Rise for This Live Action Assassin's Creed III Trailer

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Rise for This Live Action Assassin's Creed III Trailer

The latest Assassin's Creed trailer shows you the price of freedom.

There's another Assassin's Creed trailer out, and while it doesn't show any gameplay it does introduce you to the game world. Soldiers, politicians, farmers, mothers and children, all stand up against the British Empire and say No More. The trailer was released for the 4th of July, also known in the United States as Independence Day; the date when the Declaration of Independence was finally approved and signed.

The latest entrant to the franchise is set in colonial America and features half-Mohawk Connor Kenway Ratonhnhaké:ton as the eponymous killer. The game's timeline will stretch up to 1783, so it ends in the same year that the Treaty of Paris which ended the Revolutionary War - and pretty much trampled on the concerns of Mohawks like Connor - is signed.

Assassin's Creed III is due out in October for those with consoles, and in November for the PC brigade.

Source: Kotaku

Nice to see they're going for a nice even balance between the two sides...

Seriously though wtf happened to the 'everyone is a shade of grey' that previous AC games used? All I got from that was "The British are c***s, lets kill them"

I knew ubisoft would buckle and make America the good guys, cant risk offending weak sensibilities in their biggest market, never mind creative integrity.

Clever calling it "Rise", because it sure seems to have gotten one!

When I refuse to learn the history of a country I will never see?

What a ridiculous, American attitude. I'm rooting for the British.

So this is The Patriot in video game form, right?

Now to hope there's an alternate ending in which the British win. Realism? History? Screw that.

"no, we will not be anti-Britain." well, your advertising seems to disagree. sorry, but i thought we were assassinating on both sides? so why do i only see blood on the redcoats? i thought that it would be interesting seeing this event from a perspective of a native-american. because for him it doesn't make any difference who wins. but no, Americans are the good guys and the British are bad.

It's making it damn hard for me to like this game as a Brit. I mean it's saying we're the bad guys pretty damn clearly despite that being less than true ( http://www.cracked.com/article_18442_5-reasons-founding-fathers-were-kind-dicks.html ).

There's definitely some preposterous notion of black and white that's being enforced by this game. The past two Assassins Creed games weren't even remotely based on the conflict of the time and it had you assassinating people on both sides of the war.

I mean I know it's only a game but for a series that accurately represented the cities of the time to the point that it's instantly recognisable to people who've been there, it doesn't seem to care even remotely for an accurate portrayal of the war.

Be interesting if theres an alternate one for the UK advert.

I'm still rooting for there to be some twist as betrayal and wrongful causes are all over the Assassins Creed franchise, the internet aftermath could be fun to watch and throw popcorn at too.

Lumber Barber:
So this is The Patriot in video game form, right?

Yeah, pretty much.

Karma168:

Seriously though wtf happened to the 'everyone is a shade of grey' that previous AC games used? All I got from that was "The British are c***s, lets kill them"

I was fairly sure that attitude went out of the window by AC2, which is why the first one is still my favourite in the series, they brought it back in Revelations, at least, but something about Revelations just bored me and the showmanship of the combat was kinda taking away from the, already awkward, flow by that point.

I wish I'd used the 'country I'll never see' argument when I was doing the American West in GCSE history. Besides, what's the kid going to learn? By this point there was barely two centuries of 'American History'

Hmm. 10 posts in, and no one's made a joking comment comparing that last look of Connor to any of the Dark Knight Rises posters? I'm proud of you guys.

I don't mind there being evil redcoats. But I've been hoping Ubi would do something intelligent and well written, this just looks like they went the easiest route to appeal to the american market.

Shame.

it needs more bald eagles, air jets, rock music and explosions.
this should fix it to some extend

and for the rest of the "world"

Karma168:

I knew ubisoft would buckle and make America the good guys, cant risk offending weak sensibilities in their biggest market, never mind creative integrity.

could it be that they are french developers and just hate the british?

so much for staying neutral. the only americans you going to kill in the game are the more known 'traitors' to freedom like Benedict Arnold...

DalekJaas:

Yeah, that one quote pretty much speaks for itself. (I've studied history, and didn't know whether to laugh or curse at that point, so I did both...) I still look forward to the game, as the gameplay seems as solid as ever, but I'm really worried about the story here...
By the way, anyone seen that figurine included in the most expensive pre-order package? Guess they haven't made one with the British flag yet...

Ubisoft - "We will not be anti-British!"

Really? Well lets see what's we've got so far.

- Box art with a British solider 2 seconds away from getting a tomahawk in the face.

- Limited Edition not being released in Britain

- Trailer pretty much making out that the British are actually Mordors orcs in disguise.

