors about medicine but that's it. Even given that it is true, the process you describe makes significantly more sense if you assume a source high in glycerol was responsible like... sugar. Wheat has been a staple food of a certain portion of humanity for years, and ignoring the 1% with Coeliacs disease is generally non-harmful. If you were to argue bread now contains more SUGAR (which it does) you're argument would hold more merit as well as making more sense. Alternatively, a scientific journal that reports it would be nice.

As many have said, this is bull. I've been making healthy pizzas for years, last week it was a 900 kcal's for a 16". Wholemeal base with fresh herbs, home made tomato sauce, fresh chili, peppers, onion, lean meat topping with low fat cheese. Perfect?

Fanghawk:
Scientist Invents World's First Perfectly Healthy Pizza

Scottish brainiacs have developed a nutritionally balanced pizza that can (and should) be eaten three times a day.

Pizza is a surprisingly complex food. It's delicious, relatively easy to make, and can be created with a near infinite variety of toppings. You may prefer other meals, but the odds are pretty low that anyone will build specialized restaurants around them that deliver right to your doorstep. The only problem is that eating copious amounts of pizza on a regular basis lends itself to an early death via heart disease or diabetes. But since nobody in their right mind was ever going to stop eating pizza to prevent little things like heart attacks, a Scottish team at Glasgow University has done a great service to humankind: they designed "nutritionally balanced" pizzas that can be consumed for every meal without putting yourself into a coma.

It all began when Professor Mike Lean of the university's human nutrition department became frustrated with the nutritional content of processed meals. "They contain as much salt as you should have in a whole day or more," Lane said. "They contain as much saturated fat as you should have in a whole day or more. The nutrients we need every day are absent from these meals. Nobody has thought about it. So I got together with [Eat Balanced Founder Donnie Maclean] to try to do this."

Using pizza as an example of "common foods eaten in huge numbers" that could be consumed at any time of day, Lean and Maclean started looking at ways to raise nutrient and vitamin content while lowering calories and carbohydrates to reasonable levels. The final product, using nutrient-rich seaweed in the dough, can actually meet most of the body's needs when eaten three times a day. "Each pizza gives a complete meal, with all the nutrients in it, for 30% of your day," Maclean explained.

But is it any good? According to 100 taste testers, the nutritional pizza is ranked as good or better than other frozen pizzas currently available on the market. United Kingdom Supermarkets are already in talks to bring the pizzas to their stores, but Lean and Maclean are moving on to develop recipes for nutritionally balanced fish and chips. Seriously.

While we'll have to wait and see whether nutritionally balanced meals will make their way to North America, please feel free to share which favorite artery-clogging meal you'd like to see a healthy version of in the comments.

Source: BBC via Gizmodo

From the country that gave us deep fried pizza I say Fuckin' hypocrits - I think I spelled that wrong...anyways...

But seriously pizza was never meant to eaten 3 times a day. It is an indulgence. Something to be eaten on the weekends when you know you've done a good weeks work and fuck it! I'm having pizza!!!

The fact that scientists are out there trying their best to make something unhealthy, healthy so they can justify living off it instead of...oh I don't know learning to eat properly...makes me think creationism is a good idea.

Give these men a Nobel prize.

I think we all agree... IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME.

The specialty of "Subtle ways to improve the little things in life" have been lacking as of late.

At long last, we have found Ambrosia!

As for a less-than-healthy food I would like to see get a similar treatment... doughnuts. Doughnuts are my number-one guilty pleasure and when I eat them, I always have too many. If they could balance them nutritionally without changing the flavor for worse, my life would be complete.

This is what we should have been doing all along - Not trying to make healthy food appealing, but make appealing food healthy.

Bring on healthy chocolate please.

CaptainMarvelous:
Why do you think bread contains LDL? I seem to be struggling to find a scientific source with evidence or figures or... well, anything.

I didn't say it does contain LDL. I said that small-LDL particles, the ones which actually clog arteries, are produced in the body through Glycation. A process which only occurs as a result of the body processing glucose. Wheat products just happen to send blood glucose sky rocketing in most people resulting in setting the whole process of the body producing small LDL in motion.

Wheat's effect on blood glucose is almost, if not as bad as pure table sugar.

I'd be happy to provide some sources when I'm actually at home and have better access to them.

Wheat has been a staple food of a certain portion of humanity for years, and ignoring the 1% with Coeliacs disease is generally non-harmful.

It's been a staple for a tiny fraction of human history. And since wheat rarely kills before we reproduce (since type 2 diabetes and heart disease rarely developed before puberty, or at least, used to), there's been next to no evolutionary pressure to adapt to. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that modern wheat, a product which has been extensively altered at the genetic level to the point where it's nothing like what your grandparents ate not to mention never underwent human testing prior to being put into use, has a much greater impact on blood glucose than the stuff we were eating even 75 years ago, to say nothing of 1,000 years ago or more.

Coeliac disease is on the rise as a result, as are obesity, diabetes, and heart disease. Big surprise since it's a main ingredient in a lot of the processed garbage people eat. Oh, and it also happens to stimulate appetite and is mildly addictive (possessing compounds called exorphins which act on the same parts of the brain opiates do to produce a mild high), meaning people will choose to consume more because they feel hungry sooner and they'll be after that mild high and sugar rush when they inevitably crash post meal.

But here's the thing, even if you don't buy that it causes heart disease, it's effect on blood glucose is known and measurable, and insulin's (released by the pancreas to control blood glucose spikes) role in fat storage is quite well known and documented in scientific literature. And to fail to put two and two together and realize the blood glucose spikes lead to overproduction of insulin, which leads to fat storage and pancreatic damage and the resultant type 2 diabetes would require someone to be willfully blind. Never mind the fact that when you ignore the half-assed observational studies out there which try and push an agenda they can't support by design and look at clinical and intervention studies instead, the relationships become apparent.

But if you're going to hold to the idea that dietary fat and overall blood cholesterol are the actual causes of heart disease, then I guess by that logic, Statin's should work in preventing it given that they artificially lower blood cholesterol. Except that the only group of people who've ever shown even a modest benefit from them in studies are middle aged men who already have heart disease. And even then the benefit is quite small. So if dietary fat is actually the issue, why have heart disease rates been shooting upwards for decades despite more people eating low fat diets and drugs which reduce cholesterol? I guess everyone is just ignoring the government guidelines now, yet somehow were doing a lot better before government ever got involved and people somehow knew less about diet and ate more saturated fat?

First, good job, science.

Second, healthy sodas. Make it so.

Now make it gluten-free.
...Please?

This is so awesome!
Really need to say to my boss that we start importing this shit!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here