Being British, I have no problem playing this game and tomahawking some Brits, but come on.

DalekJaas:

Yeah, no kidding. As a military history major I found that line morbidly offensive. I understand that there are people who don't like history, but just the way the line was delivered came off extremely bigoted.

Man, I'm so glad this thing helped me understand how the colonial British were essentially orcs.

I'm hoping this is mostly a marketing ploy. "Going after the patriot dollar" as a marketing guy would say (if he wanted to sound like a twat). But ever since I heard the setting was Revolution-Era America I've been expecting the game to be just about as skewed and one-sided as everything concerning the American Revolutionary War.

1) The guy caning that kid is the fucking spit of Harrison Ford

2) Either they're ripping the shit out of Americans with that kid, or that line is just straight-faced embarrassing

DalekJaas:

That line seriously took the piss.

The British did some really cuntish things in its time as Top Dog but in the Americas it was, comparatively speaking, white as the driven snow.

Woodsey:
2) Either they're ripping the shit out of Americans with that kid, or that line is just straight-faced embarrassing

That's the thing, it was delivered straight faced with not a hint anywhere in the trailer of a dissenting opinion or sarcasm. My eyes literally goggled at that line.

If it is a stealthy dig then it is possibly the most po faced delivery I've ever seen.

As an American, I can kinda see why so many people would be pissed at this. :/

Well if it makes you guys feel better, I won't be buying this game. Although that's mainly because I lost interest in the first game part-way though.

Haha, the comments in this thread are among the funniest I have seen. They released that trailer yesterday because it was Independence Day in America. People on the internet can be really really thick headed when it comes to Anti-American sentiment.

I don't know why people are having such a hard time dealing with this trailer. It's a game trailer. Last time I checked, this doesn't mimic real life in any form, nor does it advertise itself as a history lesson.

Daveman:
It's making it damn hard for me to like this game as a Brit. I mean it's saying we're the bad guys pretty damn clearly despite that being less than true ( http://www.cracked.com/article_18442_5-reasons-founding-fathers-were-kind-dicks.html ).

There's definitely some preposterous notion of black and white that's being enforced by this game. The past two Assassins Creed games weren't even remotely based on the conflict of the time and it had you assassinating people on both sides of the war.

I mean I know it's only a game but for a series that accurately represented the cities of the time to the point that it's instantly recognisable to people who've been there, it doesn't seem to care even remotely for an accurate portrayal of the war.

First of all, cracked is a comedy sight, and I never take anything on there for fact. Secondly, I have a theory that the Colonist Templars are going to be a big part of the story line, so they can't show to much of them or else we'll get spoilers. So calm your shit, brit.

Despite the heavy handed anti-Brit approach, I'm still excited for this game.

Although when it comes to the Assassins Creed series all my objectivity seems to go out of the window.

I'm Australian so that's neutral I guess

The line where the kid talks of talks of not learning the history of a country he will never see just reeks of idiocy. Could be worse, they could be burning books and British flags.

Perhaps not depicting the brits as being vile scum rather than just another bunch of poor sods on the other side of the war would have had people calling them unpatriotic. This is a big deal for some reason other than just being a cause for vilification and even violence. I wonder if they include things criticizing the course of Americas development as a country such as 'we killed almost all of this lands native people and for that we are all bastards' like they do in Australia (a large history of racism that also included slavery). I believe they do but do you think there are bits they cover up?

I like the game play of these games and will probably be able to play it without drawing parallels to reality (this sentence seems better in my head) and I will probably still enjoy it.

I'd love to see them make a game about the war of 1812, they'd probably omit the British troops stationed in Canada torching the white house.

Baresark:
Haha, the comments in this thread are among the funniest I have seen. They released that trailer yesterday because it was Independence Day in America. People on the internet can be really really thick headed when it comes to Anti-American sentiment.

I don't know why people are having such a hard time dealing with this trailer. It's a game trailer. Last time I checked, this doesn't mimic real life in any form, nor does it advertise itself as a history lesson.

The Ass Creed games have always been pretty even handed in how they portray their characters and factions; those loosely based on real world counterparts anyway. This is why all the publicity for this game comes over badly, because even handed it is not.

I'm not overly bothered, I don't buy new Ubisoft games for my PC, but when I do eventually pick up my used console copy I'd like it to have a decent story; not be some American Patriot's fantasy wank off material.

Oh dear God a trailer released on American Independence Day that's clearly advertising a game made in Canada by a French company to Americans is pandering to a romantic American view of the American Revolution. How unexpected! Remember when they advertised all those Christians and Chosen People of God you were going to kill in the first Assassin's Creed? No? Huh, me neither. Why didn't I hear all the Russians crying about Cally of Duty: Let's Kill Some Ruskies, or whatever. Get some thicker skin, Brits. Yes we know it sucks that having a tiny land mass means you can only be a ghost of the mighty empire you used to be, but I think it's time to get over it.

captcha: move along

Ever since i first heard about the setting i knew they would end up doing the whole "AMERICA, FUCK YEA!" approach.

Doesn't really both me, as the gameplay is the best part of the series. But i'm still not sure if ubisoft were serious or massively taking the piss with this trailer, either way i find it funny.

I would really have preferred a different setting altogether though, there are so many more interesting stories, eras and places they could have picked from, its not like they were limited.

I don't really have a problem with who they're killing/not killing, the way I see it, everyone is fair game for a title like this, and it just happens to be our turn.

When it comes down to it, I don't think that many other British people making comments about this are complaining about British people being killed en masse, it's more in the way that it's presented.

It's hard to explain, and obviously Ubisoft have the right to market the game however they want, but it seems to be mostly presented in a less than respectful way, and focuses more on the fact that they're killing the British than showing off the story of the game, we know about the conflict already, knowing something about the game would be nice.

irmasterlol:
Oh dear God a trailer released on American Independence Day that's clearly advertising a game made in Canada by a French company to Americans is pandering to a romantic American view of the American Revolution. How unexpected! Remember when they advertised all those Christians and Chosen People of God you were going to kill in the first Assassin's Creed? No? Huh, me neither. Why didn't I hear all the Russians crying about Cally of Duty: Let's Kill Some Ruskies, or whatever. Get some thicker skin, Brits. Yes we know it sucks that having a tiny land mass means you can only be a ghost of the mighty empire you used to be, but I think it's time to get over it.

Having a small landmass did nothing to stop the English from creating a massive empire so why would it have caused the collapse of that very same empire?

I'm also a little confused by Christians and chosen people of god line. Aren't they the same thing in much the same way that Muslims are also the chosen people of god etc.

I'm not sure about you but the only vid Ive seen of a Russian man and call of duty combined was that very same Russian man filling his copy of the game with bullet holes.

I.Muir:

irmasterlol:

Having a small landmass did nothing to stop the English from creating a massive empire so why would it have caused the collapse of that very same empire?

I'm also a little confused by Christians and chosen people of god line. Aren't they the same thing in much the same way that Muslims are also the chosen people of god etc.

I'm not sure about you but the only vid Ive seen of a Russian man and call of duty combined was that very same Russian man filling his copy of the game with bullet holes.

After WWII there was a massive decolonization movement that granted independence to most of Britain's empire, leaving what's left almost laughably small by comparison. Being a small island doesn't matter when you're free to run about conquering whatever you think would look good on your map, but since that's no longer the case, then no more mighty empire for you.

Actually one of the big points of contrast between Christianity and Judaism or Islam is that the Christians don't believe people are chosen by god but rather that it is a personal choice. Ubisoft made a point of calling it 'The Holy Land' and not Israel or Palestine. Just like they made a point of having the people call themselves 'The chosen people of god' and not Muslims.

I guess there are just fewer Russians to complain at my usual Internet haunts. Also I didn't follow any of the news fo the CoD franchise, so that could explain why I never noticed.

So on the US Independence Day a trailer for a game set during the revolutionary war has an anti-Brit slant? HOW DARE THEY! /sarcasm off.

This isn't a game set in the modern era. This s a game set during a war pre-information age and far far removed from the political correctness that is rampant today. Grow a thicker skin and GET OVER IT! So a child born in the colonies in the 1700s doesn't want to learn the history of the country that's oppressing him and his family? Sounds reasonable to me. If someone was stepping on you and ruining your life, would you give 2 shits about why they were doing it? No. Would you want to sympathize with the armies saccing your towns? And if you do, please explain, I'd love to read it.

It stands to reason that British history books might read a little differently than the American ones but do you really want to start this shitstorm over a game trailer? If you hate the game so much, then don't buy it. I for one will be. Not because I'm of the "AMERICA HELL YEA!" persuasion. I'm not a white southern card-carrying NRA redneck. No. I'm buying it for the ship battles!

Hey guys maybe you should calm down because I'm pretty they are not going to show some twists in trailers as to why you would kill some americains. Just chill and wait for the game to be out before passing final judgment on the quantity of people you kill.

Karma168:

Yes, because if this ad campaign has shown anything, it's that British people can't possibly be phased by something so petty as this. Oh wait.

The kid's line is retarded. You honestly couldn't come up with anything better?

As for the rest of the stuff, it's a July 4th advertisement, what were you expecting. Maybe now that independence day has passed we'll see more of Connor killing colonists.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here